Set-up Inc.
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 53m 13s
Overall Rank = 116/300
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 26/57
Pre-race routine:

Trouble sleeping night before race. Too many cool race thoughts got me all worked up. Even with some Denise help, was still WIDE AWAKE!!! Up at 4 am. Ate 2 yogurts and 1 slice of pb toast and once again started drank my 10th gatorade in 24 hours....do that make me a gatoraholic Gator Mike and Gator Wendi and Gator Girl????
Event warmup:

Very low intensity bike with 45 mins till start. There was about a million tiny little flying bugs along the entrance to the park...a couple of which currently reside in my stomach.

It was like 60 degrees and windy at the start, yet the water was 80.3. With 5 mins to the official start, I finally got my shivering ass into the water for 5 mins of easy swimming. The start was delayed for some buoy repositioning....25 freaking minutes (the elites were all out there treading water the whole damn time!!!). Everyone in my age group huddled together and peed in the water to keep things interesting while shivering like crazy.
Swim
  • 36m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

*Update: Ranking AG: 4/57 and Overall: 31/300. Sweet!

By far one of the weirdest and best swims of my career. Tons of wind which really stirred up the wave. Against the waves on the way out. So I inteded to swim at a 1:50 pace and was going to start on one of the outsides. No one wanted to be front and center though. Weirdest thing. So I took the spot. I promised myself that I would NOT sprint the first 200 or so yards. I didn't...no one else did either. WTF??? I got into the groove from the get go. Great sighting the entire time. At the 2nd buoy, I'm swimming away and I hit the freaking bottom with my hand. We're talking about 2 feet of water. So I start dolphining until I realize that there's huge rocks in this 2 feet of water. LOL! So I walk until it gets deeper. I couldn't take a regular stroke, so it seemed like the right thing to do. Rounded the turn and headed back. Ran into (literally) and passed a female elite along the way...the whole time, I'm thinking...where the hell is everybody?? I'll be interested to see what my rank is in the swim. The other thing that blows my mind is that I never went anaerobic or even started breathing heavy! What is up with that???? Bilateral every 3 the whole way. Nice full complete stroke with some glide with my slow efficient strokes. Best swim I've ever had.

So I get to the end of the swim and stagger up the slimy slippery boat dock and there's a ton of freaking people. I put on my great big cheesy smile and the whole place erupts. Its the closest feeling I've ever felt to what I think a pro would go through. I'm sure many of the other participants got similar cheers, but wow....what a rush!

What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

No idea on time right yet. I took my time though. Should be in the 4-5 minute range. Made sure I had everything.

*update...ok I wasn't that slow. :)

Gradually, this needs to become more efficient. The goal for today was to take my time and do it right. Mission accomplished.
Bike
  • 3h 05m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Update: AG: 37/57 Overall: 184/300. Pretty much what I expected. Saved up for the run.

Went out slow (according to plan). Had to reel myself back in constantly. I'd get passed and it would piss me off and I'd end up speeding up. Everyone that got away from me, I'd tell myself...I'll get you on the run. :) LOL!

Got chased by a dog! LOL! I hear the guy behind me yell...."DOG!!!" and I hammered it. He nearly caught me the little shit.

Dropped my chain while going up a hill. Was switching from big to little chainring. Unclipped the left foot, but then decided to try to get it back without dismounting. Slammed the shifter back over to big chain ring and pedaled easy. Chain caught right on and off I went all proud of myself. Pace was spot on what I expected to hit and still keep body from going anaerobic. Except for a few hills, the breathing was pretty normal.

Yelled at a cow along the way. It was licking an electric fence. The guy who was currently passing me gave me a funny look.

Saw a dog identical to our old lab mix that I got Denise as a wedding present. Very cool...almost very emotional (she's gone now :( )

When I got to mile 50, I had had enough. I started checking my Garmin every 1/4 mile. The last 10 miles felt like they were right into the wind. Brutal end.

Did EXCELLENT job hydrating and getting nutrition. Probably took in about 1500 calories and endurolytes every 30 mins.

Keep working on that bike endurance. That's my biggest limiter right now.
Transition 2
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Another long transition...by design. Feet out of shoes for the last 1/4 mile though. That went well. Gave kisses to the family who showed up for the last half of the race. :)

Next race, we'll optimize this. For this one though, I'm happy and didn't forget anything.
Run
  • 2h 05m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Update: Rankings are out. Made up a few spots from those that didn't plan well on the bike. Not a bad time. MOP effort. Happy with my pacing though.

Plan was to go 10 min/mile to start, then if I felt good to drop it down. I have the terrible problem of leaving T2 and going way too fast, which will make me pay later.

Stayed slow for the first 3, then all of a sudden, my legs just found a groove. They were tired, especially with all the damn hills. But, from mile 3 to mile 8, I dropped down into an 8:30-9:30 pace....the 8:30 was on the downhills of course :) :).

At the turnaround, I got a very interesting surprise. My boss / semi-former boss from work showed up to cheer me on during the run! I gave him a high 5, and my spirits were boosted even further. How freaking cool is that!!!!!

Walked every aid station. Ran all the hills except for the 2nd to last hill. Just ran out of gas.

Did a ok job hydrating though the heat eventually kicked my ass. Did a poor job taking in calories. Gelled only once, but wasn't feeling very comfortable in the belly to feel like taking in any calories. If they only had real freaking GATORADE instead of that Cytomax shit, I'd have gotten in another 400-500 calories.

Barely any kick at all. 1st cramp showed up with 0.1 mile to go. :)

Run highlight: Emma running across the finish line with me holding my hand. We BOTH got a finishers medal. :)

Continue to get the long run distance up. Get comfortable running 13 while tired.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, found a soda for a quick sugar rush, then headed over to the aid tent. Tons of people hooked up to IV's. They smothered me with love (it was being run by a bunch of the Duke Hospital nurses). Lots of ice cold towels on my head, back, and front and a couple of oranges got me feeling human again.

There was nothing left in the tanks when I crossed that line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For my first HIM I'm so happy with how this race turned out. It was a great swim, a good bike, and a tough run. If I'm going to eventually "race" this distance, I've got to develop some longer endurance.

Event comments:

Once again...great race, even better company. Y'all have to check out Christian. You won't freaking recognize him. :)

Got to see Tom and Shannon cross the line! Shannon we could see coming a mile away with her ponytail swinging. And Tom has this stride that looks like he can keep up all day long. GREAT RACE SHANNON AND TOM!!!!

Last updated: 2005-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:11 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/57
Overall: 31/300
Performance: Good
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Triangle shaped course. One lap.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:05:27 | 56 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/57
Overall: 184/300
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 1 loop course. Several bad ass hills early on, rest mostly rolling. That Ophelia storm stirred up the winds something awful for the entire ride.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:05:56 | 13.1 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/57
Overall: 114/300
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop on varied terrain, packed gravel, grass, asphalt. This course is full of hills!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-11 6:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Duke Liver Center Half Ironman

2005-09-11 6:43 PM
in reply to: #244251

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Duke Liver Center Half Ironman
Hey Jeff great Job  I knew you would go sub 6 hours   I can just see you whacking your head on a rock in the swim...glad that didn't happen.  Take care tommorrow -SMO
2005-09-11 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

What a great job Jeff!! It looks like you held exactly to your plan and were able to enjoy the moments. And what a super time - you did so well!!  Coming out of the water to a crowd cheering for you - nice.  

2005-09-11 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Dude, way to represent. Great race and great report. Under 6 for a 1/2 IM is great. That must have been awesome crossing the finish line with your daughter. Congratulations.

