Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-01-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3970703

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: RE: Biggest Loser

Bripod - 2012-01-04 11:47 AM When that dad made the comment about "running long distances" in regard to running 40 yards, I told my wife, "That's only like halfway through Wal-Mart." I'm really enjoying the true competition between Bob & Dolvett - you can tell that they're both out to win the thing and that they're serious competitors, something that I think has been absent (or maybe not as demonstrated in the final production) from the show up until now.

DW and I watched last night and laughed at the "running long distance" comment.  I feel like they should get a (reasonably) fit person, maybe one of the trainers, to do some of the challenges early in the season to put into perspective how rock bottom they have hit.  For Comparison's sake it would be interesting to hear the comments, "I knew I was out of shape... but didn't realize I was THAT out of shape".

2012-01-04 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3968036

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Saw some of it while running on a treadmill at the gym.

So glad Ana is gone.

Dolvett is good. I like him.

I felt horrible... but I busted out laughing when that one guy rolled in the running. Sorry, OK maybe I'm not THAT sorry... but dang it was FUNNY!

What is up with Santa? OH MY!

Looked to be a bunch of big ones again. Which means a lack luster finale again.

I love it when they workout and vomit. My favorite part! I love it.

I saw that some other gym is the sponser now... and not 24 Hour Fitness. Interesting.

I'll probably watch the entire episode on Thursday while riding the bike trainer.

2012-01-04 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I was doing something else during the beginning of the episode, but I think one of the contestants said that they had been hoping to get on the ranch since the first season.  So that person has been wanting to get into shape since 2004.  That is the one thing I don't like about the show.  Some people think that just because they can't stop everything they are doing for a few months and get 24/7 support that they can't get back into shape.

I know a more realistic game show where people work out 1-2 hours a day and eat healthy wouldn't be nearly as entertaining, but I'd like it if normal people got more publicity. Maybe tie every player on the ranch to someone at home.

2012-01-04 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3970926

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I had mostly the same impressions.  Dolvett is too studly!

One favorite was the blond pink girl, Emily, saying "I've tried everything!" while they show footage of her snarfing down some giant fast food sandwich in a plastic basket.  Classic.

2012-01-04 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas

I agree with the previous post that this was probably a legit one week weigh in.  Whereas in the past they had a few extra days, because I was always suspicious when one of the men would lose 25-30+ pounds allegedly in "one week." 

Overally, the contestants are smaller, as I think they are hoping for more dramatic finale before and after shots.  (i.e. men starting in the low 300 range as opposed to 400+ and women in the mid 200's. 

Well, that is enough typing for now, I have a long run scheduled on BT training plan, got to somehow squeeze in a 40 yarder between work and dinner tonight ...

2012-01-04 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
Overall, I think it’s going to be a good season. I liked that they split the teams up. That will definitely change the dynamics of the gameplay. I also liked most of the contestants. The only one’s I didn’t particularly like was the green team because they seemed to be whiny.

The whole Santa thing is a little freaky. My 5 year old was really upset when “ Santa” collapsed. We had to explain that he wasn’t the “real” Santa. He just looked like him. It’s going to take while to get used to seeing Santa working out and shirtless at the weigh-ins.

I hated to see Ben go home. I really liked him and his brother. They both seem to be great guys. But, it was nice to see that he was doing well at home. I know he will probably catch some grief for volunteering to go home so early, but I can’t really fault a guy for missing his family. Plus, he had to be dealing with a fair amount of guilty for leaving his wife at home with 9 kids.

I’m looking forward to a great season.

2012-01-04 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3970561

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
StartingToTri - 2012-01-04 11:50 AM

I think this is what I heard...

At the beginning when confronted with the 40-yard sprint (yea, I agree with the above - a sprint doesn't seem the best idea), the one Dad (grey team?) said of his son:

"He doesn't do well running long distances like that."

And I thought, dude... it's 40 yards.  120 feet.  I don't think that qualifies as a "long" distance.

But - overall - I thought this was a better start to the season than last year.  I like that there are no absolutely huge people on the show.  I like that the broke up the partners.  I wish Jillian were still on, but I like Dolvett and Bob well enough.  

I don't know that I was ready for yet another season, but, bring it on!

That's exactly what I said!

2012-01-04 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Felt a little bad for the guy (not so much the girl) on the teal team that didn't get on the ranch when just a week later, Ben asked to be sent home.  He had "learned all he needed to" in order to do it at home.  I understand he missed his family and wife is pregnant, but there's another team that didn't get on the ranch that wanted to.
2012-01-04 11:52 PM

New user

San Jose
BL is one of the few shows I watch. I love it. But, I would love to know what they really do all day, and if the workout aren't exagerated. I think all the drama, working to exhustion every day is great entertainment, but find it hard to believe. They take 400 lb senior citizens that haven't worked out in years and work them hard for six hours a day - then do the same tomorrow, the next day... I work out regularly, can ride hard all day - but I have some 45 minute workouts that leave me unable to walk down stairs for two days - worse the 2nd day than the 1st. I haven't seen them talk about alternating muscle groups or resting to let the muscles you tear down rebuild, which is where growth comes from. On the other hand, if it were smoke and mirrors, someone would have exposed it by now. What do you think?
2012-01-05 12:29 AM
in reply to: #3971999

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Mmcgaughey - 2012-01-04 11:52 PM BL is one of the few shows I watch. I love it. But, I would love to know what they really do all day, and if the workout aren't exagerated. I think all the drama, working to exhustion every day is great entertainment, but find it hard to believe. They take 400 lb senior citizens that haven't worked out in years and work them hard for six hours a day - then do the same tomorrow, the next day... I work out regularly, can ride hard all day - but I have some 45 minute workouts that leave me unable to walk down stairs for two days - worse the 2nd day than the 1st. I haven't seen them talk about alternating muscle groups or resting to let the muscles you tear down rebuild, which is where growth comes from. On the other hand, if it were smoke and mirrors, someone would have exposed it by now. What do you think?

Only about 1-2 hours per day a few times a week is with the trainers doing the heavy-duty interval stuff.  The rest is a lot of lower impact cardio...a LOT.

2012-01-05 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3972015

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
jldicarlo - 2012-01-05 1:29 AM

Mmcgaughey - 2012-01-04 11:52 PM BL is one of the few shows I watch. I love it. But, I would love to know what they really do all day, and if the workout aren't exagerated. I think all the drama, working to exhustion every day is great entertainment, but find it hard to believe. They take 400 lb senior citizens that haven't worked out in years and work them hard for six hours a day - then do the same tomorrow, the next day... I work out regularly, can ride hard all day - but I have some 45 minute workouts that leave me unable to walk down stairs for two days - worse the 2nd day than the 1st. I haven't seen them talk about alternating muscle groups or resting to let the muscles you tear down rebuild, which is where growth comes from. On the other hand, if it were smoke and mirrors, someone would have exposed it by now. What do you think?

Only about 1-2 hours per day a few times a week is with the trainers doing the heavy-duty interval stuff.  The rest is a lot of lower impact cardio...a LOT.

Lest we not also forget that these guys also have access to world class support... ice baths, massages, whirlpools, PT, coaches, absolutely nothing else to do but train and recover, etc.  So although they are grossly out of shape, I would imagine that they have better "rest and recovery" than most all of us.

2012-01-05 8:10 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Ha, Loving This Show.

I almost watched the whole show, it totally has my interest now. Finally adding some drama in. I love how they had people outside the gates, ha, reminded me of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Loved the "long distance like that" run, omg, I died it was too funny. Ha, and then he "blew a hammy". Ha. I mean I shouldn't laugh. You knew someone was going to get hurt, that was just stupid. And then that crazy tiptoe challenge. Man, I am surprised someone didn't break a neck doing that.

