BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-05-22 3:38 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)

Jonathan, just read your IM blog.  I have tears streaming down my face.  Congratulations on your incredible journey and the amazing support team you have.  Awesome.

2014-05-22 3:41 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by 99Puddles

I'm going to try this.........

NAME: Debi Long

STORY: I am 49 years old. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and the struggle continues. Last year, despite my thyroid levels being "textbook" they discover nodules (3) on my thyroid. Thankfully the biopsy found them to benign and after months of medication the size of the nodules are reduced. Weight issues.......still the same. I know there is a triathlete stuck inside me somewhere. I love doing all three of the sports, I love the thrill of the finishline. One day my body will love doing all three of them back to back. It's been a power struggle but I think I'm starting to get the upperhand.

FAMILY STATUS: I am the proud mother of one son and three grandchildren. My oldest grandson (7) will be doing his first official tri this July. I am also a military widow of 25+ years. I once had seven very large and very loving lab/shepherd mixed babies, 4 of them had moved on to greener pasture over the last 2 years. My oldest sweetheart (Kirby) is 16 and is as tough as nails. Nearly blind and deaf, he still manages to believe he is the protector of the house. Jack & Hunter (12 years)' on most day, let him believe it as well. These little furry buddies have been my lifeline through so many lonely nights.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently surviving Master's swim classes and running with the local running club. Now that the weather is better, I will be rejoining the cycle club for the many adventurous bike rides out on the Fort Bragg drop zones. There's nothing like gunfire and bombs exploding all around you to make you pedal faster. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Other than a few "at the last minute" 5K runs, my only planned event is the "Dash for Divas" super sprint in September. I secretly want to shot for a HIM, but we'll see how my training and weight loss proceed. I have lots of help this time with coaches, training plans and a super support system. Maybe this year I will find success.

BODY COMPOSITION: Goals........I want my body to catch up to my training program. I want to drop 50 pounds, safely,  And become that shining red bike....

Welcome Debi!  I live in the Raleigh area so we are relatively close!  Woo hoo!  Another North Carolina Manatee!

I'm pretty sure I did warn advise her of you earlier

The part where you say "married with one dog" gets me. Every. Single. Time. HAHAHAHAHA ... of course, if I had a dog as awesome as Emma, I might get married with her too

Emma is a very import part of my family -- and my story!  She was the pretty puppy in the picture that made me realize that I wanted to be a better, more active me! Emma turns 12 next month.

2014-05-22 3:44 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

EFS liquid shots have been recommended to me.  Do any of you use them?  Where do you buy them?  I'll check the local tri/bike shops this weekend but inquiring minds want to know.

2014-05-22 4:01 PM

User image

Melon Presser

EFS liquid shots have been recommended to me.  Do any of you use them?  Where do you buy them?  I'll check the local tri/bike shops this weekend but inquiring minds want to know.

There was a pretty interesting discussion on EFS products a couple days ago over at ST: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5091728;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I got some of their product (liquid and chews) free at a race ... they tasted kinda bitter to me and didn't seem to do any more (or less) for me than any of the other crap I stuff in my face and call race nutrition

2014-05-22 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Debi - WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janyne - RNR Las Vegas!?!?!?!?!?! I might have to meet you there!!!!!!!!!!

Bio to come...

2014-05-22 4:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
I may be adding a new puppy to the collection. A friends dog is pregnant and due in June, if they have "extras" or sne dosme off to good homes I am high on the list. It would be a Alaskan/Siberian Husky mix. Attached is a picture of the parents. The red one is the father, the gray is the mother.

ETA: the decision will also be based on how Pikatti responds to a new pup and plays with him/her.

Edited by jbwills 2014-05-22 4:44 PM

(Pups.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Pups.jpg (21KB - 8 downloads)

2014-05-22 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Name: TJ

Self/Family: 47 years old and married to the most awesomest man in the world (although the Manatee men are tough to beat). DH (dear husband) and I have two amazing sons, three dogs and two cats . We currently live near Albuquerque, NM but I have lived (in order of appearance) in Des Moines IA, Denver Colorado, Montrose Colorado and Omaha Nebraska.

