General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike meltdown - what would you do Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-05 7:52 AM

User image

Subject: bike meltdown - what would you do

I'm having a bit of a bike meltdown and can use some guidance/opinions on the matter.

Essentially, I'm unhappy with my bike and my gut feeling tells me that the frame size is too small. The store I purchased from did spend a lot of time making bike adjustments, but in the end I think they guided me in choosing a bike that wasn't good for my geometry. At 5' with proportionally short legs (28” inseam) compared to my torso, I'm probably not an easy body type to fit.

I've located a bike fitter an hour away that isn't a retailer so I could get an unbiased opinion of best bikes for my geometry. They do a fitness assessment and use a Dynafit CompuTrainer fit bike with a spin scan.

Is a fit black/white or are they more grey? Ie, is my bike frame going to either fit me or not? or will it be not optimal, but useable and thus adjusted further? Do I attempt to put band-aids on a gun-shot wound or do I just need to try to sell my bike and invest in a bike that the fitter determines is the right geometry?

Further, if I'm going to buy another bike, do I try to buy an upgrade? I have Tiagra compact level componant bike. Would going to a 105 bike be worth it? Would switching to a carbon bike be worth it?

My husband thinks I should just get an 'entry' level try bike at 2000. That would be a reach of my targetted budget, but I'll swing a little extra if its the right thing to do. However, what makes me hesitant in going the tri bike route is simply that I'm a BOP racer. I'm working this year to be a MOP racer and I would be perfectly content with being a frontish-MOP athlete for my entire Tri career. I don't feel that I'm remotely good enough to be sporting a fancy Tri bike. Addtionally, there is a cycling community in my town so while I have not participated in any road bike races/charity events  so far, I can see myself wanting to do them in the future. I would like to have at least something to ride for these occasions.

Another option is to sell my current bike and use the money to buy a used bike off of Craiglist which may or maynot yield something equivalent to my Tiagra bike (I may end up with Sora for example) and then save up for a year to buy a nicer Tri bike.

Since Tri bikes have a steeper seat angle and short cranks, it theoretically seems like it lends themselves to short people (Is there any data to support this?) or maybe I'm just trying to rationalize why a tri bike is better.

Thanks

Edited by LPJmom 2013-11-05 7:59 AM

2013-11-05 8:04 AM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Subject: RE: bike meltdown - what would you do
If you had to be a FOP racer to have a nice bike, there would be a lot fewer felts & cervelos out there. If you can afford it while meeting your other obligations, why not get a bike with nice components & enjoy the hell out of it?
2013-11-05 8:09 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You need a bike that fits you period.

BOP or FOP everyone will benefit from a well fit bike.

What parts, what it is made of, are much less important.

How did you locate this possible fitter? I would suggest looking for a shop that does FIST fitting. Have you gotten any reviews or recommendations from other triathletes where to get fit? This is really the starting point for you and shop around to find best fitter that is reasonable distance from you. Find one that focuses on triathletes and has been doing it a long time, has a stellar reputation, will give you stack and reach and other specifics on your bike set up. . If you get a poor fit, you will not improve your situation much.

Have you done a lot of reading about bike fits on line? Have you read the articles on Slowtwitch.com  that explain bike fit in lots of details. Do that before you spend money on anything relating to your bike so you can advocate for yourself.

Fit is a bit like religion, everyone thinks their method is best. But the triathlete focused and developed fit protocals I think are more liekly to help you then read bike protocals that are adapted to tri bike fitting.

Spin cast is not a good measurement to use in fit.

If you got fit at 10 places would they all recommend the same bike or bikes? Probably not.

You will likely be best fit on a bike with 650 wheels inestead of 700s.

My recommendations:
1. Research bike fit process
2. Research bike fitters
3. Get fit and find out what your ideal stack and reach are
4. Look at what bikes would fit you best then make selection

Keep asking questions here on BT as many here can give you some solid advice and we want you to end up with a bike you love to ride because it fits you well.