I totally agree, more stuff from the trainers, and not cheesy entrances off helicopters and motor bikes, that was just dumb. Dolvett jumping out of a helicopter was pretty nifty but to compare that with Bob riding a motorcycle, HA. More of them fighting. And more rewards and punishments for them. Like if you lose you don't get to train your team until you have run 20 miles.

What made me super sad was hearing how these people, "needed through these door like anything," and how, "nothing is going to stop them." I mean, no kidding right. Just kind of strange how much faith people put what happens at the BL ranch. I mean I never have been through what those people are going through but they must be on a serious low to have their entire life being propped up by this dream of getting on the BL. I guess they know they can't do it on their own....

eta: oh yeah, thanks Santa...finally a guy who doesn't shave his back.

Edited by BigDH 2012-01-05 8:11 AM
2012-01-05 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3968720

User image

Expert
Casa Grande
Saw that Jillian is leaving the "doctors" and rumor has it, she might be headed back to Biggest Loser.  That would be awesome
2012-01-05 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I finally watched it last night. A few thoughts:
I’m not saying it’s the worst name for a boy I’ve ever heard, but let’s just say that if I have another child, he isn’t going to be named “Chism”.

I liked the “running long distances” comment too, but my favorite moment was after they split up the couples and they were trying to decide which trainers to choose, the wife of the guy who looks like Santa Claus said to him, “This is going to be hard for you with your codependency.” Nice. Way to be supportive and encouraging, Mrs. Claus.

What was up with the girl on the red team saying he hates Mike? It’s a little early to be hating anyone, isn’t it?

I like that they’ve gone with a smaller cast this season, after having such a large cast last season. Personally, it was hard to get inspired and feel really good about the results when most of the women on the show still weighed more than I do at 180lbs and most of the guys were still in the upper 200’s. It wasn't as if you could say that any of the final contestants were "healthy" when it was over.

I’ve only been watching TBL since last year, but there is an interesting pattern emerging, which is that African American women seem to do really badly on this show. The woman on the aqua team cost her team a spot last night, failing on both the puzzle and the barrel stand challenges. Debbie was the first to go home last season, and the woman on the red team with the short-cropped hair was one of the first to go the season before. Has that been the case historically?

I like the competitiveness between Dolvett and Bob. I’m not sure how much of it is cooked and how much is genuine, but it’s a fun wrinkle.
2012-01-05 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3972277

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

punishments for them. Like if you lose you don't get to train your team until you have run 20 miles. What made me super sad was hearing how these people, "needed through these door like anything," and how, "nothing is going to stop them." I mean, no kidding right. Just kind of strange how much faith people put what happens at the BL ranch. I mean I never have been through what those people are going through but they must be on a serious low to have their entire life being propped up by this dream of getting on the BL. I guess they know they can't do it on their own.... 

For the most part these people DO need something like the shock of the Biggest Loser to get going.  If they could do anything on their own they would just be "mildly obese" instead of extremely obese.  Most of them truly don't even know where to start.  Or might really think that a salad with fatty dressing is healthy for them (because they don't understand enough about calorie content to realize how unhealthy some salad ingredients are).  Their self-confidence has been SO demolished in many cases that they truly don't think they can do it on their own.

I'm not necessarily making excuses for them...just explaining where they are coming from.  This show does tend to give them both the knowledge and confidence they need to help themselves

And even if some of them gain SOME of the weight back afterwards I guarantee they are still far far healthier than when they started.

2012-01-05 10:29 AM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member

No one is going to take up my challenge of predicting the 5 for make over week?

I has a sad.  

2012-01-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3972644

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
dgunthert - 2012-01-05 10:29 AM

I has a sad.  

