Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I guess I don't have a relgion any more Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-03 7:47 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: I guess I don't have a relgion any more

So in the good  news column I am engaged to be married.  In the bad news column this is apparently going to result in me not having a religion anymore.  I was raised catholic and ID myself as catholic but I am pretty much done with it now.  My fiancé has been married twice.  You have to have the marriages annulled even tho no one involved is catholic and neither of the unions were catholic or even in a church of any kind.  To get the marriage annulled the previous wives apparently have to "get their say" despite the fact that the 3 deal breakers for the catholic church are 1-mental illness (check)  2-substance abuse (check) and infidelity (check)   First marriage not an issue.  Second one despite checking all the boxes BIG problem.  She is CRAZY.  She tried to hire someone to KILL my fiancé.  She throws their 13 year old under a bus continuously.  I had to file a police report against her and get an atty to stop her from harassing me.  She is going to go BSC  (Bat Sh^t Crazy) when she finds out about the wedding.  Truly she is unstable BUT the catholic church says we HAVE to give her a SAY in the annulment.  So I am supposed to put my fiancé's LIFE at risk and that of his 13 year old son to jump thru this hoop???? ARE YOU F-ING KIDDING ME?????  Seriously?  No loopholes no exceptions. WTF?  I am DONE with the church.  I am so sad and disappointed I can't even discuss it with my fiancé because as he is not catholic he doesn't get it.  I feel like my entire faith has been stripped away with the decision of a single person.  Feeling very sad.

2014-03-03 8:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: I guess I don't have a relgion any more

Originally posted by Socks

So in the good  news column I am engaged to be married.  In the bad news column this is apparently going to result in me not having a religion anymore.  I was raised catholic and ID myself as catholic but I am pretty much done with it now.  My fiancé has been married twice.  You have to have the marriages annulled even tho no one involved is catholic and neither of the unions were catholic or even in a church of any kind.  To get the marriage annulled the previous wives apparently have to "get their say" despite the fact that the 3 deal breakers for the catholic church are 1-mental illness (check)  2-substance abuse (check) and infidelity (check)   First marriage not an issue.  Second one despite checking all the boxes BIG problem.  She is CRAZY.  She tried to hire someone to KILL my fiancé.  She throws their 13 year old under a bus continuously.  I had to file a police report against her and get an atty to stop her from harassing me.  She is going to go BSC  (Bat Sh^t Crazy) when she finds out about the wedding.  Truly she is unstable BUT the catholic church says we HAVE to give her a SAY in the annulment.  So I am supposed to put my fiancé's LIFE at risk and that of his 13 year old son to jump thru this hoop???? ARE YOU F-ING KIDDING ME?????  Seriously?  No loopholes no exceptions. WTF?  I am DONE with the church.  I am so sad and disappointed I can't even discuss it with my fiancé because as he is not catholic he doesn't get it.  I feel like my entire faith has been stripped away with the decision of a single person.  Feeling very sad.

If your fiance has a child with a crazy person, trust me, you're about to find religion.

Ex-Catholic here as well......it passes.  Good luck in your marriage!

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-03 8:05 PM
2014-03-03 8:11 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

If you are a thinking, loving and caring person, you don't need ... religion.  Move forward and fill your life with love and people you love.  Leave the rituals and tithing behind.

2014-03-03 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Socks, I too was raised Catholic. I am now a member of the Lutheran church (or Catholic Lite as we refer to it in the house on occasions ). I have found religion to be a deeply personal and rewarding part of my life.  For my own reasons, the Catholic church was not the answer for me. No one has the right to make decisions for you, be it other people, or other entities all together. It is one thing if you agree to the decisions that others make for you, but in this particular case, it sounds like you really don't agree. so, we all have to figure out what we want on our own. I'm hopeful that this gives you an opportunity to look at what you are after in religion, examine what you want, what you don't want, what you are after in a marriage and move forward from there. 

Congratulations and Good Luck!!!  It may not be an easy road, but it will be rewarding none the less. 

Edited by cdban66 2014-03-03 8:34 PM
2014-03-03 9:08 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Elite
Wow, sounds outrageous...but then again, nothing surprises me when it comes to religion.

I just hope your fiancee is living by one rule, Catholic or not...and that is...
no Socks before marriage.

2014-03-03 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

You and your fiance, personally, should not have to have any personal contact with the ex-spouse during the annulment process.  The marriage tribunal should handle that initially with written communication.   They usually try twice to contact the person to "get their say."  If the person refuses to participate, the marriage tribunal will continue without her input.   Sometimes, they will "call other witnesses" to try to verify her state of mind at the time of the first wedding. 

She gets to "have her say" because the Church is trying to determine if she was of sound mind when she entered into the marriage contract.   If they determine that she was, then they may not grant the annulment.  The fact that she may (or may not) WANT the annulment is irrelevant.  

She's going to find out about the marriage eventually.  By starting the annulment process, you actually gain some control about when she finds out, which means you can be prepared for any action she might take.   If you wait until she finds out through the grapevine, you'll never know when she might show up raging on your doorstep.

Take a while and think about why you want a Church wedding, but are infuriated by the "hoops" that are required before you can proceed.    I'm not in any way saying you're wrong for feeling the way you do... I'm just suggesting you reflect on it. 

The Church would probably also require you to complete a pre-marriage assessment, either a series of "prep" classes, a weekend retreat, or both.  Is that something your fiance would be willing to participate in?  There may be more things to discus than just the annulment.  (FWIW, we did both, and we really found them beneficial.  Even if you aren't getting married in the church, I would recommend them)

Finally, your statement of:  "I am so sad and disappointed I can't even discuss it with my fiancé because as he is not catholic he doesn't get it."   gave me pause.  Even if he doesn't "get it" ...  "for better or worse" he's going to be the one going through it with you(no matter what you decide.)   I gently suggest discussing it with him.

Good luck.  There is much about the Church that frustrates me, too.   Hell, I used to work for the Church.   We just have to do our best to live like Christ. When it comes down to it, that's all they're asking.  And yes, it's hard.    In the end, your faith is personal, it is not the institution. 

Peace.

-  Ryan 

2014-03-03 9:35 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Pro

Originally posted by moondawg14

You and your fiance, personally, should not have to have any personal contact with the ex-spouse during the annulment process.  The marriage tribunal should handle that initially with written communication.   They usually try twice to contact the person to "get their say."  If the person refuses to participate, the marriage tribunal will continue without her input.   Sometimes, they will "call other witnesses" to try to verify her state of mind at the time of the first wedding. 

She gets to "have her say" because the Church is trying to determine if she was of sound mind when she entered into the marriage contract.   If they determine that she was, then they may not grant the annulment.  The fact that she may (or may not) WANT the annulment is irrelevant.  

She's going to find out about the marriage eventually.  By starting the annulment process, you actually gain some control about when she finds out, which means you can be prepared for any action she might take.   If you wait until she finds out through the grapevine, you'll never know when she might show up raging on your doorstep.

Take a while and think about why you want a Church wedding, but are infuriated by the "hoops" that are required before you can proceed.    I'm not in any way saying you're wrong for feeling the way you do... I'm just suggesting you reflect on it. 

The Church would probably also require you to complete a pre-marriage assessment, either a series of "prep" classes, a weekend retreat, or both.  Is that something your fiance would be willing to participate in?  There may be more things to discus than just the annulment.  (FWIW, we did both, and we really found them beneficial.  Even if you aren't getting married in the church, I would recommend them)

Finally, your statement of:  "I am so sad and disappointed I can't even discuss it with my fiancé because as he is not catholic he doesn't get it."   gave me pause.  Even if he doesn't "get it" ...  "for better or worse" he's going to be the one going through it with you(no matter what you decide.)   I gently suggest discussing it with him.

Good luck.  There is much about the Church that frustrates me, too.   Hell, I used to work for the Church.   We just have to do our best to live like Christ. When it comes down to it, that's all they're asking.  And yes, it's hard.    In the end, your faith is personal, it is not the institution. 

Peace.

-  Ryan 

Ryan, as much at odds as I am with the Church over the systematic abuse of children, that's a pretty good post with some very good points.

2014-03-03 9:40 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Elite
Reno
"These thing remain - faith, love and charity. And the greatest of these is Love."

I think your feeling of "loss of faith" or "religion" is about your losing faith in the rules of man, not the rules of god. I was raised catholic and am no more, myself, for just that reason.

But ! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and marriage!

2014-03-03 9:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Left Brain

Ryan, as much at odds as I am with the Church over the systematic abuse of children, that's a pretty good post with some very good points.

Thanks LB.   Francis seems to be making some slow progress in this area.   

I stayed (much like I did with the Boy Scouts) because I believe that the goal and the "soul" of the institution is being mismanaged by the men in power.   If I don't stay to help make things better, who will?  

If you ever decide to come back, the door is always open.   :^

2014-03-04 7:02 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

First off, congratulations on your marriage.  I'm very happy for you.