Ernie
2005-09-11 7:00 PM
in reply to: #244259

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON
GREAT race Jeff! Good job sticking to the plan. Looks like it worked out great!
2005-09-11 7:07 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Woooo!!!!  Congratuations, HIM!  What a great race...you did everything you set out to do and more!!  Swim was awesome, bike was super-solid, and the run got you there...with Emma.  How cool. 

Nice to see you got the better of the dog this time, too. 

2005-09-11 7:48 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

GREAT job, Jeff!  Way to stick to the plan and FINISH STRONG!  You left me in the dust!

SOOOOO proud of you!

2005-09-11 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Incredible job jeff!! You are one hell of an athlete man. you really smoked that swim, holy crap!! I can't wait to see the placings!
2005-09-12 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Incredible race Jeff!! I'm so freaking proud of you!!  Ya know why you did so well, right???  That's right! Shaved legs baby!!   LOL!!

You are an awesome athlete Mr. Bostic!!  Glad to see you had FUN proving that to the world!  Super cool to have Emma cross with you!! THAT is an incredible feeling!! 

2005-09-12 6:25 AM
in reply to: #244505

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Jeff, great race report, that was an enjoyable read.  To add to what the others have said before me, you put in a very fast swim, super solid bike, and a fantastic run.  Not bad for a day's work, huh?  Nicely done.

Oh, and by the way, aren't those medical tent workers and their iced towels great?

2005-09-12 6:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Dude all I can say is WOW!!!! your race reports as always are entertaining as heck....but the results of your race are even better....would love to talk nutrition sometime sounds like you did really well....way to go Jeff incredible race and congrats..

2005-09-12 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Jeff, were you wearing the VaTech tri suit? I met another VaTech grad on my rack, but he was from the DC area. Good race. Will try to get to that level next year.

Dick
2005-09-12 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Race!!

It was fun to read all about your 1/2 IM. Sounds amazing to come out of the water to cheering crowds and continue to have a strong race. 

Congrats on your first 1/2IM!!

Glad your daughter could finish with you.

2005-09-12 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Great race. I got chills reading about you coming out of the water. Also liked the fact that you yelled at a cow. Wonder what the cow was thinking?
2005-09-12 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Jeff, thanks for the message. Your time was what I was aiming for, but I have a great idea now of what to work on.

I am glad your child finished with you. I tried to get William (9) and Wilson(6) to finish with me, but they wouldn't. I found out later from my wife that one of the runners in front (well in front)of me had someone that looked like their coach pace them the last little bit and that runner got penalized. The judge then was talking to some people in the crowd explaining the violation and I think the boys were worried that they were going to hurt my time. I told them later that even if the judge had DQ'd me I would not have cared because they have put up with the training and they deserved to cross the line as much as I did. In the end, a rack mate gave one of my boys her finishers medal so they each could have one.

Congratulations on a great race.

Dick
2005-09-12 7:59 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-09-12 8:09 PM

molto veloce mama
great job! congratulations!
2005-09-13 7:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

AWESOME!!!!

Incredible race, Jeff. I cannot believe that this is just your first Half IM. You rocked man!

Huge congratulations!

Félix

2005-09-15 6:47 AM

, Alabama

THAT was a great race, Jeff.  Thanks for NOT getting too specific as to what Denise did the night before to try to relax you so you could sleep!

What a great feeling at the swim exit that must've been!

Sharon

2005-09-15 10:50 AM

Regular
Lone Tree, CO
Very entertaining!.  I wish I had a swim where I got a walking break .  Maybe I should add a dog chase to my training routine .  Great race!  Congratulations on a strong finish!
2005-09-17 8:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Way to go Jeff! I knew you would have a great race. The picture out of the water is a classic! I just have to keep repeating "I will smile when finishing the swim". If you have not talked to Jeff Oves he said to tell you hello and great race. Good job sticking to that plan! I have heard the longer the race the easier it is to get off-plan and the worse it hurts if you do! You will SMOKE you first IM.

Fred

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duke Liver Center Half Ironman Rss Feed