General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Decline of the BT community Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 11

2013-10-29 3:32 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Expert
Subject: RE: The Decline of the BT community
I have not been to these forums for a couple months, haven't posted much all summer. So it is ironic that I decide to log in and see this near the top. (or maybe not, it has been a very active thread).

After being a loyal part of the community for several years, I stopped posting much a while back. In general, I am just not a huge fan of sites that monetize user-generated content. e.g. You and I create the value, but then BT upsells products or generates great ad revenue. I want to be clear that I don't begrudge BT from chasing a profit -- they have every right to and I commend their business model. I just choose to not be a key contributor anymore.

I occasionally will post something here -- a quick reply to a question about a local race I know the answer to, perhaps. But I save my best work for my local tri club's board, which is also user-generated but not trying to monetize the community forum.

2013-10-29 3:32 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I have been on here since 2006? 2007? Maybe my profile says it? Anyways, a long time.

When the site went through the revamp, I stopped posting my workouts here. I would come here to post my workouts and in turn would post on the forums. I stopped posting my workouts because the new interface took more clicks to get something done. It has been a few months since I posted workouts here and they are all posted on Training Peaks exclusively.

I love the BT community and have for many years. But posting my workouts was my motivation for stopping by the website and now that I don't do it (because the new interface made it more complicated than it needs to be), I'm not around as much.

2013-10-29 5:09 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by Aarondb4

...then all we have left is the whackos and newbies.

Hmmm.  I'm not a newbie anymore.  So I guess I'm a...

Good post, though. (no sarcasm in the inflection there)

Haha, here in the whacko club we have spiffy name stickers and cookies at the end of the meetings, so it ain't all bad!

2013-10-29 5:17 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Originally posted by rdailey1

Originally posted by thebigb

Bring Bryan back!  

Seriously though, spot on.I enjoy this place but the reality is that I head over to ST when I'm really looking for specific, race themed advice.  I'll cross post here because there are a still a few super knowledgeable people here such as yourself, Shane, Colin, etc but the content really seems to be beyond "beginner triathlete" anymore.  I know it's all cyclical but it just seems off.  

One of the best threads that I can recall in the last 3 years that I've been on the site was the "ask a champion" thread that BrianCD started after his AG win at IMAZ. great questions throughout and excellent, well thought answers

• ...snip...
  • I have always appreciated this board due to the general tone being more positive and supportive than ST, but agree that the civility had declined. There are still great posters here, old and new, that I will continue to follow closely. 

I guess I'd just like to say "Thank you" to everyone on the board for making it what it is. 

Ryan

Which I find absolutely ironic considering that Bryan is ALWAYS willing to share experiences, is one of the nicest guys in the sport, and was banned from BT for, well, not being nice once.

He even spent time looking for someone he ran into accidentally at 70.3 Worlds this year (That knocked himself, but not the other guy out of the race) so that he could apologize again.

John
    2013-10-29 5:27 PM
    in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Originally posted by rdailey1

Originally posted by thebigb

Bring Bryan back!  

Seriously though, spot on.I enjoy this place but the reality is that I head over to ST when I'm really looking for specific, race themed advice.  I'll cross post here because there are a still a few super knowledgeable people here such as yourself, Shane, Colin, etc but the content really seems to be beyond "beginner triathlete" anymore.  I know it's all cyclical but it just seems off.  

One of the best threads that I can recall in the last 3 years that I've been on the site was the "ask a champion" thread that BrianCD started after his AG win at IMAZ. great questions throughout and excellent, well thought answers. i think it's OK to have the same questions come up from time to time, as information changes over time (like clinical research), new products come to market, etc. And with more time and experience, even the "old timers" from the mid 2000s may have new or different perspectives on their own racing and training. For me personally, I've just completed my third summer of training and racing. All three years had different goals. The first year was just about learning what the hell I was doing, racing sprints and Olys. The second year I went straight back at training (beginning in October even) to prep for HIMs. My fitness was much better, but with rapid jumps in volume i struggled much of the race season with injury (though was able to get through both of the HIMs without injury). This year i focused on OLYs again on much less volume. I had no problems with injury whatsoever, but my fitness had declined remarkably by the end of the summer. Now i've signed up for IMWI and know that I have a lot of work to get ready for even the training. I will continue to check on TT, but will also spend more time in the IM forum as well. 

I have always appreciated this board due to the general tone being more positive and supportive than ST, but agree that the civility had declined. There are still great posters here, old and new, that I will continue to follow closely. 

I guess I'd just like to say "Thank you" to everyone on the board for making it what it is. 

Ryan

I remember that, it was IMStG actually, and I asked if he would do what Jordan Rapp does on ST here on BT, of course he said yes, he thought it was a great idea. So Bryan takes time out of his own life to help answer questions and guide those who are seeking advice and he gets banned. When that happened I knew it was the start of the "downfall" of the BT community. I don't think BT has been same since then and has lost a lot of great members. BUT it is BEGINNER TRIATHLETE so that needs to be remembered as well, sometimes this isn't so beginner friendly, IMO.

My final thoughts on this topic are this...Fred did a great job in bringing up a very valid point. Now that it has been brought to our attention we will see how we all act on it.
    2013-10-29 5:54 PM
    in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
    Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bcagle25 

... My final thoughts on this topic are this...Fred did a great job in bringing up a very valid point. Now that it has been brought to our attention we will see how we all act on it.

I agree, Ben.

Something else that I noticed is that Ron hasn't commented on this thread, unless I missed it, but he did PM me to clarify some comments I made about my use of the site with my Android phone, so I know he is reading it.  I suspect that he and the others who help run the site are getting a lot of great information from it, and we will see some of the ideas used to improve BT in future site upgrades.

2013-10-29 6:13 PM
    in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-10-29 6:18 PM
    2013-10-29 6:52 PM
    in reply to: TriMyBest

I guess I'll add my thoughts.

I've been around for a bit over a year.

Before the site overhaul I would use the mobile site on my iPhone. Now I never do.

I never really understood the point of the mentor groups. The idea is to post questions and concerns to a group of people for feedback. Isn't that what TT is for? Many months ago I made an attempt at joining a mentor group. I asked around and only 1 mentor group person responded to my questions. The other mentors never did.   Since many of the mentors didn't answer me I never looked further into it as it seemed like there wasn't any point when the mentor wasn't available to answer questions. In reading this thread and hearing about it from others, it seems like people got into mentor groups early and never left thereby always making that mentor group full. As more people decided to host a mentor group, there were more mentor groups that would fill up. Now it seems like there are micro BT forums within a specific mentor group so whats the point of using the general site when everything is discussed via a mentor group...

Don't get me wrong. It doesn't bother me that there are mentor groups. I'm trying to explain my observations.

With regards to quality of TT - I have noticed a decline of interesting things to read on the forums. I used to be able to read a bunch of threads and learn alot from them. Lately its been very unhelpful and alot of go-between of 2 people. Which, at that point said people really just need to move to a PM and continue their own debate.

Maybe there are some bad apples, maybe people are just having a bad day so they vent a little. Its just the nature of the internet. If you post on a public forum then be prepared for feedback, even if its not feedback you want to hear. It would be nice if everyone could be a little more sensitive, understanding, and not provoke someone in a more confrontational way, but you know... if this was possible then we would have world peace. Seriously!

I agree with those that also think there are too many forum options. For example, I am currently interested in participating in a snowshoe race and I have some questions. There is a forum for ultra runners and cyclist, but nothing else - not even a swimming section. (I dont understand the logic of seperating out SBR forums into specific sections when they are relivent to Tri) I'm sure our BT member do a lot of other activities and it would be nice to have one forum  to address questions related to races not Tri specific.

2013-10-29 8:42 PM
    in reply to: dmiller5

Veteran
    Originally posted by dmiller5

I have had an issue recently with the way the community answers certain questions. People will ask things like, which aero helmet is better, and half or more of the answers are, "ride your bike more and build the engine." It is condescending and doesn't address the OP. Answering threads that way absolutely kills and discussion about the actual question because the thread turns into a tangential agument. I think everyone would benefit from letting threads develop instead of killing them with anecdotal "facts" or sarcastic comments based on inside jokes within the forum. These things scare away beginners who might ask important questions because they feel like they aren't in the loop. (I know I felt that way when I first got here to some extent)

I also would love to see a bit of forum consolidation and removal of COJ topics from TT.

x2. questions asked rarely reflect the answers received - i.e. a question about the specifics of buying ultegra 6800 group set v. 6500. not one response answers the question, but numerous responses saying don't waste your money, why would you do that, you should be spending your money elsewhere. reality - the question is NOT how stupid would it be to buy an ultegra group set, but those were all the answers.
    2013-10-29 9:14 PM
    in reply to: sheesleeva

I started reading this thread and kept up at first, but am now several pages behind, so sorry if I am re stating someone else's views. Some of the other forums I am on, non-tri related, flame pretty hard for not using search functions which lead to huge indexes of threads about common problems or questions. I often find answers and pretty in depth reading by using the search function as well as google which points me back to this site. Maybe deleting or locking out some old threads will encourage alot of folks like me to post rather than lurk and read.
    2013-10-30 8:55 AM
    in reply to: KathyG

Elite

I agree...I used to have so much more interaction with people, since the update, inspires are just too time consuming to do. :_(

2013-10-30 10:20 AM
    in reply to: turtlegirl

Champion
    Dallas, TX
    Originally posted by turtlegirl

I agree...I used to have so much more interaction with people, since the update, inspires are just too time consuming to do. :_(

Exactly! The site was easier and much more streamlined before. Now it takes twice as many clicks to do the same thing... so I just don't do it anymore.

2013-10-30 11:34 AM
    in reply to: metafizx

Master
    Central Kansas

Originally posted by metafizx

I agree, facebook has made a serious impact to sites like BT (I'm sure ST has declined as well). FB is a WEED of the internet and sucks away our time, and focus for all misc forums, incl BT. I run a server and the forums have all taken a back seat to FB. They are still active, but have declined heavily IMO. It's so easy to create a specific FB group, forums have become almost passe. From my own personal experience, I used to spend a lot of time on BT, and found myself gradually switching back and forth between BT and FB. Also, I have to say the FB mobile app is very easy to use, for one thing. FB is akin to what other monsters have done, Amazon, Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, and Lowes. Yeah you visit your local store, but no where near as much as you once did. Who spends time on email these days ? Certainly not the way we used to depend on email...just another example. BUT is FB the total answer ?? HECK NO !!! We must fight to keep our specialty forums alive. I predict FB will die on it's sword. Times have changed. I still think BT is a great site and people try their best to contribute what they can. This thread hopefully will be helpful to guide BT back into this time starved world of ours.

I hope this is true. I look forward to the day when we say, "Oh, remember Facebook?" And everyone groans like when someone asks, "Remember disco?" What were we thinking???

As some others have said, I am involved in a mentor group, and I turn there for all of my questions. From time to time, I still peruse the titles in TT and in COJ. Sometimes I participate in a challenge.

2013-10-30 12:18 PM
    in reply to: turtlegirl

Champion
    Philly 'burbs

Especially if your log is private....

2013-10-30 12:37 PM
    in reply to: mrbbrad

Champion
    Austin, Texas

I've been trying to get my thoughts together on how to answer this question, because I think BT still has a LOT of good things, but there has definitely been a decline that I've noticed over the past year or two.  

I have no comments about the mobile site as I don't use it - but it sounds like some improvements would do wonders to help the community.

Previously there have been mentions of too many forums - and this is something I would also agree with.  The site feels quite disjointed when trying to navigate from one place to another.  

For ME, I don't post in TT very much, mainly because I don't feel like I've got any business answering the questions as I'm by no means an expert on anything other than getting myself slowly to the finish line.  I also tend not to start new threads (especially lately) as I feel like I'm just going to get shot down or completely ignored.  I'm one of the people who will post in TAN and I belong to a mentor group which is where 90% of my posts will be.  The mentor group is invaluable as a place for ME to feel "safe" in asking a triathlon related question and not made to feel like an idiot, or wait to see just how far off on a random, sometimes nasty tangent my original post will go.  

I like BT and will stick around for the foreseeable future - I've been fortunate enough to meet some really great people (including my husband) through this website, and I will continue to support it.    

2013-10-30 12:46 PM
    in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Sensei
    Sin City

It's a sad commentary that much of the running theme of posts is feeling "safe" about posting.  Inherently a problem with the internet and the safety of anonymity provides people to say anything they want.  People will say things and act in ways they would NEVER do in a face to face environment.

I would have hoped that a slightly more mature/sophisticated group such as triathletes could overcome that, but apparently not the case as many of the posters are observing/mentioning.

2013-10-30 12:54 PM
    in reply to: Kido

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

It's a sad commentary that much of the running theme of posts is feeling "safe" about posting.  Inherently a problem with the internet and the safety of anonymity provides people to say anything they want.  People will say things and act in ways they would NEVER do in a face to face environment.

I would have hoped that a slightly more mature/sophisticated group such as triathletes could overcome that, but apparently not the case as many of the posters are observing/mentioning.

I don't know about that.  I'd say just as many people get their feelings hurt waaaay too easily. 

2013-10-30 1:48 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

NC
    Originally posted by Left Brain
    I'd say just as many people get their feelings hurt waaaay too easily. 

Oh just shut up already.

2013-10-30 1:55 PM
    in reply to: Goosedog

Pro

Originally posted by Goosedog
    Originally posted by Left Brain I'd say just as many people get their feelings hurt waaaay too easily. 
    Oh just shut up already.

This is painful.

2013-10-30 2:01 PM

NC

Originally posted by Left Brain I'd say just as many people get their feelings hurt waaaay too easily. 
    Oh just shut up already.

This is painful.

Hug it out?

2013-10-30 2:04 PM
    in reply to: Goosedog

Pro

Oh just shut up already.

This is painful.

Hug it out?

Just more decay and decline.

2013-10-30 2:06 PM

NC

Just more decay and decline.

Like Rome. Or Gomorrah.

2013-10-30 2:07 PM

Regular
    LHOTP

Fred,

I want to make sure you're feeling the love after the decline thread.  It was a great thread that promoted a lot of interesting discussion, and I think a lot of  people are thinking about their behavior and how they can more positively contribute to the site.  I know I am.

There was no part of what you did in this thread that could be construed as "whining".  It does not surprise me to learn that you have read Carnegie or that you work in quality improvement at your hospital.  It takes good people to make change, and change requires more than just critique; it requires creative solutions and implementation.  Too often people can come up with the critique, but have trouble thinking of ways to solve problems and then implementing them.

I see you very much as a man who does all three.  It is probably one of the main reasons you are also such a good triathlete.

Thanks for what you did here.

2013-10-30 2:09 PM
    in reply to: mrbbrad

Elite

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Especially if your log is private....

teacher issue--gotta maintain some anonymity!

2013-10-30 2:36 PM
    in reply to: Kido

Master
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Originally posted by Kido

I once had a bad forum experience (different sport though, kitesurfing). I was very active forum contributor then, and at one point someone misunderstood a post of mine, and got very angry. Tracked me down and called me on my cell phone to harass me, making threats, etc.

It was kinda scary to say the least.
    New Thread
    CLOSED
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Decline of the BT community Rss Feed  

of 11

RELATED POSTS

Sprint performance has declined lately

Started by RookieIM
    Views: 775 Posts: 5

2012-04-12 10:04 AM brigby1

How awesome is the BT community?! Pages: 1 2

Started by JasenGuy
    Views: 2742 Posts: 30

2013-10-28 11:52 AM thebigb

Drastic decline in fitness!! : (

Started by acgibby
    Views: 745 Posts: 3

2011-06-07 11:59 PM acgibby

My Annual Christmas Gift to the BT Community

Started by stephen strange
    Views: 1471 Posts: 8

2007-12-19 1:57 PM chirunner134

new member to the BT community

Started by jcdenton2000
    Views: 652 Posts: 1

2007-04-11 4:55 PM jcdenton2000
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : November 5, 2010
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 0
    Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : June 27, 2006
    author : Ron
    Motivational and inspirational interviews of BT members beginning July 2nd, 2006
    date : June 25, 2006
    author : Team BT
    Decline Bench Press - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
    Sit-Up-Decline Bench Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
    date : January 29, 2006
    I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?

date : January 10, 2005
    author : trithis
    Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.
    date : October 10, 2004
    author : TSN
    Tri-a-new daily read online, with the UK’s independent home of triathlon.

date : September 5, 2004
    Out of this frustration, the first annual Denver Community College Triathlon was born. It was open to all employees of the campus, with a 30 dollar entrance fee for the campus scholarship fund.