Trisport Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 23s
Overall Rank = 25/353
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/59
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race site really early – like 3 hours beforehand. A friend was doing his first duathlon and wanted to be there early. But we also needed to be into the park before 10am otherwise they were shutting down the entrance for the Try a Tri that was going off first.

This also gave me time to seek out the onsite bike mechanics. I remembered first thing in the morning that my right aero pad was a bit loose, so I tried to tighten it. One turn and I heard a horrible snap – I broke the bolt. Ultimately the mechanics couldn’t help me because the bolt snapped inside the threading, so I was riding with just one pad.

Event warmup:

Racked my bike outside transition and watched the Try a Tri race. Once done, I got a good spot in transition, set myself up quickly and went out on the bike to warm up followed by a short run.

Swim
  • 14m 46s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wanted a good start in the water. The swim is always my weakest area, but I planned on trying to find some feet to draft. The issue as I looked out at the lake was that I was in wave 5, and the wave right beforehand looked awfully slow. I knew it was going to be congested, but it looked worse than I had guessed. My training partner had made the smart decision to request he get seeded in the first wave, and avoided all the commotion.

Horn sounded and off we went. I swam hard for the first 100M or so, and tried to look for feet to attach to, but in hindsight it was too early and people went out harder than they could sustain, so I sort of jumped around from person to person looking for a bit of a free ride. Then we caught the wave ahead, and it turned into the worst mess of legs and arms I’ve come across. It seemed like everyone was pooled together, and not moving anywhere fast. I got caught in a mass of swim caps that weren’t my color and couldn’t escape. I actually stopped and had to tread water twice to try and find some clear water – but there was none to be found. An elbow to the face and my goggles wrapped around my head did not improve my mood.

By the time I got out of the water I felt like this was a really slow swim. My time wasn’t actually bad relative to my normal race times, but I was further back than I wanted to be starting the bike.

What would you do differently?:

Seed myself in the first wave, if I'm too far back.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Ran through transition as quickly as possible, and because I suck at flying mounts I put my shoes on in transition, and off I went. Go to the bike mount line, and it was like a parking lot, but got myself off and going as fast as possible.

Not much
Bike
  • 32m 18s
  • 20 kms
  • 36.89 km/hr
Comments:

Got out of the park quickly and onto the roads, and right away got passed by a guy in my AG. I knew who he was, and also knew that if I let him go, I would never catch him on the run. So I put the hammer down, and for the first 5km my power was at 102% and my HR was 174 – um, I can’t sustain that. But the effort was working and I was keeping him within 100 meters. By the time we reached 5km I actually passed him – although this was short lived and he passed me back with a km or so. At the same time a guy in the 45-49 AG went past me. The two of them slowly drifted away from me, but I knew I needed to back off the effort level just a bit.

This is not a tough bike course, it starts off with the first 5km on a slight incline (and awful roads), then it’s slightly downhill, down a hill – up another hill, and then the turnaround, and go back the other way. But being in the 5th wave, and following the duathlon, I had nowhere to be except on the left side of the road. The course was packed, and I can only guess that I had to pass a few hundred people.

That said, I didn’t feel like I was slowed down with all the traffic. I’d call out “Left” and people moved over, and everyone did their best with such a crowded course.

Not much. Felt like I let off the power in a couple of spots, but that was about it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Came into T2 with my feet out of my shoes and ready to run off the bike – unfortunately, the group of people dismounting in front of me were not moving at the same speed. Rather than a flying dismount, I had to brake once I got off my bike so I didn’t fly into someone in front of me, and dropped my chain in the process. My fault, I should have paid more attention and slowed down more. Got to my rack, decided to toss the sunglasses, grabbed my visor and Garmin, but struggled with the shoes.

Pay more attention at the line.
Run
  • 20m 36s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 04s  min/km
Comments:

Got running as quickly as I could, and was aiming to run as close to a 4min/km pace as I could hold – but that plan went out the window quickly. My back was tight for the first couple of km and I couldn’t seem to get my legs going. I also knew the guy from my AG was running away from me. Saw my training partner running the other direction and he looked like he was running well, but I had no idea what our time gap was. At the turnaround the guy in my AG looked strong, and he had a comfortable margin on me. I knew he would be a contender for a podium spot, so now it came down to how many others were in front of us. The legs started to come around closer to the end and I was able to pass a couple of guys in my AG, but for the most part, the people I passed on the run, were all the wrong AG. Emptied the tank at the end of the run, but wasn’t catching anyone else at that point.

Not much. Just didn't feel like I could push as hard as I wanted to, but it was still a decent run.
Post race
Warm down:

Collapsed at the end, and then met up with my training partner and other friend who completed his duathlon. We got some food, and found the results, and I just managed a medal. Even better, beat my training partner by 8sec – every second counts.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim. Yes, it was congested, but the simple fact is that my swimming holds me back. The guy who won my AG beat me by 3min out of the water...

Event comments:

It was a good day, and for a short hard race, this is a good venue – minus the first/last 5km of the bike. If I race it in the future, I will choose to go off in the first wave and avoid some of the swim congestion.

Last updated: 2013-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:46 | 750 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/59
Overall: 98/353
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: Basic rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:18 | 20 kms | 36.89 km/hr
Age Group: 5/59
Overall: 22/353
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back with just a couple of different roads and turns.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:20:36 | 05 kms | 04m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 3/59
Overall: 30/353
Course: Out and back on roads in the campground. Rolling course with nothing really flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-26 12:09 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Guelph Lake I - Sprint Triathlon

2013-06-26 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4788335

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake I - Sprint Triathlon

Good job Neil!  I need to learn how to push myself hard enough to collapse at the end...

Do you have any pictures of you riding with the one pad on your aerobars???

2013-06-26 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

That's tough about your aero pad, but you still managed a fantastic ride.

Nice racing.

2013-06-26 4:24 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Great race Neil! That swim sounds like a tangled mess. Nice finish! 
2013-06-26 9:27 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by axteraa

Good job Neil!  I need to learn how to push myself hard enough to collapse at the end...

Do you have any pictures of you riding with the one pad on your aerobars???

Thanks Arend. I wondered why my back was tight for the first couple of km of the run, but looking at the pic I can see I was a bit lobsided.

(Missing Pad.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Missing Pad.JPG (26KB - 35 downloads)
2013-06-27 7:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Nice race, Neil.  I'm always jealous of people who feel off on the run but still manage a 20 minute 5k!

How was riding on the aero bar with no pad? 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake I - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Guelph Lake Weekend - Sprint Triathlon

Started by jknapman
Views: 2058 Posts: 3

2007-06-26 8:29 AM CalgaryRunner

Started by gasping
Views: 1549 Posts: 4

2007-06-26 5:58 AM KRCSWO

Started by bwhite
Views: 1869 Posts: 1

2006-07-15 5:42 PM bwhite

Started by m3fraser
Views: 1713 Posts: 1

2006-06-25 1:57 PM m3fraser

Started by bwhite
Views: 1500 Posts: 1

2006-06-04 6:51 PM bwhite
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.