General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports White Lake International Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside Out Sports White Lake International - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elizabethtown, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 32s
Overall Rank = 26/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/31
Pre-race routine:

Have been training for an iron distance race in late October and while high intensity training has been a part of my training regimen, it's been a small part of it. When training for races of this distance, it's necessary to add much more higher intensity training to do well.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Woke up at 4AM, took a quick shower, and was out the door. Arrived to the race at 6:15. Registered, set up bike, then talked to a few of the Sandspurs that were out there.
Event warmup:

At 7:35, went out for a two mile easy run. Added a few strides toward the end of the run. Everything felt loose.
Swim
  • 31m 17s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Probably one of my best swims, which is sad. Felt like I was moving and I actually tried drafting. Don't know if that worked, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. I also worked hard at keeping form, breathing, and sighting.

While out in the middle of the lake, it was odd to look straight down and see the sandy bottom. It was kind of reassuring, to be honest with you.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. I am pretty sure I was not going straight.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Fastest in AG and 4th fast overall. Once passing over the swim/T1 mat, kept sprinting to the T area, put on helmet, glassed, and was running out. Cycling shoes were on bike.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 29s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 22.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out of T1 and jumped on bike, feet on top of shoes. Pedaled for maybe 1/3 mile before I was in the clear and got into my shoes.

Worked very hard at first. HR was sky high b/c of the swim and I felt like I maybe swam too hard. After what seemed like an eternity, was able to drop HR under LT and worked hard to stay a few beats under.

Was passed by 2 riders and swallowed up quite a few others. Effort was hard in that the wind was blowing hard until maybe mile 15-17? One of the riders that passed me (AG 25-29) had been drafting off me for a few mins. I didn't notice until I saw his shadow. At that point, I looked back at him, told him to pass or drop back, and then slowed down just a little to see what he'd do. He stayed back there for another minute, so I started to move left and right just to get him directly out of my draft stream, but always making sure it was safe to do so. Finally, he either rested up or had enough and tried passing me. I was hoping a marshal would be out and 3 times prevented him from passing me by speeding up. Finally, I thought to myself it wasn't worth it and let him go.

Came up on a female racing the Open category and we watched a pace line ahead of use (3 cyclists) moving along. I commented to her that was pretty blatant drafting and she agreed. I then chased them down and made sure I passed them fast and as far over as possible to prevent them from jumping on the back of my wheel. Drafting pisses me off.

When there were 4 or 5 miles to go, had my first gel and finished up my water, setting myself to run after the bike. 2-3 miles from the finish, I could see some other cyclist ahead, but started to feel gassed and decided to not chase them down. I couldn't tell if the drafter was among those up front.

"I'll see you on the run", I said to myself as I pulled feet out of shoes. Clean dismount maybe 2-3 feet before the dismount line.

NOTE: Bike tuneup by LBS was off and I could not shift properly for the entire ride. I could not get into my normal gear and every time I shifted there was clacking and clicking. B/c bottom bearings went out right before the race, didn't have time to properly test bike and that came back and bit me in the arse.

For races of this duration, need to work on higher intensity workloads.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

had to put socks on b/c my running shoes tear up feet.

No socks, but need to try different running shoes.
Run
  • 38m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out onto the course and noticed my Garmin was still in BIKE mode. Damnit! I thought I had been pushing the LAP button (MULTISPORT mode). Didn't get to RUN mode until maybe .15 (or more) into the run.

Started to chase down and pass runners. Started off at 6min/mi and felt like I could prob hold this effort for the duration. After the first mile, had to back it off just a tad (15 secs a mile) to make sure I could hold that pace. It didn't help that you'd suck in a mouthful of gnats (or whatever bugs they were) in a few spots where they were swarming around.

Passed the drafter in the first mile. He was running strong, but I made sure to speed up a little and make the pass. Too bad he wasn't in my AG.

While close to mile 3, came up on two 30-34 AGers that were running together. As I passed them, I kind of joked that I was bummed neither of them were in my AG...with a smile. The d00d in the back laughed, but the front guy was either annoyed or had his game face on.

Kept going hard, using ice towels on my head to cool off and drinking water at every station. They felt great and wearing a visor, instead of a hat, REALLY helped in that I could squeeze the cold water on my head and it'd pool for a second or two, then come down the sides. I'll only use visors from this point on.

Finished up, then hung out with Steve and the rest of the Sandspurs.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate, drank, talked, and enjoyed the weather while hanging out. Good time at White Lake

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind on the bike course and my bike. Took my bike in to get fixed 2 weeks ago and received it the night BEFORE the race b/c of errors in orders by LBS. The entire ride, I could not get in my favorite gear and the chain clinked and clacked for the entire ride.

Event comments:

Very good race. Low key, but SPEED shows up to race here. Very strong competitors, especially in my AG!

Last updated: 2013-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:17 | 1500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/31
Overall: 79/
Performance: Good
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Triangular course with a deepish (up to your armpits) start. After you exit the swim, you still have a longish run to T1. Half of that run is included as part of the swim, which can be another 30-60 seconds, depending on how fast you run on the dock and through the grass.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:29 | 27.96 miles | 22.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/31
Overall: 33/
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Flat, windy course. For the most part, the course is above average, but there are some very rough patches in which you'll be bouncing all over the place. None of the turns are bad and you can take them in aero. A few patches of rubble around the corners, but nothing too bad.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:42 | 06.21 miles | 06m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/31
Overall: 8/
Course: Out and back along highway. No shade after the first 1/10th mile. Aid stations ever 1 mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-07 4:11 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Inside Out Sports White Lake International

2013-09-07 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4849605

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Inside Out Sports White Lake International
Jesu Cristu - look at the bike and run splits!

At most races, a 38 min 10k pretty much guarantees an AG win...speed most definitely showed up at your race!

Nice predictor of yor day to come at B2B.
2013-09-10 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4849605

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Inside Out Sports White Lake International
Very nice race. Great swim and rock solid on the run. See you in about a month.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports White Lake International Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Inside Out Sports White Lake International 2010

Started by DougRob
Views: 3348 Posts: 19

2010-09-15 6:55 PM halfpint

Started by titeloops
Views: 1491 Posts: 3

2010-09-13 7:22 AM BamaDC

Started by yeszir1
Views: 1746 Posts: 4

2010-09-12 9:11 PM keyone

Inside Out Sports White Lake International featuring Club Wars 2009

Started by FeManAZ
Views: 1572 Posts: 1

2009-09-18 12:52 PM FeManAZ

Inside Out Sports White Lake International featuring Club Wars 2009

Started by canadarn2001
Views: 1534 Posts: 1

2009-09-13 10:26 PM canadarn2001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : September 15, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
While adequate protein is important in your sports diet, protein should take its place as the accompaniment to carbs (grains, fruits, vegetables) in each meal and snack.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout