Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Triathlon Dating Thread Ver 3.0 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2013-04-28 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4703779

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Triathlon Dating Thread Ver 3.0
I'm sure most guys could say I would be gorgeous if I lost 20 pounds (well, my coach and tri books say that's my race weight) but it would help if I had someone to help me stay healthier in regards to food.Maybe ask him to do something physically challenging? He maybe just needs a positive role model-yourself.

2013-04-28 6:42 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal

Catching up on dating life....Met up with one guy for coffee and all he did was talk about himself and the investment property his dad gave him.  The only question he asked me was "do you file quarterly taxes?"....he's not even an accountant!  Had a good date last Sunday, we will see what happens there.  Last night's date, nice guy but he was too low energy for me.  Another first date tonight, one tomorrow, another on Thursday.  

Have also started hanging out with a guy from Masters swimming, but I think it's just a friendship thing....although we went for brunch yesterday and he opened the car door for me....

On the positive side, my body finally dropped 3 pounds and my abs are starting to show lol  I did a 2 week de-tox, tough to date and de-tox!

2013-04-28 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4713368

User image

Kido - 2013-04-24 12:15 PM

Miss Manners needs to write a texting/smartphone etiquette book, IMO.

How about Emily Post:

http://www.emilypost.com/home-and-family-life/133-college-and-beyon...
2013-04-29 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)

Single again...

Girlfriend has been distant recently due to a super-heavy workload.  The rare time we did spend together, was either to go to church, go for a run, or sit in her kitchen and do some work together at the table.  She had a bit of a break and was going to Palm Springs with some of her friends to hike Joshua Tree and invited me to come.  Despite her growing distant, she said she really wanted me to come because we needed time to catch up.

From the instant I arrived at the hotel (she got in a few hours earlier) she just seemed in another world.  Would hardly talk to me and would pull away when I tried to hold her hand or anything.  Fine, she's really really tired.  The next morning after breakfast, we went to the park as a group.  Same thing.  I couldn't figure out what was going on, but seemed like everyone else was in on it.

Later that afternoon when we had some time alone, I asked her if we were okay.  She explained that work was draining her, that she had no feelings towards me.  (background, is that we'be been friends for several years and were kind of trying the dating thing...for the 2nd time).   I said I wanted to preserve our friendship above all else and asked if she wanted to forget the idea of dating.  She said no because once she got past this time she was hoping the feelings would return.  Against my better judgement, I said that's okay.  Really did see a future with her and was willing to sacrifice a few months for the long-term.  I felt silly coming all the way from Chicago to Palm Springs to spend the weekend getting the cold shoulder.  I felt like an intrusion and said it might be best if I just caught a flight home Saturday instead of waiting until Sunday.  She said nonsense and that dinner would be fun.  After our talk, we went down to the pool and she was giving me some details on her work and research to help me understand what she was doing.

Dinner was not fun.  It was like a switch was flipped and everything I said was wrong.  I realized she was being fueled by her friends, but too late.  I don't drink very much (and never anything stronger than beer).  But wine sounded like a good idea.  I had about 2 glasses, then switched and had a glass of beer.  Her and her friends started pushing my buttons.  In hindsight, I feel this was a setup of some sort.  I don't want to believe that, but it sure felt that way.  Eventually, I'd had enough, gave her money to cover my meal and drinks and went back to the hotel wishing I'd never come.  I woke the next morning to a farewell note.  Said I was childish by leaving dinner.  This a mere few hours after having her tell me she no longer felt anything towards me.  I think she felt guilty breaking up with me and needed me to be the bad guy to justify it.  If that's the case, I walked right into it.  Or maybe subconsciously, I really was the bad guy to free her.  I don't know.  

But as funny as this sounds, I was confused when I read the note, but not upset.  I think I had already come to terms that it was over, but was willing to giver her time to figure out what she wanted.  I felt a very negative and heavy weight pulled off my shoulders.  As she became more and more stressed, she became more angry (and sometimes just plain mean).  The negative entry was almost too much to handle and the good I saw in her was disappearing week by week.  So in the end, it's a good thing.  I'm not happy that it happened like this (she lives 3 blocks away, so I didn't need to come to California for her to play her games).  I went through the stages of grief surprisingly fast and by the time I got in the car, I was feeling pretty good and relieved.  As much as it hurt to have her literally throw me away like this, I was pleased to learn early enough who she really is on the inside and was able to get out scar-free without any baggage.

Having said that, it's time to focus on me for a little bit and work on being the best version of me possible.

2013-04-29 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4718573

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
julio26pt2 - 2013-04-29 8:04 AM

I woke the next morning to a farewell note.  

Dude you and me both! What's up with farewell notes?

2013-04-29 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Well...... I might as well jump in! The dating pool that is! Ended a relationship first of year and took a four month break, just put time in my kids, job and self. I guess spring is in air and I am wanting to get out and enjoy. Don't have any real prospects as of yet. My hair dresser is very flirty, but I don't know if I want to take chance of having to find a new one if things don't work out.

Question for the ladies: How do you feel being approached by a complete stranger? Unless it was in bar, social event or other place that one goes to meet someone, I have never been one to walk up to a female that is completely unknown to me and strike up conversation and ask for number etc, but I have a buddy that does this all the time or he gives them his card. He looks for signs of commitment, like a ring on left hand, or if she is with another guy, if signs are not there he will chat her up. He does this in random places, places where people that could not have anything in common might be i.e. grocery store, restaurant, etc. I will talk to people I dont know all the time but have a problem asking for number. Since I am starting to date again I guess I need to be better at picking up signs that someone is open to being approached.

2013-04-29 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4718573

User image

Elite
julio26pt2 - 2013-04-29 8:04 AM

Single again...

Girlfriend has been distant recently due to a super-heavy workload.  The rare time we did spend together, was either to go to church, go for a run, or sit in her kitchen and do some work together at the table.  She had a bit of a break and was going to Palm Springs with some of her friends to hike Joshua Tree and invited me to come.  Despite her growing distant, she said she really wanted me to come because we needed time to catch up.

From the instant I arrived at the hotel (she got in a few hours earlier) she just seemed in another world.  Would hardly talk to me and would pull away when I tried to hold her hand or anything.  Fine, she's really really tired.  The next morning after breakfast, we went to the park as a group.  Same thing.  I couldn't figure out what was going on, but seemed like everyone else was in on it.

Later that afternoon when we had some time alone, I asked her if we were okay.  She explained that work was draining her, that she had no feelings towards me.  (background, is that we'be been friends for several years and were kind of trying the dating thing...for the 2nd time).   I said I wanted to preserve our friendship above all else and asked if she wanted to forget the idea of dating.  She said no because once she got past this time she was hoping the feelings would return.  Against my better judgement, I said that's okay.  Really did see a future with her and was willing to sacrifice a few months for the long-term.  I felt silly coming all the way from Chicago to Palm Springs to spend the weekend getting the cold shoulder.  I felt like an intrusion and said it might be best if I just caught a flight home Saturday instead of waiting until Sunday.  She said nonsense and that dinner would be fun.  After our talk, we went down to the pool and she was giving me some details on her work and research to help me understand what she was doing.

Dinner was not fun.  It was like a switch was flipped and everything I said was wrong.  I realized she was being fueled by her friends, but too late.  I don't drink very much (and never anything stronger than beer).  But wine sounded like a good idea.  I had about 2 glasses, then switched and had a glass of beer.  Her and her friends started pushing my buttons.  In hindsight, I feel this was a setup of some sort.  I don't want to believe that, but it sure felt that way.  Eventually, I'd had enough, gave her money to cover my meal and drinks and went back to the hotel wishing I'd never come.  I woke the next morning to a farewell note.  Said I was childish by leaving dinner.  This a mere few hours after having her tell me she no longer felt anything towards me.  I think she felt guilty breaking up with me and needed me to be the bad guy to justify it.  If that's the case, I walked right into it.  Or maybe subconsciously, I really was the bad guy to free her.  I don't know.  

But as funny as this sounds, I was confused when I read the note, but not upset.  I think I had already come to terms that it was over, but was willing to giver her time to figure out what she wanted.  I felt a very negative and heavy weight pulled off my shoulders.  As she became more and more stressed, she became more angry (and sometimes just plain mean).  The negative entry was almost too much to handle and the good I saw in her was disappearing week by week.  So in the end, it's a good thing.  I'm not happy that it happened like this (she lives 3 blocks away, so I didn't need to come to California for her to play her games).  I went through the stages of grief surprisingly fast and by the time I got in the car, I was feeling pretty good and relieved.  As much as it hurt to have her literally throw me away like this, I was pleased to learn early enough who she really is on the inside and was able to get out scar-free without any baggage.

Having said that, it's time to focus on me for a little bit and work on being the best version of me possible.

was it on a post it?

Seriously though, that is a scheme that was used against me once.  Pick fights till you over react, and then you're the bad guy. Not mature at all.  And really crummy that she was trying to play both sides with you.

2013-04-29 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4719093

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

turtlegirl - 2013-04-29 12:42 PM

was it on a post it?

Seriously though, that is a scheme that was used against me once.  Pick fights till you over react, and then you're the bad guy. Not mature at all.  And really crummy that she was trying to play both sides with you.

he's a dude - he doesn't know that reference!!!

2013-04-29 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4719084

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

dixrp - 2013-04-29 11:39 AM

Question for the ladies: How do you feel being approached by a complete stranger? Unless it was in bar, social event or other place that one goes to meet someone, I have never been one to walk up to a female that is completely unknown to me and strike up conversation and ask for number etc, but I have a buddy that does this all the time or he gives them his card. He looks for signs of commitment, like a ring on left hand, or if she is with another guy, if signs are not there he will chat her up. He does this in random places, places where people that could not have anything in common might be i.e. grocery store, restaurant, etc. I will talk to people I dont know all the time but have a problem asking for number. Since I am starting to date again I guess I need to be better at picking up signs that someone is open to being approached.

As long as it doesn't come off as creepy/stalkerish, like hey I've been hanging out in the produce section all day waiting for you - kind of thing - that's questionable. If you're genuine and sincere and not pushy I think it would be refreshing to be approached.

2013-04-29 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4719111

User image

Elite
mehaner - 2013-04-29 11:49 AM

was it on a post it?

Sex in the City should be required viewing for all men. They'd understand women a lot better.

2013-04-29 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Wilmington
Whatever happened to the classic " Its not you its me " spiel or the " I love you but I am not in love with you and I think we should break it off and move on" Works for me everytime.

2013-04-29 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4719135

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Teejaay 2013-04-29 12:30 PM
2013-04-29 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4719111

Saint Paul, MN

was it on a post it?

I am a dude and I knew the reference. Berger, right?

Edited by jlruhnke 2013-04-29 12:28 PM
2013-04-29 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4719165

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-29 1:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

@Julio - Sorry that happened, man.  That's rough.  My longest relationship was ended mostly due to her being influenced by her friends.  It's unfortunate that she felt the need to drag you out of town to do it though.

@dixrp re: approaching women - Confidence is key! Have an idea of what you want to talk about before you approach them.  If you freeze within the first few seconds, then it's over already.  Like Teejaay said, look for indicators of interest.  Honestly if this is someone who you met in passing at a grocery store, restaurant, etc. then you can probably talk to them just long enough for them to show interest.  Once you get to that point, ask for her number and then move on once you get it.  No need to get into a 30 min conversation to make this happen.

I secretly believe that a woman decides within 5-10 seconds whether or not she is willing to give you her number.

Edited by msteiner 2013-04-29 1:03 PM
2013-04-29 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4719198

Elite
jlruhnke - 2013-04-29 12:27 PM

was it on a post it?

I am a dude and I knew the reference. Berger, right?

Well done. Slow clap for you.

2013-04-29 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4719273

Regular
LHOTP
msteiner - 2013-04-29 1:00 PM

@Julio - Sorry that happened, man.  That's rough.  My longest relationship was ended mostly due to her being influenced by her friends.  It's unfortunate that she felt the need to drag you out of town to do it though.

@dixrp re: approaching women - Confidence is key! Have an idea of what you want to talk about before you approach them.  If you freeze within the first few seconds, then it's over already.  Like Teejaay said, look for indicators of interest.  Honestly if this is someone who you met in passing at a grocery store, restaurant, etc. then you can probably talk to them just long enough for them to show interest.  Once you get to that point, ask for her number and then move on once you get it.  No need to get into a 30 min conversation to make this happen.

I secretly believe that a woman decides within 5-10 seconds whether or not she is willing to give you her number.

I think that might be generous;)

+1 on being confident, and there is a big difference between cocky and confident.  It's also important to be genuinely interested and not a dude who rolls through on a mission to chat up and number rack. Women worth your time can tell the difference.

2013-04-29 7:36 PM

Expert
metro west, MA
Julio- ugh! Sorry about that. Curious, how old is she?

My date tonight, the one that rescheduled from Fri, rescheduled on me again! Til a week from Thurs! Valid reasons but very annoying when juggling a sitter. Probably forget about him by then. Lol.

Re the possible incompatible kisser: not closing the door on him yet. Too many positives and there are other reasons why it might not have gone better. I see him again on Fri.

Edited by mighty mom 2013-04-29 7:41 PM

2013-04-29 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4719923

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
mighty mom - 2013-04-29 7:36 PM Julio- ugh! Sorry about that. Curious, how old is she?

My date tonight, the one that rescheduled from Fri, rescheduled on me again! Til a week from Thurs! Valid reasons but very annoying when juggling a sitter. Probably forget about him by then. Lol.

Re the possible incompatible kisser: not closing the door on him yet. Too many positives and there are other reasons why it might not have gone better. I see him again on Fri.

Good luck tonight!!!!!

Give feedback on the kissing in a polite and fun way.  That was another thing about ExGirlfriend.  She was a horrible kisser and I never spoke up.

2013-05-02 10:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
The thread is sitting on the edge of falling off.  Back to the top!  Anyone got plans this weekend?
2013-05-02 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4723997

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

msteiner - 2013-05-02 10:35 AM The thread is sitting on the edge of falling off.  Back to the top!  Anyone got plans this weekend?

Bowtie Boy is making me dinner tonight, and we're going to another charity event Saturday night. Can't wait to learn more about him..!

2013-05-02 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4724024

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
lisac957 - 2013-05-02 10:45 AM

msteiner - 2013-05-02 10:35 AM The thread is sitting on the edge of falling off.  Back to the top!  Anyone got plans this weekend?

Bowtie Boy is making me dinner tonight, and we're going to another charity event Saturday night. Can't wait to learn more about him..!

Nice! 

As an update on my end, Kickball girl is watching Ironman 3 with me this weekend.  I'm excited that summer blockbuster season is starting up.  Between triathlon and movies, late spring and summer is definitely my favorite time of the year.

2013-05-02 12:18 PM

Elite

currently am sick Cry sore throat, cold, and allergies is no fun. 

Trying to get better for a century on Saturday with a Derby party and Cinco de Mayo party that night, plus marathon training program Sunday am, hunter pace with the horse Sunday afternoon, and a party for a friend Sunday night.

So I better get healthy, its a busy weekend ahead!

2013-05-02 12:47 PM

Saint Paul, MN

No big plans, my parents are going to be in town.

2013-05-02 12:50 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

msteiner - 2013-05-02 9:35 AM The thread is sitting on the edge of falling off.  Back to the top!  Anyone got plans this weekend?

Meeting the kids of the girl I'm dating.  Should be fun!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Triathlon Dating Thread Ver 3.0 Rss Feed  

of 11