General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM -- eagleman vs timberman vs syracuse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-03 11:32 AM

Subject: First HIM -- eagleman vs timberman vs syracuse
Hello

I am looking to signup for my first HIM for next summer. I live in the NYC area so was checking out events within reaonable driving distance. I came across Eagleman, Timberman, and the Syracuse Half and would be greatly appreciative if any BT'ers had any thoughts/opinions around which is best overall event, and which one might be best for someone looking to get their first HIM under their belt?

Thanks a lot

2013-10-03 11:38 AM
in reply to: MatthuJ

User image

Subject: RE: First HIM -- eagleman vs timberman vs syracuse
Eagleman - Flat and hot as hell pretty much every time
Timberman - Hilly as all get out. Was pretty as hell and the water was cold the year I did it.

2013-10-03 11:55 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Are you set on IM branded 70.3s?  There are many very good HIMs that are even closer to you.
2013-10-03 12:04 PM

great question...

my original thinkng was to only look at IM branded races, working on the assumption that these events would provide the best overall experience.

However, I am certainly open to signing up for any other half distance races in the Northeast that could be deemed comparable, if not better, than the ironman branded ones.

Thx
2013-10-03 12:06 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
I don't know those, but you might want to check out Toughman out of Croton. If I remember, they even had optional packet pickup at Paragon Sports in NYC. Between that and train access, it doesn't get much more NYC friendly than that. Plus I thought it was a great event.
2013-10-03 3:30 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Another option is the Mighty Moss, that was pretty fun.

2013-10-03 10:33 PM
in reply to: #4870094

User image

None in out are are "easy". They al have their unique challenges.

Toughman out of Croton NY is incredibly well run and very close. A tough run. Super volunteers. You won't be disappointed.

Another fantastic event is the Rev3 Quassy in CT. I personally think Rev3 puts on the best events. I've done this 3 years. However, it's a very hilly bike and run. It's a badge of honor race for sure. A lot of the run is in the shade. The lake is beautiful and your family can hang at the park while you race.

I've never done Eagleman but heard there can be serious jellyfish in the bay.

I'm doing Syracuse in the spring because its a big event for my Tri Club this year. Its a smaller town feel and well run. There is a solid hill on the bike. Then I'm doing the aforementioned Toughman in September.

Just pick one and do it. Lots of good choices. Good luck.
2013-10-04 9:25 AM
in reply to: dswezey

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. im going to look into some of the other races you guys mentioned..staying more local does have its merits!
2013-11-19 1:12 PM

User image

I did Timberman this August - it was also my first HIM. It was brutally hilly. My best portion is the run because I'm a marathoner, and the run was hilly but I didn't have an issue with that. The bike was brutal for me. I don't bike well and the hills were really tough - the first 11 miles and the last 11 miles were BRUTAL (by my estimation), inbetween were some decent rollers, as well. Also it was open to traffic which got very close at times, and made me nervous! Bike was boring and unscenic, but the run was gorgeous and the town support was awesome. Lake Winnepesaukee is beautiful and clear - got a bit choppy, but nothing too bad. I enjoyed this race, but if you're not great on hilly bikes, don't do this one. I registered for Raleigh this Summer, which seems to be a little less hilly (rollers but not real serious climbs like in Timberman). A friend of mine did Syracuse and said the bike was also pretty hilly - Eagleman is good, but like someone else said, I've heard a lot of bad things about the jellyfish! Good luck, whatever you decide! I have to say New Hampshire is one of my favorite places I've been to race, it's so beautiful there so if you go, stay a few extra days.
2013-11-19 1:19 PM
in reply to: Tinaruns

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
non IM brand that I chose for 2014

Patriot Half in MA in June http://www.sunmultisportevents.com/Patriot_Half.htm
pumpkinman in Maine in Sept http://pumpkinmantriathlon.com/
2013-11-19 1:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

How about the Musselman?  It's in Geneva NY on Seneca Lake, beautiful site and a well run race.  It's just~ 5 hours from NYC up that pretty Rt 17 (or whatever they are calling it now...).

ETA:  And you get wine for AG awards

Edited by momandmd 2013-11-19 1:48 PM

2013-11-19 1:50 PM
in reply to: momandmd

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Step up and shoot the moon -- Savageman.
2013-11-19 3:04 PM

User image

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
I am looking to do my first 70.3 next year too. I am thinking of Bassman in May. It's not far from Atlantic City, NJ and should be about an hour from NYC. Lake swim and pretty flat course. Not IM branded, but that's ok for me since this will be my first race at this distance. It's also nice and early in the season (for the Northeast). Bob
2013-11-19 3:15 PM

Hiya,

Same boat (looking for my first HIM).

I was considering Miami, and was going to use it as an excuse to vacation afterwards, but the Toughman in Croton was also suggested to me .

I'm now leaning towards that, especially since I am, like you, in the NYC area and the Ironman branding was described as over-rated (I wouldn't know, obviously).

Not sure exactly what one should be looking for

Keep us updated!

