General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-05-13 9:41 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: DNF
DNF. Did Not Finish. Those words will haunt me now for the remainder of my life. That is what will forever be by my name for the 2006 Gulf Coast Triathlon. I cannot begin to tell you the tsunami of emotions that hit me when I came to the realization that I had failed. Shame. Disappointment. Humiliation. Dishonor. Failure. Looser.

For 5 1/2 months I trained as hard as I could. After over 1,100 miles running, biking and swimming I had built my endurance to run 13 miles and bike 56 miles. I had lost 35 lbs and thought I was ready for anything. A DNF never really entered my mind. I figured, short of being hit broadside by a semi, I was (eventually) gonna finish this race. The one thing that never even entered my mind was my tendency towards motion sickness.

The weather was beautiful and it looked like it was gonna be a wonderful day for the race. There was 1,500 triathletes ready to go this morning and as I approached the starting line I was confident, rested, carb-loaded and anxious to get started.

There were 12 buoys making the 1.2 mile swim course. I was starting in group 12 out of 15 so was very near the back of the race. I hit the water and began to swim and felt great. The waves were not too big near the beach and when I crossed the breakers things settled down even more. Nevertheless, the waves and currents moved me around in the water and by the time I reached the first buoy I began to feel dizzy. By the time I reached the second buoy I knew I was in trouble. I was getting nauseous from the wave movements. Up and down and slight side to side I went and my head started to swirl around.

I tried to ignore the feeling of sea sickness and concentrate on my swimming. By the time I reached the third buoy I was sick as a dog and the for the first time the thought that I was not gonna be able to make it came to me. I shut the thought out of my head and continued on. I thought maybe if I changed from swimming freestyle to breaststroke it might help but it did not. Eventually I rounded the 6th buoy and was almost half way but I was getting progressively sicker. At this point I was counting stokes. I could only swim about 10 stokes before I had to stop and look at the horizon or the buoy to stop my head from spinning out of control.

I rounded the 6th buoy and tried to tell myself that it was almost over but I did not believe this lie and I felt my stomach rumbling. I tried to stop and just stay still but that was even worse as I bobbed up and down. I was so sick. But quitting just ain't in me so I asked myself. 'if I were stranded out here would I die?' There was hesitation in my answer as I tried to convince myself that I had to make it back to shore. I passed buoy 7 but by now I could only swim about 5 stokes before I had to stop. I told myself there were only 5 buoys to go and then I'd be on solid ground although at this point even the thought of getting on a bike didn't sound too fun either. I just wanted to be still. As I approached the 8th buoy, I lost it. I started hurling.

It was at this point that I realized I was in serious trouble. I had been getting progressively sicker and sicker and now I was hurling. My head was twirling and I could hardly see straight. It wouldn't be long before I was dry-heaving and gasping for air and sucking in sea water. Anyway, it's kinda hard to swim while you're hurling. So I flagged one of the Sea Doos and they came over and threw me a gurney thing. I grabbed on to the rope and they dragged my sick butt to shore.

It was over. 5 1/2 months of training and anticipation had ended in total failure. I walked back to the hotel humiliated. I took the elevator to the 4th floor and thought I would puke when the elevator started moving. I was still sick. I got to my room and laid on the bed for about 2 hours before my head stopped swimming. Eventually I got up and went to retrieve my bike from the transition area. Most all the bikes were out on the course now however there were a dozen or so other bikes left in the transition area and I wondered what their story was. I pushed my bike out past the spectators in what felt like a 'walk of shame'. I felt like I had a big DNF in scarlet letters across my forehead.

I don't know what the future holds. Maybe I'll look for a HIM in a lake where the water does not move so much.

I guess when you 'swing for the fence', when you strike out, you strike out big! [Mike drops his head and walks back to the dugout in shame]

~Mike

2006-05-13 9:50 PM
in reply to: #423124

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: DNF
Mike - the fact that you feel so strongly tells of the fire that burns within you, something very admirable.  you trained, you tried, you went out there....unfortunately you didn't finish.  i guarantee you there are plenty of other people on this site who have had a DNF.  now that you know what you're up against, you'll do it next time, you'll finish.  pick a lake race, where the waves aren't as bad, or practice in the ocean until you can manage it.  take a dramamine non-drowsy before your next race.  no matter what, you know now what you need to do, so get out there and keep your chin up!  you can do it.
2006-05-13 9:54 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Hey Mike, that sounds rough and it sucks that you got sick and didn't finish. But, I wouldn't look at it as a total failure. Sometimes you can't foresee what's going to happen. I think getting sick is definitely something you can't foresee. Not finishing because you are sick is understandable. Maybe try a shorter open water swim for your next tri? Is there something you could take to prevent getting sick? You can do it!

Edited by Artemis 2006-05-13 9:56 PM
2006-05-13 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
I'm sorry to hear about your race. To put some positive spin on the situation, you lost 35 lbs. You logged a ton of miles and you are wiser and more experience, not just with triathlons, but with understanding yourself. While the journey didn't end the way you wanted, you still took it and came out a better person. Don't dwell on the DNF, and just take it in stride.
2006-05-13 9:58 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Mike...it was hard day you perservered as long as you could....bummer (isn't strong enough word)  that your body did something so unexpected.

Your training and hard work has made you fit, faster, leaner...all things that will help you in your next race. So have you looked around to consider another one?

Getting seasick isn't something I'd consider....I'm liking lake swims more and more!

Big hug from here....you have accomlpished a lot to get to the starting line.. huge something most people wouldn't consider.  I hope  you'll gain some insight from this disappointment.

2006-05-13 10:04 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
You got to the starting line after a significant committment to training and lifestyle. That should be commended. To step up to the line and know you were ready to finish it is a great accomplishment.

I'd second the dramamine (at least once).

If you're looking for a second bite at the apple, Steelhead (Lake Michigan) still has 133 openings August 5.

2006-05-13 10:05 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Don't feel shame, dishonor, humiliation, or like a loser-failure. Don't feel that way at all! It happens. You learn more from a bad race than you do a "good" one... I can understand your feeling of disappointment, but try not to let that overcome you.

I have a friend who is an awesome swimmer who had to be fished out of Lake Michigan during Spirit of Racine 2 years ago...too many waves, he got freaked out, and panicked. He laughs about it now...but it was hard for him at first... we, of course, don't hold it against him, and he's since returned to Wisconsin to exact his revenge on Lake Michigan.

I don't have any suggestions as to how to better prepare, except for MORE OPEN WATER SWIMMING...? Use this as a learning experience. I understand and know how disappointed you must be...

It happens. It does not make you a bad person, a loser, a failure or a shame. It makes you human.

Whizzzzzzzzzzz 

2006-05-13 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
When's your next race?...Sign up for one and keep going without looking back.
2006-05-13 10:16 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Yes! You can't change what's happened, but you can have an immediate impact on your FUTURE! Well said, Chris Hughes!
2006-05-13 10:21 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

I agree with everyone, the fact that the waves made you sick was not something you could have known unless you had been swimming open water.  Taking something that would help control that would be a start.  A Dramamine or two might do the trick.

You did more than a lot of people would have, sure it stinks, but you know what to expect now and I think you can come back stronger.

2006-05-13 10:24 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
DNF is not failure - you gave it your best and you got stung by the unexpected. lesson learned for the next race. DNS (Did not Show) - that is failure and that was not you! Keep pushing forward and don't dwell on the past!

2006-05-13 10:39 PM

User image

Elite
As a seasoned scuba diver who has braved the Florida Keys to do wreck dives in Januarey I wholeheartadelt suggest dramamine. I thought I was going to die the one time I took a trip out to sea without it.
2006-05-13 10:51 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Mike... how disappointing and upsetting. You planned and prepared... and you didn't get to finish. Very upsetting indeed.

Now, don't take it as a failure, but rather... a lesson learned. You know now that before you go do an ocen swim... you need to address how to not get sick.

Otherwise... I say stick to lakes. Lakes are good.

Again, sorry to hear about your DNF. Your next race will be better.

2006-05-14 5:41 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Man, you guys are awesome! I got all choked up reading all these words of encouragement, consultation and suggestions.

Thank you all!!

~Mike

Anybody know of a good HIM with a lake swim?
2006-05-14 5:46 AM

User image

Imperial Beach
Mike,
A little positive news for you, from one who has spent his life living on the sea and watching the effects of being seasick, what you are describing does not sound like motion sickness, it sounds like something didn't agree with your stomach.... As soon as you leave ocean or the motion, the sickness disappears. If you were sick for 2 hours after getting out of the water, I'd question something I had in my stomach. Motion sickness usually vanishes so quickly that you wonder if it was really happening.
2006-05-14 5:58 AM
in reply to: #423199

User image

Champion
Alabama
passingthought - 2006-05-14 5:46 AM

Mike,
A little positive news for you, from one who has spent his life living on the sea and watching the effects of being seasick, what you are describing does not sound like motion sickness, it sounds like something didn't agree with your stomach.... As soon as you leave ocean or the motion, the sickness disappears. If you were sick for 2 hours after getting out of the water, I'd question something I had in my stomach. Motion sickness usually vanishes so quickly that you wonder if it was really happening.

No, it was motion sickness. This is not the first time - I get sick just wathing my kids on the carrosel. If I go on a motion-based simulator at Disney World, I'm toast for about 2 hrs. I'm a SCUBA diver and have gotten sick bobbing in the water waiting for the pick-up boat and hurled into my regulator. Trust me, I know motion sickeness - I've lived with it all my life. And yes, I felt immediatly better once on the shore but my head was still dizzy for quite a while afterwards.

~Mike

2006-05-14 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

I was DNF at St. A's because of the waves, my OWS skills weren't up to it.  It's a bad feeling, but you were up against something not in your control. 

Come on down for MiamiMan HIM in November!  That's a good lake swim!  But, you're gonna need mad skills on that windy bike course!  Wink

Please go read the St. A's Race Reports for Coredump, Motivated, rkreuser, Sue7013 and GTRSAX.  And best of luck with your next race!

2006-05-14 7:45 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

There are thousands if not millions of people in the US who would want nothing more than to say they lost 35 lbs and did all that training. Also, how many sports actually have a category for people who didn't make it to the end? DNFs happen, they're part of the sport. If triathlon was simple or easy, there'd be no DNFs and everyone would do it. You leared something for next time.

No shame.

2006-05-14 7:53 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

There will always be things in life that are unexpected and that we haven't prepared for.  This is only a minor setback. You don't need to be so hard on yourself.  The most important thing is that you had the courage and commitment to put yourself out there in the first place.  I'm sure you'll figure out a way to deal with it and come back stronger.  Hang in there   

Mark

2006-05-14 8:19 AM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

So Mike - Do you have a date with Mr. Gulf Coast 2007?  I would be willing to bet you already know what the date for next year's is being held on. 

Read your sig line - "Have I done all I can do?"

Have you? Or are you going to come back stronger next year with Gulf OWS practice under your belt?

Failures gives us motivation to try harder, and make our victories so sweet.

Edited by justalittletri 2006-05-14 8:19 AM
2006-05-14 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
I easily get motion sickness and it is EXACTLY as you describe...once you are beyond the point of no return it doesnt matter if you're back on land or not...the only way to get rid of it is to sleep it off. To me it is worse than pain...I can block out pain but I cannot will away dizziness and nausea. I admire you for trying to stick it out as long as you did. If I anticipate significantly "moving" open water, I swim with those accupressure wrist bands. Maybe it is placebo, but they really seem to help and they are inexpensive so worth a try. I took Dramamine once because I knew from practice the day before I was going to have problems, but I dont recommend it due to the drowsiness factor...not a great way to race. Good luck next time.

Donna

2006-05-14 9:08 AM

Pro
Andover
Hey Mike,

Sounds like it was a rough time out there. But look at all you accomplished to get to that starting line. I'm sorry you didn’t finish this one but you are obviously strong--you've proven that--and you'll be back at it.

All the best,
Rob
2006-05-14 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Mike, Ditto's on everyone's encouragement from above.  Think of all the progress you've made.  Wow...losing 35 pounds, being able to run 13 miles and bike 56, you're new level of fitness.  You're not a loser dude!  You're a winner.  I'm sure what's happened to you has happenend to thousands of others.  Just one of those unknown variables.  Keep up the good work and look forward to the next one.  Blessings....
2006-05-14 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Sorry in advance for the cliche, but falling down is nothing to be ashamed of.  Not getting back up is.  Learn from your experience and stop at nothing to achieve your goals.
2006-05-14 10:11 AM

Regular
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

One never knows how the day will end. Get back on the horse. When the disappointment ends remember you still accomplished great things.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF Rss Feed  

of 3