General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first OWS was the scariest thing I have ever done Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-25 8:33 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: My first OWS was the scariest thing I have ever done
Yesterday I went out on my first OWS. Now, I have been in open water before, but never in a simulated race start. There were about 50 people & they had buoys laid out for a short loop (for the newbies), an OLY distance swim, and a HIM distance swim.

I held back from the pack & let the more seasoned swimmers go out. Then I started behind them & to the right. Well, I guess the adrenaline got me because I was swimming faster than the pack & before I knew it, I was right up in the middle of them. After getting kicked twice, and kicking others twice, I was sufficiently scared to death. Like, literally having fears of death. I was trying to calm myself down, but my rhythm was all off. Thankfully I made it to the last newbie buoy and I pulled away from the pack & swam back to the shore. I got to the shore & my heart was racing & I was shaking. I took a couple minutes to compose myself. Two minutes later, a woman came up behind me crying. Literally bawling that she was so scared & that she was a failure & that she can do 3000 yards in the pool no sweat, but that she couldn't do OWS.

I told her I had the same fears & asked if she wanted to buddy swim the loop again with me now that all the other swimmers were gone. We did the loop 3 more times keeping an eye on each other and it was easy as pie!

I'm so glad I did this before my race next weekend. I'm sure I will have a similar panic attack at the start, but at least it's not a completely unknown feeling.

2014-05-25 8:41 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Subject: RE: My first OWS was the scariest thing I have ever done

I totally understand. OWS is a totally different animal than pool swimming.  I'm still adjusting to it.  I'm not sure if I'll ever be comfortable with it, if that's possible, lol.

2014-05-25 9:25 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Meathead Yesterday I went out on my first OWS. Now, I have been in open water before, but never in a simulated race start. There were about 50 people & they had buoys laid out for a short loop (for the newbies), an OLY distance swim, and a HIM distance swim. I held back from the pack & let the more seasoned swimmers go out. Then I started behind them & to the right. Well, I guess the adrenaline got me because I was swimming faster than the pack & before I knew it, I was right up in the middle of them. After getting kicked twice, and kicking others twice, I was sufficiently scared to death. Like, literally having fears of death. I was trying to calm myself down, but my rhythm was all off. Thankfully I made it to the last newbie buoy and I pulled away from the pack & swam back to the shore. I got to the shore & my heart was racing & I was shaking. I took a couple minutes to compose myself. Two minutes later, a woman came up behind me crying. Literally bawling that she was so scared & that she was a failure & that she can do 3000 yards in the pool no sweat, but that she couldn't do OWS. I told her I had the same fears & asked if she wanted to buddy swim the loop again with me now that all the other swimmers were gone. We did the loop 3 more times keeping an eye on each other and it was easy as pie! I'm so glad I did this before my race next weekend. I'm sure I will have a similar panic attack at the start, but at least it's not a completely unknown feeling.

Hopefully you get used to it, and as you come to expect it, can push that fear aside. Sometimes it's worse than others. Yesterday I did a sprint tri in a small lake and it was nonstop contact. Even though I've done a lot of OWS, I still had to stop for about 30 seconds to compose myself. Haven't had to do that in years, but it happens. Safety is always the #1 priority.

What you did with her was a good idea. But at some point you will need to learn how to deal with the contact, as well as weeds, sticks, and other debris in most lakes and ponds. Maybe having a swim buddy to talk it through will help.

2014-05-25 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Swim meet warm ups are rough and excellent prep for ow.
2014-05-25 9:46 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Like with most things, practice will help.  OWS will always be "different" feeling than a pool, and race start will be even more different from that...

When I've felt that panicky thing rising up, I just remember that it's my choice to slow down and catch my breath if I want - only a few tens of meters away is smooth, clean water with no one in it, and I can get there any time I need to (even after a nasty kick).  To date, that little thought process has helped a number of times - for either the claustrophobic feeling of racers all around or the "OH MY GOD I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO BREATH OXYGEN AGAIN AND I'M GOING TO DIE RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW" feeling of having gone out - ahem - a bit too fast.

The other thing you could consider is swimming along the shore edge of a pond.  Here's why.  There are usually blow-downs, weeds, fish and the occasional turtle to deal with.  Sounds minor, but getting used to things popping into your vision can help take the anxiety down on race day.  I know the first time I swam over one particular tree in Walden Pond, my HR went right up to max!  I swear it was reaching for me…  

Good luck with it.  Should get easier, but like all things will likely require some specific work.

Matt 

2014-05-25 9:56 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Hopefully you get used to it, and as you come to expect it, can push that fear aside. Sometimes it's worse than others.

Best advice ever.

