What's yours?

2011-09-19 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3691787

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Your 26.2 PR-Weekly Mileage

Oof! Back when I did my PR (at age 19), I was probably averaging 85-90 mpw. That being said, for my second-fastest marathon (18 months before), I was only doing about 65-70. The two races are less than a minute apart. The fastesr (2:43) was on a much tougher course, though. Probably would have been close to/just under 2:40 on a flat course and cooler day. Depends on your goals. Within reason, long runs (building to 20-23 miles) are more important than total mileage. If you have time goals, then quality runs as well--tempo, fartlek, hill runs, long reps.  Mileage for the sake of mileage, in my experience, isn't particularly useful--there was very little in either case.

2011-09-19 8:47 AM

User image

Runner
For mine, I was probably averaging 60-70+, peak was close to 80.

I disagree with the idea of long runs being more important than weekly mileage, though. Personally, I ran faster times when I had higher weekly mileage with less emphasis on the long run. I was doing a long run, and a mid-week medium-length run as well, and that formula worked better for me. I did one interval session, the week of the marathon.
2011-09-19 9:09 AM

User image

Pro

My marathon PR was last year and I peaked at just over 50 mpw. As HotRunner pointed out, it's about getting in quality runs, not just number of miles. This year I'll peak at around 45mpw but doing more cross-training.

In college I ran 60-70 mpw, but that's a loooong time ago I've never been injured, but I do have chronic sciatica/piriformis issues that get worse when I start running over ~40 mpw. I run 4x/wk: long run, easy run, tempo, speedwork.

2011-09-19 11:26 AM

User image

Well I just finished my first 40 mile week :-)
2011-09-19 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
When I PR'ed in the marathon last year I averaged just over 61 mpw with a peak week at 76 miles.  I used the Pfitz 18/70 plan which peaks at 70 mpw, I added a couple an additional 5-6 mpw to the plan.

2011-09-19 12:40 PM

User image

DC

I guess my question was biased... thinking that overall, consistent volume was king. I guess the "volume vs 'quality' " debate is a whole other thread.

My son was born in April so training's been really hard. I have averaged some 30 MPW & completed 40 last week & have done speed work. Got until October 30. Think I can make a 3:30? I have run SEVERAL marathons... all in around 4 hours. Never really tried to PR.

2011-09-19 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3692286

User image

Runner
So what you're trying to do is determine a goal time for your race on 30 OCT.

Nothing in your logs to look at distances and pacing to see what you've been doing. If your previous marathons have all been around 4:00, your training has been down and inconsistent, and you have just over a month of training left for the race, I'm going to say that 3:30 is probably unlikely at this point.

Personally, I believe that consistent volume over time is a critical piece of the puzzle, but you still need to have a mix of workouts. It's not an either/or type of thing.

I also don't like the term "quantity vs. quality" when it comes to running. Every run can be a quality run, as long as it meets the context of the day's training.

2011-09-19 2:00 PM

User image

Regular

PRed by 20 minutes with peak week being 35 miles about.

2011-09-19 3:18 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Porfirio - 2011-09-19 8:33 AM What's yours?

I don't know!  Because very regrettably the year I ran my PR I didn't log my training.

Moral of the story?  LOG YOUR TRAINING!  then if something works you can repeat it!

2011-09-19 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3692286

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Porfirio - 2011-09-19 11:40 AM

I guess my question was biased... thinking that overall, consistent volume was king. I guess the "volume vs 'quality' " debate is a whole other thread.

My son was born in April so training's been really hard. I have averaged some 30 MPW & completed 40 last week & have done speed work. Got until October 30. Think I can make a 3:30? I have run SEVERAL marathons... all in around 4 hours. Never really tried to PR.

Similar to you, my marathon PR had been about 4 hours. Training for those marathons topped out in the 45-50 miles/week range. I bumped it up to 70+ for several months and ran a 3:26.

Based on the training you've done so far 3:30 doesn't seem likely.

