United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 27s
Overall Rank = 83/115
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

On March 1 I found out that 3 Mountain Madness, which was on my schedule for this weekend, was cancelled for 2013 due to some permitting issues. I decided that I really kind of did want an event in late May or early June and I ended up with this one on my schedule! That being said, 3MM was meant to be a training ride and this event is meant to be a "training race," more for fun than for competitiveness. As a result, no build, no taper, no recovery.

Up at 4:15 and on the road before 4:45 for the 90-sh minute trip to Bullocksville State Park. Before I left home: English muffin with peanut butter, banana. I wanted to allow plenty of time for the drive and check in.
Event warmup:

I did a very short run and some dynamic stretching before putting on my wetsuit and heading down swim start. Unfortunately, the start was delayed due to water chop that made it difficult for them to set the turn buoys.
Swim
  • 39m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the fourth wave of four. Open swimmers, then men under 44 (green caps), men 45 and over with clydes an relays (white caps) and then women (pink caps).

The course was a counter clockwise triangle. We went out a short way at a sever angle to the shoreline and then went a long long way parallel to the shore before swimming to the swim exit. The area around the first turn was particularly choppy and I had a little bit of difficulty breathing in that area. By the time I got to the second buoy, I had my rhythm back. By then I was swimming alone and was getting a bit discouraged. Then I passed someone in a white cap and another person in a green cap. I felt better about things then.

Includes 100+ m uphill run from the lake
What would you do differently?:

This is a six minute improvement from my previous Olympic distance swims (45:27.5 and 47:41). I need to continue to work on swimming in general.

I think that I may have been sighting too frequently at the beginning. I had better rhythm and breathing with a little bit less looking up.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I was pleased with this transition. I was able to remove the wetsuit quickly and get into socks and bike shoes, helmet and gloves. I felt organized and it went so quickly I felt like I must have forgotten something!
Bike
  • 1h 18m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.92 mile/hr
Comments:

The beginning of the bike course was really fast and I got really excited. Woo hoo! Then we got into some hillier sections. The competitors were really spread out and that was a little bit strange feeling but there were tons and tons of volunteers and that was fun. They had three volunteers along with one or two state troopers at every turn on the course.

The course was very pretty and the roads were in surprisingly good condition. As a matter of fact, the roads there were better than the ones that I typically ride on. The rolling rural countryside was very scenic.

Just before the 10 mile mark, I came across a man walking his bike. I asked him if he needed anything and he said that he had a flat. I quick glace at his wheels told me that I would not be able to help him with a tube (he had deep rims) but when I stopped he said he was using tubulars anyway. I asked him if a frame pump would help him (figuring that he had CO2 of his own) and he said yes. I gave him my frame pump and asked him to drop it for me in transition (gave him my number). Then I left. I never saw the frame pump again. :-(

I had a honey stinger waffle early in the bike and then decided to go ahead and have a gel at about the one hour mark, figuring with breakfast at 4:15 and a delayed, it wouldn't hurt any.

The wind was a factor on the bike for sure but all of the participants had to deal with it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Run
  • 59m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was good. There was some shade which was nice and there were plenty of aid stations. Any concerns that I had about the small gravel section were completely unfounded.

I kind of liked the double out and back on run course because you got to see a lot of different people on the course and because were were passing each other, there was a lot of "Great job!" and "Finish strong!" talk. Despite the heat, I think that this may have been my favorite part of the event.
Post race
Warm down:

The event headquarters were in a park community building. An air conditioned community building! They had drinks and snacks (bananas, Lance crackers, Oreos, trail mix, orange quarters, bags of chips) and sandwiches.

I had some snacks, a bottle of water and a soda while I was hanging around waiting for results. I never saw my results get printed by I got my time at the awards.

I did not pack up my gear right away because I was hoping for the frame pump to reappear. I suspect the guy sagged in and went home without really thinking about it. Oh well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In the back of my mind, my goal was to go under 3 hours. I think that I may have made it if I hadn't stopped for the guy with the flat.

That being said, this was meant to be an event, not a race.

Event comments:

Well organized event with a nice course and plentiful volunteers.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:26 | 1500 meters | 02m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 0/115
Performance:
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction Long John
Course: Counter clockwise triangle in Kerr Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:49 | 24.85 miles | 18.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 63/115
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course was very pretty and the roads were in surprisingly good condition. The rolling rural countryside was very scenic. The 2013 course was different than in previous years due to road construction.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:59:43 | 06.21 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 80/115
Performance: Average
Course: Two loop out and back, within the park and on the road leading to the park, one small section on gravel
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-03 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: Kerr Lake Triathlon

2013-06-03 9:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Kerr Lake Triathlon
Great job, Janyne, a podium in a race you weren't treating as a race but a training event!!  Very fast bike, good run, impressive.  Too bad about the guy not returning your frame pump, but hey, you still have some good karma banked.  Congrats!

Edited by melbo55 2013-06-03 9:02 AM
2013-06-03 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4764770

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Congrats on another fine effort. I really admire the kindness you have for others on the course. Great Job!!!
2013-06-03 11:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando
I love the name of the state park: Bullocksville, he he . Congratulations on having a great event and walking away with some hardware! Boo to the guy for keeping your pump, but once again you showed what you're made of. ( please ignore the bad grammar )

Edited by amd723 2013-06-03 11:01 AM
2013-06-03 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Congrats on the podium. Sounds like a fun race an you did very well for not "racing" it. Bummer about the pump, though. I've list goggles and race belts but never a pump. Of course... I don't carry a pump ;-)
2013-06-03 11:53 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Ahhhh Bullocks! 

Laughing I love the generality of the trophy, you award winner, you!

Great job Janyne! 

2013-06-03 11:58 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You have earned good race karma for the remainder of the season with sharing the frame pump--sorry it didn't make its way back to you.

Great work!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerr Lake Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kerr Lake Triathlon

Started by qrkid
Views: 1990 Posts: 9

2010-06-28 12:56 PM qrkid

Kerr Lake Triathlon

Started by zgardon
Views: 1514 Posts: 2

2009-06-08 6:24 PM hrliles

Kerr Lake Triathlon

Started by FeManAZ
Views: 1468 Posts: 1

2009-06-08 7:11 AM FeManAZ

Kerr Lake Triathlon

Started by hrliles
Views: 1764 Posts: 2

2009-06-07 8:05 PM qrkid

Kerr Lake Triathlon

Started by qrkid
Views: 1720 Posts: 2

2009-06-07 6:34 PM hrliles
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.