BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-08-02 7:39 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Originally posted by jmkizer

For those of you who do masters swim, what is the normal schedule?  What I mean is, are the sessions scheduled for an hour?  75 minutes?  90 minutes?

They are scheduled for 90 minutes. Yardage varies between 3500-4500. People come and go as their schedules allow though.

For instance, the morning swims start at 5:30, but I usally start just after the gym opens at 5 because I have to get out before 6. I'll do my own thing, then start the workout with the rest of them if there's someone in my lane (meaning I'll do the warmup over again). But if no one from my lane shows up I'll just skip to the main set the coach has for us that day and do as much of it as I can.

2016-08-02 7:42 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black

For those of you who do masters swim, what is the normal schedule?  What I mean is, are the sessions scheduled for an hour?  75 minutes?  90 minutes?

They are scheduled for 90 minutes. Yardage varies between 3500-4500. People come and go as their schedules allow though. For instance, the morning swims start at 5:30, but I usally start just after the gym opens at 5 because I have to get out before 6. I'll do my own thing, then start the workout with the rest of them if there's someone in my lane (meaning I'll do the warmup over again). But if no one from my lane shows up I'll just skip to the main set the coach has for us that day and do as much of it as I can.

OK, good to know.  I like the structure of masters -- the time seems to go by faster in a group -- and I certainly recognize that I need someone good on deck to help me out.  I realize that these changes are not bad, I need more help than I have been getting.  I've just had a lot of change and I don't always handle change all that well.

2016-08-02 8:12 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black

They are scheduled for 90 minutes. Yardage varies between 3500-4500. People come and go as their schedules allow though. For instance, the morning swims start at 5:30, but I usally start just after the gym opens at 5 because I have to get out before 6. I'll do my own thing, then start the workout with the rest of them if there's someone in my lane (meaning I'll do the warmup over again). But if no one from my lane shows up I'll just skip to the main set the coach has for us that day and do as much of it as I can.

OK, good to know.  I like the structure of masters -- the time seems to go by faster in a group -- and I certainly recognize that I need someone good on deck to help me out.  I realize that these changes are not bad, I need more help than I have been getting.  I've just had a lot of change and I don't always handle change all that well.

I hear you. With the bike focus I'm doing right now I have to ride my trainer at home to train with power. That means I'm on my bike most mornings. I used to swim every MWF morning. I thought I could make going to the pool at lunch work, but I have failed in that endeavor. So I'm having to figure a few things out to make sure I can get to the pool at least twice a week before work.
2016-08-02 8:27 AM

Master
Northern IL

It varies by club though each club tends to have a more regular weekly schedule. Typical seems to be 60-90 minutes. Likely depends on pool time available. I have 3 weeknights of 60 minutes plus Sunday evening at 90 minutes. More would be nice, but there are also kids club swim teams that will take multiple swim sessions every day. Another option I had may have had some 60-75 minutes in the am? Haven't looked there in awhile.

2016-08-02 8:36 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner RE Master's swimming: With the group I train with sometimes in Oregon, it depends on the practice time/day. There are longer practices early AM (6:00-7:30) on weekday mornings, and on Saturdays from 7-8:30. There are also shorter noon sessions (60 minutes) on most weekdays. People attend different ones depending on their work schedules and training goals.

Thanks!  My masters group has mostly 75 minute morning sessions but that group is going away at the end of the month. A new group is taking over but not on the days that I want to swim.  Anyway, I may rearrange the schedule and go with the new group at my current pool or try one of two other masters groups that might be a good fit.  Both of those groups -- RSA and YOTA -- have one hour sessions though.  

Honestly think that an hour in a good masters session is plenty for many here. I've been exhausted plenty of times and got a lot of good work out of it. It's good to be mindful of the time & yardage, but these sessions are plenty big that the quality of them will matter more. Can be a lot more.

2016-08-02 8:48 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

most around here are 60 minutes that I can find.

2016-08-02 9:32 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

most around here are 60 minutes that I can find.

The one I was doing back in the day was supposed to be an hour. However, because our start time was when the pool opened we were usually in the water 5-10 minutes after the actual start time.  So we actually got 50 minutes or so of actual pool time.

2016-08-02 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

It looks like Darren is just outside of Poisson.  I think that he spent longer than he originally anticipated in Vichy but he's on the move now!

I'm glad he's able to continue on. I was concerned when he was complaining of being saddle sore.

2016-08-02 10:48 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Hello, my name is Eric, and I live in Chicago with my significant other Mandy who I have been with for almost 14 years. We are expecting our first child at the end of September. I am a life long athlete, and played tennis in college. In 2008 I decided to sign up for my first triathlon, (Chicago Sprint in August) and started training. In May of that year I was hit by a car riding my bike to work by an out of town driver who wasn't sure where he was going. I had broken both of my elbows, my left wrist and the worst one was a bad left tibial plateau fracture. Basically my surgeon said it looked like a bomb had gone off in my leg, and he hoped I would be able to walk a half mile in time. Fast forward to August of 2009 it was either lose my entry (from medical deferment) or give it a try. I finished in 2:42:13, and loved it. I have been off and on with triathlon since, but have completed 18 with most of those in the last 3 years.

Thanks for the warm welcome into the group.

2016-08-02 10:56 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rrrunner

It looks like Darren is just outside of Poisson.  I think that he spent longer than he originally anticipated in Vichy but he's on the move now!

I'm glad he's able to continue on. I was concerned when he was complaining of being saddle sore.

it sounded pretty nasty I hope he found relief.

Saddle issues make me shudder.
**whoa**
2016-08-02 11:49 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

it sounded pretty nasty I hope he found relief. Saddle issues make me shudder. **whoa**

I chuckled when he offered to send Hannah pix of the... area

2016-08-02 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

He's made to to Sennecey-le-Grand now.  His schedule had him at Pontarlier by 2330 2nd Aug CET.  It's 13:35:29 CET now. That's 89 miles from where he is now

2016-08-02 11:57 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

He's made to to Sennecey-le-Grand now.  His schedule had him at Pontarlier by 2330 2nd Aug CET.  It's 13:35:29 CET now. That's 89 miles from where he is now

I follow him on fb as well. He's doing an amazing job!
2016-08-02 12:03 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
As some of you know, I will be in Washington from Saturday 8/6 to Wednesday 8/10 (with arrival and departure in Baltimore). Let me know if anyone is close and have time to meet for a quick coffee, beer, lunch, or just to say hi
I believe I'm meeting with Laura on Sunday morning, and Melanie and Janyne are racing that weekend (no worries, I will come for this conference next year!).

If you've ever been to Washington and have some places and things to recommend, please tell me. Or the places/things that are completely not worth anyone's time. I am also looking for bike/run trail and bike rental place. And plan to swim at YMCA (since I have their membership). I hope to have fun )))) (between some not always exciting conferences and lectures...)
2016-08-02 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Mine is a tri club swim and both groups i've done have aimed for 75 minute sessions but depending on pools that can be booked might vary.

Right now we do 2x55 min swims because we can't get longer (or really earlier) at the city pool we swim at. 

My old group also had 90 minute saturday swims. 

2016-08-02 12:19 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

From the responses, it sounds like 60 minutes isn't ridiculously short for masters.  It may be that I can get to the pool a few minutes early to add some time as well.  Thanks for your help!

2016-08-02 12:20 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey manatees! We had a holiday yesterday so today is my monday. Also an even shorter week because I am going away for a long weekend with my mom and sisters to Mont Tremblant! It will be nice to go and not race but it is such an awesome place and my IM was such a great day ... i'll definitely run some of the run course.

Nutrition Question for you: 

Anyway, a question for you all - i am feeling quite fatigued. In the past i've had issues with my B12 levels which after last test late last year were okay. I was reading an article off a FB feed and it might have been one of the running sites but it suggested that an overall lack of protein may contribute to a feeling of fatigue. I have been tracking my calories on Myfitnesspal (and don't worry i get more than enough calories) but I do see that often i am a little short on protein. I've never worried about macros and mostly try to eat 'well' by cooking and using lots of fruits and veggies. Anyway, this is getting long but is there a benefit to upping my protein? What strategies would be best? Or should i just go for a blood panel from my dr?

Virtual race: 

I am in for whatever as well. If it makes sense to use the group site that's good with me. Terry Fox runs are incredibly popular here and would be easy for me to do in the Fall as that is when most of those are. I was just thinking that we'd designate a day - we'd all commit to what we wanted to do - (sport, distance, etc) and we would do in the name of Steve with a donation for it ... 

I agree. A cancer charity is best. 

2016-08-02 12:44 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Our masters group swims M, W, F from 6 'til usually around 7:15, but some folks leave a little earlier or later (no later than 7:30) because of work schedules.

2016-08-02 12:57 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83 As some of you know, I will be in Washington from Saturday 8/6 to Wednesday 8/10 (with arrival and departure in Baltimore). Let me know if anyone is close and have time to meet for a quick coffee, beer, lunch, or just to say hi I believe I'm meeting with Laura on Sunday morning, and Melanie and Janyne are racing that weekend (no worries, I will come for this conference next year!). If you've ever been to Washington and have some places and things to recommend, please tell me. Or the places/things that are completely not worth anyone's time. I am also looking for bike/run trail and bike rental place. And plan to swim at YMCA (since I have their membership). I hope to have fun )))) (between some not always exciting conferences and lectures...)

I love DC!  So many neat things to see and do, so many wonderful restaurants and eateries.  

Things to see: naturally, the monuments and memorials.  They are very emotionally moving and beautifully done and make me very proud to live in this country.  

If you have time to utilize it, I think you can buy a ticket with one of the tourist bus lines and they'll take you on a tour around town explaining historical areas, monuments, places of interest, etc. and I think some let you get  off at various points to look around, then reboard a different bus with the same line when it comes by later.

The Smithsonian Institutes are great also but require more time and you won't see them all.  Maybe pick one or two to try to see.

There's the National Zoo, too, but I haven't been there for quite a few years and can't fairly critique it.

Food:  too many places to mention that are good, but if you have the inclination, check out the Ethiopian restaurant called Etete. I've eaten at that one and had very good food, although I'm sure there are other good ones. DC has one of the largest, if not THE largest Ethiopian population outside of Ethiopia, or so I was told when I was there.

Good pizza and Italian food: Pi Pizzeria.  Wow, so good and it's in a cool old haberdasherie.

Hank's Oyster Bar has yummy oysters and other eats.

I need to stop, I'm drooling!

2016-08-02 12:59 PM

Master
Northern IL

From the responses, it sounds like 60 minutes isn't ridiculously short for masters.  It may be that I can get to the pool a few minutes early to add some time as well.  Thanks for your help!

Janyne, curious what your swim sets look like? You have the distances logged, but there isn't any time or intensity to it other than the overall. Trying to help you relax some on the time/distance part of it.

2016-08-02 1:03 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh yeah.  I'm Melanie from PA.  I have been doing triathlons since 2010 and also play ice hockey (goalie!).  In general, doing most anything outside in nature makes me happy. I love plants/gardening, photography, bird-watching (on a casual level, not the super-intense level of some), kayaking, hiking, generally being active.  I also enjoy food, beer and wine which put me at constant odds with my body shape and weight.   I have two dogs that I love with all my heart and a husband that's OK, too, LOL.

2016-08-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by emcmino Hello, my name is Eric, and I live in Chicago with my significant other Mandy who I have been with for almost 14 years. We are expecting our first child at the end of September. I am a life long athlete, and played tennis in college. In 2008 I decided to sign up for my first triathlon, (Chicago Sprint in August) and started training. In May of that year I was hit by a car riding my bike to work by an out of town driver who wasn't sure where he was going. I had broken both of my elbows, my left wrist and the worst one was a bad left tibial plateau fracture. Basically my surgeon said it looked like a bomb had gone off in my leg, and he hoped I would be able to walk a half mile in time. Fast forward to August of 2009 it was either lose my entry (from medical deferment) or give it a try. I finished in 2:42:13, and loved it. I have been off and on with triathlon since, but have completed 18 with most of those in the last 3 years. Thanks for the warm welcome into the group.

What an incredible comeback, wow!

2016-08-02 1:13 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by marysia83 As some of you know, I will be in Washington from Saturday 8/6 to Wednesday 8/10 (with arrival and departure in Baltimore). Let me know if anyone is close and have time to meet for a quick coffee, beer, lunch, or just to say hi I believe I'm meeting with Laura on Sunday morning, and Melanie and Janyne are racing that weekend (no worries, I will come for this conference next year!). If you've ever been to Washington and have some places and things to recommend, please tell me. Or the places/things that are completely not worth anyone's time. I am also looking for bike/run trail and bike rental place. And plan to swim at YMCA (since I have their membership). I hope to have fun )))) (between some not always exciting conferences and lectures...)

I love DC!  So many neat things to see and do, so many wonderful restaurants and eateries.  

Things to see: naturally, the monuments and memorials.  They are very emotionally moving and beautifully done and make me very proud to live in this country.  

If you have time to utilize it, I think you can buy a ticket with one of the tourist bus lines and they'll take you on a tour around town explaining historical areas, monuments, places of interest, etc. and I think some let you get  off at various points to look around, then reboard a different bus with the same line when it comes by later.

The Smithsonian Institutes are great also but require more time and you won't see them all.  Maybe pick one or two to try to see.

There's the National Zoo, too, but I haven't been there for quite a few years and can't fairly critique it.

Food:  too many places to mention that are good, but if you have the inclination, check out the Ethiopian restaurant called Etete. I've eaten at that one and had very good food, although I'm sure there are other good ones. DC has one of the largest, if not THE largest Ethiopian population outside of Ethiopia, or so I was told when I was there.

Good pizza and Italian food: Pi Pizzeria.  Wow, so good and it's in a cool old haberdasherie.

Hank's Oyster Bar has yummy oysters and other eats.

I need to stop, I'm drooling!

Thank you!!!!
We will have a bus tour included with our registration, so at least the monuments and some most important spots will be covered. I have also looked at few very interesting places in Baltimore and maybe check them out, since I will be there Saturday morning anyway. It looks like there is a lot of things I could do with my kids, so I will leave those for next year (the conference provides childcare and am planning to take mine sweethearts next year. Especially since my son is a huge fan of Abraham Lincoln).

I will definitely check out the dinning places. Thank you!!!!
How far do you leave from there?
2016-08-02 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Mary, I don't know if you are an early morning or evening exercise person, but if you have a chance to run through the National Mall, I would do so. We stayed by the Capital building when we were there last year, so I started there, ran to the Washington Monument, then turned and ran back. It was great in the early morning, I imagine an evening run with the place lit up would be awesome.

2016-08-02 1:59 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Janyne, curious what your swim sets look like? You have the distances logged, but there isn't any time or intensity to it other than the overall. Trying to help you relax some on the time/distance part of it.

I'm a BOP swimmer.  Well, on a good day I might make it to the back of the middle.  I feel like I need a longer time to get any kind of distance in.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.