2011-09-19 11:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
In my opinion the longer base mileage you have the better your marathon will be. If you give yourself time to prepare for a marathon, you don't need to run very high mileage in order to run well and fast. I've been training for 4 months already for a marathon that's in December and my highest mileage week will be 55. I'm planning on running 3:15 or a little bit faster if my fast friend is pacing me. They key is to run your long runs fairly fast. Most people run too slow on their longer mileage days.
2011-09-20 12:13 AM
in reply to: #3692997

User image

Champion
goran007 - 2011-09-19 10:04 PM

In my opinion the longer base mileage you have the better your marathon will be. If you give yourself time to prepare for a marathon, you don't need to run very high mileage in order to run well and fast. I've been training for 4 months already for a marathon that's in December and my highest mileage week will be 55. I'm planning on running 3:15 or a little bit faster if my fast friend is pacing me. They key is to run your long runs fairly fast. Most people run too slow on their longer mileage days.

Most people don't run enough. The long run is not their issue at all.

In my opinion the long run comes a bit down the list on order of importance for a marathon, after consistency/volume, and marathon paced work.

Saying you are going to run X time off Y volume, whether its your first or 30th, means very little without other information, and means nothing in regards to whether that training is actually wildly effective for you.

It's like me saying I have an athlete that ran a 3:24 off of 30mpw, and then saying to someone else that that is all they should run because he ran that fast. It doesn't take into account that he had only been training for 3 months (see just started runnign for the first time in his life 3 months before the race).
You could say that 30mpw is plenty based off that. A year later he is now running 70-80 miles a week, and looking to run sub 2:50 18 months into learning how to run, and times are dropping all the time.

To say less mileage is needed with a marathon, when that number is in the 50-80 mile range, is in my mind sorta stupid unless there are other issues at work (injuries, life, etc), but from a pure training standpoint, that is very much at the low end of what it would take to run/race a solid marathon for most people, and i dont mean a few peak weeks at those numbers, but rather, getting to where you can run back to back blocks of weeks or more

Once you can start running that much, then maybe the long runs/speedwork can start to come in as your limiters, but until you can throw down that volume the longer run plays less of a part in the race than most people think.
2011-09-20 10:44 AM

User image

DC

Thanks all for your in-depth responses. Now my response: dang! 

I actually have been consistently logging 30 MPW w/one weekly "speed" work-out. Last & this week, I'll be at 40. I'm gonna feel my body out & see if I can creep into the 50s for the following two weeks & maybe 60 which will be three weeks out until the marathon & would allow me two week taper. Again, depending on how I feel, I will shoot for one day of speed work per week.

I know this is ambitious (please do feel free to knock some sense into me). I've had a couple runs w/Vibrams &, literally after a couple runs, I am now "remembering" how to run lightly (COG & all that jazz). I haven't been feeling any unusual pains since.

A couple weeks ago I pulled off a 45min 10K & I have a half marathon planned for next week. I reckon this will give me some insight as to whether I can hang w/the 3:40/3:45 pace group. 

Edited by Porfirio 2011-09-20 10:50 AM
2011-09-20 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3693406

User image

Runner
I think you're better off not trying to push for 60, but holding in the 50s for three weeks. One day of speed work is fine, especially if you're used to it.

Personally, I think two weeks' taper is excessive, but I recognize that the ability to recover and absorb training is highly individualized. It also depends on what your taper looks like.
2011-09-20 11:02 AM

User image

85-100 mi/wk got me a PR of 2:48. Volume is the key but so is frequency. It is better to run 10 miles a day for 6 days a week than to go and bust out 3 days of 20 miles. For one, your body recovers faster from shorter runs and running running day after day when you are still a little tired really helps your body develop its endurance. When running 100mi weeks I would frequently do 20-30 mi runs on Saturdays but do half in the morning and go home get some food and rest, then go back out out in the evening and do the rest. I was at that time training for an ultra marathon so pace was not my focus, and as the week went on my pace would slow down and that was fine since the base building period you should be focusing on keeping the heart rate low and training the body for efficiency. The only problem I ran into logging high miles is needing to nap and eat frequently so I had enough time to recover and even then I would have to take weeks off where I dropped down to about 30 miles and had a 'recovery' week. You'll really be amazed how much faster you can get at running just by running more.

2011-09-20 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3693433

User image

Champion
slicknick - 2011-09-20 10:02 AM

85-100 mi/wk got me a PR of 2:48. Volume is the key but so is frequency. It is better to run 10 miles a day for 6 days a week than to go and bust out 3 days of 20 miles. For one, your body recovers faster from shorter runs and running running day after day when you are still a little tired really helps your body develop its endurance. When running 100mi weeks I would frequently do 20-30 mi runs on Saturdays but do half in the morning and go home get some food and rest, then go back out out in the evening and do the rest. I was at that time training for an ultra marathon so pace was not my focus, and as the week went on my pace would slow down and that was fine since the base building period you should be focusing on keeping the heart rate low and training the body for efficiency. The only problem I ran into logging high miles is needing to nap and eat frequently so I had enough time to recover and even then I would have to take weeks off where I dropped down to about 30 miles and had a 'recovery' week. You'll really be amazed how much faster you can get at running just by running more.

not sure I 100% agree with all of this, but you make some really good points. Running more (and more with with the longer distances), for almost everyone out there, is the way to get faster. Yes the faster running has its place, but it wont replace volume.
And 100% agreed about consistency.
2011-09-20 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3693020

User image

Pro

newbz - 2011-09-20 12:13 AM
goran007 - 2011-09-19 10:04 PM In my opinion the longer base mileage you have the better your marathon will be. If you give yourself time to prepare for a marathon, you don't need to run very high mileage in order to run well and fast. I've been training for 4 months already for a marathon that's in December and my highest mileage week will be 55. I'm planning on running 3:15 or a little bit faster if my fast friend is pacing me. They key is to run your long runs fairly fast. Most people run too slow on their longer mileage days.
Most people don't run enough. The long run is not their issue at all. In my opinion the long run comes a bit down the list on order of importance for a marathon, after consistency/volume, and marathon paced work. Saying you are going to run X time off Y volume, whether its your first or 30th, means very little without other information, and means nothing in regards to whether that training is actually wildly effective for you. It's like me saying I have an athlete that ran a 3:24 off of 30mpw, and then saying to someone else that that is all they should run because he ran that fast. It doesn't take into account that he had only been training for 3 months (see just started runnign for the first time in his life 3 months before the race). You could say that 30mpw is plenty based off that. A year later he is now running 70-80 miles a week, and looking to run sub 2:50 18 months into learning how to run, and times are dropping all the time. To say less mileage is needed with a marathon, when that number is in the 50-80 mile range, is in my mind sorta stupid unless there are other issues at work (injuries, life, etc), but from a pure training standpoint, that is very much at the low end of what it would take to run/race a solid marathon for most people, and i dont mean a few peak weeks at those numbers, but rather, getting to where you can run back to back blocks of weeks or more Once you can start running that much, then maybe the long runs/speedwork can start to come in as your limiters, but until you can throw down that volume the longer run plays less of a part in the race than most people think.

Hi Dave. I disagree with some of what you say (partly because I enjoy doing so). The point isn't that less mileage is needed, the point is that the mileage needed AND types of workouts will depend on a lot of factors. What are his goals? To finish, run sub-4:00, or sub-3:00. What is his base and experience? I would say for most people it IS the long run that is most important. No matter how you cut it, 26.2 miles is tough! You need to get used to being on your feet and moving for 3+ hours and the only way to do that is to run long. I would agree that the faster you want to go, the more important speedwork and tempo runs become. I'd also argue that while speedwork makes you faster, it's the tempo run that teaches you to hold that pace. If you want to build mileage, build it on the tempo runs, but not at the expense of being able to do 20-22 miles on a long run.

I think it's important to point out that people are different and respond differently to training regimens. Saying you need to run 80 miles a week or 40 miles a week doesn't take any of that into account. As you point out.

2011-09-20 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3693432

User image

DC

Personally, I think two weeks' taper is excessive, but I recognize that the ability to recover and absorb training is highly individualized. It also depends on what your taper looks like.

Interesting & I see your point. 

2011-09-20 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3693441

User image

Runner
And I only partly agree on the importance of the long run.

The overall importance of any one workout is inversely proportional to the number and length of workouts in a given period. In other words, if you train more, the long run becomes much less important than if you train at a minimal amount.

Obviously, a person's training will be dictated by numerous factors (i.e. other commitments, goals for the race, running experience and history). That being said, from a pure running perspective, even if your goal is simply to finish the distance, I think that a person should focus more heavily on consistent volume than on any one specific workout. The downfall to elevating a workout to a greater level of importance than any of the others is that a person can get stuck into believing the other workouts don't matter as much, and thus makes skipping them easier. By focusing on the long run as the more important workout, I think people can get trapped into forcing a run when they either aren't ready (physically or mentally), or they end up sacrificing consistency to get in a longer run (most often because they push too hard or too far, end up feeling beat up, and take days off to recover).