My only advice on the Church is to remember one thing.  Religion is nothing more than man's attempt to reach God through ritual and rules.  I Believe in God, I do not believe in religion.  Jesus came to the earth to abolish religion.
I have posted this before, but it sums up my thoughts on religion very well.  Why I hate religion, but love Jesus

I would strongly suggest looking into Bible teaching non-denominational churches in your area.  No Church is perfect, but if they're teaching the Bible then it's at least a step in the right direction.

So, this may sound weird, but I'm glad you lost your religion.  That's a good thing.  Now that religion is out of your way, go find God. 

Tony

2014-03-04 9:44 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Never mind the church side of things.... third time for him, and he has a crazy ex, and a teenage son with a crazy mother? I don't know you, I don't know him, but think long and hard about this. Then think some more. 

2014-03-04 9:45 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Never mind the church side of things.... third time for him, and he has a crazy ex, and a teenage son with a crazy mother? I don't know you, I don't know him, but think long and hard about this. Then think some more. 

i thought this and didn't want to say it........:-/

2014-03-04 10:08 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro

Just so you know, Catholics don't have a lock on the ritual of divorce. In Judaism it's called a Get, and you aren't considered divorced under Jewish Law until you have one. Both parties have to agree formally to the document. How Ryan describes the process in Catholicism sounds quite similar. Normally a Reform synagogue doesn't require this, but many Conservative and all Orthodox synagogues will require you to have this document to get remarried by a Rabbi.

My ex and I are on great terms. I'm pretty fortunate that we worked out the bumps and remain best friends. It's been 9 years since we separated. However, two years ago we started the process for the Get (yeah we're slow), and boy did that bring up the dirt. She walked out of there crying. We haven't gone back to the Rabbi yet. Fortunately neither of us are looking to remarry any time soon.

I wish you luck, and hope you figure out a way to work through these issues and maintain your faith.

2014-03-04 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
What is it you're looking for by posting this? Sympathy? Advice? Since you left it open ended, I'll go ahead and add my own two cents:
The entire paragraph you wrote is littered with red flags. The fact your fiance has a child with someone with whom he cannot communicate and co-parent his son with is alarming. The fact that you feel you can't talk to him about this is alarming. The fact that your fiance is hiding his relationship with you is alarming. Is your fiance's life truly at risk if she finds out?
This all seems crazy to me. And that you aren't focusing on that, and instead are bemoaning the Catholic process of annulment, makes me feel like you are really missing the point here. You are about to marry into a family where the mother of your step son wants to kill your husband? Hello??
You may have better luck finding answers if you look inward at your situation and why you're here with him than posting on an internet forum. I've been in therapy for over a year and a half and it's given me amazing tools to understand my patterns in relationships, I highly recommend you explore the professional help route too.
2014-03-04 10:31 AM
in reply to: freckle face

User image

Pro

Originally posted by freckle face  You are about to marry into a family where the mother of your step son wants to kill your husband? Hello??

Coffee.............spit.

2014-03-04 12:01 PM
in reply to: freckle face

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I don't know which one to reply to.  Most is data I already know.  Trust me I know the catholic process and I have big problems with it in general.  His ex does know about me.  I had to file a police report against her and get an atty to get her to stop stalking me.  She already tried to hire someone to kill my fiancé so yes I would say the risk is real.  Although he lives close to her I live 1200 miles away for better or for worse.  And no that is not going to chance in the near future.  There is no job for me where he lives and I would not want to live in the same city as the ex.  She would attack me personally and professionally and its all well and good to say oh well you could sue her if that happens it doesn't matter because the damage would have been done.   So I am supposed to give up the love of my life, because we have challenges in our relationship?  Really?  Because he was married to someone crazy you are suggesting I dump him?  We are much stronger than that.  The sacrament of marriage, of what it represents in the church was what I wanted, not just some clerk saying OK you are legally bound because that is not what marriage is to me.  Why did I post here??  Well believe it or some of us don't have a whole lot of people to talk to in life. 

2014-03-04 12:38 PM

User image

Queen BTich

I don't know which one to reply to.  Most is data I already know.  Trust me I know the catholic process and I have big problems with it in general.  His ex does know about me.  I had to file a police report against her and get an atty to get her to stop stalking me.  She already tried to hire someone to kill my fiancé so yes I would say the risk is real.  Although he lives close to her I live 1200 miles away for better or for worse.  And no that is not going to chance in the near future.  There is no job for me where he lives and I would not want to live in the same city as the ex.  She would attack me personally and professionally and its all well and good to say oh well you could sue her if that happens it doesn't matter because the damage would have been done.   So I am supposed to give up the love of my life, because we have challenges in our relationship?  Really?  Because he was married to someone crazy you are suggesting I dump him?  We are much stronger than that.  The sacrament of marriage, of what it represents in the church was what I wanted, not just some clerk saying OK you are legally bound because that is not what marriage is to me.  Why did I post here??  Well believe it or some of us don't have a whole lot of people to talk to in life. 

I have to agree with Freckle and the other posters who said there are some other problems here besides the church. It sounds like you're focusing on the CHURCH as being a problem rather than the other glaring issues.

I don't know what to reply to either:
"don't have a whole lot of people to talk to in life": How about your fiance? Oh, you said, "I am so sad and disappointed I can't even discuss it with my fiancé because as he is not catholic he doesn't get it."  Nevermind. Guess that's out. Which brings me to "the love of my life" and "we are much stronger than that" comments.
Your parents? Your priest? Do you even actively go to church or did you just find one to get married in? (rhetorical questions, for you)

I don't know about the law, maybe Left Brain can help out here, but I *think* that hiring someone to kill someone would land someone in jail, or at least on trial for attempted murder, or other things. And she'd lose custody of her child, right? This just doesn't seem to add up, but it doesn't really matter. "throws the 13 year old under the bus" seems like he'd have a case for primary custody, leaving her farther out of the picture. BUT, she's his ex and his childs mother. She's not going anywhere.

To me, "challenges" in a relationship are things like family illness, job changes, moves, death, other major life events. Not your "fiance" putting up with an ex that behaves like this. To me, for a marraige to even have a chance at succeeding, you must be strong together. Not one person feeling like they can't talk to their partner -or coming to an agreement- about something that is supposedly very important, the actual vows or ceremony. Back to the original issue, I think the church's requirements are the least of your problems, and while you don't have to agree with everything the church does, that's the rules. Take it or leave it.

Good luck in your choice to live your life with this kind of drama.

2014-03-04 12:56 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
I don't know you - and there's not a lot I can add other than some life experience. I am Catholic, I'm not a fallen away Catholic or anything like that - just a guy trying his best to go from sinner to saint, knowing I'll never make it. My wife went though the annulment process for me (she is Lutheran). I think you may misunderstand why the process is there. If you want to receive the sacrament of marriage, it is required in your situation. I encourage you to sit down with your parish priest or deacon, and to also pray.

And yes, in this state (Illinois), hiring, or attempting to hire someone to kill someone is a class x felony, with a normal sentencing range of a minimum of 20 years to a maximum of 40 years. I believe that is also served at 85%.

Good luck.
2014-03-04 6:54 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Just so you know, Catholics don't have a lock on the ritual of divorce. In Judaism it's called a Get, and you aren't considered divorced under Jewish Law until you have one. Both parties have to agree formally to the document. How Ryan describes the process in Catholicism sounds quite similar. Normally a Reform synagogue doesn't require this, but many Conservative and all Orthodox synagogues will require you to have this document to get remarried by a Rabbi.

nitpick:  Catholics do not have divorces.   We have annulments.   It sounds petty, but the difference is huge.  HUGE.   

Divorce:  The marriage no longer exists.

Annulment: The marriage NEVER existed.

That's why they need to talk to everyone involved.  They don't want to know if she's crazy NOW. They want to know if she was crazy when she agreed to get married.   That would have meant that she was unable to reasonably agree to a covenant, which is at the heart of a Church marriage. 

The Church tries to protect the sacrament of marriage as much as it can.   They try and try to get people to understand that it really is FOREVER.   So, if they determine that both parties were "sane" when the marriage took place, and then one person becomes mentally ill, then there will be no annulment.   You agreed to love that person for better or for worse, until death, so the Church will not annul that marriage.   Also, in the Catholic annulment process, both sides do NOT have to agree.  The Marriage Tribunal will decide, and the decision is final.  The process is not perfect, and I'm sure there are many cases where marriages get annulled under much flimsier circumstances.   I'm not here to defend it, I'm just here to explain it. 

Socks, there is a pretty big disconnect between:

"The sacrament of marriage, of what it represents in the church was what I wanted, not just some clerk saying OK you are legally bound because that is not what marriage is to me. "  

...and everything else you've said.    The Sacrament of Marriage is a permanent manifestation of God's perfect love between two individuals.   While I know it is frustrating... if you *really* want that from the Church, then they ask you to do your part in protecting that Sacrament as part of the Church.  Not just *your* marriage, *everyone's* marriage.  

