General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Embarassed by bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-11-04 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: Embarassed by bike
Did my first oly this summer and felt awkward rolling up on my 10 year old road bike. So many people with beautiful tri bikes. And team jerseys. Well joined a tri club and will have my own nifty team jersey, but will still have my old road bike. Got it at a bike shop and it's light enough but it was definitely one of the less expensive bikes.
I still ride my brakes going downhill and have put nowhere near the miles in that I should be doing so part of me thinks a better road bike or tri bike is silly and I can put it on a credit card but really don't have the money (damn kids needing to go to college next year).

Should I just live with the shame and work to get faster anyway or (I hope you'll say) I'm just being self conscious and not to worry what people think of my bike? It is cherry red and I've got an appointment to get it overhauled. I just learned that I was supposed to be cleaning it.

BTW, came in near last in the oly (my supper slow swim really killed my time, but I did cross the line smiling (my goal). Yes, I'm taking swim lessons now, with my new tri team - yea.

Mitzi

2015-11-04 9:30 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Embarassed by bike

Shame?

What you need to understand is that NOBODY cares what your bike looks like......or likely even remembers from one race to another.  Don't get wrapped up in the whole image thing.....it's a complete dead end.

Keep working, have fun!!

2015-11-04 9:36 AM
in reply to: #5150608

You have a bike! That's all you need ??
2015-11-04 9:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

There's no shame in an older bike.  I love seeing people race on older bikes.  Don't be shy about it, own it!

First race I did was on a girls hybrid and I heard more then one comment about it by a couple DB's going into transition.  That was a number of years ago and I haven't seen that type of behavior in awhile.   I was more self conscious about getting a tri bike but probably because it gave my buddies a reason to razz me.   Don't buy a new bike worrying about what someone thinks.  IMO the only time you should be concerned about public opinion with a bike is in regards to color.  And that's because white is the fastest and yes both my bikes are white.

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2015-11-04 9:37 AM
2015-11-04 9:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Congrats on your Oly! The smile on your face is the most important thing ))))

I bike on the old road bike and I love it! Fitness is more important than bike's appearance, as my co-worker (a cyclist) likes to say (about her friend who spends tons of money on skiing stuff, but has absolutely zero idea about skiing): "you have one dollar body with $10k worth accessories..."

Continue coming to the races and you will see people on the mountain bikes, recreational bikes, old, new, colorful, plain... It does not matter

Good luck with your training and tri team! I bet it will be fun experience
Mary

Edited by marysia83 2015-11-04 9:40 AM
2015-11-04 9:41 AM

User image

Portland, Oregon
Hey, at least you said it's a road bike, right? At most triathlons I've done there's a sizable contingent of participants on mountain bikes in running shoes. They don't seem ashamed of their bikes, and neither should you! Set some personal fitness goals to keep you motivated, and save your money for your kids' college fund.

BTW, I may not have mentioned that I have a pretty nice road bike, and up until recently those mountain bikers in running shoes were passing me pretty regularly...It's really more about the work you put in!

2015-11-04 9:43 AM
in reply to: martymo

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by martymo

Hey, at least you said it's a road bike, right? At most triathlons I've done there's a sizable contingent of participants on mountain bikes in running shoes. They don't seem ashamed of their bikes, and neither should you! Set some personal fitness goals to keep you motivated, and save your money for your kids' college fund.

BTW, I may not have mentioned that I have a pretty nice road bike, and up until recently those mountain bikers in running shoes were passing me pretty regularly...It's really more about the work you put in!

haha I'm the one in running shoes too
Mary
2015-11-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Shame?

What you need to understand is that NOBODY cares what your bike looks like......or likely even remembers from one race to another.  Don't get wrapped up in the whole image thing.....it's a complete dead end.

Keep working, have fun!!

Yes, this.

In the end we are doing this for enjoyment and health- isn't that what's important?

I did my first tri on my son's used mountain bike.