I couldn't tell you any of the names of the contestants other than Chism (which I agree is an awful name). Give me a week or two and then I'm in. Last year I like to think I would have probably picked Ramon, his g/f, John, Sunny, and Anton.
2012-01-05 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
oh yeah, and what about Ali. I mean am I the only person who thinks she is hitting the crossfit HARD. Her neck looks thicker, her shoulders looks wider, it looks like she has lost weight in her face. And her bottom, I mean, hello momma. lol. Of course she always could pull off a tight dress.

I told that to my wife and all she said just looks like she lost some weight because you can see her collarbones.
2012-01-05 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3972644

User image

Champion
Calgary
dgunthert - 2012-01-05 9:29 AM

I has a sad.  

u know I don't know.

I am going to go with Santa. I think being away from his wife just might cure his co dependency issues and he will turn out to be a fighter.

I'll say Buddy too. He is a big boy right. Going to have to keep him around.

Cassandra. Not sure why, her grandma is there, she doesn't have a ton to lose so not much of a threat, and she seems pleasant.

I think the pink team has a good shot, just because in eliminations, strategy wise, you are going to pick someone who has their partner there right. They are both chicks, not super big, seem fun, may slide under the radar.

I think that teal team is going to come back strong. Only having to lose 50 pounds between them. I mean that is a lot, but if they put their mind on it they will get it done. And if they come back in 4 weeks then they will have some power because they will still be a team, probably 4 of the other teams will be broken up and there will be all sorts of dysfunction going on.

2012-01-05 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3972720

User image

Regular

BigDH - 2012-01-05 10:56 AM oh yeah, and what about Ali. I mean am I the only person who thinks she is hitting the crossfit HARD. Her neck looks thicker, her shoulders looks wider, it looks like she has lost weight in her face. And her bottom, I mean, hello momma. lol. Of course she always could pull off a tight dress. I told that to my wife and all she said just looks like she lost some weight because you can see her collarbones.

I woun't mind her pulling off her tight dress.Laughing

At least one member of the pink team will make it to the "make over".  No sure about the rest. (My second choice was the guy that went home.)

BTW. Did anyone else see the commercial will Jillian in it.  I thought it was a bit odd.

2012-01-05 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3972707

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member

Bripod - 2012-01-05 10:52 AM

I couldn't tell you any of the names of the contestants other than Chism (which I agree is an awful name). Give me a week or two and then I'm in. Last year I like to think I would have probably picked Ramon, his g/f, John, Sunny, and Anton.

I cheated.  I looked at the NBC web site to get the names straight as I gave it some thought.

2012-01-05 1:47 PM

User image

New user
I haven't seen the show yet, thank goodness for OnDemand, but I did like in the preview where Santa was on his back and Bob saying something like "It looks like Santa got run over by a reindeer".
2012-01-06 12:33 AM

User image

Regular
Norman
I watched one episode last year, but I guess I'll watch it this year. Apparently Chism went to my high school and they still live in the town. Not sure if that's something to be proud of coming from a tiny town...
2012-01-06 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Seriously... who names their kid Chism.
2012-01-06 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3972430

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jmk-brooklyn - 2012-01-05 8:58 AM

I liked the “running long distances” comment too, but my favorite moment was after they split up the couples and they were trying to decide which trainers to choose, the wife of the guy who looks like Santa Claus said to him, “This is going to be hard for you with your codependency.” Nice. Way to be supportive and encouraging, Mrs. Claus.

I’ve only been watching TBL since last year, but there is an interesting pattern emerging, which is that African American women seem to do really badly on this show. The woman on the aqua team cost her team a spot last night, failing on both the puzzle and the barrel stand challenges. Debbie was the first to go home last season, and the woman on the red team with the short-cropped hair was one of the first to go the season before. Has that been the case historically?

I just can't believe Mrs. Claus is ONLY 42. WOW. She looks like 52! WOW.

I will say that in the past, African American women haven't faired too well on the show. The men, have. The women, not so much.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Biggest Loser Rss Feed  

of 19