2013-11-05 8:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

did you just buy it recently?  is it your first road or tri bike?  you might just not be used to how you are supposed to ride your bike yet (assuming proper fit) and not have the appropriate core strength.  my first rides on a road bike were INCREDIBLY uncomfortable, but i had a well sized and fitted bike and now it's flawless and i'm scared to mess with it!!!  how many miles have you ridden this one?

Edited by mehaner 2013-11-05 8:10 AM
2013-11-05 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
So many questions…. ?

(Disclaimer—I’m not a bike fitter or a fit expert by any means)

Bike fit is kind of a grey thing. You could go to several different fitters and wind up with slightly different measurements from all of them, especially if you yourself aren’t sure what an ideal fit is supposed to feel like. Bike fit also changes with your body—how flexible you are, how much weight you’re carrying, and how strong you are all can slightly change your fit, and those things can change within a season, never mind from year to year.

A really good fitter once said to me that 90% of bikes can be fit to 90% of people, so it’s possible that you just need to be re-fit on your existing bike. If you can afford the independent assessment, I’d say go ahead and do it. At the very least, you’ll know whether there’s a way to get a perfect fit on your existing bike. If not—if the frame really is too small, you’ll at least get a feel for what “best possible fit” feels like on your existing bike and then decide whether that’s something you want to live with or not. I got my road bike as a gift and wasn’t fit before the purchase. After a few hundred miles, I was afraid I’d gotten a too-big frame. Once I took it to an independent fitter, he confirmed that it was fine—I didn’t even need a shorter stem, which I was positive I was going to need. Like I said, it’s hard to know what a proper fit is even supposed to feel like, especially if you’ve never had one.

Regarding the new bike, I had just a tri bike for a long time, and I was perfectly happy with it. I did a bunch of group rides and centuries on it and although I always wanted a road bike, I was glad to have the tri bike for races. I used to think that if I only had one bike, I would have wanted a road bike, but looking back, I wouldn't have been as happy riding a road bike with clip-on's in races. Having to ride a tri bike in a century was a price that, in retrospect, I was willing to pay. YMMV.

Carbon is not going to make the bike fit better, so start with the geometry. I got a carbon road bike last year and my particular bike is neither feather-light nor especially plush. It’s a stiff frame designed for racing, and I love how responsive it is, but the ride itself is almost as rough as my aluminum tri bike.

If you can hold out a few more months, you’ll find some good deals in Jan-March as dealers clear out their 2013 stock. I paid less than $2000 for my bike, and it’s a carbon frame with 105 components. I would get an aluminum bike with 105 before a carbon bike with anything less, assuming they even make carbon bikes with Tiagra.
2013-11-05 8:32 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

DC
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

So many questions…. ?

(Disclaimer—I’m not a bike fitter or a fit expert by any means)

A really good fitter once said to me that 90% of bikes can be fit to 90% of people

Also not a bike fitter, but always has been my assumption.

2013-11-05 9:13 AM

User image

Exton, PA
If you buy a carbon fiber bike it will look faster sitting still! that's it. There are some advantages but most people would be just as happy and comfortable if they were fit on a good aluminum, steel or titanium bike. You will be very sad if you crash your carbon fiber bike put a nic in the side and have to throw away the frame.

I was in a sprint race 2 years ago and looked at the bike the winner was riding. It was about 10 to 15 year old steel bike 32 spoke box rims(probably 25lb bike) and still had reflectors mounted on it. Lesson: the engine is 90% of your bike.

Are you uncomfortable on your bike? Does your back hurt? Knees hurt? You may just need a slight adjustment from where you are now.

Tri bikes are now better for short people than road bikes are.

Deb was right, that you probably need to be on a bike with 650 wheels. You most likely also need to get cranks put on your bike that are shorter than what comes with the bike. I believe that all road/tri bikes are coming with one of 3 standard size cranks; 170, 172.5 or 175. Your bike most likely has 170mm cranks on it, however you would probably benefit by getting shorter cranks; I would guess 150mm to 165mm. Of coarse these are not easy to find.

You need to get comfortable on your bike, not necessarily buy a new one. Were you comfortable when you were first fit on the bike? Maybe you just need a small adjustment. It's amazing how much a couple mm of seat adjustment can change the feel. You may want to talk to the original fitter again and see what he can do, or go get a second opinion.
2013-11-05 9:32 AM

User image

New user
Kenosha
I'm 5"2' with a 29" inseam and ride an XS Trek Concept 7.0 with 650's. The XS is comparable to a 48 on the Cervelo, but the Cervelo had too far a reach for me. I had the fit done by a world class, Olympic medalist cyclist. The guy knows what he is doing...without a doubt. But, it took me months to get comfortable with my fit.

So a couple of things to think about before heading out to buy a new bike (this is strictly MY OPINION as I'm not a professional bike fitter). 1) How long are your cranks? My Trek came with 165's, so I switched to 155's. That gave me more clearance at my chest as my knees weren't come up as high. 2) Do you have a compact? If not, consider switching out the big chain ring to a compact. 3) What's your gearing? I ride 11/28. With my short legs, I don't have a lot of power, so this gives me plenty of flexibility without killing myself on the hills.

If you make any of the changes above....get a new fitting right along with it. When you go to shorter cranks, you're seat will need to be a dash higher and other tweaks will need to be made.

2013-11-05 10:16 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

I purchased the bike last year and have ridden a total of 536 miles on it. The place I bought it from has really nice staff and was very patient in adjusting the bike. For the first month of riding I would bring the bike to the store every week and tell them about my comfort issue and they would make an adjustment for me. "How does it feel?" How does it feel? - well, I don't know how its supposed to feel so what am I supposed to say!  I kept bringing the bike back every other week for adjustments for a few months, but It got to a point where whatever adjustment they made the bike never felt any better so I stopped trying.

In an effort to resolve the issues that plagued me, I took the bike back to the store after my Tri season for a fit reassessment. All I was told was that I need more core work. Really? Thats it? If I do more sit-ups its going to make the bike fit? After that response, I felt done with the store. Yes its true that you need time to adjust to riding and you need a strong core, but isn't 536 miles of training in 5 months on the bike + the winter months str training (specifically a lot of core stuff since I wanted nice abs after 3 kids) and swimming, enough time to say whether or not there is something fundamentally wrong with the bike fit, and not just about my fitness?

This issue has been gnawing at the back of my head for many months now so on and off I have looked into retul or guru or FIST or whatever else is out there. I even thought about getting a retul fit done while I was in vacation in FL because I was far from home and thus to avoid the sales pitch. Locally, Im only able to locate fitters who also are part of a bike store. My main concern was getting an unbiased opinion.  I live in the middle of nowhere so driving an hour to get to someplace is the norm.

Certainly I should do some more research, but how does one search for "fitters that won't sell me the products they sell".  I'm 2 hours from Lake Placid, a very outdoorsy area.  There has got to be good locals around who do fits, but how do you search for someone that isn't google-able. Its not like I can call the local bike stores and ask for their competition.

2013-11-05 10:26 AM

User image

Have you ridden any other bikes to see if they feel more comfortable?
2013-11-05 10:30 AM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Originally posted by cynner I'm 5"2' with a 29" inseam and ride an XS Trek Concept 7.0 with 650's. The XS is comparable to a 48 on the Cervelo, but the Cervelo had too far a reach for me. I had the fit done by a world class, Olympic medalist cyclist. The guy knows what he is doing...without a doubt. But, it took me months to get comfortable with my fit. So a couple of things to think about before heading out to buy a new bike (this is strictly MY OPINION as I'm not a professional bike fitter). 1) How long are your cranks? My Trek came with 165's, so I switched to 155's. That gave me more clearance at my chest as my knees weren't come up as high. 2) Do you have a compact? If not, consider switching out the big chain ring to a compact. 3) What's your gearing? I ride 11/28. With my short legs, I don't have a lot of power, so this gives me plenty of flexibility without killing myself on the hills. If you make any of the changes above....get a new fitting right along with it. When you go to shorter cranks, you're seat will need to be a dash higher and other tweaks will need to be made.

