Cycling PEI
13C / 55F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 43s
Overall Rank = 5/21
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

For the couple of weeks leading up to this race I had done minimal running and nothing with any intensity due to a knee issue. I was pretty sure everything was resolved but it was a bit of an unknown for sure.

The race was scheduled to start at 10:00am and it was about a 30 min drive so I had lots of time in the morning to get ready. Got to the race site in plenty of time and registered quickly.
Event warmup:

Did one lap of the bike course (10k) with Tab with a few 30s accelerations to target power. Took note of a few bad spots in the pavement but everything was really well marked by the organizers. Everything felt good on the bike so I picked a spot on the rack once we got back and set everything up. With about 20 minutes to go I went for a run and did a few 30s pickups to race pace. Felt ok for this, not awesome but ok. Noticed there were a lot of soft spots on the road (run is on a dirt road section). Not soft like loose sand but soft like a trampoline, the ground would sag under my feet and then return, a very strange sensation. You couldn't tell what would do it by looking at it so it just happened now and then. I got back to the start with about 5 mins to go.... and then waited 15 minutes as they were behind schedule.
Run
  • 20m 39s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 08s  min/km
Comments:

https://www.strava.com/activities/306621984

I started out feeling a bit tight, the extra 15 minutes late didn't help that. Goal was to run in the 4:15-4:25/km range and I did that with the exception of KM 2 which had a bit of a hill and was also into the wind. I pretty much just ran my race plan here, some people started too fast and I ended up passing them, one started behind me and ended up passing me. One guy that I figured I had no chance of beating over all was only about a minute ahead of me on the run and I usually ride faster than him so I thought maybe I had a chance if he didn't get too far. Got into T1 feeling pretty good about the run (and happy my knee seemed ok).

What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Time is an estimate based on official times that include Run + T1 and what I got on my watch. Got through everything smoothly and without issue and onto the bike quickly.
Bike
  • 32m 57s
  • 20 kms
  • 36.42 km/hr
Comments:

https://www.strava.com/activities/306622351

I decided to do this race on my road bike as I will be using it for Alcatraz in a few weeks as well. I had my FLO 60 and wheel cover on the back as well as shorty aerobars so still a half decent setup for speed.

I got on the bike and up to speed fairly quickly and slipped my feet into my shoes. The first 2 mins of the course were up a bit of a hill and right into the teeth of the wind so it was slow going. Target power for the ride was 275w and I quickly got myself in that range. For the entire ride I was able to hold a pretty steady power and felt pretty good. I picked off a couple of people within a few minutes and could see Gaetan up the road and was gaining ground. I caught him about 7 or 8 km into the first lap. I may have put a bit of extra power into the pass to discourage him... ;)

I went through the first lap at 280w and feeling strong. Kept up the effort for the 2nd lap but didn't have anyone up the road that I could chase. I was at 276w for the 2nd lap when I got to where I took my feet out of my shoes in preparation for dismount. Overall for the ride was 276w - easily the most power I've ridden in a sprint.
What would you do differently?:

If I wanted to be as fast as possible I would have ridden my P3. I did this race 2 years ago on that bike and went almost a minute faster on only 250w.
Transition 2
  • 00m 22s
Comments:

Good dismount and I was able to switch to run mode quickly.
Run
  • 20m 49s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 10s  min/km
Comments:

https://www.strava.com/activities/306622016

Same exact run course as the first one. Right out of the gate my legs felt like crap and the soft dirt didn't help! I just tried to hit the target effort/pace and see what happens. Went through the first 2K doing 4:30 which was a bit slow but then I started feeling better and each KM from there got faster. At no point during the outward run did I look behind me to see where Gaetan was but at the turnaround I saw he was only 15-20s back so I knew I likely had no chance of beating him. Turns out he was running sub 4 min kms so he clearly took things easy on the first run! He caught me shortly after that and I had no hope of running with him. From there I just kept a steady effort to the finish and crossed the line happy with the effort and happy with the knee!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee issues a few weeks before. I probably could have run a bit faster but nothing massive.

Last updated: 2015-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:39 | 05 kms | 04m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 7/21
Performance:
Course: Out and back on a mostly dirt road.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:32
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:32:57 | 20 kms | 36.42 km/hr
Overall: 1/21
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 2 10k laps on a fairly flat course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:22
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:49 | 05 kms | 04m 10s  min/km
Overall: 7/21
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-05-27 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: China Point Duathlon

2015-05-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: #5118375

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: China Point Duathlon

CRAZY even run splits!  Awesome to have paced it so well.  I also love putting in a little extra power to "discourage" the competition...  That's racing!

Congrats on a well executed race and glad the knee held!

Matt

2015-05-27 11:48 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Awesome job. Those two runs seems to be well paced!

So, duathlons are typically run bike run format? 

2015-05-27 11:51 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Awesome job. Those two runs seems to be well paced!

So, duathlons are typically run bike run format? 

Lots of variations in duathlons but yes I would say that's typical.  Sometimes the runs are different lengths with a short run first and long second or the other way around.

You should do one, you have a bike for it now!  

2015-05-28 8:38 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

10am start? I gotta do more duathlons! Nice work, Arend - very happy the knee held up and continues to resolve well. I know you are a big dude, but that still seems like crazy bif watts to me - all your winter work on the trainer is really going to pay off at Alcatraz. Very interesting to read the difference between time and effort from roadie to TT bike. Amazing the difference position on the bike makes. Off to read the next one.

2015-05-28 9:20 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I just can't get over the irony of a SWIMMER doing a duathlon!  Nice race, Arend!  Glad to hear the knee held up....some speedy runs you threw down!

2015-05-28 1:00 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Nice job! Great way to start out the season!

Good luck at Alcatraz! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » China Point Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cycling PEI China Point TT + Road Race

Started by axteraa
Views: 1523 Posts: 8

2013-09-03 2:42 PM brigby1

PEI Duathlon #1 - China Point

Started by axteraa
Views: 1448 Posts: 14

2013-05-10 3:16 PM MichelleK

China Point Duathlon

Started by axteraa
Views: 1255 Posts: 1

2011-05-24 4:57 AM axteraa

West Point Duathlon

Started by amschrod
Views: 1247 Posts: 1

2011-04-06 4:08 PM amschrod

West Point Duathlon

Started by artiwhit20
Views: 778 Posts: 1

2011-04-03 5:48 PM artiwhit20
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.