General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When you are maybe feeling a little under the weather, do you.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-01 11:59 AM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Subject: When you are maybe feeling a little under the weather, do you....
Let's say you are feeling you might be getting something...maybe some sniffles or a scratchy throat, oraybe a little ache..do you..
A-work out as planned
B-work out but back off on the duration or intensity
C-skip it and get some rest..no need to tax the immune system

2014-01-01 7:10 PM
in reply to: JohnP_NY

User image

Subject: RE: When you are maybe feeling a little under the weather, do you....
Above the neck - still work out
below the neck - take it easier or blow it off.

2014-01-01 7:17 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I tend to be conservative with respiratory stuff since I have asthma and colds can develop into miserable hack and gasp fests.... I would probably take a day off, or very easy, to see if I can lick the bug outright. If it did turn into a cold but all symptoms were above the neck, and I felt up to it, I'd do easy workouts until I felt better. If it's a chest cold, I have a fever, or just feel "sick", I won't train--at most some easy strength and stretching stuff just to keep limber and not go nuts.
2014-01-01 7:26 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

I think I'd rest. Being sick during the winter and working out for me just prolongs it forever. During the summer, I think I could pull it off but I've learned it's better just to take a few rest days. I forgot to do this before my cold 2 weeks ago, but if you feel like you're getting a cold, take a bunch of zinc. It helps. Been reading up on it and zinc attaches to the cold virus and prevents it from attaching to your cells. Not a cure all but things I've read said it should help shorten the duration a little.
2014-01-01 8:08 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by DanielG

Above the neck - still work out
below the neck - take it easier or blow it off.

I usually agree with this however I have been sick since the week after thanksgiving and have run through it. I took some time off but it did not seem to help and I actually feel better when I am running (marathon training) and cough when I stop not while I am running.

of course it could be why it is dragging on....
2014-01-01 9:27 PM

User image

North Vancouver, British Columbia
C-skip it and get some rest

There is no need to make things worse. I usually take a good day or two of rest and go back to my usual routine.

2014-01-02 4:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I guess it depends how bad i am feeling. Normally just take it easy as my health is the most important thing. If i have a serious cold and cant breathe, running is out of the question since i cannot breathe good.
2014-01-02 6:22 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It depends on bad I feel… it's going to be either B if I feel ok, or C if I'm in bad shape.
2014-01-02 8:05 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Depends on the workout. Cold run outside and I'm already hurting, I'll take the day because sweating outside in the cold will only make me feel worse. Bike ride on the trainer I'll probably tough through it and usually end up feeling better. Swim, probably not do it at all so I don't spread the germs to everyone there.
2014-01-02 4:09 PM

C - I take a cautious approach. If I'm starting to feel sick, I'll bag it for the day The idea is missing one day now is better than missing several days or weeks because I didn't rest.
2014-01-02 8:32 PM

User image

RIght now its the winter and the off season and I wouldn't think twice about skipping a workout to heal up faster. During my main season I might skip it or do an easy workout. I am generally pretty healthy, and if I'm getting sick its probably because I'm over stressing something (working work, working out, and/or poor nutrition) and my body needs a break.

2014-01-02 9:26 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Work out as planned.

When I am sick a good hard workout always makes me feel better.

I have this theory, that like a fever helps fight illness, the elevated body temperature of a good workout helps me get better, not worse.

I would have to be really, really, really sick to miss a workout.
2014-01-02 11:42 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by wannabefaster Work out as planned. When I am sick a good hard workout always makes me feel better. I have this theory, that like a fever helps fight illness, the elevated body temperature of a good workout helps me get better, not worse. I would have to be really, really, really sick to miss a workout.

I find workouts taxing on the body, and I've experienced pretty much the opposite of your theory.  I guess everybody is different, but my body needs rest when I'm sick.  Only time I train when sick is if it was just a minor-type cold and I am on the upswing from the worst of it.  Then I might do a really easy, shorter ride, maybe 2/3 of normal pace.

2014-01-05 2:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
I had a dry cough and cold ,where I wasn't feeling too bad. However, after four weeks I took a turn for the worst and got pneumonia. I saw my doctor on 2nd. Doc has me on heavy duty antibiotics and cough meds. Today is the first day I feel human and can even think about training. I may manage a walk today but where do I go from there? How do I get back to it?

Edited by SportzVision 2014-01-05 2:14 PM
2014-01-05 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4921762

I will usually work through it. I find that I'll often feel better afterwards. A swim is especially helpful with a cold I found.
2014-01-05 5:23 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Until you are really feeling better and off all those meds, I would stick to walks and maybe easy spinning (30 minutes or less) on a trainer. I also find that as long as I'm not feeling "sick" (low energy, nausea, body aches), I do okay with strength training, stretching, yoga, etc. as long as it's not real intense. As others have mentioned, with respiratory stuff, weather can make a difference. It's probably more stress on the body to be cold and wet and definitely more likely to trigger coughing if you're running/biking in very cold weather. If I have a cold here, I usually run through it but just dial back distance and intensity; I might not do that if I lived somewhere cold.

2014-01-05 8:47 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JohnP_NY Let's say you are feeling you might be getting something...maybe some sniffles or a scratchy throat, oraybe a little ache..do you.. A-work out as planned B-work out but back off on the duration or intensity C-skip it and get some rest..no need to tax the immune system

I don't believe that exercise makes you sick.  Or- lessens your body's immune response.  So- I do whatever I feel up to doing.  If I feel really sick and I can't lift my head off the pillow, then no- I'm not going to force myself out for a run.  But if I feel generally OK and my throat hurts, I'm running.  If I'm all stuffed up with a cold, but otherwise feel OK- then I'm definitely exercising.  It usually makes me feel better (during the exercise).  

Definitely get more sleep tho'

2014-01-06 4:14 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Master
If I'm feverish or having an asthmatic episode, I rest. If I'm just snotty, stuffy, achy, tired, I give it a go. If it's an issue with the belly, I just make sure I'm near a bathroom.
2014-01-06 5:40 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Regular
B - unless I have a fever and then I usually will skip it. While a workout might make my mind feel better, it can delay full recovery for me and I would feather workout at full strength.
2014-01-06 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I just lived this last week. Got knocked flat by the flu on Sun. I got a prescription for Tamiflu then slept through most of Mon-Wed. Thur I was up and around but gave myself the day to continue to recover. Fri I forced myself to do a light spin. Sat I ran a very easy 8 miles. Sun I spun for 1.5 hours.

The big thing is that my energy level has been so low that I really don't feel like working out. But once I get going I feel better.
2014-01-06 8:14 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by wannabefaster

Work out as planned.

When I am sick a good hard workout always makes me feel better.

I have this theory, that like a fever helps fight illness, the elevated body temperature of a good workout helps me get better, not worse.

I would have to be really, really, really sick to miss a workout.

I have the same theory!!

Especially when I first feel like something is coming on. I want to make it so that nothing would want to live in my body. Elevated temperature, lactic acid buildup, etc...

Also if I skipped a workout I would be less tired and not sleep as well. And sleep actually does help your body fight an illness.

Also, I want to send my body a message, so it would have to respond with "well....it looks like he's not going to give us a rest, so we may as well knock this thing out now ."

Edited by ImSore 2014-01-06 8:16 AM

2014-01-06 10:30 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Just a flu -> No Z4-5
Fever -> No training

Been working really well for the last two years.
2014-02-07 11:29 AM
in reply to: JPanula

me and many other athletes take Vector450 with Muno-IGY. They can all tell you that they have avoided flu issues while taking this natural, NSF tested product.
2014-02-07 4:43 PM
in reply to: trevord

Work out as planned. I have to be running a fever or have things coming out the wrong way to consider cancelling a session. When in doubt, HTFU.
2014-02-07 5:55 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Unless I'm really sick, I stay on schedule.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When you are maybe feeling a little under the weather, do you.... Rss Feed  

of 2