After doing some research on the web, I am thinking that part of my issue is crank length. I probably need shorter ones. I have a Shimano Tiagra, 10-speed, 12-30 cassette and a  FSA Tempo, compact crank.

Mostly, I feel cramped when I ride - that I am rounding my back so I can fit on the bike. If I open my hips up and straighten my back then my arms are bent in a way that I feel like I'm going to fall forward because my weight is over the handlebars.

2013-11-05 10:40 AM

User image

"I've located a bike fitter an hour away that isn't a retailer so I could get an unbiased opinion of best bikes for my geometry. They do a fitness assessment and use a Dynafit CompuTrainer fit bike with a spin scan."

Do the fit, see what they suggest, and go from there. Bring your bike so they can give you an opinion.

2013-11-05 10:42 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Originally posted by Dan-L Have you ridden any other bikes to see if they feel more comfortable?

When I initially went out shopping for a ride I tried a friend's 50 Trek and Felt from a store briefly. I don't recall the size of the Felt, but I knew it was in the same range as the Trek. The sales person had me stand over the bike and it was at my crotch as was the Trek. I rode 7 miles on the Trek and knew it wasn't the right size bike. I felt like the store was trying to clear inventory by telling me the Felt size was ok when I had a comparison of a bike that didn't fit.

Which is bad for Felt because they seem like nice bikes. It could have been the right bike as brand-to-brand measurements are different, but it was the fact that the salesperson didn't give me a choice and didn't bother to measure me.  I was so irritated that I left and never went back to the store.

2013-11-05 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I don't think crank length is key fit issue .....stack and reach are really key. Crank length can be a fine tuning issue.

Do you have road bike?

Crank length can make more of difference when riding in aero position on tri bike.

Having ridden less than 600 miles may be part of the issue, as your body hasn't adapted to riding.

Do you want to post a picture here on BT of you on your bike? Try to take it from the side even with you not higher or lower with your foot at bottom of pedal stroke.

2013-11-05 11:04 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I think a visit to the independent fitter is the right first step.  Although, I would find someone who will also adjust YOUR bike.  Check with the person you found if they will do this. If not, then I would keep looking. 

They will be able to either:  1) adjust your bike, or 2) recommend something that will work.   I would suggest you bring the specs from some bikes that are in your price range.   

There are many components you can still change, like cranks, stem, handlebars, etc.  Those all dramatically change the fit.    You would need to be prepared to spend a few hundred bucks over the fit, though.   You might also have to spend this on a new bike, too! No bike starts out perfectly, so I wouldn't view this as a reason to buy a new bike. Although, you can use it as an excuse if you want

2013-11-05 12:16 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by LPJmom

I purchased the bike last year and have ridden a total of 536 miles on it. The place I bought it from has really nice staff and was very patient in adjusting the bike. For the first month of riding I would bring the bike to the store every week and tell them about my comfort issue and they would make an adjustment for me. "How does it feel?" How does it feel? - well, I don't know how its supposed to feel so what am I supposed to say!  I kept bringing the bike back every other week for adjustments for a few months, but It got to a point where whatever adjustment they made the bike never felt any better so I stopped trying.

In an effort to resolve the issues that plagued me, I took the bike back to the store after my Tri season for a fit reassessment. All I was told was that I need more core work. Really? Thats it? If I do more sit-ups its going to make the bike fit? After that response, I felt done with the store. Yes its true that you need time to adjust to riding and you need a strong core, but isn't 536 miles of training in 5 months on the bike + the winter months str training (specifically a lot of core stuff since I wanted nice abs after 3 kids) and swimming, enough time to say whether or not there is something fundamentally wrong with the bike fit, and not just about my fitness?

