in reply to: #4129531

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: How did he pass class?
mr2tony - 2012-04-04 10:37 AM
trinnas - 2012-04-04 9:50 AM
TriRSquared - 2012-04-04 10:35 AM

It has nothing to do with how he'll perform as a player however to give the kid a college degree is a disgrace to all those who actually earned their degrees.

I understand that it's because of football programs that universities can have nice facilities and equipment but let's stop kidding ourselves here.  Just start paying the players to play and don't make them take classes.  It's obvious a lot of them are not anyway.

^^^ this

Disagree. He may not be a genius but he may have learned SOMETHING. Even a small amount of education is better than no eduction. He's getting paid anyway -- in scholarships.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

2012-04-04 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4128321

User image

Elite
Boise

John W. Michel, an assistant professor at Towson University who co-authored the study, told The Washington Post: "We found in no cases was cognitive ability related to [football] performance. We did find a negative relationship for tight ends and defensive backs. For defensive backs, it was the most pronounced; basically, the lower you scored on the Wonderlic, the better you performed."

From the article. This means he will be the greatest CB of all time!

2012-04-04 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4129559

User image

Champion
Chicago
Why the hate? Kudos to the kid for being good enough at something that someone is willing to pay him millions of dollars to do it. And he apparently likes it so even better. He earned his education, maintaining what the university deems a minimum grade-point average to get through his classes, and in the process probably learned a lot. It shouldn't be only the smart kids who get an education or most people probably wouldn't get an education. Not everybody can be academically gifted just like not everybody can be athletically gifted.
2012-04-04 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4129656

Master
Houston, TX
JoshR - 2012-04-04 11:19 AM

John W. Michel, an assistant professor at Towson University who co-authored the study, told The Washington Post: "We found in no cases was cognitive ability related to [football] performance. We did find a negative relationship for tight ends and defensive backs. For defensive backs, it was the most pronounced; basically, the lower you scored on the Wonderlic, the better you performed."

BAM!!!  That's 63 cents beotch!!!!!!!

2012-04-04 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4129449

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
the bear - 2012-04-04 11:05 AM

It has nothing to do with how he'll perform as a player however to give the kid a college degree is a disgrace to all those who actually earned their degrees.

I understand that it's because of football programs that universities can have nice facilities and equipment but let's stop kidding ourselves here.  Just start paying the players to play and don't make them take classes.  It's obvious a lot of them are not anyway.

^^^ this

So NOT this. Before you hurt yourself jumping to conclusions, first read the Fox Sports article linked by trisagain on the first page. Then realize that Claiborne is leaving school as a junior, so your hallowed degree is still without disgrace.

I'll admit I did not catch thew part about him leaving early.  My bad.  However my points stands.  Why is the university wasting professors' time and energy on a person who

a) is going to leave early and

b) even if he does graduate, really has no real education to speak of

2012-04-04 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4129790

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
TriRSquared - 2012-04-04 12:03 PM

^^^ this

So NOT this. Before you hurt yourself jumping to conclusions, first read the Fox Sports article linked by trisagain on the first page. Then realize that Claiborne is leaving school as a junior, so your hallowed degree is still without disgrace.

I'll admit I did not catch thew part about him leaving early.  My bad.  However my points stands.  Why is the university wasting professors' time and energy on a person who

What if it is a regular student who is there and leaves early?  Is that still a waste of the university's time and money?

2012-04-04 12:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-04 12:25 PM

Pro
Twin Cities
However my points stands.  Why is the university wasting professors' time and energy on a person who

Did you mean to use a pink font? You realize that the attrition rate at major universities is pretty high, and there are LOTS of people for whom those statements apply. Why should a professor waste ANY time on ANY student? Should we just line them up before they even get in and decide who gets taught and who has to go home b/c they might leave early? How do you know these athletes aren't getting an education at all? That's a pretty broad statement.

And all that aside (the whole bit about providing education to folks and all, for the sake of educating them/mission of outreach blah blah blah), one other reason Universities "waste" time and energy on student athletes (esp. ones like big-name NFL potential football folks) is because those people bring in sh1ttons of money. Not just in terms of gate receipts for the game, but alumni dollars.

2012-04-04 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4129656

Champion
Philly 'burbs
JoshR - 2012-04-04 12:19 PM

And maybe he's smart enough to know that NFL teams are probably aware of this study and they may be looking for a very athletic DB who scored poorly on the test. 

2012-04-04 12:54 PM

Regular
Norman

mrbbrad - 2012-04-04 9:35 AM

He got 4 out of 50. Maybe he did get those questions right. And some don't pass their classes. Many don't graduate. So what? What's the point? I see what looks like track and field in your profile pic. Do you think colleges would have money for good track and field programs if it weren't for the major sports bringing in lots of money? I'm not saying it's right, but it's the system the NCAA has built.

Where I ran track actually doesn’t have a football program, but they did decide last year to create one. They had a new track built by donations from alumni and they still do great at nationals every year. I will agree at large universities like LSU even though they make lots of money off meets like LSU Relay and hosting high school meets, they still take some money from the football program.

If he does actually have a learning disability, which is not listed in the fox article, I sort of feel bad for bringing this up though there are others in the same boat without disabilities. As for him being a bad athlete, no a corner back needs to be able to make some reads and know how to cover, which he has done a phenomenal job at in college. Congrats to him because he will make more money playing football than most of us will in our lives. A lot of these guys actually go back and finish college during the off season or once they retire, but then a lot of them also go bankrupt within 10 years of ending their career..

2012-04-04 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4129860

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
wgraves7582 - 2012-04-04 1:24 PM
TriRSquared - 2012-04-04 1:03 PM

^^^ this

Wow - you guys are special I guess. 

Glad everyone isn't born as robots as you would like them to be.  Some people are smart, some people are fast, some people are smart and fast.  He would have skipped college and gone right to the NFL if the NFL allowed it like the NBA and MLB and NHL do.

Better consider yourselves lucky that you were born with normal brain function and not any type of disability or else we would just put you in the poverty line at birth and had nothing to do with you.

The University does it for the $$$$$.  No one pays to sit down and watch smart people talk to each other - well at least as much as they pay to watch football games on Saturday in the fall.  Ever hear of the word Karma?

I am sorry but not everyone belongs in college, like it or not a lot of people just are not smart enough.  This has led to dumbing down and reduced standards of education across the board.  That does not mean you get thrown under the bus but it does mean that college may not be for you.  Good on the guy for having talent and the discipline to fully develop that talent.  Does he deserve a spot in the NFL I cannot speak to but if you cannot answer such simple questions it is questionable that you deserve a college diploma.  Yes since he is leaving early that becomes a moot point in his case.

2012-04-04 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4129969

Champion
Chicago
trinnas - 2012-04-04 1:07 PM

^^^ this

Glad everyone isn't born as robots as you would like them to be.  Some people are smart, some people are fast, some people are smart and fast.  He would have skipped college and gone right to the NFL if the NFL allowed it like the NBA and MLB and NHL do.

Better consider yourselves lucky that you were born with normal brain function and not any type of disability or else we would just put you in the poverty line at birth and had nothing to do with you.

The University does it for the $$$$$.  No one pays to sit down and watch smart people talk to each other - well at least as much as they pay to watch football games on Saturday in the fall.  Ever hear of the word Karma?

I am sorry but not everyone belongs in college, like it or not a lot of people just are not smart enough.  This has led to dumbing down and reduced standards of education across the board.  That does not mean you get thrown under the bus but it does mean that college may not be for you.  Good on the guy for having talent and the discipline to fully develop that talent.  Does he deserve a spot in the NFL I cannot speak to but if you cannot answer such simple questions it is questionable that you deserve a college diploma.  Yes since he is leaving early that becomes a moot point in his case.

Hmm so you think only smart people belong in college?

So you would then agree that only the athletically gifted should be allowed to do run races and triathlons?

Allow me to rewrite your statement using triathlon instead of education and see if I sound rude and elitist:

I am sorry but not everyone belongs in triathlon, like it or not a lot of people just are not fast enough. This has led to slowing down and reduced standards of acceptance into races across the board. That does not mean you get thrown under the bus but it does mean that triathlons may not be for you. Good on the guy for having talent and the discipline to fully develop that talent. Does he deserve a spot in Kona I cannot speak to but if you cannot run a marathon in less than 3 hours it is questionable that you deserve to do a triathlon.

Yep. I sound elitist.

Edited by mr2tony 2012-04-04 1:33 PM
2012-04-04 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4130037

Champion
mr2tony - 2012-04-04 2:29 PM

^^^ this

Hmm so you think only smart people belong in college? So you would then agree that only the athletically gifted should be allowed to do run races and triathlons? Allow me to rewrite your statement using triathlon instead of education and see if I sound rude and elitist: I am sorry but not everyone belongs in triathlon, like it or not a lot of people just are not fast enough. This has led to slowing down and reduced standards of acceptance into races across the board. That does not mean you get thrown under the bus but it does mean that triathlons may not be for you. Good on the guy for having talent and the discipline to fully develop that talent. Does he deserve a spot in Kona I cannot speak to but if you cannot run a marathon in less than 3 hours it is questionable that you deserve to do a triathlon. Yep. I sound elitist.

And all of that is the case for Pro triathletes is it not.

Edited by trinnas 2012-04-04 1:39 PM
2012-04-04 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4130059

Champion
Chicago
trinnas - 2012-04-04 1:37 PM

^^^ this

Hmm so you think only smart people belong in college? So you would then agree that only the athletically gifted should be allowed to do run races and triathlons? Allow me to rewrite your statement using triathlon instead of education and see if I sound rude and elitist: I am sorry but not everyone belongs in triathlon, like it or not a lot of people just are not fast enough. This has led to slowing down and reduced standards of acceptance into races across the board. That does not mean you get thrown under the bus but it does mean that triathlons may not be for you. Good on the guy for having talent and the discipline to fully develop that talent. Does he deserve a spot in Kona I cannot speak to but if you cannot run a marathon in less than 3 hours it is questionable that you deserve to do a triathlon. Yep. I sound elitist.

What's that have to do with the price of tea in China?

What I'm saying is that everybody should be given a chance to attempt college just like everybody should be given a chance to attempt a triathlon. If you work and try hard enough, you'll do just fine. You may not be the fastest in the race or the smartest in the class, but by goodness if you give it 100 percent you sure belong there just as much as the next guy. Sounds like he did everything in his power to pass his classes and make his grades while he was there. Don't hate because he's going on to make millions yet isn't very intelligent, be happy that he literally gave it `the ol' college try!'
2012-04-04 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4130079

Champion
mr2tony - 2012-04-04 2:41 PM
trinnas - 2012-04-04 1:37 PM

^^^ this

What's that have to do with the price of tea in China? What I'm saying is that everybody should be given a chance to attempt college just like everybody should be given a chance to attempt a triathlon. If you work and try hard enough, you'll do just fine. You may not be the fastest in the race or the smartest in the class, but by goodness if you give it 100 percent you sure belong there just as much as the next guy. Sounds like he did everything in his power to pass his classes and make his grades while he was there. Don't hate because he's going on to make millions yet isn't very intelligent, be happy that he literally gave it `the ol' college try!'

No I am sorry college is more like the Kona or the Boston marathon you have to have qualifying score to join regardless of how you do in the end.  If you cannot meet a certain level of proficiency you do not get in period.  If you want to go to community college or prep-academies to attain that minimum level of proficiency then by all means go for it.  Just like anyone can get into IMFL in the hopes of qualifying to go to Kona.

Edited by trinnas 2012-04-04 1:47 PM
2012-04-04 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4130093

Champion
SoCal
trinnas - 2012-04-04 11:47 AM

No I am sorry college is more like the Kona or the Boston marathon you have to have qualifying score to join regardless of how you do in the end.  If you cannot meet a certain level of proficiency you do not get in period.  If you want to go to community college or prep-academies to attain that minimum level of proficiency then by all means go for it.  Just like anyone can get into IMFL in the hopes of qualifying to go to Kona.

Disagree.

2012-04-04 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4130108

Champion
Chicago

Which is why he went to the tutors, to be able to qualify to go to college, to get a passing SAT or ACT score and a minimum GPA. I really don't see the problem here.
2012-04-04 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4130128

Champion
mr2tony - 2012-04-04 2:57 PM

Which is why he went to the tutors, to be able to qualify to go to college, to get a passing SAT or ACT score and a minimum GPA. I really don't see the problem here.

If he was able to meet the same standards as those who were star football players you are correct there is likely no issue.  If he is unable to answer those types of questions in a timely fashion such that he at least break double digits on the test the likelihood of that being the case is somewhat diminished.

2012-04-04 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4130108

Champion
Big Appa - 2012-04-04 2:52 PM

Disagree.

One of the things I dislike about you Cord... your propensity to be overly verbose. 

2012-04-04 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4129865

Champion
SRQ, FL
mmrocker13 - 2012-04-04 1:25 PM
However my points stands.  Why is the university wasting professors' time and energy on a person who

Did you mean to use a pink font? You realize that the attrition rate at major universities is pretty high, and there are LOTS of people for whom those statements apply. Why should a professor waste ANY time on ANY student? Should we just line them up before they even get in and decide who gets taught and who has to go home b/c they might leave early? How do you know these athletes aren't getting an education at all? That's a pretty broad statement.

And all that aside (the whole bit about providing education to folks and all, for the sake of educating them/mission of outreach blah blah blah), one other reason Universities "waste" time and energy on student athletes (esp. ones like big-name NFL potential football folks) is because those people bring in sh1ttons of money. Not just in terms of gate receipts for the game, but alumni dollars.

No pink font intended but I do think I need to explain a bit more.

This kid did not go to college with the intent on getting an education.  The education was a hurdle he had to get past while he played football.  An education was not the goal.

I do not begrudge or belittle anyone who go to school and for whatever reason cannot afford or hack it.  Those people are there trying to get an education and for whatever reason they were not able to.  I respect that.  That's not what happened here.

If the education were the goal he's stay in and finish.

I spent a fair bit of time with some of the UF football players while I was there.  The top players were skimming by with the most pathetic amount of work.  Most would tell you outright that their classes were a joke.  As for the money they bring in I already addressed that.

Edited by TriRSquared 2012-04-04 2:27 PM
2012-04-04 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4130208

Champion
Philly 'burbs
TriRSquared - 2012-04-04 3:24 PM
mmrocker13 - 2012-04-04 1:25 PM

No pink font intended but I do think I need to explain a bit more.

This kid did not go to college with the intent on getting an education.  The education was a hurdle he had to get past while he played football.  An education was not the goal.

I do not begrudge or belittle anyone who go to school and for whatever reason cannot afford or hack it.  Those people are there trying to get an education and for whatever reason they were not able to.  I respect that.  That's not what happened here.

I spent a fair bit of time with some of the UF football players while I was there.  The top players were skimming by with the most pathetic amount of work.  Most would tell you outright that their classes were a joke.  As for the money they bring in I already addressed that.

Hang on there a second. Let's look at this from bigger perspective. Why do most people go to college? What's the real motivator? A job. Get a degree = get a job. For some, do well in college athletics = get a job. If a science major was offered a multi-million dollar a year science job but had to leave school before graduating do you really think they'd stay in school? 

2012-04-04 2:58 PM

over a barrier
Lets see you have 50 questions and you get 12 mins.

You get 14 1/2 seconds to answer each question. I can understand how a person with a learning disability would struggle with such a test.

14.5 secs to read the question, probably reread, and do your math or work through the reasoning.

The test means nothing regarding how smart a kid is, is how fast you can you process the information.

2012-04-04 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4130208

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
TriRSquared - 2012-04-04 2:24 PM 

So you have to stay and complete a degree in order to learn anything? Lots and lots and lots of people are gonna disagree with that one.

2012-04-04 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4128615

Elite
jacasa - 2012-04-03 11:08 PM
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-04-03 10:06 PM

Seriously, the Wonderlic's a joke.  I would love to see a legitimate scientific study comparing Wonderlic results with results on the field...taking into account draft position, etc.  I have nothing to back it up, but my guess is that higher Wonderlic scores would have little to no correlation with performance on the field.  

I'd take Claiborne in the Top 10 without blinking an eye.  The guy's a stud.

Dan Patrick made a great point...players are going to start boycotting the test.  Why take it?  

Dan Marino=16.  Terry Bradshaw=15.  A.J. Green=10.  (I'd have drafted all three)  

btw, Marino was the 6th QB drafted in 1983...makes ya wonder if other teams were put off by his low Wonderlic.  (sure, Elway and Kelly were excellent QBs, but Blackledge, Eason, and O'Brien, not so much)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you are an LSU fan? Seriously? The dude scored a 4 out of 50. I think you get a few points for putting your name on the paper. Have you read the questions? Why is it a joke?

I love my purple and yellow, but no, I'm not an LSU fan...I love the Minnesota Vikings.                          I consider the test a joke for a lot of the reasons put forth already.  When I'm looking to draft a player, how they perform on a standardized written exam is irrelevant.  I wonder how Dexter Manley scored...I remember reading the man was illiterate.  Heck of a defensive end, eh?

If I'm a general manager, I am looking at talent, personality, character, etc., and I'd be trying to get good value in all those categories...how would they fit my team's system?  are they hard workers?  are they "me" guys or are they team players?  do they have "leadership" potential in the locker room?  if not, will they follow the example of the team's leaders?  have they demonstrated they can excel in my team's system?  

A standardized, written exam like the Wonderlic is worthless in my opinion.  I'd much rather invest in a psychosocial exam conducted by trained professionals...perhaps guys like Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, and Tony Mandarich could have been spotted b4 they were drafted so highly.

Every year, there are a bunch of Ivy leaguers that come close to acing the Wonderlic...they're not exactly comprising a majority of NFL All-Pros.

2012-04-04 10:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
When I was in grad school I tutored football players (I also made use of athletic department tutors when I was an undergrad swimming. They made a world of difference ESP when I had to miss engineering classes for meets.)I met some of the nicest kids ever tutoring. There were kids who definitely were not the average admissions candidate who 20 hours a week got the crap kicked out of them and had to perform at an average level to keep playing. I did voluntary tutoring and could not keep up with the requests. It is hard to keep up with your classes and play sports at that level. Some of the kids I tutored went on to the NFL and lots got degrees. I have a ton of respect for all of them for working their butts off. They worked hard to get to their dreams. I loved that job!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How did he pass class? Rss Feed  

of 3