General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-05-14 10:23 AM
in reply to: #423124

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Subject: RE: DNF
Mike, you are no loser! You ARE a learner! Take this experience and build on it. I have had lots of "learning experiences" in tri's during the last 2 years. This sport can be unpredictable at best. Hey, right now I am trying to recover from a VERY nasty stomach/intestinal virus that has totally derailed the weekend training. I BADLY needed the training but I'll get it over it. So will you! You put in the training and were ready except for one little thing. Now you know and next time you'll be ready. Hang in there God bless you!

Fred

2006-05-14 10:26 AM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
By the way Mike, the White Lake HIM in NC has the smoothest lake and flattest bike ride you will ever see.
2006-05-14 10:27 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Mike,

You gave it you best and there is nothing more you can do after that. You didn't DNF cause you got tired and quit. You didn't DNF cause you thought "this is too hard". Mother nature will always prevail.

Vent all you want, scream, stomp your feet (whatever it takes for you to get it out of your system), then stand up and get back on the computer an sign up for the next freakin race dam it!!
Learn from what happened and apply it to your list of what to do/not do list.

Oh yeah, CONGRATS!! on your weight loss dude, I'm looking to lose 28lbs myself. With all those miles and sacrifices you made to accomplish what you did, makes you one of those people that motivates me.
2006-05-14 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington, DC(ish)
I can only imagine your frustration. 5-1/2 months is a lot of work. I just hope you realize you accomplished the hard part. You got in shape to finish a HIM. Isn't that what it's about anyways?

Don't let all the prep go to waste. Keep training hard, find out how to overcome your sea sickness, and crush it next time!
2006-05-14 10:59 AM

Regular
Ditto on all the above! This is a great group of people around here. The old adage goes: "It's better to tri and to fail than to never tri at all" (or something close to that). Right now you are in better shape than 99% of the people in the world!!!! That is what I call success. You have learned what type of race to avoid, or what to do to prevent motion sickness when in an ocean swim. At either rate, you are much stronger and wiser now than you were yesterday. Put it behind you and find a new race to focus on and get out there and kick some more A$$!

Good Luck, Rich
2006-05-14 11:05 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

After all the precious posts, I don't really have anything new to add.  So keep re-reading what they wrote 

Was going to suggest puking quickly an getting it over with early...instead of fighting.  However, since you're a scuba diver and have puked regularly, it doesn't seem like that helps you feel better any quicker.

Have been seasick...puked...felt better nearly instantly.

You'll ROCK on the next race 

2006-05-14 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

Sorry to hear you got seasick.  I've only been seasick twice, and it is really miserable - almost an out of body experience.  I guess you'll have to pick races that are lake swims!

Not a total loss though, you lost weight, are in better shape, and really learned something important.  I think you were much grittier than I might have been.

2006-05-14 12:06 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

You did your best - the conditions just defeated you.  I don't think that you need to hang your head in shame. 

Try Bonine for the motion sickness next time - it's non-drowsy and it lasts for 24 hours (I think) so you could take it early in the morning and be good to go.  If you're that subject to motion sickness - I'd make it part of your pre-race routine, cause it sounds like you might need it every time.

2006-05-14 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

Sorry to hear about your race. How disappointing!!.....to say the least.  It certainly wasn't something you could control though.

I am a fellow motion sickness sufferer as well as a scuba diver. When I go diving (or to an amusement park) I take ginger capsules.     Two before I get on the boat... then two more after the 1st dive.  If its a long boat ride I will take more.   I used to wear the accupressure bands and take the ginger but discovered when I lost the bands that I was ok with the ginger alone.

I am unable to take dramamine and bonine because of the side effects

I swear it has been like a  miracle for me for the past 6 years.

Now, back to training for another race!

2006-05-14 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

It just wasn't meant to be yesterday. Learn from what happens, swim more in the ocean, and get back out there and finish a half IM. It will be a lot more special once you do finish the race (just ask Sarah Reinertsen about that).
2006-05-14 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Your victory was in the journey, not the event.   You embody the spirit of triathlon as much as anyone!

2006-05-14 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
I know it sucks now but you will be fine.

I DNFd a double century earlier this year and was pissed! Channel that energy into your next event and you will crush it. You didn't fail you just didn't succeed this time. You'll beat the race into submission next year! Keep up the work...sometimes you learn more from failing than succeeded this is likely to be one of those times.

Mike
2006-05-14 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago

I get the exact same kind of motion sickness you describe and I can say first hand you really made a very brave attempt.  To be hurting at the first buoy and make it to the eighth you must have been just dying out there.  Ditto to all the posts that said you made great accomplishments in your training.  The race is suppose to be the celebration where you get to show off your training.  You were denied the fun and that sucks.  However, you have plenty of suggestions on what to do next and shutting down is NOT an option.

From another motion sickness person, way to hang in there as long as you did.

2006-05-14 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Let's see - you just educated a whole bunch of newbies to be aware of getting 'sea-sick' in an OWS.  That is something I would have never thought about.  Thanks! 

Now, when is your next race?  There is absolutely no reason for all that training not to be used in an upcoming race.  I look forward to your race report.

Thanks for sharing your experience!  You should be proud of all you have accomplished to date!

2006-05-14 6:24 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Better to DNF than DNS (did not start)
2006-05-14 7:49 PM
in reply to: #423486

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
to train and start a half ironman sounds pretty amazing to me!
You didn't finish because of a reason out of your control. Live and learn and you know what to do next time. Whilst trying to get your confidence back and practicing swim perhaps do couple of duathlons so you know you can achieve the bike and run without needing to worry about the swim first... then get right back there.

Don't you dare even think about not carrying on with your BT team!

2006-05-14 8:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Hey bro, keep your chip up. You'll get it done next time. Maybe do a couple shorter races really soon to get the old confidence back up. All the best in future racing.
2006-05-14 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

Mike -

I'm not sure what to say to make you feel better, because I don't know if I were in your situation what would make me feel better.  I know it is a big disappointment and I can't tell you how bad I feel for you that you were not able to finish and see all of your hard training work pay off when you crossed the finish line.  I know that you could have done it, and I think you do, too.  Motion sickness is a bitch.   A few months ago in an Olympic tri, I almost had the same thing happen from open water chop.  So I know how bad it can make you feel and how quickly it hits you.

I love the fact that you  have some small part of your brain already thinking about finding another HIM with better swim conditions.  I think that may be a good idea to keep yourself motivated and get out there and do your HIM.  You've trained for it and can finish - don't ever doubt that.   

I really enjoyed meeting you and you're a super nice guy.  I hope that as the days go by you can stop feeling quite as bad as you do right now and realize that you've come a long way in training and you had the guts to get out there in the first place. 

Please let us know how you are feeling in a few days and let us know when you decide to give HIM another shot so that we can root you on! 

2006-05-15 6:49 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Rogillio - 2006-05-13 9:41 PM For 5 1/2 months I trained as hard as I could. After over 1,100 miles running, biking and swimming I had built my endurance to run 13 miles and bike 56 miles. I had lost 35 lbs....

Mike - Those are your words, not mine.  I'm sure you wanted that race under your belt.  It was important to you.  But think about those around you, your family.  What do you think is more important to them?  Whether or not you finished the race or the statements that I quoted above?  We know what kind of dedication it takes to train as hard as you did and isn't there a reason they say that it's about getting to the starting line and not the finish line?  Some things are beyond your control, or part of the learning process.  This is just another step forward for you because you had to find this out before you could progress any further as a triathlete.

Good luck and keep training. 

2006-05-15 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Please don't feel like a failure! You toughed it out for a lot longer than many others would have in your situation. Sometimes unexpected things come up in a race and just throw the game plan out the window. You're certainly not the first, nor last, person that has happened to!

My advice would be to investigate some motion sickness remedies (non-drowsy dramamine? those sea band bracelet things?) and just keep at it. You've come a long way and should be very proud of yourself!

2006-05-15 8:25 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I get seasick/motion sick easily too....and YES, including on the 360 screen at Disney (the one where you're standing still, do they still have that?)   It sucks. I wish like heck I could give some solid advice as to how to overcome it.  Start looking for those lake races!  It's been said already but YOU DIDN"T FAIL.  You accomplished more than most people do just by getting to the starting line.  You won before you ever got there.  Sign up for another race, one that's soon so you can take advantage of all  your hard work.  You'll be great. 

2006-05-15 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI

Hey Mike-

thanks for sharing that story.  You thought you would finish short of being broad-sided by a semi...and that's essentially what happened.  You can't blame yourself for that.  Just find another HIM, sign up, and get back on the horse.  Like so many others have said here...the journey's the important part.  Good luck. 

2006-05-15 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
I'm sorry, that has to be the most frustrating thing ever. Rest assured, though, like any disaster it has happened to many people before. If the next available HIM is a ways off, try signing up for different races - an Olympic distance will let you test a swim of similar length, and a half-mary will use your run fitness. All your work didn't disappear just because the clutch broke.
2006-05-15 12:21 PM

User image

Regular
Seattle
Hey, Mike.

Great job doing the BEST that you could do. You trained your body and mind, you lost 35 pounds, and you gained the endurance you need to overcome anything.

So you got sick in the waves. So what? My brother's done GC twice, and says he had to swim through upchuck both times. "Open water swimming" in a lake is tough enough, but waves and seawater? Ack.

You got through the training without injury, right? And that's honestly the hardest part. You KNOW you can do the distances, so just take a breath, and find another race.

If you like Florida, there's the Great Floridian in October, which has a half-iron. The swim is in a lake, usually right at 76 degrees or so. Or, there's the "Atomic Man" in TN in September.

I know what you mean about motion sickness. I get sick on the Cat in the Hat ride at Universal. I get sick after 15 minutes just playing in the ocean, leat alone swimming in a triathlon. But, I've done just fine in 4 lake swims, including Great Floridian.

You did NOT strike out. You hit a foul pop back into the stands. Go find a race with a lake swim, and kick some tar. Then, after you feel good about that race, maybe make a return date with GCT 2007.

Good luck!
2006-05-15 12:25 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

I finished my very first tri yesterday and my heart is completely breaking for you right now.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF Rss Feed  

of 3