General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Input on pulling the trigger on an IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-16 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Input on pulling the trigger on an IM

I'm sure this isn't the first time this question has been asked but I'll ask it again. I toy with signing up for an IM once in a while. Or rather, I toy with it all the time, but sometimes actually seriously toy with it. My tri background is 2 HIMs, several sprints and a couple of OLYs. Training for the two HIMs was manageable with my other life obligations, thanks to a lot of flexibility with work and my wife being OK with it. I'm weighing up doing the Beach to Battleship full distance in November this year. I have a fairly full summer with lots of travel so I would do my best to maintain what fitness I have from my HIM in May and would have 12 weeks (once my final trip is done in the summer) to concentrate on IM training. I know most plans are 16-20 weeks but I figure my base is OK with solid training all year, except for the last month which has been easy for the most part.

My biggest worry is the impact on my family (and me not wanting to sacrifice too much time with them) but I think I can manage the peak training weeks by, for instance, taking half a day off from work and doing my long ride then, rather than on weekends. Weekends can be long run time, because the time commitment is so much less. The race would be flat so trainer rides are also good prep and I can have the kids in the room while training. I'm actually thinking of offering up football season for IM training...my wife might actually jump at that idea! haha

I'd like to do this in 2010 because it looks like 2011 is going to be very busy (for reasons I won't go into here/now). Or I could NOT do it and go back to my original plan of just sprints and olys for the rest of this season (and next...and the one after that probably). But I really want to. Just looking for a reality check/pointers/screams of horror, etc. Thoughts?

2010-06-16 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2925723

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Input on pulling the trigger on an IM

Go for it. You have done two halfs and have a good base. You training plan is sound.

2010-06-16 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
I'm going to say wait.

It's a big committment time wise. A Ironman and it's training is more than the sum of two halves.

I think it would be wiser to wait. Your training to date looks to be consistent, but topping out around 400 min/week. You will need to double that... at least. Factor in additional recovery time, the additional sleep/rest/food needed...the vacation time with the family...  I think if you're asking the question, you already know the answer.
2010-06-16 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2926157

User image

Extreme Veteran
Whizzzzz - 2010-06-16 3:39 PM I'm going to say wait.

It's a big committment time wise. A Ironman and it's training is more than the sum of two halves.

I think it would be wiser to wait. Your training to date looks to be consistent, but topping out around 400 min/week. You will need to double that... at least. Factor in additional recovery time, the additional sleep/rest/food needed...the vacation time with the family...  I think if you're asking the question, you already know the answer.

Thanks for the input. I actually topped out at about 600+ mins/week for the month preceding my HIM (in April). I've been taking it easy the past month and doing shorter stuff, so no 3hr rides to up the training time :-)
2010-06-16 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
I do it now, just because people who say they have a busy year (i.e. 2011) usually have a busy year after that, and that.  Its hard to predict the future, so you could be in a position at 2012 that you are too busy as well then your window for doing it has dissapeared...wait the world ends in 2012, so I'd do it now!
2010-06-16 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
You def have the training base to finish an IM.  And it sounds like you've got the time management more-or-less figured out.

If your wife is on board and it's an important goal for you, go for it.  You might not get another chance.

2010-06-16 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Burlington
Do you want to complete or compete?  With your background I think you could complete an IM with 12 weeks of training.

If you want to compete, I'd say wait until you can make a bigger commitment.

Just my 2 cents
2010-06-17 5:23 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
You're already suggesting 2011 will be worse for training than 2010. 

So the question becomes: 

This year?

2012?

Beyond 2012?

Never? 

Will the 12 weeks in 2010 get you from HIM fitness to IM fitness?  Most likely.  How much will it screw up family schedules?  You and the family will have to sort that one out, but in the grand scheme of things, 12 weeks is nothing.  (OTOH, those 12 weeks could be the final nail in a coffin you've been working on for years...

The odds of "never" increase the further you put it off...
2010-06-18 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2929031

User image

Extreme Veteran
McFuzz - 2010-06-17 6:23 PMYou're already suggesting 2011 will be worse for training than 2010. 

So the question becomes: 

This year?

2012?

Beyond 2012?

Never? 

Will the 12 weeks in 2010 get you from HIM fitness to IM fitness?  Most likely.  How much will it screw up family schedules?  You and the family will have to sort that one out, but in the grand scheme of things, 12 weeks is nothing.  (OTOH, those 12 weeks could be the final nail in a coffin you've been working on for years...

2010-06-18 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2929031

User image

Extreme Veteran
McFuzz - 2010-06-17 6:23 PM You're already suggesting 2011 will be worse for training than 2010. 

So the question becomes: 

This year?

2012?

Beyond 2012?

Never? 

I think you are spot-on McFuzz. If I don't do this now it will be a long while before I do it (not that that is a good reason to do something). And no worries on the 12 weeks being the final nail in the coffin- I've been talking this through with my wife throughout and she is OK with it all. She just doesn't want me to hurt myself. :-)
2010-06-18 8:27 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
You have a great fitness base for a full so if you didn't want to race your first one competitively (more so with the goal to experience and finish one) then you could totally be ready for a full in 3 months.  Check out the BT 1/2 IM to full bridge plan.  It essentially takes you from the half distance (which you already have the base for) and bulids you to the IM distnace in 3 months.  I used that plan for my first IM and it worked really well.  Check out the plan and the weekly volume so you have a better idea time wise what you'd be getting yourself into.

