United States
Nike Expotique
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = 2361/4688
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 414/825
Pre-race routine:

(Warning! This is the exhaustsive race report!)

Woke up at 4am, to eat, get ready and leave for the race start. Very nervous and excited. Nervous for all the usual reasons, I suppose... but excited, because I'd trained for this race pretty faithfully, and really gave it my all. Not just my body and my time, but my spirit. Focusing on this goal has definitely helped in the overall weight loss journey, but there's something about what God is doing in me that is very connected to this as well. (Feel free to ask if you are interested.)

Breakfast (three hours prior to race):

20+ oz. of water
1 cup of cereal with milk
1 banana

30 minutes before race, one GU
Event warmup:

After arriving at Union Square in SF (an hour and a half early), my friend/housemate/training partner Eileen and I spent some time people watching and using the restroom (like three tiimes!) and checking our bags. Looked for some friends but could find no one, as there were 15,000 participants.

Walked from car to Square some distance, so we were quite warmed up, but sitting around was cold, and it was overcast and misty as well. Struggled to stay warm. Eileen and I stuck close to one another, I think, because it was so overwhelming to be around that many people. Race had a cut off time of 6 1/2 hours, so there was an early start for TNT Walkers at 5:30. Fun to cheer them on. Amazing, really. The race was comprised of perhaps 75 to 80% TNT, from everywhere!!! Really neat to see that. The race also had less than 5% entry of men. So lots of estrogen floating around!
Run
  • 5h 15m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Eileen is much speedier than I, so I normally don’t have the opportunity to run with her, but we ran the first couple of miles together, and that was a lot of fun for me. Of course it meant that I came out of the gate a bit quicker than I intended!!! But at mile 3, I pulled back and said goodbye to Eileen. I wanted to keep a 12 min/mile pace for as long as I could, hoping for 18 miles before my race became a bit more fractured.

The race was really well supported, and because of the TNT folks (both from in and out of the region), there were TONS of spectators. It was quite moving to see them and talk with them along the route. I can’t say for certain, but I saw nearly every state. The ones off the top of my head that I didn’t see were Alaska and Arkansas... but I can’t think of any other that was not represented. Wait no. I saw neither of the Dakotas. (o: There’s something about a marathon (as opposed to a HIM, that makes you feel there presence more. At one point I saw this family cheering from the side, with a gargantuan sign with a picture of a little boy, about a year old, saying Our (insert runner’s name) runs for (insert name of child). In the picture the boy was naked--or actually I should say mini-manly parts were showing for all to see, below a tube top, specifically known as the Survivor buff. But the word that stuck out was Survivor. I was very touched, and felt myself near to tears. The marathon itself was to raise money and support for Leukemia, so it was a perfect match to TNT.

Had a chance to talk with several of them while I was running (THE FASTEST RACE OF MY LIFE!!!) and while I was chatting with two women about some local interests, I ran into a barrier, knocked myself off my feet and fell directly on my chin. Hmmm. Utter pain!!! I just lay on the ground for several moments, completely stunned. Several nice people were trying to assist my ignominious self but I was trying so hard not to cry that it was a bit overwhelming! Of course this was only at mile 9 or so, and I was not about to let a great deal of training, sweat and effort go down the drain! So as soon as I determined that my ankles and knees were ok, I was off. Of course running was the best thing I could have done for it, because all of that adrenaline and body-producing morphine dealt with the pain problem almost right away! In fact I kept thinking to myself... hey! it must be getting better! It doesn’t hurt at all. (o:

Another thing that was so great about this race, is that it was fun!! Tons of DJs placed along the run, great aid stations, several odd perks offered along the way (the oxygen bar (what???), the pedicure station (please!!!), the Ghiradelli chocolate aid station (ok, that sounds pretty good!)) Just a ton of fun. Spectators were way into the race, as well. One family was holding a big sign that said, “So-and-so, there’s a six pack waiting for you at the finish line!!” Of course the person in the family holding the sign looked to be WELL below the drinking age... perhaps even the “I cross the street by myself” age, so I had a good laugh about that as well!

At the top of those early hills, there were abunch of young (good looking) guys screaming and cheering us on. As I got closer I could hear some of what they were saying, which seemed to be that they were letting us know they were single. Of course as I was able to read their signs:

YOU GIRLS ARE HOT!!

CALL US AT 555-6378

It all became clear!! Did I mention that the race was comprised of 95% (or more!) women?? So there was alot to see of interest and plenty to enjoy!

As to the race itself. I approached the day with a lot of excitement and hope. When I signed up, I was still a lot heavier, and felt like it would be a tremendous struggle to finish in under the 6.5 hour cutoff. As I got closer, I reallized that I was totally going to make it! That was exciting in and of itself. But I still didn’t have high expectations about my time. Considering my training, my times, and my body weight, I expected that I would finish, without too much problem, in 5:45. But deep in my secret heart, I wanted to do 5:30. That was hard for me to imagine, but I hoped anyway!

At every mile marker they had a digital clock, and I could see that I was running about 3 minutes ahead, consistently of a 12 min/mile. Frequently I saw little gains on this, topping out at 4 min. 30 sec ahead of a 12 min/mile. Now, 12 min/mile is my GOOD pace, so I was pretty excited about this. My 13.1 split was clearly at this pace. But I was tired, and didn’t know how long I could do this. But I knew that I could run ‘til mile 20. I wasn’t so sure of that before, because on my one 20 mile run, I walked... A LOT!

But I stayed super-hyrdrated (a tend to dehydrate myself) drinking even when I didn’t want to. And during those first 20 miles, I never walked, except for about 15 sec. duriing the aid stations. I was dwindling, but felt ok. When mile 21 came along, I still hadn’t walked, then 22. Well, the aid station walks were getting a bit longer. I hit the wall at 22. So hard!! I felt like I was doing the death shuffle, but as I looked at the time, I was still pretty close to a 12 min/mile, but that 4.5 min edge was dwindling a bit. I did through in 3 walking breaks at this point, for a total of about 3 min and 45 seconds. I was so amazed, I couldn’t believe what was happening. As I got to that last 10k I realized that if I could mostly run, I’d be able to finish sub 5:30!

As I came into the chute, I was hurting so badly. I saw my mom, and as I got to the finish line, I couldn’t help but raise my arms... then I started to cry. I saw my time and felt like I couldn’t believe it was me!! Couldn’t believe the changes that had been wrought in me (body, mind and soul)

Best race ever.
What would you do differently?:

Not a dang thing! I ate and drank like I wanted to, I ran better than I knew I could, I enjoyed myself immensely!
Post race
Warm down:

Awesome girl SWAG at this race. No medal, but each finisher got a necklace designed by Tiffany and Co., given to us by men dressed in Tuxedos on silver platters. Dri fit Nike Women's shirt. I'll try to post a picture if I can figure that out.

When my mom found me and I had a chance to eat, I sat down because I was in serious pain, as my calves had been cramping for the last 3 miles. I also noticed that my face (see unglorious fall above!) began to heart like... well you know. When I mentioned this to my mother, she made me go to the Firs Aid tent to make sure nothing was broken. When I got checked in, I told the attendant, "I feel on my chin, and it hurts A LOT. I also think it might be starting to swell and it may be bruising." He looked at me like I was insane, because unbeknownst to me, it looked like someone had really clocked me, and the swelling was equivalent to a button mushroom sprouting out of my chin. Ah well. Ignorance is bliss. But nothing was broken, so he gave me some tylenol and an ice pack (which really helped with the fungal grown on my face!)

Finally found Eileen and got my official results. Totally joyous!!!

After I got my bag from the bag check, I went over to the changing tent. It was hysterical! There were these big gaping cracks in the tarps, so you could see all these naked women without even trying!! But like many of the women there, I thought to myself, if some guy wants to my pruny ass, who am I to deny them the pleasure!!!

Headed off to a fancy, yummy meal with Eileen and mom. Home to church, where my friends (who know a lot about the struggle I've been through with weight and really being kind to myself/my body) rejoiced extravagantly with me!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I decline to answer this in the usual way!!!! And instead will just say, I've got to figure out how to deal with cramps late in the game! Nutrition? What?

Event comments:

I'm the poster child for "if you thought you couldn't do it, you might be wrong!" If you (women?) are interested in a great race and a bit of travel, come on down for the SF Nike Marathon! Something else!

Last updated: 2005-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
05:15:31 | 26.2 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/825
Overall: 0/4688
Performance: Good
Course: Course was great, really. It went through several varied and lovely parts of the city. Of course there were some difficult hills (!), but since I’d trained on them regularly, they felt ok. Specificially the course (feel free to skip this if San Francisco geography has no interest...) started at the shopping center of SF, went down through the financial district, along the Embarcadero, where the wharfs are and the famed Pier 39. Then it wound itself along the marina, up and down Ft. Mason Hill, over to the Presidio. Next we went up and up and up toward the Golden Gate Bridge and beyond. Then up and up again, until we hooked up with Clement street. Then up and up Clement past the Legion of Honor out to the cliffs, where we went down, down, down to the wild waved part of the city. Then we wound our way through (and up) into Golden Gate Park and then back out again to the ocean front. Then along the Great Highway along the Ocean, to the zoo, around Lake Merced (which also seemed to have a lot of UP... of course this was mile 22, so it is quite possible that it was only a little up, but it was agonizing nonetheless!), back to the Great Highway, doubling back until we got to the entrance to Golden Gate park is next to the beach which was the finish line. (yay!!!) As to weather, it was foggy with a slight mist for a great deal of the race. Not as great for looking at the ocean or the bay or the Golden Gate... but GREAT for running 26.2 miles!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-23 11:58 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: Nike Women's Marathon
Official race results (rank, splits, etc.) not posted on the internet yet. Will update. I will also, try to put in the pictures once Eileen downloads them from her camera.

(If you got this far, thanks for reading!)

Dana

Edited by dhlundblad 2005-10-24 12:01 AM

2005-10-24 12:11 AM
in reply to: #270848

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Nike Women's Marathon

Awesome!  It is so cool that you were able to meet your goal and that you have made such huge changes in your lifestyle.  Congrats!  I know you have worked so hard for this.

PS - Are you going to call the cute guys???

2005-10-24 6:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Way to go Dana! That was incredible. You make me proud to be a Cranberry.
2005-10-24 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Congratulations! Excellent work - revel in your success!
2005-10-24 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Congratulations Dana! That is so great! You did an absolutely fantastic job!
2005-10-24 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Enjoy and savor every moment of it!! I hope that your recovery goes well!

2005-10-24 8:58 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
hmm....perhaps I should consider this race for next year. It sounds AWESOME!! And a big thumbs up to you for pushing through and having a great marathon !
2005-10-24 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
oh my gosh, dana.
you had me crying at 7am this morning reading your race report.
absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
thanks for the good cry...a happy one!
congratulations!
2005-10-24 9:29 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Dana,

WAY TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Way to gather yourself after that fall and finish in fine form.

Myself and others were praying for a great run for you yesterday morning.  Praise God for the wonderful day that you had.

All I have to say is "DARN that mile 22....it is treacherous!"

Loved our race report too!  I should consider writing them occasionally....

2005-10-24 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Dana....wow...you did super great...beat your dream time goal by a lot!!!

You are such an inspiration to everyone with losing weight, keeping positive, challenging your self, and accomplishing so much!!

Your rr brought tears to my eyes!!

I love the detail...made me feel like I was there. Sounds like a great Marathon to do.

I'm proud to be a Cranberry and have you be our captain!

2005-10-24 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Just put in my rankings. Solidly MOP, although that's because there were a lot of TNT walkers amongst the many TNT runners--even so, I'll take that!!

My thanks to you guys!!! And no, Shellee, I did not call them. Jeez! They were like 19 yrs old!! Wait... that makes it sound like I'd call them if they were older. Hmmm. (o;

Realizing that having a desk job and working aforementioned desk job the day after the race is a bit... uncomfortable!

Dana

2005-10-24 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana, what an amazing race!!  You crushed your goal!!  I started reading your report this morning at 5 am while I was heading out to the pool...I started crying and decided that I needed to wait and take my time and read your report...I stopped and then finished it when I got home...it was worth it!!  A wonderful race and fantastic rr and a great accomplishment.  You inspire so many of us here on the forum...thank you for letting us come along for the ride...
2005-10-24 5:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Dana;
As to be expected once again you are an inspiration. Great job running your race.
I love the way you write your reports too, you paint a picture of your race experience that makes me feel like I was there running along side of you. I guess that will have to wait until April of course at that running pace you’ll be somewhere in front of me. Once again congrats on a great race.
John
2005-10-24 7:05 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Oh, a few details that I forgot...

Hardly any chaffing (thank GOD for BodyGlide!!!)
One very bad blister
One black toe nail (oh no!!!)

Bummed about the toe nail, but you know... in the scheme of things, it's pretty small!

I'm so thankful that you find me 'inspirational'... but I mostly think that I talk too much! (o: Maybe you would say the same thing if you met me in person!

Dana
2005-10-24 10:37 PM

User image

Awesome, Dana.

I loved reading your RR and I am so happy for the success you have worked so hard to achieve.  You must feel like a million bucks (maybe not your face and body right now, but your spirit)!  I can't tell you enough how inspirational I find you and how glad I am that I can check in on you and your training/racing.  Thank you for sharing, I know I appreciate it a lot  

ivan

2005-10-24 11:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-10-25 11:29 AM

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Congrats on an awesome race!!! All that hard work really paid off!!!
2005-10-25 2:31 PM

Expert
New Port Richey

Dana, You rock girl. What an awesome time.

Kevin

2005-10-25 9:11 PM

Veteran
san francisco, ca
congrats & thanks for the long race report mine'll be up soon (i did the 1/2) - maybe not quite as long, but...well, i'm glad that other folks out there have a lot to say too.

i had totally forgotten about the "you're hot" guys. bwa-hahahahah. they *were* like 19. or younger.

thank you for explaining that the walkers started at 5:30am. i have this whole thing in my draft about how around mile 12 i was suddenly surrounded by walkers. i had no idea how they got there so quickly.

2005-10-25 10:51 PM

Master
State of Confusion
Dana, Great race report! It makes me totally excited to put that marathon down for my 2006 calendar! (With TNT too!) Congratulations on all your hard work! You must be so proud of yourself and what you've accomplished.
2005-10-27 4:16 PM

Expert
Awesome! Great job! You had the perfect race -- you made good time, and HAD a good time! What more could anyone ask for?

Mike

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nike Women's Marathon Rss Feed