Vineman, Inc.
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 45m 26s
Overall Rank = 680/2110
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 17/88
Pre-race routine:

On Saturday morning, I did a 20 minute swim on the course, from the start line out to the first bridge and back. The water temperature was wonderful and not too cold for my sleeveless wetsuit. Driving over to the expo, I got a little lost and actually ended up on Wohler Road to Westside which turned out to be miles 10-25 of the race course! I recognized it from last year once I started seeing all of the vineyards and there was some type of touring cycling event going on that day on the reverse route. Knew I would hit the highway at some point as we come close in the race, so found my way to the high school after that. Packet pickup was uneventful and I met some nice racers in line and at the T2 area. Left an ice pack on top of my fuel bottle wrapped in a towel, and left my Garmin 305 there, too. I think it was helpful to have driven this part of the course again to remind myself of all of the rollers!

Dinner was my normal pasta with tomato meat sauce, a grilled chicken breast and a small salad with balsamic vinegar/olive oil. Packed up my little T1 bag with just the essentials as this is a two transition zone race and we would need to put everything in a bag before leaving T1 so it could be transported to the finish line for us. Went to bed at 10 but woke up at 1am, 3am and 4:30am and figured, just get up and do my routine. Two servings of oatmeal, and one piece of pb toast, a half a peach and green tea.
Event warmup:

There is no swim warmup for this race. They let us in the water 8 minutes before our start so I swam a little.
Swim
  • 49m 6s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out on the left this time, since I tend to drift right a little bit, I figured if I kept people on my right, I could sight a little less and it would keep me on track. This strategy worked well for about 500 yards until the bulk of my wave started getting ahead of me. By then, I was in a good groove and just had to navigate the people walking, some from my wave and some from the previous men's wave. It was shallow off to the right and I think this slowed me down a little but thank goodness for my short arms! I finally figured out to move closer to the buoy line where it was deeper. Turnaround seemed to take forever! I got bumped like crazy after this point, similar to last year the bulk of the wave behind came right into me, but I stayed calm and continued on my course, even started to try to pick it up a little bit, but then started getting a calf cramp so backed off and just swam up to the finish. Got out of the water feeling great and thought I had at least a 45 minute swim, maybe less! Didn't bother to try to do the math, was happy to feel my feet on solid ground.
What would you do differently?:

Grow fins? I swam lots this year and took lessons. I don't do enough open water practice because of my aversion to the cold bay, however for this race(report), I made a promise to myself that I was not allowed to complain about a slow swim since I don't do enough open water practice. Zipping my lips. The important thing was that I felt really strong coming out of the water and ready to hit the bike.
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

Not sure why this took so long! I had to turn my Garmin 500 on again, I'm not sure why it turned off when I set it up early to be ready. Weird. Got my suit off really quickly, dried feet, socks on easily, shoes on, helmet and sunglasses on. Sprayed on sunscreen, shoved everything in the bag provided and took off jogging with my bike. Got to the mount area and clip my left foot in and the guy next to me gets in and veers in front of me and then falls right in front of me and his bottle starts rolling right under my bike. So I clip out, lean down to get it and then hand it to him and ask if he was okay. There is blood all over his elbow, and his saddle was all twisted. Sucks!!! He says no problem, go on ahead. So I move over, clip in again carefully and then spin up the hill. I felt bad for him, not a good way to start the bike, but it was a good reminder to be careful out there! But now that I write that, it explains why my Garmin read the bike at 2:49:06, since I had it on auto pause! Yay! Broke 2:50!

Not much. I'm glad I took the time to get the extra sunscreen on, saw lots of sunburned people out there later on.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really great on the bike. I was supposed to keep my power between 140-150, which is mid-zone 3 for me and I did a good job of that especially on the rollers. I think I used to coast the downhills but having the Quarq makes me work harder and I have less lost speed. I was drinking my 3 hour infinit every 15 minutes and chasing it with water. I was also drinking water as much as possible every 5-10 min, so took a bottle at mile 19, and filled my aerodrink back to the top.

I hit the halfway point at 1:24:xx and I was kind of amazed, I hadn't been sure what to expect speedwise and I had my computer showing only current power, speed, heartrate and elapsed time. I purposely took the distance traveled off of there because it makes me think about how far I have to go and I really wanted to focus on the here and now. There is a bottle exchange right after the halfway at mile 29, so I took my second bottle and filled my aerodrink bottle again. Saved the rest in my rear holder.

It was right about here that I realized I really needed to pee. Really badly. And fortuitously, there was a little downhill that I could see was coming up. And so I gave it a try and after the first time not working the second try did! Yahoo! Used the rest of that bottle to rinse off and felt so liberated! Drank lots of water after that and remembered to take two endurolytes. Did it again at mile 45 or so after the one hill. Well, the one bigger hill.

The bigger hill that came at mile 44 was not bad at all, I slowed to about 6 mph to stay in zone, but I had ridden Old La Honda so much these past few months during my long rides, so it really was very doable and my power stayed under 160.

After this it is pretty flat all the way back. I just realized that I didn't write much about other riders. This race is laid out really well, so there really isn't much drafting since it is a lot of up and down. The only part where it's flat enough to get into drafting situations is the first 5 miles along River Road and maybe the last stretch along Airport Rd. I was able to pretty much stay with my pace and not have to slow too often while getting passed or coming up on bunches of riders like I did at Oceanside.

Coming back down Windsor road, I peeked at my monitor and realized I was going to have a 2:50 bike split (my watch read 2:49:xx), and I was very pleased and felt good because I'd drank all my nutrition and almost 80 oz of water. Somewhere in there I took two more endurolytes.

Nothing!
Transition 2
  • 04m 21s
Comments:

Didn't rush through this (obviously). Had to change to nice fresh socks, thank goodness I had brought my favorites...as I had sort of planned to try the going on the bike thing this year. So that took a little extra time. Turned my watch on since it had been there all night and prayed it would pick up a satellite quickly. Got my stuff on, and sprayed sunscreen all over because it was super sunny! Had left my little fuel belt water bottle under an ice pack over night so it was nice and cool.

Move a little faster...c'mon!
Run
  • 1h 57m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, plan was to start out at an easy pace for the first 15 minutes or so and then take my first nutrition. Garmin did not pick up until about 5 minutes into the run, but that was okay. Legs felt good and it was not too hot, so sipped my water just a little and waited until mile 2.5 or so to take my gel...and after that my stomach just kind of rebelled. Got a little crampy but I was still moving okay at about 8:00 pace. At mile 5 or so, my stomach was NOT happy and I had to walk some. It was here with the walking and then running that my left heel started to hurt and I didn't know what the heck that was all about, since it has never done that before. I have a history of plantar fasciitis in my right foot, but that has not resurfaced this year. So, I started to take it a little easier, thinking, no way am I going to go through this again! Decided that 9 or even 10 minute miles were okay with me. My 5:30 goal was out the window and I now really wanted that 5:45! But I would have to keep moving to get it. Started trying to do math in my head and kept getting confused, then said, that is just slowing my a$$ down! Smart thing might have been to look at the actual time however, wasn't too smart after 5 hours of physical exertion!

Got to the winery and stood under the sprinklers for a little bit. Ah, that felt good! Made the halfway point mat and thought I can DO this! Buckle down, run a little, walk a little, just keep moving forward. Every time I tried to speed up, my stomach or my foot would start to act up, so just kept it steady. There are lots of rolling hills and some stretches of sun drenched roads that seem to go on forever, but eventually we got back to the shaded area along miles 10-12 and I knew I could do it if I just stayed in the moment and stopped thinking about why the heck do I do this!!!??? And my quads started getting really heavy here.

Saw the last aid station where you make the turn onto residential streets and an awesome volunteer was so encouraging saying, just one more mile, you guys are almost there. A lady in my AG passes me and I am like, omg, can I keep up with her? Could I? Nope. Had to just watch her go. The run from the parking lot to the finish chute seemed to be the absolute longest run ever! But I could hear the announcer's voice and the music was pumping over the loud speaker and the crowds cheering and I was happy to come into grassy run into the finish line. When I saw the time, I was still confused and couldn't subtract, but it didn't matter, I had finished my third half ironman and I was happy!

The only thing I can think of on the nutritional issues is that I took too much of the gel when my HR was still too high. But it was reading high zone 2 so I didn't really think there would be an issue. I felt really perfectly hydrated at the beginning of the run, so I don't think it was an issue with the bike. The hills and the sun took a bit out of me. Last year it was insufferably hot with starting the run in 95F, this year was very bearable, so I cannot blame it entirely on the heat. I did some heat training this year having done 2 long runs in Hawaii and all of my bricks down in Woodside.

I think maybe I started out a little too fast, but adjusted pretty well to what I was capable of doing that day, with my stomach and left foot pain.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and then walked over for some yummy food. They have such a good spread here. Chicken breasts on a bun, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes and pop chips! I even had a Seven-Up and it was the best thing ever!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I finished this race feeling great! I was still under the impression that my swim was 45 minutes, LOL! It took me a few days to write this because I was feeling kind of disappointed in my swim having been 49 minutes and not having the run I really thought I was capable of. But then after being set straight by some really cool people who know who they are, I looked at the big picture. I hit the goal that I set last summer after finishing this same race in 6:13. I had a twenty minute improvement in my bike split and a twelve minute improvement on the run. And I had a good time! And my body feels good today and my left heel is fine after a 4 mile run this morning.

I cannot wait to do this race again and get that swim down!

Event comments:

Great race, I just love this venue. The bike ride is one of the most beautiful I have ever done whether in a race or just for fun!

I'll be back.

Last updated: 2009-12-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:06 | 2112 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 69/88
Overall: 0/2110
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless F2R sockeye
Course: Out and back in the beautiful Russian River.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:12 | 56 miles | 19.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/88
Performance: Good
Average watts 140 Average HR 140 (for the last 1:50 of the ride) My heartrate monitor had wacky readings for the entire first hour. I think because it was cold and I was soaking wet!
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence: 81
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:57:16 | 13.1 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/88
aHR 149
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-21 3:29 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: Vineman Ironman 70.3

2010-07-21 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2995572

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Vineman Ironman 70.3
congrats kim.  pretty damn good. and you took a leak on the bike!!! AWESOME!!  you'll get that swim, i know it!!!
2010-07-21 3:43 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I am impressed with how you executed your race plan and handled things along the way. Great bike segment! Very, very nicely done!!!
2010-07-21 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! A huge improvment versus year ago and don't you dare be disappointed with all that you have accomplished in any aspect of your race......at the beginning of the year you wanted that 5:45 and YOU GOT IT BABY! 

Smile, be happy and think about what's next.....

From one of those cool people....see ya Twin.
2010-07-21 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Wonderful race and huge improvement!  Don't get down on yourself, just think of it as the area for improvement on next year's race. 
2010-07-21 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Awesome job.  What a tremendous improvement over last year.  The swim is the shortest part of the race - you focused your improvement in the right areas with the bike and run!

Congratulations!

2010-07-21 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on a really fine race....improving from year to year like that is a great accomplishment!
2010-07-21 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Nice job! Congrats on your bike split, that is an awesome time. I totally agree the run through the parking lot to the finishers chute seemed like it took forever!
2010-07-21 4:44 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Great job Kim.  You executed the plan very well and I'm glad all the hill work you did on the bike helped.  Now that you have your CT and your quarq all of the bike training is quantifying and much more efficient and effective.  Plus, I know how much you love the VO2 max multirider files I send you to ride.  ha ha ha.

Don't stress about the swim, some people get it faster than others but don't let that frustrate you.  I think getting over your anxiety in the swim with all those people around you is a huge leap forward.

You're a very strong runner but the heat is a very strong equalizer.  There wasn't much opportunity to really train in as often as you should have so at the end of the day the min/mile doesn't matter...what matters is if you can look yourself in the mirror and say "I gave 100% today on the race course."  That's all that matters because that's all you can do.

I am super excited about you finish time.  That is really an incredible accomplishment and a testament to your execution and problem solving during the race.  Well done.
2010-07-21 4:47 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Great job Kim!  Way to fight through the little bouts of adversity!  Very nice bike split!

2010-07-21 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Kim, have I told you lately how awesome you are??

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

Seriously!! I didn't realize what a HUGE improvement that time was over last year. Holy cow!! Congratulations. And yeah, I agree, even if it wasn't as hot as last year, and even if you had some time to train in some heat... I think it's super-duper hard to mimic race intensity and heat, so keep in mind what you are asking of your body at that given moment. Way to make adjustments. I KNOW how frustrating it is to want to move more/faster than your body will let you due to tummy issues or something else. It sucks. But you motored through and did an amazing job.

So glad you'll be back. Can't wait to see what you do next. Well done, my friend, well done!!!

2010-07-21 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
great rr, and nice job on a tough course in brutal conditions!!

wildflower next year?
2010-07-21 10:10 PM

User image

Expert
Great job, Kim!! That's a huge improvement over last year and you should take great pride in that achievement. Well done!
2010-07-22 4:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
congrat's on another great race.  you're a natural at this sport, especially now since you have the pee experience!
2010-07-22 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Congratulations Kim. Awesome improvement over last year.  Glad to hear you were able to pee on the bike. I guess once you start you can't stop eh

2010-07-22 12:36 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Great Job P'er!!!! Fast little bike you've got going on. 20 minutes from last year is HUGE.

2010-07-26 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2997985

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job Kim!

Sam and I are looking forward to this race next year.
2010-07-27 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Great job and I'm in awe of the bike split.  I can't wait to come out next year for the race.  I have it on my calendar - Nov. 1 reg opens.  And why don't we make a pact to both learn how to swim by then.  LOL!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed