General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What did I do wrong with my Xterra Vortex? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-04-20 9:41 AM

Subject: What did I do wrong with my Xterra Vortex?
I trashed my new Xterra wetsuit at the Try Charleston Half Distance last weekend.

T1 and T2 were at different locations so the race organizers offered five gallon plastic bags for swim gear and transported them to the finish so all our gear was in one place at the end of the day. When I got home and pulled the suit out of the bag (it couldn't have been in there for more than three hours) the front of the chest had melted together and ripped to pieces. This came as quite a surprise to me. It wasn't that hot a day (high of 73) and as far as I can tell everyone did the same thing with their suits.

When I emailed Xterra about it they said it was "use related" damage and not covered under the warranty.

I'm not saying Xterra is wrong, but I don't know how else one is supposed to use a triathlon wetsuit in longer races.

Does anyone here have any idea what I might have done wrong that led to such a catastrophic failure of the suit? Is there some important step I should have taken to avoid melting the suit?

Edited by chrisbundrick 2016-04-20 9:42 AM

(wetsuit.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
wetsuit.jpg (57KB - 10 downloads)

2016-04-20 10:05 AM
in reply to: chrisbundrick

User image

Subject: RE: What did I do wrong with my Xterra Vortex?
That's not use related. I assume you sent the pics? I'd call them and speak to someone as that's not normal. I've done what you did on several occasions with x terra suits and never had that happen
2016-04-20 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I handed my bag over the fence to my wife (I was there) at T1.

That looks, to me, like something damaged in handling. My suit stayed in the bag until I got home (to NC) on Sunday afternoon. No damage, at all.
2016-04-20 10:08 AM

that is weird. that day was definitely not that hot to do that unless somebody put your bag somewhere really hot during transport. was anything else damaged? Could some sort of glue gotten on it? so weird.
2016-04-20 1:09 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

I emailed them the same picture when I first contacted them. Based on the responses so far on this thread, I'm going to try again and see if there isn't some way to get it warrantied.

If I had abused it I would suck it up, but I just honestly don't believe I did anything to the suit that could have conceivably led to that.

C

2016-04-20 5:53 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

A couple of years ago we were on vacation and I brought my sleeveless suit with me up to our NY cottage and did some lake Ontario swims.  On the way home we stopped by my BIL house in Charlotte, we got there late and figured we'd empty the SUV the next morning, I recall saying I get it out and hang it when we get there.  Well the sun happened to rise right into the rear window, sure enough my suit was sitting on top.  I went out at 10am to get it and it was just like yours.  Perhaps the sun was just concentrated enough somewhere along the way to fuse it together.

2016-04-20 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
sorry, that sux
2016-04-21 12:12 PM

Have you contacted the race organizer as well? Im sure they have a disclaimer that they are not responsible for your items during the race, but they took possession of your wetsuit and agreed to transport it for you, so they probably owe you some duty of care. If they were of any good business sense they would just cover your cost to replace.
2016-04-21 1:07 PM

Well, round one of the email seems to be over.

I guess what I'm hearing is that the suits aren't really designed to stand up to what I understand to be normal use. Fair enough, I guess, but I wish I'd known the damn things were so fragile before I spent so much money on what turned out to be a single-use suit.

------
Hi Christopher,

The damage to your wetsuit is a use related issue and is not covered under warranty. (Please see policy attached)

I can, however, offer you a special trade in on a new suit.

Here is our current trade-in pricing:

a. 2015 Volt Sleeveless http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/products/volt-sleeveless?variant=3164...
· $80
b. 2015 Vector Pro Fullsuit http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/products/vector-pro-fullsuit?variant=...
· $225
c. 2015 Vendetta Sleeveless http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/products/vendetta-sleeveless?variant=...
· $250
d. 2015 Vendetta Fullsuit http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/products/vendetta-fullsuit?variant=31...
· $400

If you would like to do the trade in, you may send back your current suit after you receive your new one.

Please let us know how we can assist further.
Best regards,
Keenan
------
Keenan,
I guess I would like to do the trade for the 2015 Volt Sleeveless, but I'm confused about what I did wrong with my Vortex.

Given that the suit has to sit at T1 for the length of the rest of the race, what is a person who wants to use the suit for triathlons to do to avoid that kind of damage?
Thanks,
Chris

-----
Hi Chris,

The melting of your wetsuit is due to exposure to heat or direct sunlight.

The best option is to avoid damage like this by drying your suit in a cool place out of the sun and to never leave your wetsuit in the car longer than necessary.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,
Keenan
2016-04-21 1:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Damn... seems to me that your conditions should be normal use.
I know I wouldn't think twice about doing what you did - and, I'd expect my wetsuit to survive it.

... Xterra will not be at the top of my list when my next wetsuit purchase comes along.

Edited by RockTractor 2016-04-21 1:51 PM
2016-04-21 1:42 PM

User image

Sorry, that's just BS

That said, while not single use, Xterra suits generally fall apart pretty fast IMO.  I've never had one that didn't start coming apart at the underarm sleeves.  Granted, they would generally replace those under warranty but it was still a PITA.  They were all I used from 2005 through 2013 but I have since moved on (to Roka)  

2016-04-21 1:42 PM

User image

I keep digging with them.  That's a poor response in my book and pretty poor customer service.  The response reads to me like they are saying you mishandled your wetsuit.  Maybe try calling and explaining it happened during a race.  Sucks what happened to you wetsuit.  Personally I wouldn't buy an Xterra suit.  I've never owned one but I've read way too many times they rip and fall apart easy.

2016-04-22 6:13 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
is that a Vendetta suit ? very soft high end neoprene, definitely prone to melting (but you said it wasn't hot)

It looks like there may have been something that got on the suit, note the picture comments

maybe gatorade ? something that may have dried and made the suit stick together.

(wetsuit.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
wetsuit.jpg (78KB - 12 downloads)
2016-04-22 7:28 PM

User image

That's terrible. It looks like it just got stuck together - how weird.
2016-04-27 5:31 PM

Well...I talked to the good folks at Xterra and they are sticking to their "use related" ruling.

I don't dispute that the suit probably wouldn't have melted if I'd left it in my closet at home, but I really think the way I used it on race day was well within what should be considered ordinary use.

They *did* offer to let me trade in the ruined Vortex + $80 for a new Volt, but I wonder if it's worth it considering that the Volt might also self destruct after my next race.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with Xterra on this one.
2016-04-27 5:33 PM

User image

I don't blame you.  I am really at a loss on this one, Xterra usually has a pretty good warranty program.  And I still can't see how it could get hot enough for a suit to melt like that 

I would have moved away from Xterra long ago if they didn't keep replacing my suits under warranty.  

2016-04-27 5:53 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Originally posted by metafizxis that a Vendetta suit ? very soft high end neoprene, definitely prone to melting (but you said it wasn't hot)It looks like there may have been something that got on the suit, note the picture comments maybe gatorade ? something that may have dried and made the suit stick together.
Taking it to CSI level with notes on pic. I hope you never get ahold of my crime photos.
2016-04-27 8:20 PM
in reply to: 0

That's ridiculous. That product is not fit for purpose. I've done multiple 70.3s in temperatures exceeding 105F and the wetsuit has sat in transition all day in the blazing sun without any problems. If Xterra's wetsuits cannot do this, they are designed correctly or they have used the wrong materials. In Australia we are protected by consumer law, not sure about the USA, but over here we would definitely have some form of recourse.

Also I had an issue with an Xterra sleeveless and posted on Slowtwitch. The director of Xterra emailed me directly and very quickly resolved the issue, I'm guessing because they don't want negative publicity. Before you do any of that, make 100% sure you know what caused the damage. I'm struggling to comprehend how sun exposure can do that?! It looks more like there was a sticky substance on the wetsuit (sports drink, gels??) that glued it together when it was folded over. Unfolding it ripped the wetsuit.

Edited by zedzded 2016-04-27 8:25 PM
2016-04-27 9:47 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by metafizxis that a Vendetta suit ? very soft high end neoprene, definitely prone to melting (but you said it wasn't hot)It looks like there may have been something that got on the suit, note the picture comments maybe gatorade ? something that may have dried and made the suit stick together.
Taking it to CSI level with notes on pic. I hope you never get ahold of my crime photos.

I'm just an age grouper, don't worry. ;-)
2016-04-28 7:46 AM
in reply to: zedzded

I think what you're seeing are artifacts from bad photogrpahy more than anything else. There was literally nothing in the bag but my flip flops, towel, goggles, and the suit. The patches on the left and right halves of the chest are where the neoprene melted together and then ripped apart when I pulled it out of the bag. There are similar but smaller patches all over the suit (from wherever the neoprene was touching, I think).

I talked to the rep at Xterra for a while yesterday and while she wasn't unsympathetic, the company is holding firm on this being my fault.

When I explained what I did on the day it melted and asked what I could have done differently the first answer I got was:

"The melting of your wetsuit is due to exposure to heat or direct sunlight.
The best option is to avoid damage like this by drying your suit in a cool place out of the sun and to never leave your wetsuit in the car longer than necessary."

I don't think I can get a new suit somewhere else for less than the $80 trade-in deal they're offering me on the Volt, but then if that Volt is just going to melt the first time I race in it, what sort of deal is that after all?
2016-04-28 8:57 AM

User image

Ask the question on their facebook page or twitter and see if you get a different response. Post the picture.

2016-04-28 10:44 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Originally posted by fortissimoAsk the question on their facebook page or twitter and see if you get a different response. Post the picture.
And what the heck, throw it out there on slowtwitch. Not like you haven't given them plenty of opportunity to make it right.
2016-04-28 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

So you've got me paranoid now.  I'll be doing the same thing in a week.  I'm assuming the wetsuit was inside out once you removed it?  Then give it two or three loose folds to fit it in the bag, what else could you do?

2016-04-28 1:48 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
save the $80 and put it towards something else. If their wetsuits cant survive what you have described there is no point in getting another one.
2016-04-28 2:12 PM

You say when you got home you pulled it out of the bag, which was 3 hours later? I am guessing this 3 hours is from the time you left the race until you arrived home. Where was the suit for the 3 hours between the time you left the race sight & when you got home?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What did I do wrong with my Xterra Vortex? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Trainer: What am I doing wrong?

Started by Rennick
Views: 985 Posts: 5

2005-12-14 12:46 PM CindyK

Cycling training: am i doing it all wrong? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2924 Posts: 27

2005-08-09 10:12 AM Renee

I'm doing this all wrong aren't I?

Started by edwino
Views: 1234 Posts: 16

2005-07-28 11:22 PM us50090

What am I doing wrong - swimming

Started by See Mom Run
Views: 1884 Posts: 20

2005-03-24 10:52 PM mikericci

HR on Run...Am I doing something wrong?

Started by swgtri
Views: 1510 Posts: 9

2005-02-24 10:51 AM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.