This issue has been gnawing at the back of my head for many months now so on and off I have looked into retul or guru or FIST or whatever else is out there. I even thought about getting a retul fit done while I was in vacation in FL because I was far from home and thus to avoid the sales pitch. Locally, Im only able to locate fitters who also are part of a bike store. My main concern was getting an unbiased opinion.  I live in the middle of nowhere so driving an hour to get to someplace is the norm.

Certainly I should do some more research, but how does one search for "fitters that won't sell me the products they sell".  I'm 2 hours from Lake Placid, a very outdoorsy area.  There has got to be good locals around who do fits, but how do you search for someone that isn't google-able. Its not like I can call the local bike stores and ask for their competition.

500-600 miles is just the break in period for the bike, over a 5 month period is only 100 miles a month. I put 500 to 1000 miles before trying to make changes to my fit.

You have not really said what is uncomfortable. Road bikes are different than hybrids and comfort bikes you are leaning forward and it takes core strength to keep you stable. Sit ups by the way are not a good core exercise.

Is it painful or just uncomfortable?

2013-11-05 12:55 PM

User image

Originally posted by cynner I'm 5"2' with a 29" inseam and ride an XS Trek Concept 7.0 with 650's. The XS is comparable to a 48 on the Cervelo, but the Cervelo had too far a reach for me. I had the fit done by a world class, Olympic medalist cyclist. The guy knows what he is doing...without a doubt. But, it took me months to get comfortable with my fit. So a couple of things to think about before heading out to buy a new bike (this is strictly MY OPINION as I'm not a professional bike fitter). 1) How long are your cranks? My Trek came with 165's, so I switched to 155's. That gave me more clearance at my chest as my knees weren't come up as high. 2) Do you have a compact? If not, consider switching out the big chain ring to a compact. 3) What's your gearing? I ride 11/28. With my short legs, I don't have a lot of power, so this gives me plenty of flexibility without killing myself on the hills. If you make any of the changes above....get a new fitting right along with it. When you go to shorter cranks, you're seat will need to be a dash higher and other tweaks will need to be made.

After doing some research on the web, I am thinking that part of my issue is crank length. I probably need shorter ones. I have a Shimano Tiagra, 10-speed, 12-30 cassette and a  FSA Tempo, compact crank.

Mostly, I feel cramped when I ride - that I am rounding my back so I can fit on the bike. If I open my hips up and straighten my back then my arms are bent in a way that I feel like I'm going to fall forward because my weight is over the handlebars.

This part.

I have a road bike.

2013-11-05 12:59 PM

User image

ETA: just saw your response...

What size stem do you have now and have you tried a longer one (maybe borrow one from a friend)? Any chances you can post a picture or a video of your fit while pedaling on a trainer.

I am just a little hesitant to give you advice to get another fit or another bike simply because you haven't ridden the bike that much.

Edited by Jason N 2013-11-05 1:03 PM
2013-11-05 1:32 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to read the responses, but you think your frame is too small? I'm 5'2 with a 28" inseam and have shorter legs proportionately. I have never been able to buy a bike that is too small. I've always bought the smallest frame size that is available in the bike that I want. What bike do you have now? I usually use a longer stem than what comes with the bike to make up for my shorter leg, longer torso. 

Edited by jeng 2013-11-05 1:37 PM
2013-11-05 2:07 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by jeng

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to read the responses, but you think your frame is too small? I'm 5'2 with a 28" inseam and have shorter legs proportionately. I have never been able to buy a bike that is too small. I've always bought the smallest frame size that is available in the bike that I want. What bike do you have now? I usually use a longer stem than what comes with the bike to make up for my shorter leg, longer torso. 

I have to agree with this. My specialized Ruby was a 51 and that was perfectly fine for a road bike for me. As I mentioned, I'm 5'2" ... 29" inseam, so my legs are slightly longer. My bike fit included a shorter stem for my shorter torso. It also included slimmer bars, so my hands weren't so wide (for the drop). And, as I mentioned, I switched out my cranks. Someone else mentioned that different cranks on a road bike doesn't make that much of a difference. I can tell you that I felt the extra power by switching. But again...it's all personal preference and there are a lot of thoughts/opinions.

2013-11-05 2:26 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

I'm having a bit of a bike meltdown and can use some guidance/opinions on the matter.

Essentially, I'm unhappy with my bike and my gut feeling tells me that the frame size is too small. The store I purchased from did spend a lot of time making bike adjustments, but in the end I think they guided me in choosing a bike that wasn't good for my geometry. At 5' with proportionally short legs (28” inseam) compared to my torso, I'm probably not an easy body type to fit.

I've located a bike fitter an hour away that isn't a retailer so I could get an unbiased opinion of best bikes for my geometry. They do a fitness assessment and use a Dynafit CompuTrainer fit bike with a spin scan.

Is a fit black/white or are they more grey? Ie, is my bike frame going to either fit me or not? or will it be not optimal, but useable and thus adjusted further? Do I attempt to put band-aids on a gun-shot wound or do I just need to try to sell my bike and invest in a bike that the fitter determines is the right geometry?

Further, if I'm going to buy another bike, do I try to buy an upgrade? I have Tiagra compact level componant bike. Would going to a 105 bike be worth it? Would switching to a carbon bike be worth it?

My husband thinks I should just get an 'entry' level try bike at 2000. That would be a reach of my targetted budget, but I'll swing a little extra if its the right thing to do. However, what makes me hesitant in going the tri bike route is simply that I'm a BOP racer. I'm working this year to be a MOP racer and I would be perfectly content with being a frontish-MOP athlete for my entire Tri career. I don't feel that I'm remotely good enough to be sporting a fancy Tri bike. Addtionally, there is a cycling community in my town so while I have not participated in any road bike races/charity events  so far, I can see myself wanting to do them in the future. I would like to have at least something to ride for these occasions.

Another option is to sell my current bike and use the money to buy a used bike off of Craiglist which may or maynot yield something equivalent to my Tiagra bike (I may end up with Sora for example) and then save up for a year to buy a nicer Tri bike.

Since Tri bikes have a steeper seat angle and short cranks, it theoretically seems like it lends themselves to short people (Is there any data to support this?) or maybe I'm just trying to rationalize why a tri bike is better.

Thanks

A tri bike fitting (IMHO) is an absolute must. Basically you dynamically move the fit around until it feels comfortable and you have a good position aerodynamically. They then give you a list of points in space (I can post the ones from my Retul fitting for comparison if you want), and you play with all the stuff you want to match those points in space.

As far as "not being good enough" to sport a tri bike, that's a load of hooey. There are plenty of people at 16:30 of an IM that came off of $10,000 rides. If you do triathlon, and you can afford the money, no reason at all to leave any free speed on the table. Going from a road or suboptimal fit to a good fitting ride can be worth 1-3 mph on a bike split. That's some pretty valuable time.

Look around in the classifieds in various places, for example here is a 48 cm frame that would make a more relaxed fit tri ride for $900:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4839215;search_string=4...

And another frame/fork combo for $100 - http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4837833;search_string=4...

There's a few more on that site, just search for 650c (The wheel size).

If you need/want to post a WTB or inquire on any of them, let me know as new members can't PM for a bit.

John

2013-11-05 3:04 PM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Originally posted by cynner

I have to agree with this. My specialized Ruby was a 51 and that was perfectly fine for a road bike for me. As I mentioned, I'm 5'2" ... 29" inseam, so my legs are slightly longer. My bike fit included a shorter stem for my shorter torso. It also included slimmer bars, so my hands weren't so wide (for the drop). And, as I mentioned, I switched out my cranks. Someone else mentioned that different cranks on a road bike doesn't make that much of a difference. I can tell you that I felt the extra power by switching. But again...it's all personal preference and there are a lot of thoughts/opinions.

Yes on the variable thoughts/opinions and personal preference. Its nice to think out loud sometimes and bounce ideas around - hear all the feedback, which I appreciate from everyone.

Excuse my lack of bike information. Not sure why I didnt  post it earlier.  Specialized Dolce 44 size frame with Shimano Tiagra, 10-speed, 12-30 cassette and a  FSA Tempo, compact crank.

I can borrow a trainer and get some pictures taken, but I have a technical problem with that: How do you post a message and include a picture or embed a video file?

2013-11-05 3:06 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by cynner

Yes on the variable thoughts/opinions and personal preference. Its nice to think out loud sometimes and bounce ideas around - hear all the feedback, which I appreciate from everyone.

Excuse my lack of bike information. Not sure why I didnt  post it earlier.  Specialized Dolce 44 size frame with Shimano Tiagra, 10-speed, 12-30 cassette and a  FSA Tempo, compact crank.

I can borrow a trainer and get some pictures taken, but I have a technical problem with that: How do you post a message and include a picture or embed a video file?

You realize that not one of those things matters in a fit, right?  Even frame "sizes" can be wildly variable.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-11-05 3:07 PM
2013-11-05 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Take a picture from the side. Ideally while on a bike trainer but you can always get a friend to hold your saddle from behind to stabilize you.
On the side that the camera is facing, rotate the pedal to the bottom-most position. Sit like you normally side while riding (i.e. in your clip-on aerobars or brake-hoods or bar drops)

Fitting has enough gray-area that even if the frame is a bit too small, it's not that hard to make adjustments that will compensate - i.e. longer stem, slide saddle back or off-set seat-post, different crank length, etc.

Also, is the problem that you're uncomfortable on the bike (pain or pinch somewhere) or that you feel slow because you feel like position is not allowing you to produce full power?
2013-11-05 3:27 PM

User image

Master
PNW
I also have a 28" inseam...but to be even more out of proportion than you, I'm 5'4". This means my torso is significantly longer than yours and to add to the confusion, I rode a Dolce Sport in a 44 cm for a little less than a year. It fit me, I just didn't like it that much so when I had the opportunity to upgrade to my current bike (48cm Terry Isis), I jumped on it. I sold my Dolce to a friend who was taller than me, so this is my long winded way of saying that I seriously doubt that your bike it too small.

That said, there are a couple of things to think about. 1) stem length (like JasonN mentioned above) is going to be critical for you. if it's too short, it could cause the problems you are having. 2) handlebar width. I'm inclined to believe that the Dolce will come with appropriately sized bars, but drop bars that are too narrow or too wide for the rider can really cause pain. I can almost guarantee that the 44 cm Dolce comes with 165cm crank arms. Mine did.

Personally, I'd suggest that you take your current bike to the fitter that you mentioned and let them set you up appropriately. BUT, if you are looking for a reason to change bikes, then go ahead and change. I took my road bike to a very experienced fitter and she did some amazing things for me. I was a little afraid to go for a reason opposite yours...I LOVED my bike and I was terrified that she was going to tell me that it was all wrong for me or something! Luckily, she said I'd picked about as good of a 'stock' bike as I was going to find, so I was relieved. That was 5 years ago and I *still* love my bike. A great fit can make all the difference!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike meltdown - what would you do Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2102 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1656 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

coming back from a short meltdown

Started by JoshKaptur
Views: 1102 Posts: 11

2007-12-20 12:54 PM writers2

Build done! Bike Porn 8)

Started by jmcelroy
Views: 1498 Posts: 23

2006-09-17 8:36 PM jmcelroy

MIdwest Meltdown 8/1/04

Started by dgerdts
Views: 489 Posts: 1

2004-07-27 11:58 PM dgerdts
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"