My bike is newer, but it's not a fancy tri bike or road bike-- it's a cross bike and I didn't bother putting skinny road tires on, like people suggested. I also usually wear my regular running clothes-- no fancy jerseys. In my second tri also used my running shoes and flat pedals because I was afraid of being clipped in at the time. I passed a guy a fancy road bike with aerobars in a cycling jersey coming down one of the hills.
2015-11-04 10:06 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I used to have a nice little collection bikes that I never rode when I was married the first time to a rich guy. Sold them all when I got divorced and needed the money.
Now, ten years later, I decided I wanted to get into fitness again. I ride an upright city bike with a step through frame. Pushing hard, I can maybe get her up to 11 mph on flat ground. But you know what? I still feel the wind in my hair, my handling improves every day, and it is just plain fun. Don't let yourself feel shame just because of your bike style. Seriously, no one cares. Just get out there!
2015-11-04 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
My first season (2007) I used my road bike I got in 1976. I got a new road bike in March of 2009 and a tri bike in 2011.
2015-11-04 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Don't be concerned about what others think. Bike times are 95% physical plus mental, maybe 5% equipment. Get that 95% taken care of then in time you can worry about that other 5%. If you keep at it and improve, you might have some fun passing those really expensive bikes. I did my first CX race a couple weeks ago (Cyclocross) and I don't have a CX bike. All I had was this 25 year old pink and green heavy steel mountain bike. I wasn't embarrassed and to embarrass myself even more I was the only racer that had a water bottle on the bike. It was only a 30 minute race....

(22499907191_26a323f820_o.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
22499907191_26a323f820_o.jpg (138KB - 7 downloads)

2015-11-04 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

As others have said, don't worry about your bike, it's all about you and your fitness etc... Speaking for myself, when I see older road bikes, mountain bikes, 3-speeds etc. in a race, if I even give it a second thought it's usually something like good for them, they're out here racing, using the bike they have.  Other times when I see someone on an older road bike or mountain bike and they're absolutely shredding it I think there goes a great example of it's the engine not the vehicle that matters most... 

If anything, more people (myself included) tend to negatively judge the participant who has little skill but a $10K bike.... Known as "Fred's"....

I'm not knocking the person who has the financial resources to buy a really nice bike as they're dabbling in the sport, however when it's a REALLY nice bike they stick out and get judged...

2015-11-04 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Until this year, my tri bike was well over 10 years old. A round-tubed standard frame, but I dialed in the fit and it was comfortable, used race wheels, and it got me 90% of the way to the high-zoot set-ups. I was still posting top-10 OA and top-3 AG placings. The bike wasn't holding me back in any way. And no one cared that I wasn't sporting the latest slippery carbon wunderbike. We all congratulated each other just the same at the finish line.

The only reason I'm selling it is that I've made another tri frame for myself. Can't wait to rock that in an event!

2015-11-04 12:13 PM

Heck....in two years of doing tris on a cushy hybrid (with air on the seat and the forks! what a ride. I will never give that bike up. When I go out with the kids, that's what I'm riding. It's a giant pillow with wheels), I found that I got comments of appreciation and....almost.....'respect' for legging it out on a hybrid. Also, there's nothing better in the world than passing some on a $2500 bike with $800 wheels and a bug-like aero helmet when you're wearing regular swim jammers ('cause you haven't bothered with tri shorts) and a ratty t-shirt ('cause you haven't bothered with a tri-top)....on a hybrid.

I will always be a "bike" behind. Fine with me. The shorter races I did, I would say there was about 5% hybrid/mountain bike, 65% road bike, 30% tri.

I moved up to a road bike. Did my first Olympic length. Probably .5% hybrid and maybe 50-50 on road/tri. Maybe a few more tri than road, but not many.

Did a 70.3 and then it was probably close to 73% tri.....27% road....and .00008% other

Clearly I noticed measuring myself to other bikes. But, nobody was noticing or measuring themselves against me. Except as noted to recognize the extra effort I was putting in.
2015-11-04 12:30 PM

Not even exaggerating here when I say that experienced triathletes are not looking at you and thinking your bike is embarrassing.

In fact, experienced triathletes will look at your bike, and think - "now there's someone who knows that the training counts a lot more than the gear, and they're focusing their energy and money in the right place."

Rock that road bike with pride.  Overpriced tribikes are so common amongst beginners now that it's passe, and especially folks riding $3k+ aerobikes yet having inferior body position on the bike such that it completely negates any of those uber-expensive aero gains they hoped to get on the tribike.

2015-11-04 12:53 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Huh, I just realized my roadie is 10 years old. How'd that happen?  Well, I am still riding it in races and having a good time.

I think as long as you're on a lightweight frame, road style bike, no one is looking at you and thinking anything about your bike.