Paul
2013-11-20 8:30 PM

User image

Take a look at Mighty Montauk. I did the Olympic this past season and eventpowerli.com always runs a good race. Plan on doing both Toughman and Mighty Montauk 70.3 next season if I feel up to doing two within a month of each other. I have only heard/read good things about Toughman, one plus is the bike route is completely closed to traffic.
2013-11-20 8:31 PM

User image

Sorry - duplicate

Edited by djmtrier 2013-11-20 8:35 PM

2013-11-20 8:57 PM

User image

Waldwick
I will be doing my first HIM this summer also. I was also trying to decide between Syracuse, Timberman, and Rev3 Maine.
I went with Rev3 Maine, one factor being its a "team" race, and another that its probably a tad easier course then the other two choices, though I never really had any interest in Syracuse. I would have loved to had registered for Mt Tremblant but that is a little early in the season for my 1st half.
Good Luck
2013-11-21 8:14 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
One of the factors I used to help me decide was ocean swim vs lake swim - just saying if that matters to you, pay attention. I prefer to do my first in a lake and not deal with the current, salt water, etc especially since I don't train that way.

Ie: Rev3 Maine is an ocean swim but most of the ones I've found in the Northeast are not.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-11-21 8:17 AM
2013-11-21 8:27 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Falls Church

My first HIM was Eagleman.  So far it's my only HIM.  As some have already said, it is flat and hot.  Note that on a completely flat course (which Eagleman is) you get no rest whatsoever from peddling since there is simply no coasting downhill.  

I can't offer much other advice other than pick the one that has the most appealing aspects overall to you.  

2013-11-21 8:23 PM

User image

New user

I have done both Eagleman (2x) and Syracuse plus 1 REV3 event (Williamsburg). Deciding on a race can be tough but it all depends upon what you are looking for. If you want a really family friendly event I would say go with a REV3 race. Any race that allows you to run across the finish line with your family is great. As far as Eagleman goes, I did it in 2010 where it was brutally hot and the course is tough because it can be hot, windy and the run can be tough if you are not prepared for the heat. In 2012 it was actually wetsuit legal and a little cooler out. It all depends upon the temperature. When I did syracuse it was actually held in late September. They have since switched it to June. When I did it the water temp was 55 degrees. the hills start about 1 mile into the race and it is a tough one. The course is scenic and has some good rolling hills. The run now is a loop course where as in 2010 it was a boring point to point run. I am planning on doing Syracuse since I need the hills for Lake Placid IM 2014. Plus it helps that my brother is 2 miles from the starting line. I would say for your first one I would look into a race that is geared towards your strengths. Once when you finish you will be hooked and will start to find other ones to challenge yourself.
2013-11-21 8:37 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I did Syracuse the first year with the point-to-point run.  I have also done it with the latest run course.  The 2012/2013 run course is absolutely brutal.

2013-11-21 8:46 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Im wondering no body is mentioning HITS Triathlon Hunter,NY its only 2 hours away. Very cheap too for early registration

Edited by strykergt 2013-11-21 8:46 PM
2013-12-13 1:31 PM

Subject: RE: First HIM -- eagleman vs timberman vs syracuse (vs. princeton )
After 2 weeks of general inactivity, i decided to go through some BT posts for motivation for the weekend...I was planning on doing the toughman, but decided to head south instead to do the newly announced Princeton 70.3. Close to NYC, my parents live in the area, and on some level, excited that it is an ironman branded event...did anyone else nail down which race theyll tackle for first HIM?
2013-12-13 5:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-14 7:33 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: RE: First HIM -- eagleman vs timberman vs syracuse (vs. princeton )
Originally posted by Fred D
Word of advice, this race is expected to sell out in a matter of minutes, so be ready to register ASAP when it opens. Best of luck!

I decided to make Princeton my first HIM as well. Very close to home. I have to register while I'm at work, I hope I don't get tied up on anything at 11:55am. I know this race is in a prime spot for people out of NY and Philly, I am guessing that is why there will be so much interest, but wow, I wasn't expecting this thing to sell out in MINUTES. Interesting
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM -- eagleman vs timberman vs syracuse Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

New vs used, local vs online, rent vs buy - Wetsuits for Southerners with limited funds

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 1290 Posts: 5

2011-09-30 5:21 PM MacMadame

Run First then Lift weights vs Lift Weights first then run

Started by fireplug30
Views: 2641 Posts: 15

2011-09-30 8:24 AM xine2kgts

HR Training vs distance vs time vs...

Started by fester808
Views: 1612 Posts: 9

2009-04-15 1:29 PM fester808

Giant vs Felt vs QR vs Cervelo Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Newbie5317
Views: 7205 Posts: 65

2008-02-21 12:04 PM karhooligan

PowerTap vs Ergomo vs Computrainer vs ?

Started by TypeA Girl Pilot
Views: 1848 Posts: 18

2006-11-15 4:39 PM AusVirgin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.

date : August 31, 2004
GILFORD, New Hampshire (August 23, 2004) – After thunderous, heavy rains on Saturday challenged sprint triathletes to middle-distance-like efforts, Sunday’s middle-distance Timberman Triathlon (1.9 km