General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU JAL Age Group Triathlon World Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ITU JAL Age Group Triathlon World Championships - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
Premier Event Management
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 93/124
Pre-race routine:

I got the 4:30 A.M. wake up call from the front desk. I stayed at the Priness Kaiulani Sheraton, (race host hotel), at some apple sauce, pancakes, and yogurt. I was not real hungry so I didn't eat much. I brout a clif bar and some gels to the race, just in case. So I put on the Team U.S.A. race suit and gather the rest of my race stuff. My bike was already in Transition from the night before. I make the walk from the hotel along with the oher 1999 people headed that way, in the dark. They made us put on our helmets before walking into transition. I guess to make sure we had them. Find my Tz spot and lay out my stuff. Borrow a pump to top off the tires and the guys pump sucked so I lost all the air in my tire. I borrow another guys pump and it worked. Whew! Spots ready so now to hit the restroom and get warmed up. Sa I looked around I wondered who would be the fastest dude there. It wasn't me. But I was ready to battle!
Event warmup:

Short run for about 8 minutes with some pickups. Then back into transition to get my swim cap and goggles. My wave was going off at 7:10. It was about 6:50 by now. So I headed over to the holding corral, yes we were like cattle! Watched the 2 waves before go off and did some stretching. Jumped into the water for a quick warmup and back to the corral. Mooo!
Swim
  • 30m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

So I situate myself in the back and close to the bouys. I knew I would end up there anyway. So I started out well. I was staying right with the pack up until the second bouy. THen, "where did everybody go"? They were gone! So I just kept puggin away and trying to stay on course and navigate the waves and the coral! You know the sharp jagged stuff that hurts if you swim on it. After the turn around bouy there was a big patch of coral about 50 feet from the bouy. How did the big packs of swimmers get past that? So I get around the first loop and check the watch real quick. Shit 15:30. Slow. So I work a bit harder on the second loop and make up a little time. Get out of the ocean and run up the beach and head to transition. Lots of cheers, it was cool, however I knew my race was really starting now and it was time to get to work. THere were some brick pavers that led into transition that were wet and slippery, so I took it real slow around that corner. THis is were my friend slipped and broke her leg, her race was over. Poor thing. Got to T1 and my bike and a few others were the only ones left. I never got out of breath on the swim. No altitude is awesome!
What would you do differently?:

Take swim lessons in the off season.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Good transition. I actually put my shoes on first and ran in them instead of keeping them on the pedals like I usually do. I think that is the way to go from now on. I got on my bike and up to speed much quicker!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 45s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.03 mile/hr
Comments:

1 loop out and back pretty much. Started out a bit conservative until the first hill, then powered up it and passed to people. One of who was in my age group. Powered along at a good clip into the strong head wind. Then A guy passes me. I dropped out of the draft zone and think, "what are you doing, you can go faster you aren't even working hard. So I repass him and drop him. Passed a few more people and saw my age group pack go by the other direction. I new I had to power up the steep hill and did and pased 4-5 more people. I passed about 15-20 people total. Mostly older people from the first wave, but I caught at least 6 in my age group. Starts to rain heading back into transition. Have to pass the officials motor cycle and 1 other rider down the hill. The dam motor cycle just stayed right in front of me. I didn't want a drafting penalty on the motorcycle so I had to power by him. THe penalty would had been a stop and go penalty. This means, stop get off the bike, pick it up, set it down, and go. Weird. Great ride. I felt like I left some in the tank for the run. I did see a guy face down on the pavement and was glad it wasn't me. So it ended up that no one passed me. THey were all ahead of me.

Nothing, maybe work at little harder at first.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Quick T2 off with the bike clothes ond into the running shoes and put on the number belt. #601

Nothing, I had a pretty crumby TZ spot for both bike and run.
Run
  • 41m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Alright here goes. Out on the course I set a good pace but not too hard. I pass a few folks and a few pass me. Only a couple in my age group ended up passing. I was looking to pass as many U.S.A. 35-39 year olds as possible. I needed to be in the top 18 to be on team USA. I was running strong and comfortable. Got to the 5k mark and was at 19:52. Perfect. On pace to be under 40 minutes and that was my goal. I am chugging along and a guy passes me from Mexico running stong with about 1 1/2 miles left. I quickly get on his heels and match his cadence. I hung on for a while but then at mile 5, the legs fell off. My legs were very toast and and I had nothing left. I just kept saying hang on. I felt myself getting slower and more people were passing me. I finally saw the finish, looked over my shoulder and saw noone. Did the spread eagle in the air at the finish and lots of cheers. I then hear, " that's Mark Dillard from Colorado" I was happy! I was exhausted tooo and over heating. I was very disoriented at this point. I chugged some water and gatorade and put some on my head. I came back to like quickly so no need for the med tent. I was done! How did I end up against the USA guys. Well I was 20th. 2 spots away from making the team. Oh well! I had a blast and my best Olymipic distance time to date. I wanted to be under 2:20 and I was, barely!

