United States
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 14m 50s
Overall Rank = 20/414
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/40
Pre-race routine:

Woke up without any problems, which is rare for me, and ate breakfast of 2 eggs, waffle with syrup and Cytomax Pre-Formance. Had no problems eating either, which is also rare for me, but kind of goes to the point that I really had limited to no pre-race nerves for this tri. The week leading up to it was primarily focused on recovering from the 1/2 IM the week before and making sure my body wasn't ridiculously sore, and while I wanted to go fast, I didn't feel any pressure to perform.

Drove to transition and got there very early considering it didn't close until 7:30 and we weren't expected to start our swim until around 8:35.
Event warmup:

Lots of walking around and wasting time. Finally got close enough that Adam, Mark and I went for a run to loosen up, and then Adam and I went for a quick bike ride. Went down to the beach, stood in the rain for a while and froze, into the bathroom's locker room area with about 20 other guys to stay warmer, then finally got into the water. Talked to Josh (Pearl Dad) for a bit and then after what felt like forever, it was time to get in line and go.
Swim
  • 11m 23s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

Awful swim performance (swim time includes run up to T1). This was worse than last year when I was a worse swimmer. My goal was to be out of the water in 9', but I got out in 10'05". After rounding the first buoy, I looked up to site and started swimming to the next buoy I saw. Turns out I was going for the buoy for the return part of the swim and wasted a ton of time going off course. I was probably 20-25 meters away from it before one of the kayakers casually pointed to the correct one. I take full responsibility for messing this up, but it would have been nice if the kayaker, after seeing me swimming waaayyyy off course, would have come over and helped me out a little sooner. I don't think I would have hit my goal time anyway, but I probably lost about 45" on this. For the rest of the swim, after about 200 meters, I could feel the residual fatigue in my arms from the previous weekend. I was trying to maintain a fast turnover, but it was more of a medium paced turnover with a weak pull. Also gagged on some boat fuel a couple times, so needless to say, I was glad to get out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Stay on course!
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I wasn't going to use the wetsuit strippers this year, but saw Julia there and figured why the hell not. This was 100% no non-sense, which was appreciated since seconds in transition matter. However, once I got to my bike, the guy who I racked next to (same rack) had his bike on my towel, leaning against my bike. WTF?!! Needless to say I was a bit perturbed. After untangling the handlebars, I put his bike on the ground, got into my shoes and took off. Probably wasted 10-15" messing around with that, which annoyed me greatly.

Not rack next to idiots. This wasn't a beginner mistake because I talked to him beforehand, and he ended up placing for the duathlon.
Bike
  • 41m 15s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike started out okay, even on the first couple hills. About midway in it became apparent that my legs were suffering the same fate as my arms did, and I had a tough time pushing hard. Wondering if some of it's due to lack of doing a sprint or TT recently and not remembering how to get into that all out suffer mode, or also because of some fatigue still. I'm guessing a combination of both. Either way, I did what I could, but knew I was going to be off my expected bike split time. I saw Josh on the ride and he yelled encouragement as I went by. Unfortunately I ha no idea who it was at the time, and figured it out about 20" afterwards. Sorry Josh! The rain was starting to pick up about 3/4 of the way through, but fortunately I knew the course and was able to get back without it getting to me too much.

I think I did what I could with what I had left in my tank.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

It became apparent that noone wanted me to transition well. There was a guy unclipping in the middle of the cones, right in front of the gates to enter transition that was in everyone's way. Then when I got into T2, someone was in my spot. Are you kidding me? After playing with that, I re-racked and got out of there. This was probably only 5", but it didn't help my overall annoyance with the people I racked with.

Not rack next to idiots. Again, this was a more experienced athlete and not a first-timers mistake.
Run
  • 20m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out with the intentions of collecting myself and then picking it up. Saw Yvonne and Pete on the way out and Pete's comment was "this is the last 5k of your season!" I kept thinking about that when I needed to pick it up. After about the first 1/2 mile I could feel the tightness in my hamstrings, but kept focusing on a forward lean, high cadence driving elbows back, and staying relaxed. Saw several people, including Dan (velocomp) who had already hit the turn around and was well in front of me. His comment was to come and catch him. Was able to relax a little bit after the turn around and after mile 2, I knew I was pretty much in the clear. I saw Dan and started thinking I might be able to catch him. Once I hit the area that I had pre-determined would be where my kick started, I opened up and went by Dan in the chute. Sorry Dan, I had to!