Now, when I see people on bikes that are not conducive to racing (not a road or tri bike, or very heavy, etc) I think "I wonder if that person knows what they are missing?"  So, I am not judging you negatively but rather hoping that you can upgrade to a better bike for the occasion.  I see SO MANY people post here, and say in real life, that they don't "deserve" a better bike, or are trying to hit a certain goal before getting a decent bike.   I think if you can afford it, and want it, go for it.  A newer bike will improve your racing situation, most likely.  But don't do it out of embarrassment. 

2015-11-04 12:59 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Don't be embarrassed. Anyone that gives you flak about your equipment is either:

1) Someone who's not worth knowing.
2) A good friend having fun with you.

My first 3 tris were all completed with a GMC Denali from WalMart on the bike leg. It's what got me out there. Plus it's got sentimental value because my wife got it for me
2015-11-04 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I'm going to go slightly against the grain here. I agree completely that it doesn't matter what others think. If someone else doesn't like your bike that's their problem. But if you don't like your bike you're not going to want to ride it. If having a different bike would make you want to ride more that's something to take into consideration.
Don
2015-11-04 2:16 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Pro

Originally posted by donw I'm going to go slightly against the grain here. I agree completely that it doesn't matter what others think. If someone else doesn't like your bike that's their problem. But if you don't like your bike you're not going to want to ride it. If having a different bike would make you want to ride more that's something to take into consideration. Don

That's true enough.....if triathlon was all there was to life.  But since it's such an insignificant part of it, then it doesn't make sense to spend the money if you need it for something else.....like college for the kid,  as the OP stated.

Still, I think if I had my own airplane I'd like to fly more.

2015-11-04 2:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

One more thing-

Your profile picture embodies the spirit and joy of the sport. You look awesome. Be proud.
2015-11-04 2:33 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs One more thing- Your profile picture embodies the spirit and joy of the sport. You look awesome. Be proud.

Right on the money!!

2015-11-04 3:49 PM

User image

New user
WOW Congrats on your Oly! I will echo what everybody else has said, nobody is looking at your bike they are too busy breathing and moving. If they are looking at you it is as a fellow competitor I did my first 2 sprints on a mountain bike before I bought a second hand road bike which is now 10 years old.

I sometimes chuckle to myself and think at least mine would never get stolen out of a group of other bikes that cost the same as my car lol.
2015-11-04 5:41 PM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Is the bike old but in good shape? or is it starting to fall down a little? Perhaps some new bar wrap, tires, cables and a tune up are all that is needed to make that bike "new" again. Doing that will be quite a bit less expensive than a new one as well.

Despite buying a new mountain bike this year I still have my old one from 2000 and it will be pried out of my cold dead hands. In fact I just upgraded it to disc brakes to "make it new again"
2015-11-05 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Like you, I started out on what I had. For a few seasons I raced on a steel Huffy that my mom bought when she was pregnant with me 36 years ago. It was so old they don't make compatible crank threads so I had to use pedal cages. I weighed it once -- without the kickstand it was 35 pounds.

The good news is a heavy/old bike really only hinders you on the uphills. On a flat course there's no real detriment and on a downhill course it may even to be your advantage! Plus if you do group rides with your tri club you'll want a road bike anyway. The fact that you are on a real road bike probably puts you ahead of many newbie triathletes who are using whatever they have in their garage.

If it makes you feel better, I bought an entry-level tri bike used -- so still one of the crappiest bikes in transition although it's my most prized possession -- and I'm still slow. =) The engine is what's most important! Keep working at it -- you'll make progress, and by the time you get the kids paying their own student loans you can justify a slick new tri bike! =)
2015-11-05 8:23 AM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
at least mine would never get stolen out of a group of other bikes that cost the same as my car lol.

This is another advantage! =)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Embarassed by bike Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9222 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3327 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

sold bike, bike not in yet, broke other bike...depressed

Started by anth0424
Views: 1217 Posts: 7

2009-03-01 9:05 AM zeroviz

From Road bike to Tri bike *NEW BIKE*

Started by bradword
Views: 2290 Posts: 19

2007-08-25 10:21 PM tkbslc

Bikes bikes bikes!!!!

Started by mikenhe
Views: 921 Posts: 4

2004-06-07 8:54 AM GamblerZ
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.