I agree that mileage minimums are arbitrary, and would go a step further to say that mileage goals are often a source of consternation for people. Again, because the focus becomes about hitting some sort of arbitrary distance rather than focusing on the purpose and goal of each individual workout, and how they combine to bring a person closer to achieving the race goal.
2011-09-20 11:23 AM

User image

Pro

Scout7 - 2011-09-20 11:02 AM I think you're better off not trying to push for 60, but holding in the 50s for three weeks. One day of speed work is fine, especially if you're used to it. Personally, I think two weeks' taper is excessive, but I recognize that the ability to recover and absorb training is highly individualized. It also depends on what your taper looks like.

Not to mention reducing the time you're going nuts, thinking you're getting sick, worrying about every little ache and pain, losing conditioning, etc. I stick to 2 weeks between my last 20-22 mile run and my marathon.

2011-09-20 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Scout7 - 2011-09-20 10:02 AM I think you're better off not trying to push for 60, but holding in the 50s for three weeks. One day of speed work is fine, especially if you're used to it. Personally, I think two weeks' taper is excessive, but I recognize that the ability to recover and absorb training is highly individualized. It also depends on what your taper looks like.

I agree with Scout. Bumping up to 60 won't be all that useful at this point and could even be detrimental. Based on your volume 2 weeks taper seems a bit long as well, but you should do what you think will work best for yourself.

If you're able to run that HM in the 1:40ish range, you may be able to run sub 3:30. If you find yourself really falling off the pace toward the end of the HM, 3:30 may be unlikely.

2011-09-20 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3693464

User image

DC
Donskiman - 2011-09-20 11:32 AM

Scout7 - 2011-09-20 10:02 AM I think you're better off not trying to push for 60, but holding in the 50s for three weeks. One day of speed work is fine, especially if you're used to it. Personally, I think two weeks' taper is excessive, but I recognize that the ability to recover and absorb training is highly individualized. It also depends on what your taper looks like.

If you're able to run that HM in the 1:40ish range, you may be able to run sub 3:30. If you find yourself really falling off the pace toward the end of the HM, 3:30 may be unlikely.

Really!? 1:40HM may = sub 3:30? I can easily huff/puff a sub 1:30HM (done it several times this year). But I'm far from confident that I can do a sub 3:30 in a full, let alone a 3:30 (hence my original post). Alright then, game on! 

2011-09-20 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Sorry to jump in so late, but I'll share my experience.

My PR was a 3:17 when I was 41 and trying to qualify for Boston.

My weekly mileage was in the 40's. I think maybe once it got over 50.

I know that's pretty low mileage, but it was enough.

I ran 5 days a week. (I was not doing tri's back then). The longest I ran before the race was 24 miles. I did a long run once a week up until I hit around 18 miles, then did a long run every other week. I also did mile-repeats for speedwork.

I will also offer a minority view on tapering. If you are properly trained, more taper is better. I think 2 weeks taper is MINIMUM and 3 weeks is better.

IMO, the runners that line up on race-day that are CAPABLE of hitting a particular time goal (say qualifying for Boston), but DON'T hit that goal...they come to the starting line not adequately rested (i.e., tapered). Just my 2 cents.

JC

2011-09-20 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3693453

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

Scout7 - 2011-09-20 9:24 AM And I only partly agree on the importance of the long run. The overall importance of any one workout is inversely proportional to the number and length of workouts in a given period. In other words, if you train more, the long run becomes much less important than if you train at a minimal amount.

^^ This.

I've had two marathons where I set a PR that I considered to be a big step forward in each case.

For one of them, I was also training for a half iron tri and so both my frequency and volume were limited...generally could only fit in three runs a week and did probably a max week of just under 40 miles with a 20 mile long run.  Pretty certain I wouldn't have PR'ed without incorporating a serious build in my weekly long runs that included a 20 miler.

My all-time PR, though, involved at least one 50+ week and 4-5 runs per week (was still doing 3-4 rides and 2 swims).  I still built to a couple 20+ mile runs along the way, but I felt like having more sustained volume gave me a bit more flexibility in my schedule.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your 26.2 PR-Weekly Mileage Rss Feed  

of 2