CLOSED

of 11

2013-10-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Subject: RE: The Decline of the BT community

Originally posted by metafizx
Originally posted by Kido

It's a sad commentary that much of the running theme of posts is feeling "safe" about posting.  Inherently a problem with the internet and the safety of anonymity provides people to say anything they want.  People will say things and act in ways they would NEVER do in a face to face environment.

I would have hoped that a slightly more mature/sophisticated group such as triathletes could overcome that, but apparently not the case as many of the posters are observing/mentioning.

I once had a bad forum experience (different sport though, kitesurfing). I was very active forum contributor then, and at one point someone misunderstood a post of mine, and got very angry. Tracked me down and called me on my cell phone to harass me, making threats, etc. It was kinda scary to say the least.

Yup, had that happen to me and several others on another forum.

On this very forum I have received a threatening PM from a well known forum member, who still posts.  My solution is never to respond to or engage in any post that person starts.  I was not the only one to receive such a PM

It can be scary and people tend to take themsevles way too seriously

2013-10-30 3:00 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChrisM

It's a sad commentary that much of the running theme of posts is feeling "safe" about posting.  Inherently a problem with the internet and the safety of anonymity provides people to say anything they want.  People will say things and act in ways they would NEVER do in a face to face environment.

I would have hoped that a slightly more mature/sophisticated group such as triathletes could overcome that, but apparently not the case as many of the posters are observing/mentioning.

I once had a bad forum experience (different sport though, kitesurfing). I was very active forum contributor then, and at one point someone misunderstood a post of mine, and got very angry. Tracked me down and called me on my cell phone to harass me, making threats, etc. It was kinda scary to say the least.

On this very forum I have received a threatening PM from a well known forum member, who still posts.  My solution is never to respond to or engage in any post that person starts.  I was not the only one to receive such a PM

Wow....that's crazy.  That's not a decline in BT.....that's just a personal decline in rational thought process.

2013-10-30 3:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Wow....that's crazy.  That's not a decline in BT.....that's just a personal decline in rational thought process.

Yeah, that was not meant necessarly as a omment on Fred's thesis.  More of a comment on why some people may back away from posting replies.  However, I would not be surprised if the person of whom I write did not pass through the thoughts of those lamenting certain "troll"ish type posts in this thread.....

2013-10-30 3:12 PM

User image

Pro

Yeah, that was not meant necessarly as a omment on Fred's thesis.  More of a comment on why some people may back away from posting replies.  However, I would not be surprised if the person of whom I write did not pass through the thoughts of those lamenting certain "troll"ish type posts in this thread.....

Nah....I got how you meant it.......it's still crazy as hell.  I don't know......you're better off cutting and pasting it and putting it right out on the message board for everyone to see.  Light up the darkness ya know?  It works really well. 

2013-10-30 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Sunlight is the best disinfectant - which is why this has been such a good thread.

Sunlight should not be threatening to anyone.  If it is, you have to check what you've written (use the Headline Test, as in, "How would this look as a headline on a newspaper," cuz anything you put on an interweb or "on the line" can end up there).

Note - I'm not saying Chris should cut and paste a specific response (although I take LB's point) - that's an individual decision.  I'm just talking about how each of us could view our OWN posting.

Am I kicking the horse when it's down, here? 

Matt

2013-10-30 4:03 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-10-30 4:04 PM

2013-10-30 4:40 PM

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Sunlight is the best disinfectant - which is why this has been such a good thread.

Sunlight should not be threatening to anyone.  If it is, you have to check what you've written (use the Headline Test, as in, "How would this look as a headline on a newspaper," cuz anything you put on an interweb or "on the line" can end up there).

Note - I'm not saying Chris should cut and paste a specific response (although I take LB's point) - that's an individual decision.  I'm just talking about how each of us could view our OWN posting.

Matt

Good point, to you and LB.  I would actually normally bring that out into the light, however I don't trust the stability of some on the 'net.  And once you've had to explain to your wife why the "autocall" you've been getting at 3 a.m. came form someone that didn't like what you said on a forum, you tend to use a little more discretion.

Hopefully the point of this that you guys recognized is not derailing the thread - i.e. don't say anything on the 'net you wouldn't say to someone's face (which is ironic, given that I doubt Bryan would have said what turned out to be the camel's back breaker to anyone's face, at least not seriously)

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-30 4:41 PM
2013-10-30 4:47 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Bronze member

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

Yep, I agree.

My sig line is a personal reminder to me. It takes more effort and self control for me to try be positive and let some contributions go then if I would open my jaws with everything I really think .

I have my moments though too. The ACA set me off a bit......And sometimes I let things off my chest in my blog.

2013-10-30 5:15 PM

Sensei
Sin City

I think you are too sensitive!  Next time I'll just PM/Harass you on FB! 

That WAS crazy though...

Surely the mods could have looked at your messages or cut and past and forward for them to do something?  Or maybe not worth the trouble?

2013-10-30 10:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by LPJmom

I guess I'll add my thoughts.

I never really understood the point of the mentor groups. The idea is to post questions and concerns to a group of people for feedback. Isn't that what TT is for? Many months ago I made an attempt at joining a mentor group. I asked around and only 1 mentor group person responded to my questions. The other mentors never did.   Since many of the mentors didn't answer me I never looked further into it as it seemed like there wasn't any point when the mentor wasn't available to answer questions.

Not trying to call you out, but I am looking for a bit of clarification. You are not trying to say that you asked all the mentors? I am a Mentor from the Groups you could have asked and can say that you never asked me (Todd's Tri Turtles). I would have gladly answered your question or made sure that I found an answer to your question from a more experienced person or source. I further would have offered for you to join the group.

I have been reserving my comments and those of you that have read my post know that I'm one of the softies. I don't mind a good argument or debate, but don't want to do it here as I have to listen to enough arguing at my job. I can say as others have, that I have noticed more so lately that a lot of the same names continually post and for whatever reason it is, their post just seem instantly judgemental, argumentative, or dismissive (most have not and will not deny being direct, which I do appreciate). I think that one of the strenghts of BT is one of it's biggest issues as well. We have so many skilled, experienced, motiviated triathletes that are no longer beginners and therefore at times come across the wrong way even when their posts are intended to help. I'm not saying there rude or anything to that affect but they don't hit the mark and can scare some beginners off. Some times a beginner just needs to hear that they need to get use to running 3x a week, and not that they need to do 10 hill repeats, followed by 20 sprints, 5 x this and 5x that. I have read post after post about ST this and ST that and understand what everyone is saying but at the same time I don't. Why does this have to be more like that, I'm not on ST because I don't care for a lot of the elitest comments I have read when I went there. Yes it is in your face and that is fine, but not what I want at the end of the day. That said, I'm not going on ST. I conversly am not telling ST that I would like them to restrict comments and become calmer and gentler. I just don't go to it and have chosen BT because it is what I want. Even if you like both ways, then by all means use both, but don't try to make one into the other. Like I said and it is now obvious, I am a bleeding heart, I am kind, I find great joy and satisfaction waiting until the last athlete crosses the line to complete his or her journey. I also do not concern myself if they finished last because they were not prepared. If they ask I will tell them that they need to prepare better to ensure a safer, more enjoyable expericence if they didn't work at it. Have there been times on here that I wanted to say some of the things yall are talking about, certainly, but I also tell myself that someone might just need to hear it's alright to continue on a path towards a happier, healiter lifestyle. I don't podium, nor do I need to in order to appreciate my journey or the journey of others.

When speaking of Forums other than Classifieds that we think should stay or go, I say get rid of all that have nothing to do with triathlon or one of the three sports it includes. I'm on here for that, not my beliefs about government, abortion, race, civil rights, religion, or anything else to that affect. I also think that some of the discussions in those forums spill out into the Tri related forums because one person knows how another feels on a topic and give them that little jab, which is why me simple staying off them does not work. You give people some time on BT and they can likely tell you several people that have issues with each other, which I can't see being a positive for the site.

Also to address some of Fred's and others questions, the mobile version is less frirendly but I view as desktop and have not problems. Also the inspires and logging are more time consuming under the model.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-10-30 10:11 PM
2013-10-30 10:13 PM
in reply to: Kido

Expert
Greenville, SC

I think you are too sensitive!  Next time I'll just PM/Harass you on FB! 

That WAS crazy though...

Surely the mods could have looked at your messages or cut and past and forward for them to do something?  Or maybe not worth the trouble?

if you really want something done cut and paste the PM to the main board. the community will solve the problem for you.  that's been my experience at least.

2013-10-31 3:11 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by turtlegirl

teacher issue--gotta maintain some anonymity!

My log is semi private, and I simply prefer it this way.

Part of it is privacy, part of it is a very few select BT members who I have had issue with and I don't want them 'in' on my blog as I post personal and family stuff at times.

I have (almost) always allowed folks in when they have asked, and with mentor groups I have tried my best to add everyone in the group.

*I* would find it a challenge to Blog what I want here if it was fully public, but really I would just add a lot less detail as I don't really want to share ALL things with everyone and it would be ok I guess.

I do see how some would find this off putting when they try to look at someone like yours or my blog, but some degree of privacy is something I like.

If *I* were truly concerned about privacy I would just make the log truly private.... or better yet, I would remove myself from BT and stop posting lol.

I use the blog as my own diary, a lot less since the upgrade, but one thing I LOVE to do is go back 6 years ago and look up certain days or any random day to reminesce. That being said, I'll gladly take pm's and add friends once I have some sort of relationship started. I just don't need complete strangers (and my students) know my daily routines or innermost thoughts and feelings of the moment. Like, OMG I wanted to quit today...
2013-10-31 8:21 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Regular
One thing that I think is a big negative that I have noticed >> when someone new to BT asks a question that has been asked multiple times, many of the BT veterans simply say "that has been discussed multiple times here so do a search". That drives me crazy. This is a discussion forum. They are here to discuss not do a search. If all they need to do is search for the answer, they can do it from Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. Why come here?
2013-10-31 8:22 AM
in reply to: riltri

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by riltri One thing that I think is a big negative that I have noticed >> when someone new to BT asks a question that has been asked multiple times, many of the BT veterans simply say "that has been discussed multiple times here so do a search". That drives me crazy. This is a discussion forum. They are here to discuss not do a search. If all they need to do is search for the answer, they can do it from Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. Why come here?

I actually think BT does this FAR FAR less than any other forum I've ever been on.

2013-10-31 8:34 AM
in reply to: riltri

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by riltri

One thing that I think is a big negative that I have noticed >> when someone new to BT asks a question that has been asked multiple times, many of the BT veterans simply say "that has been discussed multiple times here so do a search". That drives me crazy. This is a discussion forum. They are here to discuss not do a search. If all they need to do is search for the answer, they can do it from Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. Why come here?

When do you see this? I think BT is probably the best forum I've ever been on as far as NOT getting that answer.
2013-10-31 8:40 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by Leegoocrap
Originally posted by riltri One thing that I think is a big negative that I have noticed >> when someone new to BT asks a question that has been asked multiple times, many of the BT veterans simply say "that has been discussed multiple times here so do a search". That drives me crazy. This is a discussion forum. They are here to discuss not do a search. If all they need to do is search for the answer, they can do it from Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. Why come here?
When do you see this? I think BT is probably the best forum I've ever been on as far as NOT getting that answer.

From time-to-time, I see it on questions around those topics that tend to lead towards the most arguments and thread 'derailments'.  Still, most of the time, someone else jumps in to offer an answer to the question.  And, yes, sometime leading to an argument or derailment.

For the VAST majority of questions, this does not happen much on BT.  Even those questions that have been asked, in some fashion or another, hundreds of times. 

2013-10-31 9:10 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Pro

Are there any questions that HAVEN'T been asked?  I haven't seen anyone not get an answer.

2013-10-31 9:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Are there any questions that HAVEN'T been asked?  I haven't seen anyone not get an answer.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

2013-10-31 9:20 AM
in reply to: msteiner

NC
Originally posted by msteiner

At least 6x/week. Mostly fast, sometimes easy.

2013-10-31 9:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Goosedog

"Get the one that fits"

Edited by msteiner 2013-10-31 9:23 AM
2013-10-31 9:24 AM
in reply to: msteiner

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

"Get the one that fits"

Build the engine

2013-10-31 9:29 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

NC
Originally posted by dmiller5

"Get the one that fits"

Build the engine

Lose weight. 8% BFP isn't 5% tubby.

2013-10-31 9:29 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

"Get the one that fits"

Build the engine

Aero trumps weight. Except when it doesn't.
2013-10-31 9:33 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

From time-to-time, I see it on questions around those topics that tend to lead towards the most arguments and thread 'derailments'.

Yeah I didn't think of that. I suppose I'm *sort of* guilty of it myself... like when I see a Xfit thread
2013-10-31 11:42 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

"Get the one that fits"

Build the engine

Aero trumps weight. Except when it doesn't.

Shower before you swim and always do flip turns.  

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Decline of the BT community Rss Feed  

of 11

RELATED POSTS

Sprint performance has declined lately

Started by RookieIM
Views: 769 Posts: 5

2012-04-12 10:04 AM brigby1

How awesome is the BT community?! Pages: 1 2

Started by JasenGuy
Views: 2733 Posts: 30

2013-10-28 11:52 AM thebigb

Drastic decline in fitness!! : (

Started by acgibby
Views: 740 Posts: 3

2011-06-07 11:59 PM acgibby

My Annual Christmas Gift to the BT Community

Started by stephen strange
Views: 1465 Posts: 8

2007-12-19 1:57 PM chirunner134

new member to the BT community

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 647 Posts: 1

2007-04-11 4:55 PM jcdenton2000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : June 27, 2006
author : Ron
Motivational and inspirational interviews of BT members beginning July 2nd, 2006
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Decline Bench Press - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Sit-Up-Decline Bench Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : January 29, 2006
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.
date : October 10, 2004
author : TSN
Tri-a-new daily read online, with the UK’s independent home of triathlon.

date : September 5, 2004
Out of this frustration, the first annual Denver Community College Triathlon was born. It was open to all employees of the campus, with a 30 dollar entrance fee for the campus scholarship fund.