General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What am I doing wrong? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-01 9:00 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: What am I doing wrong?
I know noone really knows without an indepth look into my training but I'm hoping someone can give me some general advice. So I worked hard over the winter and thought I made some major strides on the bike. My bike training per week consisted of: 2 interval type workouts(either 4 x 5 min, or 3 x 10 min intervals), and 1 longer (1 hr ) fairly easy ride. Well lets assume that my measurements were accurate and that I got significantly faster for those 5 and 10 min intervals over the winter. Well for my first two races this season I have been no better on the bike, possibly worse. Is there something I should be doing differently in my training? Could it be that I need more long distance rides? 90% of my biking is on trainer. It's pretty discouraging to work hard all winter and not get any faster. Don't know if its relevant but I'm usually around 21.5-22.5 mph in sprint and olympic distance. Do I just need to put in more miles? Any suggestions appreciated.

2013-06-01 9:16 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

Subject: RE: What am I doing wrong?
Someone with more knowledge will hopefully chime in & give you a more in depth response but only biking 3x/wk at those effort levels will not result in improvement. I would suggest a minimum of 5x/wk & at least one should be 3+ hours w/ some hard efforts & structure. No meandering, easy rides.
2013-06-01 9:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mchadcota2 I know noone really knows without an indepth look into my training but I'm hoping someone can give me some general advice. So I worked hard over the winter and thought I made some major strides on the bike. My bike training per week consisted of: 2 interval type workouts(either 4 x 5 min, or 3 x 10 min intervals), and 1 longer (1 hr ) fairly easy ride. Well lets assume that my measurements were accurate and that I got significantly faster for those 5 and 10 min intervals over the winter. Well for my first two races this season I have been no better on the bike, possibly worse. Is there something I should be doing differently in my training? Could it be that I need more long distance rides? 90% of my biking is on trainer. It's pretty discouraging to work hard all winter and not get any faster. Don't know if its relevant but I'm usually around 21.5-22.5 mph in sprint and olympic distance. Do I just need to put in more miles? Any suggestions appreciated.

How are you measuring effort and what are you calling "significant" for improvement? Can you also walk through the interval workouts more? It's still quite possible that conditions of the day were a little tougher than realized. The bike is especially prone to that.

You could ride harder for more of the riding you are currently doing to get more out of them, but am curious where your understanding of what your doing is at first, which the earlier questions should help to answer.

2013-06-01 9:30 PM
in reply to: 5stones

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 5stones Someone with more knowledge will hopefully chime in & give you a more in depth response but only biking 3x/wk at those effort levels will not result in improvement. I would suggest a minimum of 5x/wk & at least one should be 3+ hours w/ some hard efforts & structure. No meandering, easy rides.

Biking isn't as frequency dependent as running, so one has more flexibility in how they get in the work. Definitely need to get in some hard workouts regularly, but additional riding will depend on how much time the person can ride and how they want to get it in.

2013-06-02 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not a bike expert by any means (it's by far my weakest event) but I have made decent speed gains in the past year at sprint and Oly distances. Pretty similar 3X a week of training most of the year, with a few breaks for run focus times. Two were harder interval workouts (usually between 50 and 75 minutes), on a trainer or stationary, while one was a longer ride. The difference--my long rides were longer, and harder. Normally at least 90 minutes, and up to three hours (four last year when I was training for HIM). ALL either included some interval/tempo work, or did so by default as I was trying to keep up with faster riders. Except for a few times when I've done an easy ride to loosen up before a race or to recover after one, or pleasure rides such as bike tours on vacation, I don't do easy rides, period. Once you have the endurance to ride for an hour, there's very little training benefit to an easy hour ride.
2013-06-02 6:09 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Thanks everyone. I'm going to start doing more longer intense rides since that is the consensus. Thanks for the help.

2013-06-02 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
It doesn't sound like your off season plan was all that strenuous. If you were BOP cyclist, riding around 16-17 mph in sprints than the level of cycling you did may have helped, but you're already moving at a good clip, so you have to do more. 20 or 30 minutes of intervals and 1 hour of long riding is almost nothing. You're at less than 2 hours per week. That's less than your long ride should be.
My off season cycling training consisted of two trainer sessions, and that was sufferfest training sessions, so I pretty much wanted to die by the end of them, and a long ride. The long ride being a minimum of 2 hours, and usually closer to 3. As a result I dramatically increased my cycling speed for my first big race and my effort was lower.

