General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Smelly bike/running shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-08 10:18 AM

User image

Subject: Smelly bike/running shoes
I recently moved to S Florida and I recently discovered that the humidity is wreaking havoc on my bike and running shoes. I sweat A LOT when working out so my feet are drenched when I finish a workout longer than an hour. Because it is so humid here my shoes never have a chance to dry out, so in the month that I've been here my shoes have started to acquire a wicked stench.
Any tips or tricks on dealing with this?

2015-09-08 10:24 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Smelly bike/running shoes

I just use the old trick of stuffing my bike and running shoes with newspaper to dry them out.   I'll also give them a dusting of baby powder on occasion.  

Mark

2015-09-08 12:40 PM

User image

South Texas
I live in south Texas just miles from the gulf so we have extreme humidity and high temperatures and I too sweat profusely. Shoes never drying was a smelly problem until I got a Peet shoe dryer. I use it for my running and/or cycling shoes after each workout. If they are drenched through (which is most of the time) I remove the insoles. The dryer has been great. No smells no need to leave shoes outside (where they wouldn't dry anyway) I just put them on the dryer and turn it on and they're dry when I need them.
2015-09-08 1:15 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I live in the most southern end of South Florida and for me, it's just replacing certain items (shoes, visors, HRM straps) more often than not. Also, washing items that you can wash regularly, right away.

On the plus side, my wife just bought me new bike shoes for my birthday, and the core reason was the smell of the old ones...but whatever, I got new shoes!
2015-09-08 1:23 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I can tell you that it's possible to put both running and bike shoes (cleats removed!) in the washing machine and to wash them with regular detergent, etc.  I let them air dry.    Since this is a consistent problem for you, maybe this isn't the best long term solution, but it will freshen things up.   I have found my running shoes last LONGER since I've started doing this.

I was going to replace my favorite tri bike shoes until I decided to just give this a whirl, thinking they were destined for the trash anyway.  Mine are made intolerable after sweating lake water on them during a race.  They were as good as new.

2015-09-08 1:56 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
This won't help your current pair much, unless you can get the stench out and start fresh, but I use a boot warmer to get my shoes dry after a workout. I'm a heavy sweater, so any workout over 30 minutes usually involves squishy shoes, which definitely stunk! My wife got me the boot warmer for Christmas (purchased from a farm supply store) and I've been using it ever since. New shoes in June and after three months of heavy wear using the boot warmer, they do not smell at all!

Probably doesn't make a difference to the OP, who lives in FL, but for those in the northern climates, the added bonus is that your shoes are toasty warm when you put them on too!!

2015-09-08 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
being in Hawaii I deal with this too.

I take out the insoles and open up the shoes to let them dry. If it's really soaked, I tilt them and let the water pool and soak up that with paper towels.
Dries much faster that way.

Also getting a second pair helps to rotate the wet shoes with dry ones.

Febreeze Sport Active Fresh might help.

Also Renuzit Super Odor Neutralizer works well.
2015-09-09 8:56 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Another vote for a shoe dryer!

2015-09-09 9:33 AM

User image

Peet boot dryer. They make a two pair version that you can keep both running and cycling shoes on all the time.

Cheaper version is get a box fan and leave it on low. Put the running shoes and bike shoes on the floor in front of it. They'll dry by next time you need them.

2015-09-09 11:20 AM
in reply to: DanielG

All the above. And in the future, I would recommend buying two pairs of shoes at a time.

I always have two pairs of nearly identical running shoes (sometimes the color is different) so you always give the recently used pair plenty of time to dry out. Unless you think you may stop exercising sometime soon, you will actually save money in the long run because they will wear out just as slow, or possibly even slower since wet shoes are more likely to degrade before their time.

Obviously it costs a bit more up front, but it's well worth it.
2015-09-09 6:01 PM

User image

For my cycling shoes, I stuff them with newspaper or paper towels to help them dry.  To wash them, I just use a bucket and normal liquid laundry detergent and a hand brush and scrub them down...then dunk them up and down in the soapy water 15-20 times before rinsing them out.

I could do the washing machine thing...but that seems like an awful lot of water to waste just to wash a pair of shoes.  There is no way I'm sticking other clothes in there at the same time.

2015-09-09 6:10 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

My shoes are currently stuffed with newspapers (I did 30 miles on the trainer today and by the end of it I felt like I was on the swim leg!). I am looking into the dryer/ fan fix. Thanks for the info and sweaty foot solidarity!
2015-09-09 6:23 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by mtrunner6

My shoes are currently stuffed with newspapers (I did 30 miles on the trainer today and by the end of it I felt like I was on the swim leg!). I am looking into the dryer/ fan fix. Thanks for the info and sweaty foot solidarity!

I'll try to attach a picture to give you some ideas.

If you like to make stuff you can make a shoe dryer out of PVC pipes and some sort of fan or blow dryer.

(g8NLc.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
g8NLc.jpg (166KB - 16 downloads)
2015-09-09 6:51 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

New user
East Tennessee
I recommend something like this -

http://www.ringside.com/ringside/ringside-glove-dogs-boxing-glove-d...

I use them in my gloves (boxing) and shoes.
2015-09-10 11:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Boot drier is great for all shoes.

I wash my bike shoes in the top rack of the dishwasher w/o other dishes but no dry cyle facing down with insole removed. Remove them and stuff with paper to get water out then on boot dryer and they are ready to go the next day.

If they get to ripe, they tend to always smell.

2015-09-11 7:34 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ditto the situation here in Vietnam. Any run of over an hour usually results in shoes sloshing in sweat. I remove the insoles and leave to dry, sometimes sprinkle the inside of the shoes with talcum powder. (This is also great in a race for helping socks and shoes to slide on easily.) I sometimes have as many as three pairs of shoes that I rotate (two regular trainers and another pair for speed work/racing).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Smelly bike/running shoes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike shoes or running shoes on bike in sprint

Started by NDIrishO3
Views: 1018 Posts: 4

2010-07-07 1:20 PM RedCorvette

Smelly Bike Shoes

Started by harleyclone
Views: 817 Posts: 4

2010-06-23 4:36 PM KathyG

smelly bike shoes

Started by jogo
Views: 1237 Posts: 18

2009-07-28 9:52 PM jogo

Sockless Cycling and Smelly Bike Shoes

Started by supa-powa
Views: 1962 Posts: 11

2009-07-21 1:36 AM supa-powa

SMELLY SHOES

Started by swbkrun
Views: 1256 Posts: 10

2007-12-06 8:03 PM tjtryon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : March 9, 2010
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.