I think I didn't run enough up to the time of the race. I really backed off too soon and swam too much. My swim is already shitty, at least I could have run better. Lesson learned.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to some USA folks drank some water and gatorade. Took a rinse off shower at the beach and cheered on some friends. Walked back to the hotel to shower and call the family. AS I'm walking back, the race is still going on, I see 2 guys passes out on the race course. It was really getting hot out now. I am glad I am done. It is wierd to see someone passed out and not moving while doing the same thing you just did.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough running. Get out and run a lot people, all the fast guys had smokin run times, like 33 minutes!!!!

Event comments:

Best world championship ever. Well for me. Hawaii was awesome and the ITU and the people of Hawaii put on a great race! Met lots of cool people and ate and drank too much after the race.

Last updated: 2005-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:46 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 117/124
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Team USA Top and bottoms
Course: 2 loops around a pretty narrow triangle. The start had two bouys about 50 yards apart then straight out and straight back. It was a wade start. So you swam out and treaded water for a bit then the bull horn would go off.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:04:45 | 24.85 miles | 23.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/124
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Cool course. Started out flat and went into a quick pretty steep hill. Then flat again with some turns in and around the city. Then onto a major road with lots of cars. Another left hand turn and flat for a while. THen a right hander and up a very steep short hill of about a 1/2 mile. Down the back side and to the turn around. Took almost the same route back with 2 loops off of the route out. Up the small hill and down to T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:37 | 06.21 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 71/124
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops. Around Kapiolani park with 2 out and back sections. Very flat. Not even a bit of a climb anywhere. Just getting hot. There were a few shaded areas which was nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-10-12 2:03 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: ITU JAL Age Group Triathlon World Championships

2005-10-12 2:32 PM
in reply to: #264125

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: ITU JAL Age Group Triathlon World Championships

AWESOME race Mark!  You were super fast!  Sorry about your friend and her leg....that is awful! 

23 mph on the bike?  are you freakin serious?  nice.  and what's with that penalty....that is the weirdest thing I've ever heard! 

OK, now where's the pictures?

2005-10-12 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Congratulations on a great race, Mark! Despite a few difficulties, I think you have a lot to be proud of. I'm glad you had a good time and welcome home!

And while I was here in Colorado getting snowed on, you were enjoying sunny Hawaii. I just don't think that's fair!

2005-10-12 2:42 PM

User image

Expert

I got goosebumps man!!! Only 2 spots from making the US Olympic Team?!?!  That's freakin' incredible - and a PR to boot.  Damn, I can't wait for the season to begin again

I think everyone I work with is getting sick of me talking about the guy that just got back from World Championships

2005-10-12 3:08 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Congrats on a great race! I'm sure your family was so proud of you!
Laura
2005-10-12 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Denver

Did you see any sharks in the water?! Haha! Great race! I wanna see some pics too, dangit. And now I'm really wishing I would've gone down there with you. How about next year?!

You had a great season: 2 (or was it 3?) age group wins and a PB in the Olympic distance at Worlds. Pretty amazing!

2005-10-12 6:33 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Lovely Mark,

So proud of you. Great on the PR and only 2 spots from Team USA. You rock. What a great season. Woo Hoo.

2005-10-12 7:45 PM
in reply to: #264147

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
COgirl - 2005-10-12 3:32 PM

AWESOME race Mark!  You were super fast!  Sorry about your friend and her leg....that is awful! 

23 mph on the bike?  are you freakin serious?  nice.  and what's with that penalty....that is the weirdest thing I've ever heard! 

OK, now where's the pictures?

This was the ITU Age Group World Championship so we competed under ITU rules not USAT rules.  They have a few different rules.  How they handle violations on the bike is very different.  Instead of tacking on a 2 minute penalty after the race, they stop the racer on the spot.  The racer gets off the bike, picks it up off the ground, and waits until the official tells him/her when him/her can put the bike down and continue.  The amount of time you have to stay there I guess depends on the violation.  In some ways I like it better since you know right then that you've been penalized.

2005-10-13 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Wow, Wow, Wow - What an awesome race.  A PR, one two away from the team, Hawaii - shoot me and send me to heaven!!

Great job.

2005-10-13 9:16 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Great race Mark. I'm sorry that Laura and I missed you.

First off, I wanted to comment on your transistions. Wow. I think you've really nailed those.

I'm surprised that no one got caught up by the coral as I tore apart my knee and the top of my foot on my first day there just wading in the water.

You rocked the bike man. Good job on exceeding your goal. Are you planning on going to World's in the future. Maybe we'll catch you in Vancouver in 2008.

Jen
2005-10-13 9:18 AM
in reply to: #264319

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Under TriBC rules, officials have the option of giving a time penalty or a stop and go penalty. We usually perfer the time penalty for at least two reasons: (1) It's safer and (2) It gives the athlete a chance to dispute it afterward.

Jen

2005-10-13 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Great race Mark!!!  You're being too hard on yourself about the swim though.  I looked on the website and read about the high chop, wind and currents.  We don't swim in that stuff out here man, that's rugged.  Anyway, you smoked the bike, and PR'd, what else can you ask for at Worlds?  Nice job.
2005-10-13 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Great race!  So many of us are just working on finishing the darn races, it's really cool to read about really RACING in them!  Great job

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU JAL Age Group Triathlon World Championships Rss Feed