General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your favorite triathlon and what makes it memorable Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-19 12:05 PM

User image

New user
South Central PA
Subject: What's your favorite triathlon and what makes it memorable
What is your favorite triathlon? It can be any distance. What is it that makes it unique and memorable to you?

(This question has probaby been asked before, but thought I'd ask again)

2013-09-19 12:30 PM
in reply to: Kenny-A

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: What's your favorite triathlon and what makes it memorable

My favorite is probably Silverman here in Vegas.  Great swag, tough course, local.  IM AZ because I did it with friends a couple times.

Escape from Alcatraz is probably my most memorable just because of how cool, unique it is.  If it wasn't so hard to get in and expensive, I would do that every year.

2013-09-19 12:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Homer here, but I love Kansas 70.3 - it is everything quintessential about Kansas from riding through peaceful fields and some challenging hills, to running through an amazingly-crowd-supported campground for 13.1 miles. Plus you can camp just outside of transition the whole weekend, making logistics super easy and inexpensive. The weather is unpredictable but that just adds an element of excitement

It's just outside of Lawrence (home to the University of Kansas), a quaint college town with local breweries and fun boutiques. Really lovely town.

I've done this race 5 out of the last 6 years and it never gets old.

Edited by lisac957 2013-09-19 12:45 PM
2013-09-19 1:24 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
My two favorites are the Big Kahuna Half Iron distance in Santa Cruz and IM Arizona.

Big Kahuna, I love the swim. You start on one side of the pier in Santa Cruz and swim out around it to come out the other side. When you get to the turn around of the swim, you can look back at the pier and all of the Santa Cruz boardwalk. Very unique view! Plus, the salt water makes me feel fast!

IM Arizona will always be a favorite. First IM, and you never forget your first, do you.
2013-09-19 1:30 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
IM Wisconsin. Best Crowd/volunteers of any race I've done. Climbing the hills you feel like you are in the tour!!
2013-09-19 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri
The Trinona. Just an all around fun race. And "that" hill.

Second choice: Chicago, just because it is so big

2013-09-19 2:27 PM
in reply to: TriBoilermaker

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Originally posted by TriBoilermaker IM Wisconsin. Best Crowd/volunteers of any race I've done. Climbing the hills you feel like you are in the tour!!

Yep.  It's so great to have an International race of this caliber in my back yard!

The volunteers are outstanding and supportive, the fan support along most of the course are unreal, and I can train on the course anytime.

2013-09-19 2:52 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Family obligations keep me close to home, but I think even if I could travel, I would still have a soft spot for the locals. Last year's Taylorsville Lake 70.3 here in north/central KY had 37 participants. No tubs of icy sponges, but I had a great time, and met a handful of people I'll be sure to say hi to next time I see them.
2013-09-19 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4859332

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Savageman. Swag meh. Views great. Support awesome. The wall incredible. Difficulty beyond belief. Killer Miller devastating. Getting your brick...priceless.

But don't try it because you are too scared.
2013-09-19 6:27 PM

User image

I've only done a few but my favourite was Gravenhurst, Ontario. The swim starts with you boarding a steamship (the oldest operating steam driven vessel in N. America) which takes you out into beautiful Lake Muskoka and jump off the ship and swim straight back to the wharf. The bike and the run are scenic too.
2013-09-19 6:38 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Originally posted by pga_mike

Savageman. Swag meh. Views great. Support awesome. The wall incredible. Difficulty beyond belief. Killer Miller devastating. Getting your brick...priceless.

X2. Imlp would come in second

2013-09-19 6:52 PM
in reply to: jcnipper

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jcnipper
Originally posted by pga_mike Savageman. Swag meh. Views great. Support awesome. The wall incredible. Difficulty beyond belief. Killer Miller devastating. Getting your brick...priceless. But don't try it because you are too scared.

x3.  Savageman is awesome.  I've only raced it once in 2011, but I'm thinking about going back next year, because it was that good.

My other favorite is Musselman.  I've raced it the last 4 years, and plan on doing it again next year.  Great swag.  Great course, including the only swim I've ever done that's like two swims in one - The first half is out in Lake Seneca, so the water is cool, and can be a little choppy.  The second half is through a canal on water smooth as glass with a slight tail current and temperatures that can be noticeably warmer than the lake.  Amazing organization by the race director, Jeff Henderson, with impressive attention to details, such as a pre-race athlete meeting in an old opera house and sweeping all 56 miles of the bike course, and partnering with Geneva Bike Center who goes through transition during the swim and fixes any flat tires they find before the swimmers enter T1.

2013-09-19 6:53 PM
in reply to: jcnipper

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

Originally posted by pga_mike

x3 Until this last weekend, IMMOO was my favorite.
2013-09-20 10:54 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

New user
South Central PA
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by pga_mike Savageman. Swag meh. Views great. Support awesome. The wall incredible. Difficulty beyond belief. Killer Miller devastating. Getting your brick...priceless. But don't try it because you are too scared.

x3.  Savageman is awesome.  I've only raced it once in 2011, but I'm thinking about going back next year, because it was that good.

My other favorite is Musselman.  I've raced it the last 4 years, and plan on doing it again next year.  Great swag.  Great course, including the only swim I've ever done that's like two swims in one - The first half is out in Lake Seneca, so the water is cool, and can be a little choppy.  The second half is through a canal on water smooth as glass with a slight tail current and temperatures that can be noticeably warmer than the lake.  Amazing organization by the race director, Jeff Henderson, with impressive attention to details, such as a pre-race athlete meeting in an old opera house and sweeping all 56 miles of the bike course, and partnering with Geneva Bike Center who goes through transition during the swim and fixes any flat tires they find before the swimmers enter T1.

Glad to hear Savageman was several members favorite tri. I've also heard others comment on Musselman being a great race and I plan to put that on my "to do" list for next year. That's one that my wife will go along on so we can do a mini vacation in wine country.
2013-09-20 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I really enjoy the Hy Vee Triathlon in Des Moines Iowa on the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend.  Huge number of participants.  Professionals racing on the same course for a big cash payout (Gomez, Hunter Kemper, Cameron Dye, Macca, etc have been there).  US Championship race.  Age Group Race.  Kids race on the Saturday before.  It's a festival of triathlon awesomeness!!!

Good SWAG too including a back pack, jersey, hat / visor and a ton of free bee's after in the athlete support area.  The volunteers show up in masses.  I think there were 20-30 per run station, and the on course support is awesome. 

The event is constantly trying to improve itself and listens to the athlete's suggestions year after year.

Plus, it's in Iowa.  C'mon, we are known as the "Triathlon Mecca of The United States".  (I may have just made that part up).

2013-09-20 12:40 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
IMCdA. My first IM. Beautiful venue, great support (the whole town seems to get into the race), and awesome hosts at the B&B we stayed at.

2013-09-20 1:19 PM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
After much deliberation, I think I have to go with The Rev3 Quassy Oly, but it was close between that one and the NYC Tri.

Quassy is a tough race, but the course is scenic, the post-race activities (Cookout with burgers and hotdogs and free tickets to the amusement park) are awesome, especially if you bring your family to the race. The swag and the the gear for sale is always nice. There isn't much in the way of spectators along the course, but the finish line area is always packed.

NYC Tri has the best crowd support I've ever seen in a short-course race, and it's amazing in its own right in a bunch of different ways, but if I could only do one or the other, I'd pick Rev3. If I had never done either one, though, I'd do NYC first, because as an "experience" it's better than Quassy.

2013-09-20 1:31 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

This is my favorite one that I've never done!  Been watching too many YouTube videos of it lately.

My favorite to date was a local Sprint where I won my AG.  It was my perfect race start to finish, best swim, best T1 & T2, fastest bike (at the time), and fastest run splits.  Perfect weather made for perfect conditions start to finish.

2013-09-20 1:48 PM
in reply to: halfmarathondon

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by halfmarathondon

The Trinona. Just an all around fun race. And "that" hill.

Second choice: Chicago, just because it is so big

I love "that" hill.
2013-09-20 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Kona with a close second of Ironman Cozumel. The location, course and crowds are amazing at both.
2013-09-20 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Triple T.
It's my favorite because it was hard and you race with the same people for 3 days and that develops a sense of camaraderie.

I enjoyed the scenery in the area as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your favorite triathlon and what makes it memorable Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What's Your Favorite Shwag From Your Tri Club?

Started by MelissaE
Views: 1019 Posts: 15

2007-01-11 9:32 AM running2far

What's your favorite?

Started by iwantotri
Views: 982 Posts: 25

2006-09-26 9:56 AM mcbill98

What's Your Favorite Workout? Pages: 1 2

Started by triman50
Views: 1128 Posts: 29

2005-07-13 1:36 PM So Fresh So Clean

Energy bars-- what's your favorite? Pages: 1 2

Started by Cgirl
Views: 1622 Posts: 28

2004-05-31 9:30 PM run262x10

what's your favorite? Pages: 1 2

Started by I_tri
Views: 1440 Posts: 32

2004-05-28 2:42 PM crpadiem
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : November 16, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.
date : May 5, 2009
author : FitWerx
Having trouble shifting? Is your chain not going to the next gear properly? Is it making too much noise? This video will go through some adjustments to your front and rear derailleurs.

date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.
date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.
date : September 11, 2004
author : Total Immersion
How to improve continuously…no matter how long you swim.

date : September 11, 2004
author : Total Immersion
The essentials of stroke count with respect to freestyle swimming.