IM training is a huge sacrifice but you can make it work without compromising everything if you really want to.  You seem to be very aware of not letting your training interfere with family time.  The IM trianing will interefere- probably the most on the weekends with the long stuff, but you could work something out if you wanted to.  I say do it!!

2010-06-18 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Hey I could use a partner as I train for B2B HIM. Now you will have to go a little longer than me, but I am there for a couple 80 milers  Tongue out
2010-06-19 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh
i'll do it if you do it 
2010-06-19 8:44 AM

User image

This discussion is a great lead-in to my follow-up question - I'm coming off a recent HIM and am looking forward to the potential of a full IM a couple years out (I have a goal of completing an Ultramarathon scheduled for next April).  What if I know I can "complete" a full IM (not really into the "compete" aspect), however; support from my spouse is not there?  It doesn't only revolve around the training time committment, hence lack of family time - but the entry fee and associated costs as well.  She has been supportive of EVERYthing to this point but won't even consider this?  She is NOT a triathlete so I don't really think she understands the satisfaction of it all?  My heart says go for it, but my brain says "it might just be one of those things on the bucket list that just won't happen."   Any input or guidance it greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
2010-06-19 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2931549

User image

Extreme Veteran
tfischer - 2010-06-19 9:44 AM This discussion is a great lead-in to my follow-up question - I'm coming off a recent HIM and am looking forward to the potential of a full IM a couple years out (I have a goal of completing an Ultramarathon scheduled for next April).  What if I know I can "complete" a full IM (not really into the "compete" aspect), however; support from my spouse is not there?  It doesn't only revolve around the training time committment, hence lack of family time - but the entry fee and associated costs as well.  She has been supportive of EVERYthing to this point but won't even consider this?  She is NOT a triathlete so I don't really think she understands the satisfaction of it all?  My heart says go for it, but my brain says "it might just be one of those things on the bucket list that just won't happen."   Any input or guidance it greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Time for a long talk. See what McFuzz said above- it could be 12 weeks to the end :-) Seriously though, if your SO is not onboard with this (or anything else) it will create a lot of tension. And tension over finances adds another layer of complexity. If it is JUST about finances is there any way you can cut costs from somewhere else to pay for it? For me, if it were finances that were an issue I would offer up NFL Sunday Ticket as an equalizer. I think if I did that my wife would realize how serious I am :-) Anyway, lots of people turn these events into a mini vacation. Can you work something like that? I guess that adds cost. Talk to her man. See how firm that "no" is. If it is a firm "no" then proceed with caution and know it will put a stain on your relationship. For me, I wouldn't move forward without my spouse being OK with it (she doesn't have to love it, but she has to be OK with it). Now gimme back my thread :-)

@Scottie (Halfpint): I will keep you posted. Would be fun to have some more company doing it.
2010-06-19 12:21 PM

User image

Thanks for the advice louiskie! Although I don't especially like the reality of it, I do appreciate the words-o-wisdom!  Best luck in your adventure and the threads all you my friend

2010-06-21 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Good luck! It is hard to balance the family time.

One hard thing is trying to get in a long ride early on a weekend day, which is doable, but then coming home and being functional after - that's the challenge. I got lucky yesterday and after a killer bike where I felt sick after and could barely walk, I didn't have any family obligations and had someone to drive me home while I laid in the back seat and moaned. Normally, I would have to put on a happy face and take the kids to the zoo or something.

Also, if you sign up for it, apparently you cannot come back to this forum and bellyache about how hard it is to fit in the training. (See my thread on "10-hour barrier" - I'm in your same situation, in the thick of IM training now with two little kids and a full time job, and I basically got an HTFU and a "Suck it up, Buttercup.")

:-)
2010-06-21 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2933682

User image

Extreme Veteran
ahohl - 2010-06-21 9:43 AM Good luck! It is hard to balance the family time.

One hard thing is trying to get in a long ride early on a weekend day, which is doable, but then coming home and being functional after - that's the challenge. I got lucky yesterday and after a killer bike where I felt sick after and could barely walk, I didn't have any family obligations and had someone to drive me home while I laid in the back seat and moaned. Normally, I would have to put on a happy face and take the kids to the zoo or something.

Also, if you sign up for it, apparently you cannot come back to this forum and bellyache about how hard it is to fit in the training. (See my thread on "10-hour barrier" - I'm in your same situation, in the thick of IM training now with two little kids and a full time job, and I basically got an HTFU and a "Suck it up, Buttercup.")

:-)

I hear ya. Yeah, I read that thread with interest. I think everyone meant well though and love how you responded with a "heck, you think I can't do this...well, I'll show you!". But no, if I sign up I won't come back and grumble about the training load ;-)
2010-06-24 8:35 AM

User image

NH
To me the issue is clearly about the family side of it.  I think most of us on here have the discipline and determination to do the training required to finish an IM - in a vacuum.  But if we have families, that vacuum doesn't exist.  If the wife and kids are on board, and you're ok with the sacrifice, I say go for it.  But if they aren't there will be some strain and effect on the relationships - that's a price I'm not willing to pay, but YMMV.

I'm on the 3 year plan, by the way.  2 years of 70.3, and then move on to the 140.6.  If me and my body get through the first two years, everyone has agreed to go for the IM in 2012 - before the world ends!

Edited by wbayek 2010-06-24 8:42 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Input on pulling the trigger on an IM Rss Feed