Turns out that this 5k was a PR, besting my previous of 20'25", which was done in an open 5k. I have no idea where the legs came from, because they felt heavy. Maybe the new running form is finally starting to pay its dividends?! This was probably the highlight of my day.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food and a beer and hung out with Mark, Adam, Stacie, Julia, Yvonne, Pete, and Drew (did I miss anyone) and watched the awards.

Compared to last year, my swim was 4" slower, my bike speed was about 0.2mph faster (and I came in fresh the previous year), my transitions were better, and my run was 3'08" faster. I ran a 7'27"/mile as compared to a 6'33"/mile this year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Having done the 1/2 IM 5 days prior. On the swim and the bike I didn't feel like I could give much more than 80-85% of what I was capable of doing.

2. The other thing was that I wasn't fully there mentally (insert joke here) and let some of the little things get to me.

3. Racking next to idiots!

Event comments:

Hopefully I don't come across as too negative on this race since some of that was due to me not being able to get too pumped up for it. However, it didn't start on time (possibly due to the rain) and the start wasn't as organized as last year. Last year you had to line up according to numbers in your AG. This year it was very scattered. Also, coming into T2 they had a dismount line last year rather than people dismounting right in front of the gates/all over the place. There were a couple other small things as well but it could just be me being picky so I won't mention it.

Last updated: 2006-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:23 | 500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/414
Performance: Bad
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: Triangle out and back.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:15 | 14.3 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/40
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. They ended up lengthening the course by about 2.3 miles without telling us beforehand.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:19 | 03.1 miles | 06m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/40
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, mostly flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Rattlesnake Triathlon - Sprint

2006-08-21 10:39 AM
in reply to: #517383

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Triathlon - Sprint
Nice race Ryan!!  Good way to cap off a season with a PR on the 5k!  And I truly enjoyed ripping your wetsuit off   idiots aside, (including yourself on the swim...)  it was a great race for you considering your feat the week before.  CONGRATS!
2006-08-21 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, Colorado
I look forward to the day I have as bad a race as you.  1:14 is a great time for a bad race.  Excellent job on the run as well.
2006-08-21 11:03 AM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Nice race on some tired legs!
2006-08-21 11:06 AM
in reply to: #517438

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
I hope I never rack next to people like that.   Sounds like you had a good race even though you were still recovering.  It was good to meet you out there.
2006-08-21 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Good run!  How's that for a limited compliment?  Sorry about the swim and lack of legs for the ride, but that really is a blazing 5K.  I knew you could get there, what did I say, shoot for 6:35?  And then you beat that.  Nice work. 

2006-08-21 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Nice race....you ran freakin fast.

"After untangling the handlebars, I put his bike on the ground"- very funny.

Enjoy your college football this fall. ..see you on the circuit next year.
2006-08-21 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
I need to learn to not taunt the competition. Just kidding, way to go. I knew you had it in you to catch me on the run, and I tried to pick it up at the end to prevent it, but...
2006-08-21 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Denver
That was a blistering run. Maybe you need to get frustrated about transition at every race. Sounds like an exciting swim too, but really, next time there's no need to take longer just to make us slow people feel better. Congrats on a great season.
2006-08-21 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

AWESOME job racing so close to the HIM!!!

And a 5k PR?  Wow!

2006-08-21 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Way to go making it all come together on the run, especially after all the preceeding frustrations!

2006-08-21 2:01 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
wow, that was one stellar run!  Nice work!  Nice race overall too.  Tough day with the weather and the idiots
2006-08-21 3:16 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
That swim was funky and I think a bit long! Oh well.  It looks like from everyones report that I have read, You passed them!  So nice work on the run in the late season.  Enjoy some rest.  4th in your agegroup is damn good.  Congrats.
2006-08-21 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Ryan you had a great race. Nice season!
2006-08-21 6:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Way to overcome the mental challenges of idiots!!  Nice race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed