General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I can't do it anymore!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-11-17 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Subject: I can't do it anymore!!
Ride with clipless pedals that is... I just don't feel safe with my feet attached to the bike. I know it's all just a mental thing, but I've gotten so anxious riding in them I've basically stopped riding. I've had them for over a year now, and I just can't seem to get comforable with them. So I'm switching back to basic pedals.

Anyone here have this happen and do the same thing?

2011-11-17 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3906348

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: RE: I can't do it anymore!!
Instead of switching just ride with them more in safe environments and get comfortable with them.
2011-11-17 4:44 PM

User image

Pro
can you loosen them so that they pop off easier?  I dunno'.  for me it seems more dangerous to ride without them.  the thought of having my foot slip off a pedal while standing and pumping, or spinning fast is far scarier.
2011-11-17 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3906352

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

morey000 - 2011-11-17 4:44 PM can you loosen them so that they pop off easier?  I dunno'.  for me it seems more dangerous to ride without them.  the thought of having my foot slip off a pedal while standing and pumping, or spinning fast is far scarier.

X2!  You can do it!

2011-11-17 4:55 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Maybe you just need different ones that make you more comfortable?  Do you find it difficult to quickly get out of them?  What do you have right now?
2011-11-17 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3906352

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

morey000 - 2011-11-17 5:44 PM can you loosen them so that they pop off easier?  I dunno'.  for me it seems more dangerous to ride without them.  the thought of having my foot slip off a pedal while standing and pumping, or spinning fast is far scarier.

x2

When I ride in the winter I use platform pedals so that I can stay warm in sheepskin boots, and I HATE the feeling of not being clipped in......

To the OP: why don't you try a different brand of pedal that is easier to use perhaps? I am a big fan of Speedplay X's. Very easy to get in and out of.

2011-11-17 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3906355

User image

Extreme Veteran
BikerGrrrl - 2011-11-17 4:47 PM

morey000 - 2011-11-17 4:44 PM can you loosen them so that they pop off easier?  I dunno'.  for me it seems more dangerous to ride without them.  the thought of having my foot slip off a pedal while standing and pumping, or spinning fast is far scarier.

X2!  You can do it!

x3! And definitely loosen the tension on them!

2011-11-17 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Don't know if it would help but..... If there's a legitimate basis to your fears, like having to deal with a really dangerous stretch of road, you can get two-sided pedals--one has a flat platform and you clip in on the other. You can ride comfortably in each. I believe they are intended for commuting in a mixed bike path/city streets situation as is common in my hometown--LBS owner recommended them after I explained my training situation. In my case, I access a safe, nearly traffic-free venue via about four miles of horrifying third-world traffic, as in a few fatal accidents a week on this road.  No way in H.... am I going to clip in on that road. I switch to the other side when I get to the safe area. They're not the lightest of pedals, but I race with them anyway (at my speed, it can't make much difference!)). I'm a klutz so I switch to the flat side before I enter the transition zone (in the last 400m or so), then it's easy to jump off and run with the bike.
2011-11-17 6:22 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I agree about feeling safer with them. I like the fact that my feet are attached and won't come flying off when I don't want them to.

But I did have a different brand once upon a time and I had trouble clipping out. It got to the point where my choice was to go through a red light or fall over and that didn't feel safe to me at all. So I went back to the type I had started with (SPD) and I keep them at the lowest tension and have no trouble clipping out even in tense situations (like having to stop suddenly).

I may try that other brand again as they were much more comfortable to ride in over long distances. It was just the clipping out that was an issue.

2011-11-17 7:24 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

I spent my first 4 months or so with my bike on a trainer getting used to clipless pedals

cannot imagine riding anything else

2011-11-17 8:10 PM

User image

Bronze member

cafenervosa - 2011-11-17 4:40 PM Ride with clipless pedals that is... I just don't feel safe with my feet attached to the bike. I know it's all just a mental thing, but I've gotten so anxious riding in them I've basically stopped riding. I've had them for over a year now, and I just can't seem to get comforable with them. So I'm switching back to basic pedals. Anyone here have this happen and do the same thing?

I think I understand how you feel. I have fallen several times in the gravel. Each time I get this sinking feeling in my stomach when I realize I'm not getting my foot unclipped in time. I hate that feeling. The first week I had clipless pedals I fell way too many times. I absolutely wanted my old cages back on.

I did not change back to the cages. Instead I take precautions to make sure I feel comfortable. I unclip both feet as I approach a stop sign, curve in the road, patch of gravel. Like you say, it is mental. It would be better for me to learn how to balance with one foot clipped in but my brain feels much better when both feet are free so that is how I do it.

So, I vote for you to do what makes you feel comfortable and gets you out the door to ride that bike!

2011-11-17 9:19 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
100% agree with aquagirl.  Been riding clipless for years & now feel very uneasy when riding flats. 
2011-11-18 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

If you're not going to use clipless at least get some toe cages. My wife hated clipless to and has no problems with the cages. That will be better than just platforms alone.

As others have suggested, maybe you could also try different clipless models. Not all are the same and some are much easier to get in and out of than others. Some people even opt to use mountain bike pedals as they're made to get in/out of quickly. MTB shoes can be heavier, but they're usually easier to walk in.

2011-11-18 8:28 AM

Expert

Buy a mountain bike and ride some reasonably technical trails.  You will be clipping out constantly when you get stopped by a rock, or root and have to put a foot down suddenly or else you will fall over.  Make sure to bring friends for the added embarrassment factor.  You will get very good at uncliping instantly when you need a foot and clipping back in just as quickly.  Then when your on the road bike and the green light turns red, it will be a non-issue.  If you can unclip to put a foot down when suddenly stopped by a rock then you can unclip anywhere!

2011-11-18 9:58 AM

User image

Expert

Try hooking the bike up to a trainer and just practice unclipping until you feel you comfortable that in a pinch you can do it as quickly as just taking your foot off of a regular peddle. Do it with both feet. Unclipping with my left foot came very naturally for whatever reason where the right did not. I just about always unclip with the left for comfort but I practiced the right figuring I may need that skill at some point.

2011-11-18 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3906938

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
2453V - 2011-11-18 8:28 AM

Buy a mountain bike and ride some reasonably technical trails.  You will be clipping out constantly when you get stopped by a rock, or root and have to put a foot down suddenly or else you will fall over.  Make sure to bring friends for the added embarrassment factor.  You will get very good at uncliping instantly when you need a foot and clipping back in just as quickly.  Then when your on the road bike and the green light turns red, it will be a non-issue.  If you can unclip to put a foot down when suddenly stopped by a rock then you can unclip anywhere!

x2 it'll make the road bike feel like uber safe! HTFU!!!

2011-11-18 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I took me three weeks and 5 falls (one especially nasty one) to feel comfortable.  Aft er the 5th fall, I vowed to give up if I fell again within 7 days.  Amazingly, I didn't fall within that timeframe and it's been over 1 year without a mishap (other than hitting a dog).

During that 7 days, I made sure to clip out way before stopping and sort of had a mantra going on in my head...clip out, clip out, clip out.  

Keep at it.  

2011-11-18 1:23 PM

User image

Master

My friend Cindi went back to platforms and she is still really strong on the bike.  Do what works for you!

That said, I really like the Speedplay pedals (the ones that look like lollipops) because they are easy to clip in.  You don't have to do anything but stand on the pedal.  When other folks are looking down and struggling to line up their cleats at stop lights, I just start pedaling.  E.Z.

For stopping, as others mentioned, I took about 3 rides where I had to concentrate on clipping out on one side (right) and leaning that way well in advance of any obstacle (and fell over a couple of times), but then it became second nature.  It was several months before I didn't have to remind myself which way to lean.  Ha!

Edited by Mrs. brown_dog_us 2011-11-18 1:32 PM
2011-11-18 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Thanks so much for all the great comments. I'm glad to be able to see all the ideas and opinions here about this subject. One thing I think will give you all a bit more perspective about my fears of being attached to a fast moving bike: I've had several very serious sports related accidents involving falling down. I broke my back, my neck and my ankle. Needed several reconstructive surgeries and am still needing at least 1 or 2 more in the future to keep things in place. Obviously this has caused a bit of mental road block for me when it comes to putting myself into any situation where another fall could happen at any moment. I guess I feel like it's too much of a risk after having ridden with out the clipless on platforms only for years, and then falling twice with the clipless in a year.

BTW: I have Look Keo pedals right now and they are very loose and easy to get in and out of. For me I think it's just the mental aspect that just freaks me out too much.
2011-11-18 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Checkered vans and some crupi pro rounds. You'll be more confident and totally rad in no time. Slower, but righteously cool. http://www.crupibmx.com/pedals-pro-round.html

Edited by mxr746 2011-11-18 4:49 PM
2011-11-18 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3907677

User image

Expert
Falls Church
cafenervosa - 2011-11-18 3:28 PMThanks so much for all the great comments. I'm glad to be able to see all the ideas and opinions here about this subject. One thing I think will give you all a bit more perspective about my fears of being attached to a fast moving bike: I've had several very serious sports related accidents involving falling down. I broke my back, my neck and my ankle. Needed several reconstructive surgeries and am still needing at least 1 or 2 more in the future to keep things in place. Obviously this has caused a bit of mental road block for me when it comes to putting myself into any situation where another fall could happen at any moment. I guess I feel like it's too much of a risk after having ridden with out the clipless on platforms only for years, and then falling twice with the clipless in a year. BTW: I have Look Keo pedals right now and they are very loose and easy to get in and out of. For me I think it's just the mental aspect that just freaks me out too much.
Oh...do what you think works for you.

2011-11-18 6:46 PM

User image

Regular

I have the Look Keo pedals and i HATE them!  I don't have a problem clipping out, I have a problem getting clipped in.  The last 2 years I had the SPD mtn pedals and did really well.  I made the transition to the road pedals and like you, have pretty much just stopped riding.  I am planning on using the road pedals this winter while I'm on the trainer, but when spring comes I'm either putting the spds back on or getting the speedplays.  I'm not going to let fear keep me off the bike next summer.  The spds are dual entry so they are easy to clip in and out.  

jami  

2011-11-18 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA

Actually I didn't... I bought my bike, pedals and shoes all at the same time... outside of test rides on bikes I've never ridden my bike without being clipped to it. 

Do what works for you though, if that's not using clips, carry on!

2011-11-18 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3906379

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
aquagirl - 2011-11-17 5:08 PM

morey000 - 2011-11-17 5:44 PM can you loosen them so that they pop off easier?  I dunno'.  for me it seems more dangerous to ride without them.  the thought of having my foot slip off a pedal while standing and pumping, or spinning fast is far scarier.

x2

When I ride in the winter I use platform pedals so that I can stay warm in sheepskin boots, and I HATE the feeling of not being clipped in......

To the OP: why don't you try a different brand of pedal that is easier to use perhaps? I am a big fan of Speedplay X's. Very easy to get in and out of.

x3

I have some nice, deep gashes on my shins from having MTB pedals smash into them...i cringe when i ride a bike without clipless pedals!

2011-11-18 11:30 PM
in reply to: #3907677

User image

Elite

cafenervosa - 2011-11-18 2:28 PM Thanks so much for all the great comments. I'm glad to be able to see all the ideas and opinions here about this subject. One thing I think will give you all a bit more perspective about my fears of being attached to a fast moving bike: I've had several very serious sports related accidents involving falling down. I broke my back, my neck and my ankle. Needed several reconstructive surgeries and am still needing at least 1 or 2 more in the future to keep things in place. Obviously this has caused a bit of mental road block for me when it comes to putting myself into any situation where another fall could happen at any moment. I guess I feel like it's too much of a risk after having ridden with out the clipless on platforms only for years, and then falling twice with the clipless in a year. BTW: I have Look Keo pedals right now and they are very loose and easy to get in and out of. For me I think it's just the mental aspect that just freaks me out too much.

There is a big difference between a serious accident breaking your neck and falling over in cleats. And I'm not saying you should have no fear... I get it.... but you have fallen over twice in a year and neither caused a broken neck.

As far as biking and snowboarding... there seems to be this learning period where you are not going real fast, you fall a lot... and it hurts a lot. You try to catch your self, you get slammed down... ect. Then you get better and then you get faster... you fall less, but when you do, you are going faster, and get hurt less. That has just been my experience... my worst was learning to snow board... very painful. But then I got better.... and I love going fast. I have had some serious yard sales down half the mountain and no big deal.

Same with mountain biking. I have rode with clips for a good 15 years now. Don't even think twice about it. I still wreck... and in every single case I have parted from my bike, and I could not tell you how. People have this fear I guess of being mangled by there bike rolling down the street. Clips are like ski bindings, they will part. Then you slide down the street and get road rash... but that isn't the pedals fault.

I don't know what your wreck was from. Cycling is sort of a an unnatural sport. In all sports there is a "ready" position... relaxed, feet shoulder width apart, weight over your hips.... but a bike is this metal thing in your personal space in a very "unready" position. So if you are going to be a cyclist, then you should use the tools that will work best for you, and those are clip less pedals. Just say the hell with it. Pros have had many bad wrecks, they still ride clipless. Sort of do or don't thing. I really wish the best for you. I have no idea how I would feel if I had been in a serious accident... I might not even be riding anymore.

Edited by powerman 2011-11-18 11:33 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I can't do it anymore!! Rss Feed  

of 2