Premier Event Management
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 05m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 291/380
Pre-race routine:

The greatest part of the weekend happened Saturday when our youngest daughter took her first steps. Watching her walk provided some incredible motivation throughout the entire race. Now having told ya'll this, I'm not getting beat by a one year old so if any of you teach her how to ride a bike and swim you're gonna be in trouble!

Second best part of the weekend was a 46 minute pr.

Got in town Friday afternoon. Sat in the bar Friday night hoisting a few with Doug and Harold. Saturday morning went for an easy run. Saturday afternoon went for a short swim and rode the bikes over to transition. Dinner Saturday night Tracy her better half and friend, Doug, and Harold
Event warmup:

put the wetsuit on and walked down to pro corral to talk smack.
Swim
  • 29m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

With weather in the area the RD cut the intervals down to 2 or 3 minutes. It was a deep water start but you walk out on this long thin dock a rowing club uses so you could pretty much pick where between the start buoys you wanted to be and hop in. I wanted to start close to the front so I finagled my way to the front of our corral. In the end, this wasn’t necessary because even with 150 people in the wave, there was plenty of room.

My plan for the swim was to get to T1 as easily as possible. I knew it was going to be fast and figured I’d probably swim somewhere in the neighborhood of 32 taking it easy. So, that’s what I did but I was even faster than I thought. Ha!

I’m not sure why, but the air horn didn’t register to a lot of people up front that that means you start swimming. It went off and everyone just sat there. I yelled something like get you’re ass moving (in a nice way) and off we went. It was pretty funny.

I was surprised how clear the water was. A bit of seaweed floating around made for a good reminder to take it easy... just watching that stuff effortlessly float around was relaxing. Not sure what went down at ~500 yards in but my wetsuit started to feel a bit constricting. Not a good feeling. A few hundred yards later I felt better, but it was odd.
The rest of the swim was fairly uneventful. Siting was fine. There wasn’t much contact but when there was it was solid. And when I got caught by the first person in the wave behind me I had to look up o and watch this guy go. I’ve never seen some swim so fast in my life. He was a freakin' rocket. Cool to watch.

Well executed swim. Especially since the day before was the first time I’d been in the open water since Lone Star 70.3 in April.

What would you do differently?:

not much.
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

I wanted to take this smooth and controlled which meant a little slower than normal mainly because it was a long transition. Not just getting to it but getting out of it. Exit was at a steep boat ramp that I planned to walk and then jog to my stall. Well when I got out I felt awesome so I ran the boat ramp. It actually felt really good. Got to the top and walked/jogged to my bike. I probably could have sped this up by a few seconds but I’m good with the effort and plan execution.
Bike
  • 3h 12m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Here we go. I know by now that unless I manage the bike properly, the run isn’t going to be a run. So, the plan was break the bike (and run) up into “boxes of miles”. 0-10, 10-20, 20-30, etc… Focus on nothing other than getting to the other end of the mile box feeling as best as possible. I don’t care who is passing me, how slow I’m going or any of that crap. This is my race, not yours. I also decided to wear my regular watch for nutrition timing and forgo the heart rate monitor. I was thinking that I’ve done this enough to know how I feel and more importantly to know how I’ll need to feel at mile 56 in relation to right now. I didn’t want too much data streaming in…. uh-oh you're 1 beat over z2, you’re screwed. I also decided not to look at my watch at or close to the mile markers because I didn’t want any indication of my speed. How fast I was going Did. Not. Matter.

So I came out of T2 feeling really good. Roads were wet but in good shape. I got to the bridge crossing the river sat up and just “coasted” over it. Great! Here’s where riding the course a few weeks ago and driving it the day before really helped mentally, I knew the 13 mile or so stretch before the Savannah river site was mostly flat. It was going to be a little boring and monotonous but stay in that mile box and you’ll be good. Then something unexpected happened, I passed a five mile sign and got a good mental boost because I was half though this box. All systems good.

