General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Large increase in attack responses on here... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-01-26 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3322958

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Subject: RE: Large increase in attack responses on here...
See now this thread is turning fun!!  Yippeee!  I love BT!!!

2011-01-26 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3322608

User image

Champion
Calgary
2 aspects to this.

Inexperienced/beginners/new year resolutionists.....this is week 3 into the new year. People's motivations are suffering, what was easy and a new change in life has become drudgery and they are on the verge of giving up. Causes a short fuse.

Experienced and consistent people who see the new year resolutionists every year start all excited only to predictably fizzle out after 3-4 weeks. If you are at all sympathetic to the plight of humanity this causes a great amount of frustration that results in belittling other people's plans because they are likely not to keep it up.

Facts of life.
2011-01-26 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
It's just all entertainment for me.I have been on forms way too loooong. Even before forms. Don't take it personal and never believe all that you read.On a lighter note, things that I recently learned on BT; don't eat soy by products just whole soy. Swim in circles and avoid counting DPS.
2011-01-26 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
HTFU and get a Happy Light or Lizard Lamp to ease up the SAD winter blues.

Part of me wants to say lighten up, but grumpy people can be soooooo entertaining.

-eric 
2011-01-26 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3323004

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
tasr - 2011-01-26 12:50 PM It's just all entertainment for me.I have been on forms way too loooong. Even before forms. Don't take it personal and never believe all that you read.On a lighter note, things that I recently learned on BT; don't eat soy by products just whole soy. Swim in circles and avoid counting DPS.

Forum, not form. Geez go back to ST where the uneducated lot hang out.

2011-01-26 3:54 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-01-26 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3323004

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
tasr - 2011-01-26 2:50 PM It's just all entertainment for me.I have been on forms way too loooong. Even before forms. Don't take it personal and never believe all that you read.On a lighter note, things that I recently learned on BT; don't eat soy by products just whole soy. Swim in circles and avoid counting DPS.

"Forums"

My God!  You've trained your brains out, James!
2011-01-26 4:41 PM

Elite
You talking to ME ?
2011-01-26 5:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
The word on the street is that I have to be able to type a high enough WPM count in order to reap the benefits of a faster computer, so I might as well stick to being an MOP forum poster. 
2011-01-26 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3323319

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
TriMyBest - 2011-01-26 5:35 PM
tasr - 2011-01-26 2:50 PM It's just all entertainment for me.I have been on forms way too loooong. Even before forms. Don't take it personal and never believe all that you read.On a lighter note, things that I recently learned on BT; don't eat soy by products just whole soy. Swim in circles and avoid counting DPS.

"Forums"

My God!  You've trained your brains out, James!

Ha!

I am really going to get stupid.  I have 8 more months till IMWI.

darn smart phone they don’t work.......

2011-01-26 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3323130

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Aarondb4 - 2011-01-26 3:57 PM
tasr - 2011-01-26 12:50 PM It's just all entertainment for me.I have been on forms way too loooong. Even before forms. Don't take it personal and never believe all that you read.On a lighter note, things that I recently learned on BT; don't eat soy by products just whole soy. Swim in circles and avoid counting DPS.

Forum, not form. Geez go back to ST where the uneducated lot hang out.

Just trying to call out the smart ones.........

peace

2011-01-26 5:29 PM

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
most likely those "harsh" posters are visitors from the "other" *cough*st forum
2011-01-26 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3322666

Regular
Kido - 2011-01-27 4:49 AM Please don't take this as an attack, since I'm not just blindly agreeing...

There can be butting of heads.

Butt. Heads.

Heh heh.

Heh heh.
2011-01-26 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3322865

Extreme Veteran
Can we get this thread back on track so I can get a couple of thing off my chest?  Thanks!  Smile

trix - 2011-01-26 1:58 PM
bryancd - 2011-01-26 12:50 PM
Dave Luscan - 2011-01-26 11:46 AM There is also an inordinate amount of incorrect and downright bad advice. Some of it straying as far as being the exact opposite of what someone should be doing. 
Man, is that the truth. At least on ST truley bad advice is shot down so fast it can make your head spin and the mods let the required beatdowns occur.

that is why its important for the knowledgeable folks to keep posting in this place especially....but i realize it can get tiresome

In reference to the above, part of the problem is that the same questions get asked over and over and over again.  I understand that the forum is for "beginner triathletes", but hopefully not "beginner internet users".   For the love of God, please do a search before you post a question.  I'm at the point where I automatically skip any post any thread titled "what should I wear for my tri", "should I get a road bike or a tri bike", and a myriad of other stuff that has been addressed ad nauseum on here.  It seems like it's gotten to the point where this forum is like Groundhog's Day.