I've been a runner off and on since high school, but mostly off after starting a family. About 6 years ago I started running and counting calories to lose weight and happily went from about 185 at my heaviest to my current fluctuation of 132-140 (the 132 was right before my HIM last year). Now I eat and drink as I like, in moderation.

My dear sister in law talked me in to doing a triathlon with her so in August of 2011 I did Tri for the Cure in Denver and have been hooked ever since. I've done sprints, Olys and one HIM.

So far my 2014 calendar looks something like this:

March - Runnin of the Green 7k
May - Jay Benson Sprint
          Bolder Boulder 10k
June - City of Lakes Oly
July - Tri Rock Denver (maybe)
August - Live Love Tri (maybe)
             Donut Dash (obstacle 5k)
September - Dirty Girl Mud Run
October - Rock N Roll Denver HM 

ETA: human kids in the avi, here are the canine kids

Edited by rrrunner 2014-05-22 4:59 PM

(pups.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
pups.JPG (71KB - 9 downloads)
2014-05-22 5:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

IN (but have to take kids to one of their concerts, so have to post a bio a bit later).

Yay Manatees!

Matt

2014-05-22 5:55 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

There was a pretty interesting discussion on EFS products a couple days ago over at ST: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5091728;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I got some of their product (liquid and chews) free at a race ... they tasted kinda bitter to me and didn't seem to do any more (or less) for me than any of the other crap I stuff in my face and call race nutrition

Thank you Your Yantiness!

2014-05-22 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Debi - WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janyne - RNR Las Vegas!?!?!?!?!?! I might have to meet you there!!!!!!!!!!

Bio to come...

DOOO EEETTTT!!!!

(speaking of which, I suppose we need to send out an APB for JoBaxes)

ETA: I alerted her on The Twitter.

Edited by jmkizer 2014-05-22 5:59 PM
2014-05-22 7:50 PM

User image

Elite
I AM BACK!

I'm not sure how much time i have to spare but here goes nothing! I will try and check in regularly.

Right now I work full time BUT i also work (for nothing) for Chris Macca McCormack and for America's Angriest Trainer Vinnie Tortorich. I have been known to help out Ben Greenfield too.

Of late i've also been doing a women's race wrap up for IMTalk podcast. Busy times!

I'm in the middle of building a website/blog Jo's Tristalk.

I am renowned for my skills in getting up close and personal to the pros - it's a gift! I have an unhealthy obsession with Terenzo Bozzone.
NAME: Jo, Jojo, Joey
STORY: i've done one HIM a couple of Olympics but after a clipped in topple a broken wrist and surgery i've taken more to running and swimming

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 9 year old daughter who has a lot more athletic prowess than I do! Scooby our 2 year old Corgi/shepherd mix - love that dude! If Yanti hadn't got married i was going to leave it all and elope with her.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been sidelined by the man flu! It must be that coz i feel like death. But really i'm at the gym twice a week, swimming two or three times with Coach John Van Wisse (google this guy) and trail running in MAF zone 2

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Four trail runs, June, July, Aug, Sept

BODY COMPOSITION: I eat to the Vinnie Tortorich regime - No Sugar No Grains - so basically I stopped eating like an a**hole. All good. The weight fluctuates but i'm 20lbs off where i'd like to be. But i look better and have lost inches. So who knows!

2014-05-22 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4996915

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
My name is Michael. I am 56, single never married. In high school I ran track and swam on a club swim team. I swam D1 in college. After college I toted a rifle for the Marine Corps. Saw plenty of the non-touristy places around the world. After that got way too over educated. I have degrees in mathematics, physics and English. I am looking after a 20 year old niece and an 82 year deaf and demented father. Currently involved with ph.d chemistry squeeze otherwise known as Dr. Shortstop. She played softball in undergraduate school. I have three animals: a golden/ collie mix, a chorky, and a jade-eyed black cat. All are rescues. Physically I am know back to the physique I had whilst swimming in college. Currently this is the year of the bike. I have a couple of century rides planned. I will do a couple of half marathons in the fall. Hopefully I will have adjusted to these bloody orthotics by then. I am nursing a Morton's neuroma in my left foot at the moment. My hobbies outside of triathlons are kayaking, scuba diving and sailing. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I am Christian. Tuesdays Thursdays, and Saturdays I am pagan. Sundays are a day of rest and I don't worry about it either way.

I know, too much information. I have a warped world view and a sense of humour to go with it. Oo la and Oo Rah.
2014-05-22 8:48 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I'm back in!!! Even if you don't want me I will still stalk you every morning to make my day complete

NAME: Stacey
LIVE: In Perth Western Australia - so I get {{{{Melon Presses}}}} from Yanti in person every now and then.

STORY: I always played sport as a kid, I did netball (you might need to Google that one), basketball, tennis, swimming and the odd triathlon. I have never been great at it but always been active. Then the normal story finished school, started working full time, got married and started studying so stopped exercising.

15 years and 30lbs latter I looked at some photos and didn't like what I saw. I really wanted to get back into competitive sport but my work schedule doesn't allow for me to commit to team sports. My brother suggested triathlons. I have done a few mini sprints and the swim leg of a HIM.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 16 years to Phil. We share our lives with various numbers of Mastiffs - last week it was 15 this week we are down to 7 and in a couple of weeks it will settle back to the normal 6.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have done very little for the last 6 months since the HIM swim leg I did, which I found boring. I kind of lost my mojo after that and Phil has had some health issues and then we had puppies so everything else kind of got put on hold. I struggle with consistency and motivation and to be honest just laziness. Working on running at present as it is really something that I struggle with and if I could do it even slowly I will take loads of my race times.

THIS YEARS RACES: don't have much planned yet as it is winter here and the 2014/15 race calendar isn't out yet. But I have a 12km walk this weekend and I want to run a 12km in late August and do an Oly early next year. I will throw in a few sprints as well.

BODY COMPOSITION: I got to my heaviest weight after the HIM swim last year but in order to solve some of Phil's health problems we are no on no sugar, no grains, no soy, and very limited dairy. So far in 3 months I have lost 15lbs I have another 5-10 to go.

The puppies that have kept me occupied for the last 3 months:

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (2034KB - 7 downloads)
2014-05-23 12:26 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
First off, two tunes in my head: "We will, we will, stalk you! (Sing it) We will, we will, stalk you!" and "Oh where, oh where has my little pod gone? Oh where, oh where can it be?" Oh, and I'd like to be checked in...um...allowed back...Bio tomorrow?
2014-05-23 12:42 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by StaceyK

I'm back in!!! Even if you don't want me I will still stalk you every morning to make my day complete

LIVE: In Perth Western Australia - so I get {{{{Melon Presses}}}} from Yanti in person every now and then.

STORY: I always played sport as a kid, I did netball (you might need to Google that one), basketball, tennis, swimming and the odd triathlon. I have never been great at it but always been active. Then the normal story finished school, started working full time, got married and started studying so stopped exercising.

15 years and 30lbs latter I looked at some photos and didn't like what I saw. I really wanted to get back into competitive sport but my work schedule doesn't allow for me to commit to team sports. My brother suggested triathlons. I have done a few mini sprints and the swim leg of a HIM.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 16 years to Phil. We share our lives with various numbers of Mastiffs - last week it was 15 this week we are down to 7 and in a couple of weeks it will settle back to the normal 6.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have done very little for the last 6 months since the HIM swim leg I did, which I found boring. I kind of lost my mojo after that and Phil has had some health issues and then we had puppies so everything else kind of got put on hold. I struggle with consistency and motivation and to be honest just laziness. Working on running at present as it is really something that I struggle with and if I could do it even slowly I will take loads of my race times.

THIS YEARS RACES: don't have much planned yet as it is winter here and the 2014/15 race calendar isn't out yet. But I have a 12km walk this weekend and I want to run a 12km in late August and do an Oly early next year. I will throw in a few sprints as well.

BODY COMPOSITION: I got to my heaviest weight after the HIM swim last year but in order to solve some of Phil's health problems we are no on no sugar, no grains, no soy, and very limited dairy. So far in 3 months I have lost 15lbs I have another 5-10 to go.

Sounds like we have a similar diet/lifestyle -some great resources on line - Mark's Daily Apple is a great daily resource and interesting and there's a forum! yay!
2014-05-23 3:14 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jobaxas

Originally posted by StaceyK

Sounds like we have a similar diet/lifestyle -some great resources on line - Mark's Daily Apple is a great daily resource and interesting and there's a forum! yay!
Thanks Jo, it has been a bit of a struggle to get it together between our major diet changes and the puppies I feel like I have been running in circles and managing to do nothing very well.

2014-05-23 6:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Oh hey, check it out, a new thread.  I was cruising in the old one...

Last night at masters, I did the most awkward thing in a pool that I've EVER done.  After 1,000y of warmup we did 4x25 of sculling.  Head first, on stomach, then back, then feet first, stomach then back.  When the feet were first the sculling happened above the head.  AWKWARD.  Try it out sometime.  I really think that was the strangest 25y that I've ever done, with feet first, on my back, and sculling above my head.

2014-05-23 6:18 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Dayton

NAME: Tom.
STORY: I did my first tri a couple years ago after my brother did one, and I had to keep up with him.  I could run, I could swim (though I never swam competitively), and I picked up a road bike.  Since I was always athletic, but never did any sports in school, I'm looking at triathlon to be a journey to explore my potential.
FAMILY STATUS: Single with no pets.
CURRENT TRAINING: Training for sprints and an Olympic this year.  I recently recovered from a running injury, so I'm picking that back up again.
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: LOTS.  Look at my training log for info.  I'll be doing several sprints, long-ish sprints, and an Oly.  Along with a handful of 5Ks.  I'm going to race tris through the summer, and then work on my 5K time in the fall.
BODY COMPOSITION: None, really.  Maybe start doing some core work.

2014-05-23 6:51 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by bcraht

Jonathan, just read your IM blog.  I have tears streaming down my face.  Congratulations on your incredible journey and the amazing support team you have.  Awesome.

Thank you! I cried writing it. It's been a incredible journey.
2014-05-23 8:17 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Veteran
East Texas
My plan is to do absolutely nothing this week, start swimming next week with maybe 1-2 rides, then do a very easy run at the end of the 3rd week, with resuming easy training the 4th week.

I'll tell you what, after swim/bike/run nearly every day for the last 5 months quitting all of a sudden is worse than when I quit drinking cokes a few years ago. I'm really having a hard time. I know my body NEEDS the time off tho. Plus I've got to let my IT Band calm down some. But this is hard
2014-05-23 8:24 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by JJ- My plan is to do absolutely nothing this week, start swimming next week with maybe 1-2 rides, then do a very easy run at the end of the 3rd week, with resuming easy training the 4th week. I'll tell you what, after swim/bike/run nearly every day for the last 5 months quitting all of a sudden is worse than when I quit drinking cokes a few years ago. I'm really having a hard time. I know my body NEEDS the time off tho. Plus I've got to let my IT Band calm down some. But this is hard

Foam roller, baby!  It's great for that.

2014-05-23 8:48 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by JJ- My plan is to do absolutely nothing this week, start swimming next week with maybe 1-2 rides, then do a very easy run at the end of the 3rd week, with resuming easy training the 4th week. I'll tell you what, after swim/bike/run nearly every day for the last 5 months quitting all of a sudden is worse than when I quit drinking cokes a few years ago. I'm really having a hard time. I know my body NEEDS the time off tho. Plus I've got to let my IT Band calm down some. But this is hard

Foam roller, baby!  It's great for that.

or my favorite torture device, a 4" diameter piece of PVC! I swear it's awesome!
2014-05-23 9:59 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, CO

Friday's laugh (this time I got the day right!!): taxidermy + baking = ....ew?!

http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2014/5/19/please-tell-me-those-are-dead-squirrels.html

2014-05-23 10:58 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by laffinrock

http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2014/5/19/please-tell-me-those-are-dead-squirrels.html

Words escape me on that one, wow, just wow...

2014-05-23 11:04 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Originally posted by laffinrock

I can't stop laughing!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.