Hit the 10 box and was feeling good. Very good actually. Had a brief letdown at mile 13 when a bike with pink tires passed me and all I could think ways holy crap, Tracy caught me already! Thankfully it wasn’t her. Ha! Started getting into the hills around here. I had to take a leak really bad but getting hit in the face with water off other riders tires made me realize someone might get a face full so I pulled over at the first aid station. Which reminds me the map in the athletes guide is wrong; it shows two aid stations not three. Really feeling good about running.

Got to 20 and was still feeling great. Nutrition was going just as I’ve been training. The rain really started to come down here and things got a little sketchy. I did make a really dumb move flying down a hill at one point. There was a long curve in the hill and I had to much speed so I had to use the oncoming lane briefly. Thankfully Sunday morning country roads don’t have too much traffic. Really feeling good about running.

30 was good but could begin to feel the mental side kicking in. This is where breaking the course up into sections really helped. Just get through this block, punch that ticket. We were out in the horse farms so lots of good scenery. Lots more rain, no lightening though so we’re good. Really feeling good about running.

40 was the toughest but still a lot more fun and a lot “easier” than at this point in any other race. I used to complain that the fourth set in the 5 x 300’s (or something like this) was always the hardest set. A buddy back in Houston that is a crazy swimmer said yep, ya gotta work that fourth set. This flashed in my head somewhere just after passing 40 and really helped.

The 50 mile box just flew by. I don’t even remember much other than the road surface was just perfect. I’ve always stopped taking anything in at this point but today I cut everything a bit past 50, maybe 52. Not sure why I decided to do that but I worked out. And then somewhere close to the end I crossed an intersection and the volunteer yelled good job just three miles to go just as I was looking at my watch. I had to recalculate my average speed so far (and I wasn’t slowing) down 7 or 8 times to believe what it was. Ha!

And as we came around the final corner there was a guy changing a flat. I couldn’t believe it. Dude you’re 100 yards from transition. I yelled at him to run it in. I wondered if he was just that flustered or if he didn’t know the course because the line was around the corner…damn.

This was by far the best ride I’ve had in any race. Each half so far I’ve been so relieved to get off the bike. Today I was happy, but I would have been fine to keep going.

The hills helped out in the sense that they kept me honest. Meaning you're going up hill so take it easy. Where on a flat course its easy to forget to throttle back.

nothing. well, train more. HA!
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Slow. Way to slow. A lot of it had to do with the size of transition and that I had my shoes and sock in a garbage bag in hopes of keeping them dry, it worked! Even starting out in dry shoes and socks is nice. They got soaked at Buffalo Springs 70.3 and that sucked. Racked the ride pulled the gear out of the garbage bag threw it on, helmet off, turned my belt around and the bib ripped right where the elastic holds it in. I looked at for a second before I realized the other one was still good to go. Duh. Grabbed the Garmin and took off. For some reason I couldn’t get the watch band on and was starting to get flustered. So I stopped, took a big boy breath and put the strap on.

I lost some time here making some dumb mistakes but overall it was ok. Good job controlling the level of flusteredness with the watch band.

Relax and stay focused.
Run
  • 2h 16m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Pay up sucka!

I talked to some folks in the MG about what happened at Lone Star, in particular coming out of T2. I started to believe, and now am fairly confident, this might have been my biggest issue. The bike plays a bigger role in the grand scheme of things however, the biggest thing I can do wrong for a short period that will have a huge impact on the day is to come out of T2 blazing or even close to it. “Glacial pace” is the name of the game. So, I needed the Garmin for this one. In past training and even races I’ve had a very hard time controlling my run pace off the bike. I think I’m moseying along yet I’ll look the watch and it’ll read something stupid, for me, like 7:50 or close it. That can’t happen today, or ever again for that matter.

So my most important goal for the day was to average 10:30 for the first mile. Then the night before the race I decided to make it the first three miles.

The first ¼ mile I had I a bit of a time controlling my emotions, I was so freakin’ pumped. I knew I nailed the bike and nutrition. My legs felt great, but we still have a long way to go. Man, for someone who said earlier they didn’t want all that streaming data; I looked at the watch probably 5000 times the first three miles. I’m NOT blowing this.
Again, my plan was to manage this in blocks, one mile at a time. Control myself in that block. Really it was easy… just watch the pace and monitor how it felt, reminding myself what I do now will play a big role down the road.

At mile three I decided to hang on to the current pace and re-evaluate at mile five. At mile five I decided to stick to the plan for another few miles. By mile eight I was beginning to get fatigued a bit mentally. This was also when I made the decision that I wasn’t going to walk today. Not through an aid station, not because the person in front of me is. No, I’m not walking today.

Mile seven was out in am empty part of the course. I recall one of the few spectators saying this is the worst part, from here on there's lots of support. It was a little tough mentally. But then the timing mat showed up and I figured the people watching the computers knew I was running and having a good day so far. That was cool.

Mile ten was the toughest part of the day. Thankfully it was on the out and back along the main street where the crowds were. And man were they out. This was by far the best crowd support at any race I’ve done. I’m not sure what happened to mile eleven sign but I missed it. I met up with Harlold. We were bs’ing when he told me we’re coming up to mile twelve. Sure enough there was the Mile twelve sign. Man, was I happy.

Coming down the chute was the first time all day that I had some sort of idea where I was time wise on the course.

And then I was done.

I ran the whole thing. Nice.

Nutrition wise, I skipped the first two aid stations. Then started with water. At the fourth I chugged a Gatorade. At the fifth I felt a little hungry so I grabbed some bananas. Worked like a charm. Then it was all Gatorade and water for the rest of the run except for a gel at mile 10. At mile 13.2 I stopped and hung around the beer truck.

Good to have Tracy's husband Doug there cheering us on. Odd racing for the first time in a place where I knew so few people.

NOTHING! well, train more. HA!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a couple beers. The grabbed a beer and walked over to mile 12 to wait for Tracy. Ran with her for a short time, didn't spill my beer, smacked her in the bootie and off she went.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

We moved to Georgia a month ago so its been a little crazy.

Event comments:

Drill instructor cop was awesome. Clemson flag holding guy was cool but he would just pop up in the weirdest places.

I loved the course. All the volunteers and law enforcement were great, especially considering the weather.

I was concerned about the number of people racing, over 3000, but it seemed to be ok. The couple of pace line's I did see were all women on high end bikes. Pretty lame but they have to look in the mirror, and I got to look at their butts.

Did not like having to walk back to the hotel to catch a shuttle to go back to transition to get my bike then the mile and a half back to the hotel. Same with dropping it off on Saturday but after a race, this sucked. Just not sure how this can be fixed with a river swim.

I heard they ran out of medals....lame.

I'd go back and race here again. But it looks like Rev3 might have a race here in the Atlanta area around the same time next year. We'll see.

Last updated: 2010-01-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:53 | 2112 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/380
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point, down river
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:12:13 | 56 miles | 17.48 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:16:52 | 13.1 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Course: AWESOME COURSE! A bunch of long out and back's through the heat of the city. Great crowd support!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2010-09-27 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3119782

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Nicely done John, especially with moving and everything else going on in Life. 

U dun gud!   Laughing
2010-09-27 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Nice job having a plan and actually sticking to it!!! I am so proud of your efforts and the 45 minute PR vs Lonestar is the sweet reward.  Onward to IM training....

2010-09-27 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Wow, did they really run out of medals? Holy Crap! There is no excuse for that!  Awesome race. I am very proud of you.  When Doug told me you were about 12 minutes ahead of me when I got off the bike I get pretty excited.  I'll get you next time buddy!  I loved that cop at the turn before the finish. He was so funny.  I saw the Clemson flag guy on the bike and then couldn't decide if that was him on the run course as well.  Too funny.  I loved the people standing on the balcony yelling at the runners to pass someone!!! 

Great to see you and looking forward to partying with you at Rev3 while everyone else suffers.
2010-09-27 2:15 PM

User image

Master
OK, that whole read was just so cool. Loved the zoomin' fast swim (coveting your current!!). LOVED how you stuck to RPE on the bike and broke it up into your boxes, and got through your 40-mile box. But super-cool is how disciplined you were on the run (and bike, for that matter) and how much it paid off for you!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You smoked the race!!

Had you not had such sucky transition times, sub-6 would have been yours. Next time....

Onward to the Race for the Big Boys and Girls!!

Congratulations, my friend!!
2010-09-27 2:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Awesome job.  What a weekend. 

Great news on the first steps.  Best news of the entire race report.

And impressive on getting it done on each leg.  Really impressive. 

2010-09-27 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3120072

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Great job!  Way to have a plan and then work that plan.  Sucks about the finishers medals ... pretty lame of WTC.  
2010-09-27 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
great report, race and amazing PR.  And great job getting in the bootie smack in.  I like your race plan.  I have to keep that in mind when I try my first HIM.  Is everyone doing rev3?
2010-09-27 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Hey man, great meeting you and looking forward to a slow ride in N GA on those Mountains!  Great job and way to stay with the plan!  How easy it is to get caught up in the race moment!  But I read the best part of what you wrote about your baby girl, cool!  And a perfect way to couple that with a great race!  BTW, I'm still out on the course, should be finished in a day or so!
2010-09-27 4:05 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
You put all the piece's into place!! Way to go there studly!!!
2010-09-27 4:21 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Sorry I never saw you on the course. Got your note in the room and could barely read half of it! Way to run that course! Very impressed!

Edited by DougRob 2010-09-27 4:28 PM

2010-09-27 4:24 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
nice work there fella'. You FINALLY were able to get all the pieces together.
Maybe work on your transitions and get yourself under the 6hrs
2010-09-27 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3120330

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job John, way to rock the Transitions!
2010-09-27 7:30 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
you did so good I think I will have a beer.  That sounds like a great race and I may try to do it next year.

I many chunks will you break up IMTX? 
2010-09-27 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3120414

User image

Great race, John! First steps and a 46 minute PR, sounds like a fantastic weekend! Awesome race report, too. Lots to learn about having a plan and sticking to it. I will say, though, that Tracy should have spilled your beer for you.  
2010-09-27 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stuart
Sounds like you had a great race. It was nice meeting you guys on the dock Sat.

2010-09-27 8:57 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Great rr....love the baby's first steps!  Nice job on a tough day, I'm impressed.  You did, however, leave out the mimosa in T1.

Time to start training for the big boy!!
2010-09-27 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3120611

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Great job ...PR, Southern Hospitality, Great Course and cold beer...who could ask for a better weekend.

Welcome to Jaw-ja my friend.

2010-09-28 8:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great weekend and awesome race, John!  Congrats on an outstanding effort and result with all the distractions you have had since Lone Star (there, spelled in two words, but I live in Texas and know better).  RR is a great read with useful tips and lessons learned. Breaking the bike and the run into boxes or parts is something I will use.  Have your youngest start pacing you on your training runs now that she is mobile Smile.
2010-09-28 9:39 AM

User image

Most important...Jacy is already a year old and walking !?!  Man how time flies.

I am so happy for you.  Way to put together a fantastic race.  I remember your first HIM and you have come a long way.  Awesome PR. 

I love the boxes btw..and I agree that #4 of 5 is the toughest.   

Still want you to teach me transition 101   
2010-09-28 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Awesome job John. Nice to see a PR and how you stuck to your guns making it your race.

thomas

2010-09-28 12:42 PM

New user

That guy changing the flat at the last turn was me! I had no idea how close I was to the finish. After I removed the bad tube I heard you yell and took your advice. I picked up the bike and ran it in. Thanks! You saved me several minutes!
2010-09-28 1:36 PM

User image

Appreciate you reaching out and thanks for the vote of confidence.  Glad you stayed with the plan and had a great race --- have to feel good about your level of commitment. 
On a side, how did you hear about the Rev3 race in Atlanta --- I am from MD but y in-laws are in Newnan, GA and would love to have a race close to their place for the wife and kids. 
Thanks and good luck the rest of the way!

Jason
2010-09-28 6:49 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
"big boy breath" - loved that comment.  Awesome race.  Especially after moving as that is tough to get the training in.  Rock on
2010-09-28 7:33 PM

User image

Regular
Lakeland, FL
Great job out there nailing your plan to perfection.  I loved the course as well and the volunteers/spectators were awesome! I'm with you, though, if REV3 has a race doen here ion the SE around the same time, we may consider it next year versus Augusta.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed  

of 2