Secondly, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't give advice.  I have seen on here many times where people say basically "I have no experience myself, but I've heard you should do x" or people that have only been running or biking or doing tris for a year talking like they're an expert.  Chances are that given time, someone who does know will be along to answer the question.  No need to muddy the water with speculation and hearsay.  I'm not saying you can't share your experiences, but sometimes it's just better not to post.

Okay, wow, I feel a lot better.  I hope I didn't offend anyone because that wasn't my intent.  As others have already said too, I think with the weather is playing with peoples' minds and maybe that's part of my problem too.

Thanks for listening!  Smile
2011-01-26 7:56 PM

It's an internet forum people.  Take it easy....

2011-01-26 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3323600

Regular
How about a forum page for venting or bashing? All those people can get together and have a party with like minded people.

Also the sticky at the top of the forums that says rules for a healthy discussion shows that there is effort for a good environment on BT.

2011-01-26 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3323600

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
tri808 - 2011-01-26 8:56 PM

It's an internet forum people.  Take it easy....

Bingo......................

Now only if the admins would see it that way. 

2011-01-26 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3323605

Champion
Gold member
Just a note, I personally never like to see 'do a search' on this forum.  That is a sure way to get a file started on you. (kidding!)  Sure, searching can find troves of information - bad or good, but then that defeats the whole purpose of the forum.  It's just my philosophy on how a forum should be and 'do a search' actually goes against the entire purpose of it.  If you applied that logic to a new forum, there wouldn't ever be a forum to search...and the site would probably soon cease to exist.

It's a continuum.  You're new, you start asking beginner questions, the 'middle age' forumites give you answers.  Once those middle ager's get 'tired' of answering the 'same ole' questions...don't tell beginners to 'do a search'...let others answer it...go to the questions that interest you.  There will always be graduated beginners in their second or third season to help out with beginner questions and will be happy to do so to give back.  It also brings in new points of view every year.

We should put a word filter on 'do a search'. 

3 more months of cold...I'm actually impressed that it has taken until the end of January for stuff like this.    We need to build more features to better distract during these times of cabin fever.  Any suggestions?

(and let's not disparage ST too...it's a valuable forum serving very different types of audiences...it's like a symbiotic (or really mutualistic?) relationship...imagine if ST descended on BT...now imagine that vice-versa.  Whatever way it went, the outcome wouldn't be good. I can probably speak for both forums, we don't want those worlds to collide that is why we are both necessary for the sport.  They tell people to go to BT for the more beginner questions...many BT'ers go to ST for the more technical stuff...we both benefit from our mutual existence even though the forum cultures are diametrically opposed.)
2011-01-26 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3323637

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ron - 2011-01-26 9:23 PM

3 more months of cold...I'm actually impressed that it has taken until the end of January for stuff like this.    We need to build more features to better distract during these times of cabin fever.  Any suggestions?

Ron, we need a sacrificial lamb.  I can think of a few people and associated threads you can unlock or undelete in that archive of yours.  May not really fall into the “Guidelines for a Healthy Discussion”  but hey you asked.

2011-01-26 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3323637

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Ron - 2011-01-26 8:23 PM Just a note, I personally never like to see 'do a search' on this forum.  That is a sure way to get a file started on you. (kidding!)  Sure, searching can find troves of information - bad or good, but then that defeats the whole purpose of the forum.  It's just my philosophy on how a forum should be and 'do a search' actually goes against the entire purpose of it.  If you applied that logic to a new forum, there wouldn't ever be a forum to search...and the site would probably soon cease to exist.

My thoughts exactly.  Never search. Always ask anew.  Searches are static.  Threads are dynamic.  Who knows what new data, studies, ideas, suggestions and results have accrued since the last time a question was asked.
2011-01-27 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3323814

Veteran
Boston
Dave Luscan - 2011-01-26 8:03 PM

Ron - 2011-01-26 8:23 PM Just a note, I personally never like to see 'do a search' on this forum.  That is a sure way to get a file started on you. (kidding!)  Sure, searching can find troves of information - bad or good, but then that defeats the whole purpose of the forum.  It's just my philosophy on how a forum should be and 'do a search' actually goes against the entire purpose of it.  If you applied that logic to a new forum, there wouldn't ever be a forum to search...and the site would probably soon cease to exist.

My thoughts exactly.  Never search. Always ask anew.  Searches are static.  Threads are dynamic.  Who knows what new data, studies, ideas, suggestions and results have accrued since the last time a question was asked.

Agreed!

2011-01-27 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3323567

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
Crazy Pirate - 2011-01-26 5:31 PM  

In reference to the above, part of the problem is that the same questions get asked over and over and over again.  I understand that the forum is for "beginner triathletes", but hopefully not "beginner internet users".   For the love of God, please do a search before you post a question.  I'm at the point where I automatically skip any post any thread titled "what should I wear for my tri", "should I get a road bike or a tri bike", and a myriad of other stuff that has been addressed ad nauseum on here.  It seems like it's gotten to the point where this forum is like Groundhog's Day.

It's especially funny when that same question is still on the front page or only 1-2 pages back, yet they still start a new thread. I've already concluded that people just don't like to read and prefer to start their own threads. But I also think the BT interface isn't as intuitive as many boards I've been on, so maybe it's because the search function is kind of obtuse that we get so many repeat threads. 

That said what I find annoying is when someone tries to point out when previous threads have already been started along with providing links to those threads and other people get annoyed with that person. I mean, come on. They are only trying to help and make it easier for everyone. 
2011-01-27 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3323814

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
Dave Luscan - 2011-01-26 8:03 PM My thoughts exactly.  Never search. Always ask anew.  Searches are static.  Threads are dynamic.  Who knows what new data, studies, ideas, suggestions and results have accrued since the last time a question was asked.

I don't like "do a search" posts, but when someone offers a set of links to previous threads it can be very helpful. And why can't that original poster who asked the question tack on their stuff to those older threads and start them up again? They don't necessarily have to start a new thread in order to bring up discussion again. It also avoids some of the "hearsay" posting since the references are in that very same thread. 
2011-01-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3324494

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
tophermcdougall - 2011-01-27 12:17 PM

It's especially funny when that same question is still on the front page or only 1-2 pages back, yet they still start a new thread. I've already concluded that people just don't like to read and prefer to start their own threads. But I also think the BT interface isn't as intuitive as many boards I've been on, so maybe it's because the search function is kind of obtuse that we get so many repeat threads. 

That said what I find annoying is when someone tries to point out when previous threads have already been started along with providing links to those threads and other people get annoyed with that person. I mean, come on. They are only trying to help and make it easier for everyone. 

Perhaps people get annoyed because they know that the creator and moderators of BT do not wish for people to be told to do a search.

Ron - 2011-01-26 10:23 PM

Just a note, I personally never like to see 'do a search' on this forum.  That is a sure way to get a file started on you. (kidding!)  Sure, searching can find troves of information - bad or good, but then that defeats the whole purpose of the forum.  It's just my philosophy on how a forum should be and 'do a search' actually goes against the entire purpose of it.  If you applied that logic to a new forum, there wouldn't ever be a forum to search...and the site would probably soon cease to exist.

It's a continuum.  You're new, you start asking beginner questions, the 'middle age' forumites give you answers.  Once those middle ager's get 'tired' of answering the 'same ole' questions...don't tell beginners to 'do a search'...let others answer it...go to the questions that interest you.  There will always be graduated beginners in their second or third season to help out with beginner questions and will be happy to do so to give back.  It also brings in new points of view every year.

Shane
2011-01-27 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3324494

Sensei
Sin City

I look at the "search" thing a couple ways...

What seems like repetition to a lot of people is "new" for others.  Take ESPN Sports Center for example.  I sit down at any time, and the stories are all brand new...  But watch for an hour, then it's all repeat...  I either live with it, or change the channel.

I understand being annoyed with repeat questions, but one reason the "use the search" response is bad, is because it puts people off and scares them from asking questions...

Ever ask someone a simple question and have them just turn you away?  Like asking your parents how to spell a word, and they say "go look it up in a dictionary".  Yeah, MAY have been helping you in the long run, but I always hated the "brush off".  I think any time you "brush off" new people, it may make them uncomfortable and unhappy to participate.  Not what we are looking for.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Large increase in attack responses on here... Rss Feed  

of 5