Again, think critically about why you're angry at the Church.  By protecting the Sacrament, and not just giving it away to anyone who asks, She is retaining the very value you are seeking.   

This isn't easy.  I'm truly sorry you're struggling.  I sincerely hope you can find some comfort somewhere.  

Peace.  

-Ryan

2014-03-04 8:22 PM

i'm going to call ditto on all the people saying you're focusing on the wrong problem. The point of a religionist have rules to live by, you find a religion that coincides with your beliefs, and you follow those rules. You don't get to change the rules of the religion because you feel like it when your fiancé who has no interest in living anywhere near you post marriage and isn't your religion doesn't fit the rules. ... if you don't like it, then change religion, but don't blame the religion for your problems. religion is not about where you go to church once a year because it's Christmas and your parents are going, religion is about what you really believe. You do not seem to believe in the Catholic Church, you say you're Catholic. since religion really is not that important to you, and is not important him at all, then why use it as an excuse to trash Catholicism, or any other religion that you happen to be? ... and you are engaged but the Ex number two doesn't know about it and you expect to keep it a secret and put a 13-year-old in the position of having to keep it a secret – religion is not the problem here. and how is it a woman that lives 1200 miles away from you is able to stock you? And how is it that a woman tried to have her husband killed and isn't in jail? and you are going to get married, but he will live 1200 miles away and neither of you is willing to move all though you are a doctor and he is....? doctors are one field that is very easy to move if there is a desire to as there is a shortage. sounds to me like there's a whole lot more crazy in this then just ex-wife number two.

Edited by gotbitten 2014-03-04 8:25 PM
2014-03-04 8:46 PM

Expert
Heard an interesting stat the other day; while 50% of marriages end in divorce, 67% of second marriages end in divorce, and 75% of third marriages end in divorce. I'm not passing any judgement on your situation, and hope everything works our well, but possibly giving up on your religion may be a little rash at this point.

2014-03-05 8:48 AM
in reply to: vonschnapps

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by vonschnapps Heard an interesting stat the other day; while 50% of marriages end in divorce, 67% of second marriages end in divorce, and 75% of third marriages end in divorce. I'm not passing any judgement on your situation, and hope everything works our well, but possibly giving up on your religion may be a little rash at this point.

My Dad was married and divorced 4 times and he used to go on and on about them "damn women" and how messed up they are because they kept leaving him.
I can't remember how old I was, but there was a time when I told my Dad that I don't think "the damn women" are the problem here.  ;-)

2014-03-05 11:09 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

The same thing happened to my stepbrother and some friends of mine. The issue with their getting annulled was also the MONEY attached. They thought it was ridiculous to pay $1,000's of dollars for it to be done, so they skipped it. Didn't have a Catholic wedding. 

Now, I'm not Catholic, but can't you still go to church and worship God even if they don't "bless" your marriage? I mean, is there a "most wanted" wall at the Catholic churches when you walk in? They can't take your religion and your relationship with God just because they don't "bless" your marriage. AND would they even marry you in a Catholic church if he isn't Catholic? 

Your marriage will be real, even if the Catholic church doesn't do the ceremony. 

2014-03-05 11:23 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by KSH

AND would they even marry you in a Catholic church if he isn't Catholic? 

I had this question as well. I had always understood Catholic weddings to be strict about both parties being Catholic.

2014-03-05 11:27 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by KSH

AND would they even marry you in a Catholic church if he isn't Catholic? 

I had this question as well. I had always understood Catholic weddings to be strict about both parties being Catholic.

No, but you must do Pre-Cana and also agree to raise the kids catholic. (Mom's Catholic, Dad was Lutheran at the time - converted when I was little

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2014-03-05 11:28 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I guess I don't have a relgion any more Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I Guess I Don't Have a Good Comeback Here

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 1654 Posts: 16

2012-06-14 2:55 PM ultrahip_00

Guess I don't need to bother with training....

Started by jsnowash
Views: 1262 Posts: 14

2011-05-11 6:25 PM RBesecke

don't taser me, don't taser me, please... Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by nbo10
Views: 2839 Posts: 82

2007-09-20 5:57 AM Karl Hungus

I just don't understand kids I guess

Started by DrLeah
Views: 770 Posts: 17

2006-10-17 3:54 PM KenyonTri

Nooooo... I don't think I'll have what they're having, thanks!

Started by Spokes
Views: 566 Posts: 6

2006-10-12 5:58 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.