Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Things lots of people like... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-06-03 11:16 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Things lots of people like...
I didn't read them all but...

The "big" professional sports & athletes - pro football, basketball, etc. The vast majority of the dudes look and act like overpaid, uneducated criminals. I don't see many contributing anything to society after they retire. And I'm floored at the amount of money fans pay to support the industry.

Now...I KNOW almost everyone here will disagree, and that's OK. I'm just adding my 2 cents.

I also dislike:
- capri pants
- coach bags
- raw carrots
- fruit or nuts in chocolate

2013-06-03 11:25 AM
in reply to: SpottedCow

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by SpottedCow

I didn't read them all but...

The "big" professional sports & athletes - pro football, basketball, etc. The vast majority of the dudes look and act like overpaid, uneducated criminals. I don't see many contributing anything to society after they retire. And I'm floored at the amount of money fans pay to support the industry.

Now...I KNOW almost everyone here will disagree, and that's OK. I'm just adding my 2 cents.

I also dislike:
- capri pants
- coach bags
- raw carrots
- fruit or nuts in chocolate

Vast majority?
2013-06-03 11:27 AM

User image

Pro
1. Hipsters. My pet peeve living in the city.
2. Starbucks. Their coffee tastes burnt to me.
3. Anything with the consistency or texture of pudding. Especially rice pudding. Just looking at it makes me thing of a bowl of maggots. Oatmeal is OK though.
4. All reality TV. Also any discussion about celebrities personal lives.

2013-06-03 11:36 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by mr2tony

And people who do ironman races and then remind you constantly that they did an ironman. Know what I'm saying, BradleyD?

Did someone mention Ironman? I did an Ironman. Ironman Texas to be exact.

2013-06-03 11:46 AM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by bradleyd3

And people who do ironman races and then remind you constantly that they did an ironman. Know what I'm saying, BradleyD?

Did someone mention Ironman? I did an Ironman. Ironman Texas to be exact.

My brother in law did an ironman once. I think it was a 5k. I tell him he's crazy all the time. He's going to give himself a heart attack. You going to eat that?
2013-06-03 11:48 AM
in reply to: kgore

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Originally posted by kgore

the interest in the private lives of celebrities 

x2;

pretty much any movie starring Will Ferrell (except Stranger than Fiction);

coffee;

NASCAR.

2013-06-03 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4760413

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
I appreciate this thread...it swayed my indecisiveness about having a baby shower. I don't really want to but felt like I should. It confirmed my idea to have a baby party/open house-BBQ type deal...One reason I didn't want to was because I didn't want people to "have" to buy gifts. If they want to - great! But I don't want them to feel obligated!!

And because I'm the whiney pregnant lady...Dave said "you wanted this..." No, I didn't want to be pregnant!! I wanted to have a kid of our own...NOT be pregnant! (Adoption is expensive!! Sadly...)

Things I dislike...
Olives (everyone else in the house loves them - fine...I just think they're blech!!!)
Dry and/or oaky wines
+ 1 Watching sports on TV. I think the Superbowl is about the only thing I try to watch.
Dogs off leash- outside an enclosed area (IMO leashes protect the dogs as much as they protect others from my dogs)
2013-06-03 12:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-03 12:30 PM
in reply to: Teejaay

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I was reminded of this thread over the weekend when I attended a Couples Shower. I'd never been to one but it was the most mind-numbingly boring thing I think I've attended recently. All though I was impressed that the hostess successfully served (and I mean SERVED guests salad, dinner,dessert, re-filled water/wine, etc.) 30 guests dinner in her home. 

Related--- 

When engaged couples register for items that are just outlandishly priced. For example at this shower - gifts from other couples were ONE COFFEE MUG. TWO FORKS. ANOTHER SINGLE COFFEE MUG. Their place settings were so expensive that they are getting one mug at a time. Personal preference and such, but it blows my mind.

2013-06-03 12:33 PM

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Teejaay

Originally posted by SpottedCow I didn't read them all but... The "big" professional sports & athletes - pro football, basketball, etc. The vast majority of the dudes look and act like overpaid, uneducated criminals. I don't see many contributing anything to society after they retire. And I'm floored at the amount of money fans pay to support the industry. Now...I KNOW almost everyone here will disagree, and that's OK. I'm just adding my 2 cents. I also dislike: - capri pants - coach bags - raw carrots - fruit or nuts in chocolate

I agree 100% on the sports and athletes. 

However ... I am currently wearing capri yoga pants and I have a Coach bag (it was a gift). 

