Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Strangest thing to ever happen at your workplace Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-01-31 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4019636

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Strangest thing to ever happen at your workplace

We had an employee put his car into drove rather than reverse and put a hole in the back wall of the building.  It was an OLD Buick with big steel bumpers, the front of the car wasn't damaged but the hood of the car was dented from all the bricks that fell on it.

We also had two women get into a fist fight over a bounced check and non-payment for a shipment of Tupperware.  

2012-01-31 12:39 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

We had a job applicant come in in a small town I was running a shop in.   I talk to him, show him around.  He is kind of tweaky, and I have no intention of hiring him.   He leaves, driving a teal green Camaro convertable.   As he drives away, one of my supervisors rushes out and asks "who is that?"  I read the name off of the application.   She says "that's my car"!

The car was recovered that night from his garage, it was half way through an "extreem makeover" where he was parting it out for his own crashed up Camaro, filing down the vin numbers.

He gets out on bail and comes BACK to check on his application.   I told him simply that his references did not check out.

He wanted to be a driver. 

2012-01-31 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4020927

User image

Seattle
bootygirl - 2012-01-31 12:39 PM

We had a job applicant come in in a small town I was running a shop in.   I talk to him, show him around.  He is kind of tweaky, and I have no intention of hiring him.   He leaves, driving a teal green Camaro convertable.   As he drives away, one of my supervisors rushes out and asks "who is that?"  I read the name off of the application.   She says "that's my car"!

The car was recovered that night from his garage, it was half way through an "extreem makeover" where he was parting it out for his own crashed up Camaro, filing down the vin numbers.

He gets out on bail and comes BACK to check on his application.   I told him simply that his references did not check out.

Holy **** this story just made my day. 

2012-01-31 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque

I've worked 25+ years in the restaurant industry, so I've seen my share.

Separated a guy and girl because I saw the guy reach over the table and punch her. He said "it's ok, she's my wife". Then it was time for him to go outside while I waited inside for the cops with her.

Had a guy grab one of the waitresses by the crotch and didn't understand why I was throwing him out for it. 

Off duty cop stopped his own car jacking right in front of me as he shot the suspect through his driver's side window, where the scumbag died instantly.

Had a car miss the turn at the intersection and barrel through the back half of the restaurant right at the end of a busy Friday night. An hour earlier and there would have been quite a few deaths.

Found a female catheter right outside out door in the middle of the day...used.

I've got hundreds...restaurants are a never-ending supply of wackjobs!

2012-01-31 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
bootygirl - 2012-01-31 1:39 PM

Dumbest criminal ever, perhaps?

2012-01-31 12:56 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Thankfully I wasn't working there yet when this happened...

5 dead

One of the guys who was injured I worked a lot with...almost all of the guys who were injured still worked there.  The company treated them pretty well - and give them that day off every year...although I'm not sure I'd want to get shot to get "the royal treatment".

The guy I worked with had a really bad year...when he finally came back to work - shortly after - he basically lit himself on fire.  Not on purpose...although how some of those guys treat the engines when they are running, you might argue it was on purpose.  Even a "cold" engine has 150 deg + fluids.  My (1st) boss there was very cautious - but I tried to listen to him when he said there are 3 rules here - and one was never gone in the cell when the engine was running.

Another guy was "nice" enough to take me on the "shooting tour" where he was able to point out where the bullet holes were.  They actually STILL had a trash can that was hit... (I didn't really want to go on the "tour" but he basically insisted...)

2012-01-31 1:51 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Yikes - these make my whack job desk neighbor not seem so bad.  I think the worst he did was ask me to come into the lunch room for a minute to help him with something.  I followed him there and he was holding something that looked like a short turkey baster (or if you have kids, a snot sucker) and asked me to help him get the wax out of his ears!  he said it was all packed up in there and all I had to do was squirt water in there to get it to run out.  Um, no thanks!  He said he asked me because his wife said no.
2012-01-31 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4021174

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

MomX3 - 2012-01-31 1:51 PM Yikes - these make my whack job desk neighbor not seem so bad.  I think the worst he did was ask me to come into the lunch room for a minute to help him with something.  I followed him there and he was holding something that looked like a short turkey baster (or if you have kids, a snot sucker) and asked me to help him get the wax out of his ears!  he said it was all packed up in there and all I had to do was squirt water in there to get it to run out.  Um, no thanks!  He said he asked me because his wife said no.

hahahahahaha!  Who would ever ask their co-worker to do something so gross that their spouse said no to??

2012-01-31 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

CONGRATULATIONS!  You've done what hardly anyone else in the world has ever been able to do...  Leave the BFD speechless!  I'm just...  I mean...  The sheer...  DAMN!!!!  Surprised

2012-01-31 3:00 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Back in a day, I worked on a construction crew in rural Virginia. A couple of the guys on the crew grew a little pot on the side to supplement their incomes. Back then, in the late summer and early fall the state police and the national guard would fly over the entire county in helicopters looking for the marijuana plants that were ready to harvest, and call in "ground strikes" to sieze and burn the plants (and a whole lot of diesel fuel).

So it came to pass in those days that one of these guys had left some fairly well-grown plants in five gallon buckets in a relative's back yard.

When they heard and saw the helicopters fly over the job site (we were framing a house at the time) they dropped their tool belts right where they were and jumped into a pickup truck (open bed) and took off to retrieve the plants. I was kinda pissed because I was left to do the work by myself. Our boss was at another site that day.

When they returned (and yes, they returned) they told a tale of playing dodge-the-chopper with a truck load of five foot tall pot plants in the back of the truck. They had to toss out the plants into a ditch when the chopper got too close.

I am still in amazement at the amount of luck that some people have. Of course, one of the guys died in a DUI incident a few years later, and the other one is serving 10-20 for cooking meth, so maybe "luck" isn't really the right word.

2012-01-31 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4021287

User image

Elite
Reno
Bigfuzzydoug - 2012-01-31 2:24 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!  You've done what hardly anyone else in the world has ever been able to do...  Leave the BFD speechless!  I'm just...  I mean...  The sheer...  DAMN!!!!  Surprised

Thank you.  thank you very much.

2012-01-31 4:09 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
As a nurse who has worked far too many years in the ER......I can say the chief complaint quote game is always a good draw for the funniest thing happening at work.  As in the day I triaged a woman who was at least 65 who said she had a foreign body in her crotch.  Ummmmyeah, she was masturbating with a bottle from tylenol and it kind of got stuck in there.  It took the larg clamps used in the open heart OR to retrieve said bottle.  We educated her on sex shops for those kinds of toys.
2012-01-31 4:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts

Worked as a bank teller during college and I was working at one of our "higher crime" branches when the teller at each end of the teller line was getting robbed at the same time. 

Note to bank robbers:  Don't rob a branch that is already in a high crime area (tend to be more cops in the area) and don't pick a bank where the owner goes out of his way to cater to the cops!

The robbers didn't know each other and both just happened to be robbing us at the same time.  Both got caught as they walked out of the bank.

2012-01-31 4:42 PM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Our project finished ahead of schedule, completed more than originally planned, and finished under budget. Spooky.
2012-01-31 5:45 PM
in reply to: #4021630

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

TheSchwamm - 2012-01-31 4:42 PM Our project finished ahead of schedule, completed more than originally planned, and finished under budget. Spooky.

That's not spooky, that's downright impossible!   I don't think I'll ever see that in my lifetime

2012-01-31 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA
We had a employee who came into work, used the men's room and then shot and killed his manager, and supervisor plus wounding two others before shooting and killing himself.

2012-01-31 10:45 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
One of my "best"/Favorites has got to be walking onto a basketball court to try and separate a brawl started by a mother against coach of the other team.  Then all the parents jumped in.  As I was walking on the court I remembered I was 7 mo pregnant... I walked off and let my co-worker handle it while I called the police.  Yep, 5th grade boys recreational basketball.

Then there was grandpa that threatened the teenage referee that he was coming back w/ a shot gun.
(3rd grade basketball)  I actually had to form a peer committee to take action against the grandfather.  Now we call the cops on those threats (which still come from parents)

Another favorite is Summer 2002, spending hours w/ local police going through pictures and daily admits on our computer system b/c they thought "a local Al Queda cell was working out in our gym"  REALLY????  I'm still LMAO on that one!!!

Oh, and the THREE HOUR (12 mile) drive up the canyon for ski program b/c idiot bus driver put the chains on the WRONG axle (not the drive axle)!!!  But NO he wouldn't listen to me until I finally managed to get cell reception to call his garage (b/c he knew it all and didn't need to call, ERGH!)

and per the bathrooms... why is it little boys LOVE to pee on the sauna rocks????
2012-02-01 12:47 AM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Bike shops get all the odd characters who aren't allowed to have drivers licenses and all the drunks who lose their licenses. Usually just for service on their box store specials.

We've had guys walk in plastered at 11am.

We had a guy come in to pick up his bike who was so drunk he could barely make it from the front door to the service counter without falling. He then proceeded to load the bike into his trunk and drive off, the bike falling out of the trunk 20 feet from our driveway (had I known he was driving, I would have stopped him and called the cops). He came back two weeks later wondering if we had found his bike.

When I was first starting out, a customer tried to punch my manager, then started sobbing and going on about how his wife was leaving him.

Last week I watched a lady willfully drive into the snow filled ditch in front of the store and then try to back out. I ended up pulling her out with our store plow/event-trailer-towing truck.

---

When I was a Lifty at a ski area, I had a kid himself on the chair. A lady ran into and broke off a 4x4 used for the lift line ropes and keep going like nothing happened. Mennonite girls skiing in ankle length denim skirts. The season they instituted drug testing for lift attendants, half of the lift attendants quit as soon as learning of the new testing.

2012-02-01 4:08 AM
in reply to: #4021576

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

QueenZipp - 2012-01-31 2:09 PM As a nurse who has worked far too many years in the ER......I can say the chief complaint quote game is always a good draw for the funniest thing happening at work.  As in the day I triaged a woman who was at least 65 who said she had a foreign body in her crotch.  Ummmmyeah, she was masturbating with a bottle from tylenol and it kind of got stuck in there.  It took the larg clamps used in the open heart OR to retrieve said bottle.  We educated her on sex shops for those kinds of toys.

One of my employees was an ER nurse for many years and nobody can top the stories of the things she has seen.  I think the ER is by far the most target rich environment for strange happenings.

2012-02-01 6:50 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
I once worked in an upscale restaurant. One night, a guy was out for a date and went to the bathroom. He came back to the table with toilet paper stuck to the bottom of his shoe. Unfortunately for him, it was still attached to the roll in the men's room. Meaning: He left a map of his path from the bathroom back to table 71. Like little Billy in Family Circus. God, it was comical!
2012-02-01 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

A manager at a large manufacturing company had a BO problem.  It was brought to his attention by one of his co-workers in private as to not embarrass him.  A week later the employee that talked to the manager started to smell things in his office and thought he was having problems and checked his shoes and asked others if he was smelling bad also.  He was ready to go to the doctor, but at the end of the shift, I found a plastic baggy stapled  under his chair with dog poop in it.

I think all of the ER nurses should start their own thread, because they could probably go on for days!!!!

2012-02-01 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati

We had a semi rig left in neutral and coasted away from the dock. There was a forklift half on the truck that dropped five feet to the the ground. The forklift driver didn't even have time to catch his breath because he had to chase the rig down on foot, jump inside, and put the parking brake on.

Same job, night shift; The couple in the house across the street decided to have some fun with the window opened and the lights on. It is obviously on purpose too, they put on quite a show.

2 jobs later, we had a skunk wonder into the plant on night shift. It didn' t spray luckily, just nosed around and left.

2012-02-01 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan
I was down south helping open a new plant that built seats for Nissan.  The building was thrown up quickly, and everything inside was built quickly.  So quickly that the people who erected all the industrial racking didn't used the bolts to lock them together.  A forklift was lifting a pallet to the top shelf (a good 25-30' up) and came in a little low, he raised his forks to clear the edge, and in doing so pulled the rail off the vertical racking.  The pallets on either side tipped down and an avalanche of boxes containing 3/4" Seat bolts started raining down on the forklift.  Thank God the roof structure held up, and that no one was on foot near there. 
2012-02-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4022469

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
popsracer - 2012-02-01 4:08 AM

QueenZipp - 2012-01-31 2:09 PM As a nurse who has worked far too many years in the ER......I can say the chief complaint quote game is always a good draw for the funniest thing happening at work.  As in the day I triaged a woman who was at least 65 who said she had a foreign body in her crotch.  Ummmmyeah, she was masturbating with a bottle from tylenol and it kind of got stuck in there.  It took the larg clamps used in the open heart OR to retrieve said bottle.  We educated her on sex shops for those kinds of toys.

One of my employees was an ER nurse for many years and nobody can top the stories of the things she has seen.  I think the ER is by far the most target rich environment for strange happenings.

I'm sure your right but have you ever been in a 24 hour Walmart at 2:am? All kinds of strange happenings. And then there are the customers.

PS. Don't ask me why I was in Walmart at 2:am. Mostly because I don't remember.

2012-02-01 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

You're posting in my workplace. I don't think I need to say any more.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Strangest thing to ever happen at your workplace Rss Feed  

of 4