of 3

2013-07-25 10:33 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Anthony Weiner
tuwood,

I completely agree with you. It does not even have to be your opponent. If big money wants the other guy in they will attack you. Other guy could be the worse guy and you can be an angel but yet misleading info and half truths can make anyone look bad. Sad but true the side that spends the most almost always wins.

2013-07-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by TheCrownsOwn
Originally posted by powerman

Originally posted by TheCrownsOwn Why not put moral behaviours aside and vote on whats important to your homeland? Vote on economic policies, on long term investment and economic development. This is the meat and potato's of a country. Everything else falls into place after you can pay for it.... Moral high ground is useless if you have no money and are bankrupt...in fact..thats when you don't necessarily have the luxury of morals and they become fleeting.... If you hate the guy because he's a pervert fine. If you vote against or for him because of it...I think you've missed the point of an elected official. What is his economic platform and what is he going to do for you and your country.....

Missed the point of elected officials???? What, you mean like, honesty, integrity, accountability. Ya, how silly all that stuff is. His  economic platform is what is really important. Frown

How in the heck does a platform matter when you can't trust a word out of his mouth?

If you think you can trust any politician on moral grounds, I'm afraid your in for a life of disappointment. I don't want to sound like honesty and integrity are not important traits....they are. The reality, whether distasteful or not, is that elected officials are there to run government and inact legislation for the better of it's people. There morality is moot. Holding up politicians on a pedestal is just a recipe for disappointment over and over again. I would trade fiscal responsibility and getting the books in order any day of the week for a moron who wears a tie, and doesn't text and drive, politically correct, eats his vitamins and says his prayers... All you can do is hold them accountable for what they promise to do with your vote. If they don't follow through, you don't vote for them. If we continue to vote for our elected officials in the "court of public opinion..." well.....Detroit is just the tip of the ice berg... Its time to start looking at the cold hard truth. Money talks, and b.s. walks. If by chance you get a politician who is economically responsible and (lol) also has integrity...great...but the latter should not be essential to the first.

I assume you are speaking of a hypothetical fiscally responsible politician and not Weiner specifically.

Correct. My point is that I don't care what the guy does in his own time. Vote on his platform. I'm not even American but ALL citizens face these problems in there respective countries. Canada included.
2013-07-25 11:14 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by tuwood

The sad thing is that politics is so disgustingly ugly that people who are truly qualified to run the government aren't applying for the job.

If I'm a successful business person and decide that I want to give back by running for office.  All of a sudden every sin I've had my life for the past 40 years becomes front page news across the land.  My wife and children are put under a microscope and every achievement I've ever had in life is question, minimized, and demeaned.

Yeah, I'll pass.

That doesn't even take into account any of the money or corruption in politics, I'm purely talking about good people not wanting to run for office.

Excellent excellent post.

So now my question is...is it the politicians fault...or the voter who votes on morality? tony just mentioned that in this day an age there is something probably documented on EVERYONE out in facebook land or some social media...perhaps a rude or racist comment..and photo at a party when you were drunk....

Put aside the crap, and vote on what counts. What matters. Economics...money. The rest can fall into place as it may.
2013-07-25 11:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Originally posted by TheCrownsOwn Why not put moral behaviours aside and vote on whats important to your homeland? Vote on economic policies, on long term investment and economic development. This is the meat and potato's of a country. Everything else falls into place after you can pay for it.... Moral high ground is useless if you have no money and are bankrupt...in fact..thats when you don't necessarily have the luxury of morals and they become fleeting.... If you hate the guy because he's a pervert fine. If you vote against or for him because of it...I think you've missed the point of an elected official. What is his economic platform and what is he going to do for you and your country.....

Missed the point of elected officials???? What, you mean like, honesty, integrity, accountability. Ya, how silly all that stuff is. His  economic platform is what is really important. Frown

How in the heck does a platform matter when you can't trust a word out of his mouth?

If you think you can trust any politician on moral grounds, I'm afraid your in for a life of disappointment. I don't want to sound like honesty and integrity are not important traits....they are. The reality, whether distasteful or not, is that elected officials are there to run government and inact legislation for the better of it's people. There morality is moot. Holding up politicians on a pedestal is just a recipe for disappointment over and over again. I would trade fiscal responsibility and getting the books in order any day of the week for a moron who wears a tie, and doesn't text and drive, politically correct, eats his vitamins and says his prayers... All you can do is hold them accountable for what they promise to do with your vote. If they don't follow through, you don't vote for them. If we continue to vote for our elected officials in the "court of public opinion..." well.....Detroit is just the tip of the ice berg... Its time to start looking at the cold hard truth. Money talks, and b.s. walks. If by chance you get a politician who is economically responsible and (lol) also has integrity...great...but the latter should not be essential to the first.

How incredibly sad. Really, the morality of the people leading the nation is moot? Wow.

Exactly how do you get a "responsible" politician on economic matters that is a lier and a cheat? How exactly do you get one without the other?

How exactly do you get anything "responsible" out of a person that is irresponsible? I mean I'm speeachless here...

I do not hold politicians up on a pedestal. They are people and do everything people do. And lot's of people cheat on their spouse. Look at Clinton... he didn't do anything a lot of people have not done... but I have never cheated on any woman I was with. While I do not care about his sex life... are you telling me, that I can't expect the POTUS to honor his marital vows he took? You are telling me, that he can't control himself for 8 years while running the country? You are telling me, that I should not be worried, that the man that is in control of thousands of nuclear warheads, does not have enough self control to not boink some chick in the Oval Office????

Wow... just WOW.

The fact that he did it does not suprise me, or bother me.... the fact that he is running... because he can actually win office again blows my mind. Spitzer is re-elected after loosing his mind. Berry is re-elected after smoking crack. And we wonder what is wrong in this country.

Edited by powerman 2013-07-25 11:43 AM
2013-07-25 11:40 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Originally posted by Hook'em

I assume you are speaking of a hypothetical fiscally responsible politician and not Weiner specifically.

Correct. My point is that I don't care what the guy does in his own time. Vote on his platform. I'm not even American but ALL citizens face these problems in there respective countries. Canada included.

How a candidate conducts himself in his private life directly reflects the character of that candidate.

So you are saying character doesn't matter as long a the candidate votes your interests?

If you are a DB in your private life I am pretty sure you'll be a DB in your public one. And frankly, I don't want DBs representing my interests.

2013-07-25 11:45 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I agree with you 100%. I think in Weiner's case, though, his transgressions represented a level of arrogance, entitlement and sheer stupidity that I wouldnt want in an elected official, regardless of what I thought of his platform.

And anyway, texting scandals aside, I'd never vote for the guy, because of this:

"When I become mayor, you know what I’m going to spend my first year doing? I’m going to have a bunch of ribbon-cuttings tearing out all of your f****** bike lanes." —Congressman Anthony Weiner to Mayor Bloomberg, during a dinner, in their few minutes of cordial conversation

Hey, pal, sending pictures of your junk to a 22-year old high school dropout is one thing, but you mess with my bike lanes and you're dead to me.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2013-07-25 11:45 AM

2013-07-25 11:46 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Elite
Boise

The sad thing is that politics is so disgustingly ugly that people who are truly qualified to run the government aren't applying for the job.

If I'm a successful business person and decide that I want to give back by running for office.  All of a sudden every sin I've had my life for the past 40 years becomes front page news across the land.  My wife and children are put under a microscope and every achievement I've ever had in life is question, minimized, and demeaned.

Yeah, I'll pass.

That doesn't even take into account any of the money or corruption in politics, I'm purely talking about good people not wanting to run for office.

Excellent excellent post.

So now my question is...is it the politicians fault...or the voter who votes on morality? tony just mentioned that in this day an age there is something probably documented on EVERYONE out in facebook land or some social media...perhaps a rude or racist comment..and photo at a party when you were drunk....

Put aside the crap, and vote on what counts. What matters. Economics...money. The rest can fall into place as it may.

The other problem is because all of these guys are lying scumbags, they merely change their platform to what they think people want to hear. So really, you can't even trust their platform.
2013-07-25 11:52 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I agree with you 100%. I think in Weiner's case, though, his transgressions represented a level of arrogance, entitlement and sheer stupidity that I wouldnt want in an elected official, regardless of what I thought of his platform. And anyway, texting scandals aside, I'd never vote for the guy, because of this: "When I become mayor, you know what I’m going to spend my first year doing? I’m going to have a bunch of ribbon-cuttings tearing out all of your f****** bike lanes." —Congressman Anthony Weiner to Mayor Bloomberg, during a dinner, in their few minutes of cordial conversation Hey, pal, sending pictures of your junk to a 22-year old high school dropout is one thing, but you mess with my bike lanes and you're dead to me.

WTF?

Oh, now, see, that gets him on the permanent d-bag list. 

2013-07-25 1:03 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by JoshR First off, everyone needs to see this picture (attached). Second, who votes for this guy? He has clearly shown that he is not capable of leading anyone or anything.
This just in.....

WEINER'S POLE NUMBERS GETTING SMALLER!

.....err.....'POLL' numbers....his 'POLL' numbers getting smaller. 

Dreadfully sorry for any confusion that might have caused. Innocent

2013-07-25 2:18 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

How incredibly sad. Really, the morality of the people leading the nation is moot? Wow.

Exactly how do you get a "responsible" politician on economic matters that is a lier and a cheat? How exactly do you get one without the other?

How exactly do you get anything "responsible" out of a person that is irresponsible? I mean I'm speeachless here...

I do not hold politicians up on a pedestal. They are people and do everything people do. And lot's of people cheat on their spouse. Look at Clinton... he didn't do anything a lot of people have not done... but I have never cheated on any woman I was with. While I do not care about his sex life... are you telling me, that I can't expect the POTUS to honor his marital vows he took? You are telling me, that he can't control himself for 8 years while running the country? You are telling me, that I should not be worried, that the man that is in control of thousands of nuclear warheads, does not have enough self control to not boink some chick in the Oval Office????

Wow... just WOW.

The fact that he did it does not suprise me, or bother me.... the fact that he is running... because he can actually win office again blows my mind. Spitzer is re-elected after loosing his mind. Berry is re-elected after smoking crack. And we wonder what is wrong in this country.

(Mostly playing Devil's Advocate here, since I think it's an interesting question)

Where do you draw the line, though? If you accept the premise, which I do, that no one is perfect, what amount of moral transgression is enough to disqualify someone from public service? Cheating on your taxes? Cheating on your spouse? Cheating on the golf course? What about having a problem with alcohol or substance abuse? Making a racist remark in a private moment that happens to be captured by a cellphone camera? Telling an off-color joke?

Spitzer, Weiner, Barry, et al aren't the only politicians who have skeletons in their closet-- they're just the ones whose skeletons we know about. So, it stands to reason that there are lots of other politicians who are doing bad stuff behind closed doors too-- we just aren't aware of what they're doing. Is it unfair that Spitzer and Weiner shouldn't get to be judged on their political records simply because we know about some extra-curricular stuff that they did? Frankly, Spitzer did a better job as governor than David Patterson who succeeded him. If I had to choose between the two, even taking into account Spitzer's transgressions, I would vote for him over Patterson in a second.

Personally, as I said previously, I wouldn't vote for Weiner because I think he's an arrogant self-absorbed d-bag and I thought that of him long before scandal #1 or scandal #2. The scandals, in fact, for me, just confirmed what I already believed about him. I was shocked by Eliot Spitzer's downfall, but not in the least by Weiner's. The fact that Spitzer took some time away from politics and has re-entered the ring looking for a much smaller position than Governor represents to me a level of humility and contrition that Weiner, by jumping immediately into the mayoral race, doesn't demonstrate at all. I still don't think I would vote for Spitzer either, but I'd vote for him well before I'd ever consider voting for Weiner.
2013-07-25 2:56 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

You're certainly on to something there... personality matters.  

"I want to say one thing to the American people, I want you to listen to me, I'm going to say this again.... I did not have sexual relations with that woman"  looking into the camera with that steely gaze, wagging his finger.  

Talk about lying to the American people, yet somehow that guy is held up as a role model and the hallmark of the democratic party.

2013-07-25 3:01 PM

User image

If you think you can trust any politician on moral grounds, I'm afraid your in for a life of disappointment. I don't want to sound like honesty and integrity are not important traits....they are. The reality, whether distasteful or not, is that elected officials are there to run government and inact legislation for the better of it's people. There morality is moot. Holding up politicians on a pedestal is just a recipe for disappointment over and over again.

I would trade fiscal responsibility and getting the books in order any day of the week for a moron who wears a tie, and doesn't text and drive, politically correct, eats his vitamins and says his prayers...