The vast majority?
2013-06-03 12:39 PM

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by Teejaay

Originally posted by SpottedCow I didn't read them all but... The "big" professional sports & athletes - pro football, basketball, etc. The vast majority of the dudes look and act like overpaid, uneducated criminals. I don't see many contributing anything to society after they retire. And I'm floored at the amount of money fans pay to support the industry. Now...I KNOW almost everyone here will disagree, and that's OK. I'm just adding my 2 cents. I also dislike: - capri pants - coach bags - raw carrots - fruit or nuts in chocolate

I agree 100% on the sports and athletes. 

However ... I am currently wearing capri yoga pants and I have a Coach bag (it was a gift). 

I guess I'm even MORE offended by the overpaid, uneducated, spoiled brats that are "reality" stars.  Kim Kardashian, the Jersy shors clan, Paris Hilton.

At least professional athelets are in the top 0.1 percent of the world at what they do, and more of them probably have foundations or other ways to contribute...

The rest of reality TV stars getting paid millions?  Blech.

2013-06-03 1:01 PM
in reply to: Kido

Master
Livonia, MI

Fun thread!  Okay, x whatever to:

Nickelback

New car smell

Country music

Avacado

Mayo--NASTY, NASTINESS!

Onions

Laying on a beach doing nothing

Golf

NASCAR

Handbags

And might I add......

Brad Pitt

J. Lo

The dislike of chocolate and peanut butter is incomprehensible to me!  By the way, what are Tom's shoes?  Never heard of them.  But I'm not a big fan of designer shoes so that can just go on the list too.

2013-06-03 1:06 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by noelle1230

By the way, what are Tom's shoes?  Never heard of them.  But I'm not a big fan of designer shoes so that can just go on the list too.

2013-06-03 1:13 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by lisac957

By the way, what are Tom's shoes?  Never heard of them.  But I'm not a big fan of designer shoes so that can just go on the list too.

Eeewwww.  Yes, toss them on the list!

2013-06-03 2:19 PM

Champion
Chicago

Nickelback

New car smell

Country music

Avacado

Mayo--NASTY, NASTINESS!

Onions

Golf

NASCAR

Handbags

And might I add......

Brad Pitt

J. Lo

The dislike of chocolate and peanut butter is incomprehensible to me!  By the way, what are Tom's shoes?  Never heard of them.  But I'm not a big fan of designer shoes so that can just go on the list too.

You dislike laying on the beach doing nothing!? That's one of my favorite activities, as long as there's warm sunshine and a rum-based beverage nearby.
2013-06-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: switch

Expert
Broadlands

I may get shot for some of this:

1. American Bacon. When you've grown up eating British or Irish Bacon, the streaks of fat served in the US just don't work. 

2. Cheese  - more to the point, the volume of cheese peddled here, grated (nasty cheap) cheese on everything, melted cheese, cheese in a can, cheese on breakfast, lunch, dinner etc etc.  (I really enjoy a nice Stilton, or Gorgonzola or a smoked Gouda, maybe feta on a salad or shaved Parmesan or a n Irish Cheddar).

3. x whatever on PB&J sandwich - don't get it at all. (yes I have tried it)

4. Politicians in general (couple of good ones don't make up for the rest)

5. "The Grapevine" or Gossip - just doesn't do anyone any good to gossip

6. Reality TV - can not stand it!

The first three make it sound like I'm bashing America Innocent don't mean to, I actually love this country and the list of things I enjoy far outweighs the negatives.

2013-06-03 2:27 PM
in reply to: 0

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by dewybuck

1. American Bacon. When you've grown up eating British or Irish Bacon, the streaks of fat served in the US just don't work. 

2. Cheese  - more to the point, the volume of cheese peddled here, grated (nasty cheap) cheese on everything, melted cheese, cheese in a can, cheese on breakfast, lunch, dinner etc etc.  (I really enjoy a nice Stilton, or Gorgonzola or a smoked Gouda, maybe feta on a salad or shaved Parmesan or a n Irish Cheddar).

The first three make it sound like I'm bashing America Innocent don't mean to, I actually love this country and the list of things I enjoy far outweighs the negatives.

I remember my first morning in London. It was a corporate house and came stocked with groceries. I grabbed the bacon and some eggs to make brekkie and was shocked to find little pieces of ham in my pan rather than bacon. I learned very quickly the difference between back bacon and so-called streaky bacon. And then I went out for my first proper English breakfast. There is no place for beans on a breakfast plate!

Edited by mr2tony 2013-06-03 2:28 PM
2013-06-03 2:30 PM

Expert
Broadlands

I remember my first morning in London. It was a corporate house and came stocked with groceries. I grabbed the bacon and some eggs to make brekkie and was shocked to find little pieces of ham in my pan rather than bacon. I learned very quickly the difference between back bacon and so-called streaky bacon. And then I went out for my first proper English breakfast. There is no place for beans on a breakfast plate!

Oh I completely agree, but then I missed baked beans off my list, should be close to the top.  Nasty!!

2013-06-03 2:37 PM

Master
Livonia, MI

Nickelback

New car smell

Country music

Avacado

Mayo--NASTY, NASTINESS!

Onions

Golf

NASCAR

Handbags

And might I add......

Brad Pitt

J. Lo

You dislike laying on the beach doing nothing!? That's one of my favorite activities, as long as there's warm sunshine and a rum-based beverage nearby.

I just get bored!  I can fall asleep but if I'm going to do that I'll just do it inside where it's temperate on a soft comfy couch or mattress.

2013-06-03 2:41 PM

Champion
Chicago

Nickelback

New car smell

Country music

Avacado

Mayo--NASTY, NASTINESS!

Onions

Golf

NASCAR

Handbags

And might I add......

Brad Pitt

J. Lo

I just get bored!  I can fall asleep but if I'm going to do that I'll just do it inside where it's temperate on a soft comfy couch or mattress.

I get bored too. That's where the rum-based drinks come in!
2013-06-03 2:42 PM

Pro

Nickelback

New car smell

Country music

Avacado

Mayo--NASTY, NASTINESS!

Onions

Golf

NASCAR

Handbags

And might I add......

Brad Pitt

J. Lo

x2. My folks used to have a beach house. My dad and I would fish, my mom and her friends would head to the beach. We would get back from fishing, go to the beach to say hi and leave. Then go back to the boat and have a drink and nap. Now THAT"s heaven.

2013-06-03 3:06 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Nickelback

New car smell

Country music

Avacado

Mayo--NASTY, NASTINESS!

Onions

Golf

NASCAR

Handbags

And might I add......

Brad Pitt

J. Lo

x2. My folks used to have a beach house. My dad and I would fish, my mom and her friends would head to the beach. We would get back from fishing, go to the beach to say hi and leave. Then go back to the boat and have a drink and nap. Now THAT"s heaven.

This is a male/female thing, I think. Because you find drinking and napping on the beach boring but can drink and nap on a boat and that's heaven? Or are you fishing WHILE you're drinking and napping?
2013-06-03 4:05 PM

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Nickelback

New car smell

Country music

Avacado

Mayo--NASTY, NASTINESS!

Onions

Golf

NASCAR

Handbags

And might I add......

Brad Pitt

J. Lo

This is a male/female thing, I think. Because you find drinking and napping on the beach boring but can drink and nap on a boat and that's heaven? Or are you fishing WHILE you're drinking and napping?

No, we did a lot of deep sea fishing. Marlin, tuna, shark, and a bunch of tournaments. Constantly busy while the boat was underway.

Type A personality apple didn't fall far from the tree. He can't sit still either. My first marathon was with my dad
2013-06-03 7:04 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Forgot one of my biggest ones. I will actually use the word "hate". Anything involving alcohol, lots of people, and lots of noise. Especially if I'm expected to "mingle" with people I don't know. Cocktail parties, bars, our annual Christmas party. If given the choice between an Ironman without training, and a three-hour cocktail party, I'd take the Ironman, hands down!

I've actually stopped going to the Christmas parties because I just don't feel like spending lots of time and $ to get all fancied up for something I honestly hate. Last year I went to bed early instead and did a long ride the next morning, and didn't regret it. I'm not antisocial, but I like my people in twos and threes in venues where we can have a conversation without yelling. Not a non-drinker either but just not into alcohol-fueled parties. I'm a quiet person and it comes off as stupid and antisocial when everyone is loud and tipsy.
2013-06-03 7:35 PM
in reply to: dewybuck

Master
Beijing

Don't worry, we have the ham you're talking about. We just also happen to have bacon. Real bacon comes in "strips", not "rashers."

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Things lots of people like... Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Bad things happen to the best people...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 970 Posts: 20

2007-06-28 11:17 AM Renee

BIG things people do that annoy you...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 1313 Posts: 22

2007-04-10 11:44 AM 2bignot2tri

Things I learned from sending other people's UPS goods <Rant>

Started by So Fresh So Clean
Views: 685 Posts: 1

2006-12-15 8:28 PM So Fresh So Clean

The things people throw away Pages: 1 2

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 1787 Posts: 35

2006-03-30 1:11 AM tyrant

Stupid things people say, vs. 2.0 Pages: 1 2

Started by nliedel
Views: 2658 Posts: 40

2005-08-04 1:58 PM nliedel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 27, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
We often forget the Other, that person or persons living behind the doors of our individual hubris, that secreted cheerleader who polishes our medals but never wins one of their own.

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.