You don't need to increase the frequency but you really do need to increase the intensity and volume of your shorter, i assume, mid week rides, and do a much longer long ride.
2013-06-02 9:47 PM
in reply to: RookieIM

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by RookieIM

It doesn't sound like your off season plan was all that strenuous. If you were BOP cyclist, riding around 16-17 mph in sprints than the level of cycling you did may have helped, but you're already moving at a good clip, so you have to do more. 20 or 30 minutes of intervals and 1 hour of long riding is almost nothing. You're at less than 2 hours per week. That's less than your long ride should be.
My off season cycling training consisted of two trainer sessions, and that was sufferfest training sessions, so I pretty much wanted to die by the end of them, and a long ride. The long ride being a minimum of 2 hours, and usually closer to 3. As a result I dramatically increased my cycling speed for my first big race and my effort was lower.

You don't need to increase the frequency but you really do need to increase the intensity and volume of your shorter, i assume, mid week rides, and do a much longer long ride.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I thought if I was making big improvements on the small intervals I was doing that it would result in improved race times. But I see what ya'll are saying now. I guess the faster you get, the more work you have to put in to make improvements. I will step it up.
2013-06-02 9:54 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Oh and to answer someone's question from earlier, I use a garmin speed/cadence sensor. I know this is not 100% reliable but I thought it would be a decent guage. When I would do my 5 or 10 min intervals(the intervals were all out as fast as I could possibly go), I would record the speed that I held for the intervals. I would take an average of the 4 intervals at the end of the workout and write it all down. I went from averaging in the mid 22's for the 5 min intervals, to avging a little over 24 mph by the end of winter. I would keep the resistance on the trainer and the air pressure in my tire always consistent. I was so anxious to get out on the road because I thought I would be so much faster and that hasn't really been the case.
2013-06-02 10:23 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You are fast enough that I would say bike 5x per week add a longer ride and another moderate one. So like 3x 1 hour to 9o min, 1x 90 min and 1x 3 hours per week ish. Also adding hill repeats once per week. 5000-10,000 miles a year would help ) but who has that much time right?
2013-06-03 6:18 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by mchadcota2

Oh and to answer someone's question from earlier, I use a garmin speed/cadence sensor. I know this is not 100% reliable but I thought it would be a decent guage. When I would do my 5 or 10 min intervals(the intervals were all out as fast as I could possibly go), I would record the speed that I held for the intervals. I would take an average of the 4 intervals at the end of the workout and write it all down. I went from averaging in the mid 22's for the 5 min intervals, to avging a little over 24 mph by the end of winter. I would keep the resistance on the trainer and the air pressure in my tire always consistent. I was so anxious to get out on the road because I thought I would be so much faster and that hasn't really been the case.

What happened with the 10 minute intervals and how much rest were you taking with the 5 and 10 minute intervals? Three rides is more than enough to make improvements through the winter and to have them translate to the road. However, in the future I would ditch the long easy ride and replace it by one that is more focused - unless you are going to put in a long ride on the trainer, riding easy is of little benefit.

Also, what type of trainer do you have? Depending on the type you may be able to look up the power curve and get an idea of what your power improvment based on your speed increase and then get a better idea of what that should have translated to on the road.

Shane

2013-06-03 6:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Biking isn't exactly my strongest sport, but I think that 3x/week is OK. Problem is that your workouts are way too easy. The bike doesn't put that much strain on your body so you need to do longer workouts than for swimming or running. I wouldn't bother doing anything under 1hr (or put differently, if I have less than 1hr to do a workout I'd go running instead). My shortest workout for the trainer is just 1hr:

6min warm up
5x 8min Z5 + 2min recovery
4min cool down

Do longer intervals with more repetitions and do intervals workouts for different zones. The lower the effort the longer the workout needs to be.

The speed/cadence sensor is accurate but the trainer is a poor substitute for the road. When you hit the road you may find that you can't hold the same speed as you do on the trainer. "Speed" on the trainer is really an indicator of your power output not actual speed.

Edited by erik.norgaard 2013-06-03 6:43 AM
2013-06-03 7:01 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mchadcota2 Oh and to answer someone's question from earlier, I use a garmin speed/cadence sensor. I know this is not 100% reliable but I thought it would be a decent guage. When I would do my 5 or 10 min intervals(the intervals were all out as fast as I could possibly go), I would record the speed that I held for the intervals. I would take an average of the 4 intervals at the end of the workout and write it all down. I went from averaging in the mid 22's for the 5 min intervals, to avging a little over 24 mph by the end of winter. I would keep the resistance on the trainer and the air pressure in my tire always consistent. I was so anxious to get out on the road because I thought I would be so much faster and that hasn't really been the case.

If you're as meticulous as you think you are with the setup consistency, then trainer speed can do ok in helping to gauge effort. That's actually how Trainer Road works for their virtual power. It's still a bit curious how you're race didn't reflect improvement, but there are some good ideas posted that you should incorporate anyway. Namely working hard all 3 days and consider more hard work within a workout. Getting in 20-40 minutes of hard work per workout tends to work well for many. For me, right after these it is difficult to unclip from the bike and even just walk around. The shorter you go, the harder you go. Break up into intervals how you like. Generally 5-20 minutes in length with recovery time say no more than 25% of the interval length. Shorter is fine (and kind of encouraged). Like Erik's example of 5 x 8 min (40 min of hard work) with 2 min recovery (25% of the interval length).

Then since you can measure the intervals with speed at least, watch each one so that you are keeping up the pace throughout all of them, as opposed to averaging them together. You want each one to be the same effort or maybe a very *slight* increase depending on how you want to do the workout that day.

If you have time for another ride or more time to make that easier one a lot bigger, then you can do that. But if not, then push it more often. If you only have the hard rides all the time, it's ok to take one easy and just go for a ride every few weeks or so. That's to keep things enjoyable, so it doesn't become such a chore beating yourself up every single time on the bike.

2013-06-03 7:17 AM
in reply to: brigby1

nashville, Tennessee
Man you guys are awesome! Thank you for taking the time to help me. Someone asked how I was doing the intervals. I would warm up for about 10 minutes and then for the 5 min interval I would bike as hard as I could for 5 min and then recover for 2 min. Do that 4 times. For the 10 min interval workout I would warm up 10 and then do 3 10 minute intervals with 5 min recovery in between. Each week I have been getting a total of about 3-3.5 hrs of biking. I hit 22 mph for one sprint last year, and 21.7 for IM augusta. My first two races this year was 20.7 for a sprint(everyone was slower for this race), then 21.8 for olympic this past weekend. I was hoping for 23. I guess I am just going to have to put in more time. I appreciate the input.
2013-06-03 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I think we found the smoking gun:
or the 5 min interval I would bike as hard as I could for 5 min and then recover for 2 min. Do that 4 times

There is a LOT of information in this quote if you ask me (and you didn't, but being a forum, you get free advice like this!). I didn't see *how* you are measuring your efforts, other than by saying "hard" and "easy", but let's use RPE (relative perceived effort) as a scale for starters. 1 is 'asleep' and 10 is 'my eyeball just fell out', and there's an ocean in between. 9 is a sprint, 8 is a VERY strong effort, and 7 is race pace. To equate this to power, you'd map 7 to your FTP, which is commonly measured as your maximum sustainable 20 minute effort.
Here's a translation of RPE to FTP
3 50%
4 63%
5 76%
6 89%
7 100%
8 114%
9 127%
10 140%
Obviously having a power meter helps tremendously, not just for providing a numeric metric to work with, but also to determine day over day effort (your RPE=7 might not be as strong on Monday as it is on Wednesday!). Working backwards with your information, you're obviously not at RPE=10 for 5 minutes, and it's likely not at 9 either. 9 and 10 are flat out, and you can NOT hold those speeds for 5 minutes. Judging by your race results, that 5 minutes is probably your FTP level, or RPE=7. I can tell you if you're only doing 4 sets of 5 minute intervals at 100% FTP with 2 minutes in between, you will *not* make any progress. So at least the results make sense.

The good news is there is lots of progress available to you if you train differently, and smarter. If at ALL possible, set yourself up with TrainerRoad, that makes things a LOT easier to figure out, simply because it takes RPE out and replaces it with real numbers and lots of professionally structured workouts that are designed to specifically improve your cycling ability and power. I say ability and power, because they are two facets that don't develop in lockstep - a tremendously strong set of legs might be able to generate a huge amount of power by mashing the biggest gear, but can't sustain it very long. Over time you'll develop as a spinner as well as in strength, and find power comes differently from each. My body works much differently climbing a steep grade out of the saddle than it does in aero cruising on a flat. I'm hesitant to suggest any specific workouts, because there are many different types that address different things (FTP, cadence, climbing, power, endurance, etc), but at least for starters I can say if you want to raise your power, you'll need to push OVER that marker a lot more often. Instead of what you're doing now, maybe try some more intense sets, like :40 at RPE=9 (minimum cadence 95! nothing lower!!),:20 at RPE3 (rest), and do 8 of those. Then rest 2:00 of light spinning. Repeat 5 times with 5 minutes warm up and cool down for a solid hour of suffering. You need to redefine suffering -when you're done with that workout, you shouldn't have the energy to shake your fists at the gods and ask why they created you, you should be TOAST.

By the way, I don't know where your races are geographically, but where I live in the rolling hills of CT, 23 mph average is pretty beastly, and the difference between riding 22 and 23 mph is no chump change. Getting there takes SUFFERING, and lots of it. You keep pushing that threshold of pain higher and higher, as you get stronger and more efficient. You also won't really measure by mph, you'll measure by power output.
2013-06-04 7:49 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by fisherman76

I think we found the smoking gun:
or the 5 min interval I would bike as hard as I could for 5 min and then recover for 2 min. Do that 4 times

There is a LOT of information in this quote if you ask me (and you didn't, but being a forum, you get free advice like this!). I didn't see *how* you are measuring your efforts, other than by saying "hard" and "easy", but let's use RPE (relative perceived effort) as a scale for starters. 1 is 'asleep' and 10 is 'my eyeball just fell out', and there's an ocean in between. 9 is a sprint, 8 is a VERY strong effort, and 7 is race pace. To equate this to power, you'd map 7 to your FTP, which is commonly measured as your maximum sustainable 20 minute effort.
Here's a translation of RPE to FTP
3 50%
4 63%
5 76%
6 89%
7 100%
8 114%
9 127%
10 140%
Obviously having a power meter helps tremendously, not just for providing a numeric metric to work with, but also to determine day over day effort (your RPE=7 might not be as strong on Monday as it is on Wednesday!). Working backwards with your information, you're obviously not at RPE=10 for 5 minutes, and it's likely not at 9 either. 9 and 10 are flat out, and you can NOT hold those speeds for 5 minutes. Judging by your race results, that 5 minutes is probably your FTP level, or RPE=7. I can tell you if you're only doing 4 sets of 5 minute intervals at 100% FTP with 2 minutes in between, you will *not* make any progress. So at least the results make sense.

The good news is there is lots of progress available to you if you train differently, and smarter. If at ALL possible, set yourself up with TrainerRoad, that makes things a LOT easier to figure out, simply because it takes RPE out and replaces it with real numbers and lots of professionally structured workouts that are designed to specifically improve your cycling ability and power. I say ability and power, because they are two facets that don't develop in lockstep - a tremendously strong set of legs might be able to generate a huge amount of power by mashing the biggest gear, but can't sustain it very long. Over time you'll develop as a spinner as well as in strength, and find power comes differently from each. My body works much differently climbing a steep grade out of the saddle than it does in aero cruising on a flat. I'm hesitant to suggest any specific workouts, because there are many different types that address different things (FTP, cadence, climbing, power, endurance, etc), but at least for starters I can say if you want to raise your power, you'll need to push OVER that marker a lot more often. Instead of what you're doing now, maybe try some more intense sets, like :40 at RPE=9 (minimum cadence 95! nothing lower!!),:20 at RPE3 (rest), and do 8 of those. Then rest 2:00 of light spinning. Repeat 5 times with 5 minutes warm up and cool down for a solid hour of suffering. You need to redefine suffering -when you're done with that workout, you shouldn't have the energy to shake your fists at the gods and ask why they created you, you should be TOAST.

By the way, I don't know where your races are geographically, but where I live in the rolling hills of CT, 23 mph average is pretty beastly, and the difference between riding 22 and 23 mph is no chump change. Getting there takes SUFFERING, and lots of it. You keep pushing that threshold of pain higher and higher, as you get stronger and more efficient. You also won't really measure by mph, you'll measure by power output.

Man that's some great info. I feel like I should send you a check. Thanks alot. It is now clear to me what my problem is. I am training the same amount of hours now as I was the last two years. That amount of hours was good enough to get to where I am, but not enough to get to the next level. 3 hours/week on the bike is enough to get you to a 21.5 mph biker. But if you wanna be 23 mph biker its gonna take 5-6 hours of biking. And on and on. My 5 min intervals aren't gonna cut it. Unless I want to be a 5 min racer. Am I right here? Thanks everyone!

2013-06-04 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Man that's some great info. I feel like I should send you a check. Thanks alot. It is now clear to me what my problem is. I am training the same amount of hours now as I was the last two years. That amount of hours was good enough to get to where I am, but not enough to get to the next level. 3 hours/week on the bike is enough to get you to a 21.5 mph biker. But if you wanna be 23 mph biker its gonna take 5-6 hours of biking.

Nope - duration is not the key factor - training load is and that is the product of intensity and volume. You don't need 5-6 hours of biking to go from 21.5mph to 23mph; you need to adjust your training load so that you have a higher training load this week than last - this is a progressive overload and will result in improved fitness.

And on and on. My 5 min intervals aren't gonna cut it. Unless I want to be a 5 min racer. Am I right here?

5 minute intervals are a great part of a triathlon cycling plan and, in addition to longer intervals of 10-20 minutes, will result in solid fitness gains. 5 minutes is still a mostly aerobic effort (and moreso when you do multiple repeats) and 10-20 minute intervals are almost entirely aerobic in nature so these will result in improvements in FTP which is the key indicator of triathlon bike performance.

Shane
2013-06-04 8:22 AM
in reply to: brigby1

I too spent from October to march in the garage on the spinning bike at least 3 x a week, when I got back on the road in April my performance was terrible. It's only since I started cycling 4 times a week with each session being hard effort I have seen results.

Next winter I am going to subscribe to trainerroad and get a turbo trainer. I think this is the only way u can make measure able progres.
2013-06-04 8:30 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Shane's spot on (zero surprise!).
Again, I feel I've got to endorse trainerRoad, as you get a number of metrics that will help you understand the relationships between effort intensity, duration, and how to improve. You'll get a TSS (training stress score), normalized power, intensity factor, heart rate, cadence, and actual power output numbers for not only each workout, but each *stage* of the workout and power zone (ie recovery, endurance, tempo, sweet spot, threshold, VO2 Max). If you're going to be taking your improvement very seriously - which pushing to that next level requires - then training with power is the most effective method of doing it. RPE won't cut it, your mind isn't a reliable measurement tool. You'll need to start taking objective measurements and employing workouts that specifically address areas of weakness. No offense, but you're not qualified to do that on your own! I know I'm not!

Alternately you could join a gym with Computrainers and pay ~20USD a session, or you could shell out ~1000 and get a power meter, then hire a coach to design your workouts and monitor your results. If you have money to burn, go for it. Or, quite realistically, you may be the type of person that really needs a coach to stay motivated, focused, and moving forward. Used to be that coaches were the only way to get some of these metrics, but the rules changed. Coaches are still incredibly important to succeeding at raising and meeting goals in this and any sport, I'm not saying differently, just saying that on your own you now have access to the same tools and structure as a coach, so why not do it?
2013-06-04 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
the guys above have got the training stuff pretty well handled, so I'll ask some questions about the races themselves.

1.) Are you comparing your speed from race A (2012) to race A (2013) or to race B (2013)? My bike split is a lot different in a sprint in Tennessee compared to a sprint in Florida. The only way to get a real "feel" for improvement in a race is doing the same course in similar conditions.

2.) Are you comparing speed on the trainer to speed on the road? That's a recipe for disaster. Depending on the trainer I've seen people be way faster or way slower than they are on the road.

3.) How are your bike riding skills? You can be way more powerful than last year, but if it makes it where you feel you need to brake and shave speed in every turn, then you might not be any faster.

Just some thoughts.
2013-06-04 9:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Nope - duration is not the key factor - training load is and that is the product of intensity and volume. You don't need 5-6 hours of biking to go from 21.5mph to 23mph; you need to adjust your training load so that you have a higher training load this week than last - this is a progressive overload and will result in improved fitness.

Listen to Shane. He is right !

This winter I was only doing 3x per week between 1hr and 1hr 1h15. I was very skeptical.

On March 31st I did my FTP test and hit all time highs. I do not think I could have raced longer distances as effectively but Sprint and Oly for sure had improved.
It was all in the type of intervals, duration. As Shane said it was the progressive load

Edited by marcag 2013-06-04 9:14 AM

2013-06-04 9:56 AM
in reply to: marcag

nashville, Tennessee
So...during the offseason I would repeat these 5 min interval workouts and 10 min interval workouts about every 2 weeks. I would try to beat my avg speed from the previous workout. Each workout I improved and by the end of offseason my speeds had improved a lot. I'm just trying to understand, would this be considered increasing the load each week? Increasing the volume week to week is easy to understand. But when it comes to intensity, I would say I was pushing as hard as I could each time I did these interval workouts. Would you say I need to increase the length of the intense intervals each week? Or do I need to include some shorter intervals at more of an anerobic pace? A previous poster pretty much said volume doesn't even matter and that he did just 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min workouts 3 times a week and made big improvements. Or do I just need to shut up and get TrainerRoad and get busy? Does TrainerRoad require a power meter?
2013-06-04 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So...during the offseason I would repeat these 5 min interval workouts and 10 min interval workouts about every 2 weeks. I would try to beat my avg speed from the previous workout. Each workout I improved and by the end of offseason my speeds had improved a lot. I'm just trying to understand, would this be considered increasing the load each week? Increasing the volume week to week is easy to understand. But when it comes to intensity, I would say I was pushing as hard as I could each time I did these interval workouts. Would you say I need to increase the length of the intense intervals each week? Or do I need to include some shorter intervals at more of an anerobic pace? A previous poster pretty much said volume doesn't even matter and that he did just 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min workouts 3 times a week and made big improvements. Or do I just need to shut up and get TrainerRoad and get busy? Does TrainerRoad require a power meter?

In the absence of a coach i would say get TR and do one of their programs.

For me it was a combination of work in all zones and those zones were based on my FTP. I must say I was doing more VO2 intervals than I expected and was surprised with the results. A lot of people have a tendency to just to stuff at threshold. I was doing some threshold, some VO2, some tempo and Z2 was for warm up and cool down.

When doing the intervals, it wasn't doing the first one that was tough. It was finishing the 6th. The idea is not to do the first be totally gased so the second is less.....it was keeping them even effort and being gased at the end.

TR can do "virtual power" if you don't have a power meter, if you have the right trainer.
I don't know their plans, maybe someone can recommend on specific one.

2013-06-04 10:37 AM

nashville, Tennessee
So let me pose my question a little differently to help me understand. If at the end of the season I am able to avg 22 mph for a particular 20 mile course, then during the off season I start these interval workouts. If I were to be using a power meter instead of my other method of measurement, and I am able to increase my power output for those 10 min intervals by 10 % during the offseason. Would you not expect an increase in speed for that same 20 mile ride? I'm wondering if its just a problem with my method of measurement.
2013-06-04 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

So let me pose my question a little differently to help me understand. If at the end of the season I am able to avg 22 mph for a particular 20 mile course, then during the off season I start these interval workouts. If I were to be using a power meter instead of my other method of measurement, and I am able to increase my power output for those 10 min intervals by 10 % during the offseason. Would you not expect an increase in speed for that same 20 mile ride? I'm wondering if its just a problem with my method of measurement.

There are a whole bunch of factors you aren't considering. When riding the trainer you don't work all the stablilizing muscles or utilize your handling skills whatsoever. Things like wind, temperature, the state of your tires, the condition of the road have all surely changed in the last year. Your "speed" on the trainer is completely made up. A given power will net you a different "speed" based on your tire pressure, how your trainer is set up etc. AND your overall volume is way down. While you may have a higher power for your 10 minute interval, your conditioning might not be there for your 20 mile course, especially if you havent dont any base work and long rides whatsoever.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What am I doing wrong? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swimming - What am I doing wrong/right?

Started by inspiration
Views: 948 Posts: 4

2011-01-12 1:57 AM daharryone

Blackburn fluid trainer - what am I doing wrong?

Started by trishie
Views: 637 Posts: 2

2009-06-15 10:10 PM Experior

what am I doing wrong?

Started by heath8
Views: 1566 Posts: 18

2008-08-18 8:25 AM David tri's

Trainer: What am I doing wrong?

Started by Rennick
Views: 1003 Posts: 5

2005-12-14 12:46 PM CindyK

What am I doing wrong - swimming

Started by See Mom Run
Views: 1900 Posts: 20

2005-03-24 10:52 PM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : July 5, 2005
author : bflrich
comments : 1
What makes the difference between success and failure is not how often you fall but how often you rise. Next time you’re chewing that second cookie and you realize it’s not what you planned on...STOP!