I have been a competitive swimmer all my life and while my first OWS experience didn't shake me, I've had a race or two that did. One in particular I somehow floated to start smack in the middle of the pack, my wet suit was choking me - literally constricting my breathing, heart rate out of control - that led to me having to steer completely off the course so I could be alone for a few minutes. In most races (save for an IM mass start) you should be able to navigate your way out of a big pack and work on calming down - that would be my suggestion if it happens during a race.

2014-05-25 9:59 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I know the first time I swam over one particular tree in Walden Pond, my HR went right up to max!  I swear it was reaching for me…  

I know I have run into a Lake Monster myself (Crystal Lake, Valley Center, KS - training for IM Lou 2011). Fastest I think I've ever swam after that
In hindsight the only thing I can logically point to was a turtle due to how hard it was and the size. But I will stick with Lake Monster for the stories.

2014-05-25 11:28 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I know the first time I swam over one particular tree in Walden Pond, my HR went right up to max!  I swear it was reaching for me…  

I know I have run into a Lake Monster myself (Crystal Lake, Valley Center, KS - training for IM Lou 2011). Fastest I think I've ever swam after that
In hindsight the only thing I can logically point to was a turtle due to how hard it was and the size. But I will stick with Lake Monster for the stories.

Just talking about this sort of thing with my wife, who wants to get into swimming.

Rocks, trees, trout, minnows....
It all scares me to death when I see them even though I know there is nothing that will eat me.

There is a big rock in the lake I usually swim, and I close my eyes or swim well around every time.
Scary rock.

As for group swim contact...you kind of get a little used to it, but sometimes you get a hard kick or swam over.
Be careful and relax.
2014-05-25 12:32 PM

User image

Master

Good for you for going back out there with your buddy.  My best advice:  Get a really, really good warm up.  I find that I need a good 10 minutes to get to the point where my breathing doesn't feel restricted, which is a major contributor to my panic.  If my breathing is calm, I find I can deal with the contact, getting kicked, things touching me, floating past my vision.  I get in, dunk my head and breathe out a few times, and then swim around.  This is a great article that may help.  Good luck!

2014-05-25 1:48 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Denver, CO

Is it weird to not be afraid of OWS?  I haven't done it yet and I'm not the strongest swimmer but for some reason it doesn't scare me.  Maybe I'll feel different after I've done it.  I keep reading posts and articles about how scary it is and I'm wondering if I'm just being naive and should be more nervous, or if it's really just a different environment that takes getting used to like everything else.

2014-05-25 5:18 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by laffinrock

Is it weird to not be afraid of OWS?  I haven't done it yet and I'm not the strongest swimmer but for some reason it doesn't scare me.  Maybe I'll feel different after I've done it.  I keep reading posts and articles about how scary it is and I'm wondering if I'm just being naive and should be more nervous, or if it's really just a different environment that takes getting used to like everything else.

No it's not weird and it doesn't have to be scary. But I strongly recommend at least three OWS prior to your first OW race, and prior to that practice simple drilsl on the pool:

side by side swimming, brushign recoveyr elbows
synchronized swimming
swim giving high fives to the person next to you every stroke

3 across:
monkey in the middle (squeeze in towards middle person...middle person swims with wide recovery arms and brushes people aside)

3 front , 1 rear
back person tries to sneak bewteen feet of swimmers in front. Swimmres in front brush elbows and stay relaxed

3 front 3 rear
3 faster people in rear try to sneak between feet of 3 front people

3 front 1 middle 3 rear
Middle person has make a choice...draft off front group, swim thorugh or let rear swimmers past (and draft? )

ou can do all of those in a safe pool environment with friends.

Then do them in OW as well in a non race situation.

Lots of fun to practice. Simulated races tarts with whistles and 20 poeple all sprinting to a first bouy 25 yds from shore is great too...you can simulate 10 starts in a short period of time.

2014-05-25 6:31 PM

User image

I'll be optimistic for you. I think since you had the anxiety event today you'll be fine in your race. It seems like you can definitely swim the distance.

I don't like the "washing machine" of the group start and also I tend to go out much too fast if I'm in the group. Since 5 seconds isn't going to change the result for my day I do not charge into the swim with the group. Instead I wait 3-5 seconds and then go. That way I can have some clear water and avoid some of the flailing arms and legs.
2014-05-25 6:50 PM

I did my first race OWS a bit less than two years ago, and didn't really have any fear. I was not a strong swimmer (that hasn't changed much ) , but I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt I could "survive" in the open water. I credit two things.

One, I can tread water for a long time. Back when I was a teen, a pool lifeguard bet me $10 that I couldn't tread water for 2 hours. I won! I got a wicked egg beater kick. Too bad I cant somehow work it into my freestyle.

Two, learning to surf with my brother and bodyboarding in pretty terrible ocean conditions built my confidence. Despite our complete lack of skill we would paddle out into anything (the whole invincibility of youth thing). Getting pounded in the "soup" by relentless waves, sucked over the falls and pile driven into the ocean floor (thankfully soft sand), getting held down by wave after wave, getting tangled in your leash, etc... really puts "a few kicks and arm swings" from other swimmers into perspective.
2014-05-25 6:54 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True--there is really no need to start front and center, unless you're a top swimmer at ITU or Kona and in it to win it. I'm a good distance swimmer, but I just don't have great sprint speed for the crazy start, and am physically outsized by a lot of people in most of my races, esp. in a mass start with guys. I'm fine with starting to the outside of the front row(s). It might require me to swim some extra distance, but I can usually easily make that up by the first turn (I plan my route to it) as I'm out in clear water, and passing a lot of people I'd otherwise waste time/energy going around anyhow once they slowed after the first few hundred meters. if you're not a confident swimmer, there's no shame in starting at the back. I actually did that in a race in March as I wasn't feeling well and wasn't even sure I could finish the swim--actually ended up in the top six women out of the water, about where I always finish, in a decent time, with zero contact. Start position doesn't matter as much as some of those super-competitive people think it does.

As for fear, the more you can practice, the better it will get. I've swum since infancy, can probably swim twice the IM distance (albeit not that fast) without much ado, but I still panicked my first few ocean OWS.(Thank goodness, just body-surfing with friends, not in a race situation.) I still don't like swimming a long ways straight out to sea, or in opaque water. It gets better with repeated practice, and focusing on simple things like breathing and getting to the next buoy. It's actually pretty rare for contact to result in anything truly disastrous, by the way, as water will diminish the force of kicks and punches from your fellow swimmers. I've been kicked, punched, swum over multiple times in a race and still come out in good position and intact. My most serious injury was getting scratched by another woman--in one case enough to draw blood in multiple places, in another, my wetsuit was damaged! Beware of women with long nails, and stay out of the way of people doing breaststroke!
2014-05-25 7:31 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Big thanks to everyone who replied. Like I said, the fear was running through me like crazy after the first loop, but after that, I got the hang of it, and I was able to focus on things like learning how to properly sight the buoys, look for other swimmers, and understand how to deal with zero visibility underwater. I also got to work on my treading water skills as my buddy was a lot slower than me, so I would swim to one buoy, tread water waiting for her to catch up & give me a thumbs up that she was good & then move on to the next buoy where I would repeat the process.

It gave me confidence, understanding, and a solid belief that I have a good chance to go out & do really well in my first race next week.
2014-05-25 8:51 PM

Originally posted by Meathead

Big thanks to everyone who replied. Like I said, the fear was running through me like crazy after the first loop, but after that, I got the hang of it, and I was able to focus on things like learning how to properly sight the buoys, look for other swimmers, and understand how to deal with zero visibility underwater. I also got to work on my treading water skills as my buddy was a lot slower than me, so I would swim to one buoy, tread water waiting for her to catch up & give me a thumbs up that she was good & then move on to the next buoy where I would repeat the process.

It gave me confidence, understanding, and a solid belief that I have a good chance to go out & do really well in my first race next week.

The first time sucks for a overwhelming majority of folks. Many of whom would say they were overly prepared and confident in their skills. I was one of them, first time scared the crap out of me. I was able to finish but it was a struggle.

The good news, as you noticed, it gets a lot better the second time around. After a few races, you might even feel comfortable pushing the pace for position in the first 100/200 yards. The most important swim advice I like to give new triathletes is to start those first couple races slow (and its very much ignored by most of them as we tend to be a self-confident bunch of people) You can always pick up your pace once you settle in, but those first 100/200 yards should feel too easy. Allow yourself to get comfortable first, then pick up your pace if your feeling good. Back it off if your not. You won't be giving up a lot of time by doing this. Think about the difference between a fast and easy 100 in the pool, its only 10/15 seconds.

2014-05-25 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

good job getting back out there.  for most that it is the hardest part.  

2014-05-25 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Give it a shot and let us know.
2014-05-25 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

depends on the person. some are bothered about rough conditions, and others because they have 3 inches of visibility.  I grew up swimming in lakes, not competitively but splashing around and such and open water doesn't bother me at all.  mass swim starts can get sketchy though and I think everyone needs to approach those with a little caution and definitely find a big group swim that will simulate one before their first race just to get that out of the way. 

2014-05-25 10:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
I remember some hearsay about the WTC thinking about changing all IM races to include individual time trial starts instead of mass starts because of the risks involved. Has anyone else heard about that? Is it actually going to happen? It seems like there's a lot of support for changing it and people generally seem to dislike mass starts. For all the times I've been kicked in the teeth and punched in the head though, I still for whatever reason don't mind them (too much brain damage I guess.) Man I remember once it got so rough, and people were beating each other up so badly that I could hear people screaming underwater. I call it defensive swimming

Edited by trijamie 2014-05-25 10:59 PM
2014-05-26 9:24 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Meathead Big thanks to everyone who replied. Like I said, the fear was running through me like crazy after the first loop, but after that, I got the hang of it, and I was able to focus on things like learning how to properly sight the buoys, look for other swimmers, and understand how to deal with zero visibility underwater. I also got to work on my treading water skills as my buddy was a lot slower than me, so I would swim to one buoy, tread water waiting for her to catch up & give me a thumbs up that she was good & then move on to the next buoy where I would repeat the process. It gave me confidence, understanding, and a solid belief that I have a good chance to go out & do really well in my first race next week.

I hope you have a great race, and by that I mean enjoy the entire experience. Triathlon is really a crazy sport. Swim, run a little and swap gear, bike, run a little and swap gear, then run some more. We have a pretty good and supportive community. I know my first race I told the guy next to me this was my first, and next thing I knew there were a bunch of people helping out and giving advice.

Just make sure you get a picture with a giant goofy grin as you cross the finish. Nothing like it! And let us know how you did.

2014-05-26 10:33 AM

User image

This is truly a rite of passage in the sport. I did my first open water lake swim last week and it really surprised me how hard it was. I had an ocean swimming background many years ago and didn't think it would be any big deal. I was wrong. The wetsuit constricted my chest so much I couldn't get a breathing rhythm. Putting my face in coffee brown water with near zero viz was a chore. I zig-zagged so much I think I did two laps for every one the rest of the peeps were swimming. The first 500m or so were a real . Then it just started smoothing out. By the end of the first lap (750m) I was doing OK. So I swam another lap. Totally different. Breathing every third stroke, face in the water, pressing down, good stroke rhythm. Actually sighting and going much straighter. I'm not a strong or fast swimmer, but I can do this. I thought about all those thousands of yards in the pool, and said, bump this, I can do it.

I plan on doing this every other weekend until Augusta. Priceless experience. Had guys swim right over me a couple of times. Really no big deal, once you get past the concept of this kind of contact!

This is really as mental as it is physical. Once you wrap your head around it, you just do it.
2014-05-26 11:19 AM
in reply to: NewDiz

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NewDiz . Had guys swim right over me a couple of times. Really no big deal, once you get past the concept of this kind of contact! This is really as mental as it is physical. Once you wrap your head around it, you just do it.

^^ This

You just have to relax.  In time, the contact becomes part of the swim for you.  One arm drills help quite a bit IME.  There can be so many times you don't get a decent pull because of contact of one kind or another.....you can train yourself to not worry about it and keep going, using the water that is clear. 

2014-05-26 12:40 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'm totally with you on this. I did my first OWS at Lucky's in FL. (shout out to this super fun attraction!!!) went smoothly and I labeled myself an experienced swimmer and future OWS triathlon champion.

Then I did my first OWS race swim at an Oly and with a wetsuit last may. I freaked the heck out. I called a worker over with his big rescue board and held on for a minute while I regained my composure. Then I swam the rest of the 3/4 of the race with a HR above normal and worried that I'd need a lifeguard again. The anxiety drained me. I literally bombed the rest of the race (heat played a part, too).

I worried for another year. Every single pool workout I did occured with the anxiety of an OWS race swim in the back of my head.

At some point this spring I said to myself "you know what, what if you just float there on your back for like a minute?...so what if you do that several times?" and I went into the race thinking that. I threw any performance goals out of my head, and filled it with comfort goals. Went without a hitch. Now I can focus on being faster next year.

I just don't know how I can convey how much better this swim went than last year. I literally had almost a full on anxiety attack last year. I say this, not condemning those with anxiety issues, but that is NOT me. I'm a worrier, maybe, but I certainly never let it slow me down when it comes to it. I like to be prepared, maybe overly so, but somehow I was not prepared. I'm not really sure what I could have done differently other than to expect that I couldn't have planned for it!
2014-05-26 1:13 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by ImSore

One, I can tread water for a long time. Back when I was a teen, a pool lifeguard bet me $10 that I couldn't tread water for 2 hours. I won! I got a wicked egg beater kick. Too bad I cant somehow work it into my freestyle.

Part of the kids survival swim training my school did for us as 8 and 9 year olds featured a treading water component. 10 minutes of treading wearing your pajamas. Then get out of the pjs without touching bottom or the side. Then 10 more mins treading and then some distance swimming. All that for the bronze award.

Worth doing some water comfort exercises along with pool laps to build confidence should things go badly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first OWS was the scariest thing I have ever done Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Strangest thing you have ever done...

Started by Mike J
Views: 1606 Posts: 21

2011-10-03 11:55 AM TriAya

Two of the hardest things I've ever done

Started by caltexsteel
Views: 1683 Posts: 14

2010-03-28 6:14 PM Scottie07

Am i doing the right thing?

Started by cj1212