All you can do is hold them accountable for what they promise to do with your vote. If they don't follow through, you don't vote for them. If we continue to vote for our elected officials in the "court of public opinion..." well.....Detroit is just the tip of the ice berg...

Its time to start looking at the cold hard truth. Money talks, and b.s. walks. If by chance you get a politician who is economically responsible and (lol) also has integrity...great...but the latter should not be essential to the first.

I ran for office, twice. Once for State Representative and once for State Senate. During that time I have met and became friends with many politicians on both sides of the aisle.

I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of politicians are the most honest, compassionate, giving and hard working people I have ever met. The morally bankrupt ones are few and far between and don't stick around long because it is really tough to develop a base when you are an a$$. So my experience in politics doesn't conform to your statement.

Edited by Jackemy1 2013-07-25 3:23 PM
2013-07-25 3:15 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Jackemy1

If you think you can trust any politician on moral grounds, I'm afraid your in for a life of disappointment. I don't want to sound like honesty and integrity are not important traits....they are. The reality, whether distasteful or not, is that elected officials are there to run government and inact legislation for the better of it's people. There morality is moot. Holding up politicians on a pedestal is just a recipe for disappointment over and over again.

I would trade fiscal responsibility and getting the books in order any day of the week for a moron who wears a tie, and doesn't text and drive, politically correct, eats his vitamins and says his prayers...

All you can do is hold them accountable for what they promise to do with your vote. If they don't follow through, you don't vote for them. If we continue to vote for our elected officials in the "court of public opinion..." well.....Detroit is just the tip of the ice berg...

Its time to start looking at the cold hard truth. Money talks, and b.s. walks. If by chance you get a politician who is economically responsible and (lol) also has integrity...great...but the latter should not be essential to the first.

I ran for office, twice. Once for State Representative and once for State Senate. During that time I have met and become friends with many politicians on both sides of the aisle.

I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of politicians are are the most honest, compassionate, giving and hard working people I have ever met. The morally bankrupt ones are few and far between and don't stick around long because it is really tough to develop a base when you are an . So my experience in politics doesn't conform to your statement.

I would concur with this -- most of the politicians I've met are good people. Just like in any field, there are going to be a few bad apples out there. I am of the belief that most of the people who run for office believe they can make changes for the better and truly want to. I don't think most realize the enormity of the task at hand until they're actually in office, though, or how difficult it can be to cut through red tape.
2013-07-25 3:26 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Sous

"I want to say one thing to the American people, I want you to listen to me, I'm going to say this again.... I did not have sexual relations with that woman"  looking into the camera with that steely gaze, wagging his finger.  

Talk about lying to the American people, yet somehow that guy is held up as a role model and the hallmark of the democratic party.

And people keep electing Mark Sanford. People are stupid.
2013-07-25 3:30 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Originally posted by mr2tony

... and Mayor for life aka crack head aka the b**ch set me up Marion Barry.

2013-07-25 3:32 PM

User image

Pro
If you have ever voted in your life, you have voted for someone who has done something stupid.

2013-07-25 3:38 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn  (Mostly playing Devil's Advocate here, since I think it's an interesting question) Where do you draw the line, though? If you accept the premise, which I do, that no one is perfect, what amount of moral transgression is enough to disqualify someone from public service? Cheating on your taxes? Cheating on your spouse? Cheating on the golf course? What about having a problem with alcohol or substance abuse? Making a racist remark in a private moment that happens to be captured by a cellphone camera? Telling an off-color joke? Spitzer, Weiner, Barry, et al aren't the only politicians who have skeletons in their closet-- they're just the ones whose skeletons we know about. So, it stands to reason that there are lots of other politicians who are doing bad stuff behind closed doors too-- we just aren't aware of what they're doing. Is it unfair that Spitzer and Weiner shouldn't get to be judged on their political records simply because we know about some extra-curricular stuff that they did? Frankly, Spitzer did a better job as governor than David Patterson who succeeded him. If I had to choose between the two, even taking into account Spitzer's transgressions, I would vote for him over Patterson in a second. Personally, as I said previously, I wouldn't vote for Weiner because I think he's an arrogant self-absorbed d-bag and I thought that of him long before scandal #1 or scandal #2. The scandals, in fact, for me, just confirmed what I already believed about him. I was shocked by Eliot Spitzer's downfall, but not in the least by Weiner's. The fact that Spitzer took some time away from politics and has re-entered the ring looking for a much smaller position than Governor represents to me a level of humility and contrition that Weiner, by jumping immediately into the mayoral race, doesn't demonstrate at all. I still don't think I would vote for Spitzer either, but I'd vote for him well before I'd ever consider voting for Weiner.

You tell me... go take a few strokes off your golf card, then go cheat on your spouce or SO... let me know what she thinks about that.

You can't really be telling me you think there is not a difference between simple transgressions and betraying the public trust?

For the record, I have never cheated on a woman I was with. I have never used a racial slur. I have never taken a picture of my junk... let alone send it to sombody. Am I flawed... most certainly, I would not think to list my history here for all to judge. And no, there is no way I could hold public office. And no, I would not want someone with my past to hold office either.

People do bad chit. It's no secret. But people also aspire to be better people. They aspire to leave thing better than they found it. They hope that there is actually some good in this world. If we are all truely jaded and there are no good people or politicians in the world, then why do we bother to get out of bed? Why do we vote? Why do we even obey laws? Because there are good people. There is a difference between right and wrong. And most people do not have a hard time recognising the two.

Edited by powerman 2013-07-25 3:40 PM
2013-07-25 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

... and Mayor for life aka crack head aka the b**ch set me up Marion Barry.

Exactly. As I said, people are stupid.
2013-07-25 4:42 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
Originally posted by switch

Yeah, I'll pass.

Tony, it's Nebraska, surely there are enough former Husker football players in town who've been forgiven for past transgressions and can now hold office. Yes Weiner is an idiot. He is a repeat offender, which makes this tale amusing, and kind of sad. In this day and age of camera phones and facebook and instagram and other social media, though, how many politicians in the future will not have some photo of them doing something nefarious out there floating around for all the world to see? I think if he just owned up to it originally and said `Yeah, that's my c***. Who here hasn't taken a picture of their junk on their phones?' during the original scandal, he would've been OK. It's the lying that makes him a bad candidate.

I can't believe I'm gonna do this, but I agree with every, single thing Tony* just wrote. 

Everything except I don't think my husband has ever taken a picture of his junk with his phone; I could most certainly be wrong about that.

*ETA: Mr2Tony

That would make an interesting poll. 

2013-07-25 4:56 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Pro
You got to hand it to him, it will be a masterful stroke if he beats this and manages to pull it off.
2013-07-25 5:09 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhillyYou got to hand it to him, it will be a masterful stroke if he beats this and manages to pull it off.
Winning.

in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Originally posted by Jackemy1

I ran for office, twice. Once for State Representative and once for State Senate. During that time I have met and became friends with many politicians on both sides of the aisle. I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of politicians are the most honest, compassionate, giving and hard working people I have ever met. The morally bankrupt ones are few and far between and don't stick around long because it is really tough to develop a base when you are an a$$. So my experience in politics doesn't conform to your statement.

Yeah, they take all the morally bankrupt state legislators and send them all to Washington.

in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by KateTri1
Originally posted by switch

Yeah, I'll pass.

Tony, it's Nebraska, surely there are enough former Husker football players in town who've been forgiven for past transgressions and can now hold office. Yes Weiner is an idiot. He is a repeat offender, which makes this tale amusing, and kind of sad. In this day and age of camera phones and facebook and instagram and other social media, though, how many politicians in the future will not have some photo of them doing something nefarious out there floating around for all the world to see? I think if he just owned up to it originally and said `Yeah, that's my c***. Who here hasn't taken a picture of their junk on their phones?' during the original scandal, he would've been OK. It's the lying that makes him a bad candidate.

I can't believe I'm gonna do this, but I agree with every, single thing Tony* just wrote. 

Everything except I don't think my husband has ever taken a picture of his junk with his phone; I could most certainly be wrong about that.

*ETA: Mr2Tony

That would make an interesting poll. 

Kate! Kate! Kate!
2013-07-25 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly You got to hand it to him, it will be a masterful stroke if he beats this and manages to pull it off.

Well played, sir.Surprised

2013-07-26 2:58 PM

User image

Champion
PA
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

You got to hand it to him, it will be a masterful stroke if he beats this and manages to pull it off.

You wouldn't think it would be so tough to beat the Weiner.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Anthony Weiner Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2010
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
Doug was one of the few swimming coaches who really appreciated how important swimming technique is and would spend as much or more time with his athletes making sure they got it right.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?