BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-08-02 3:51 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

In important tech news I will no longer have to use the blue jean runner guy emoji!

2016-08-02 3:56 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by brigby1

From the responses, it sounds like 60 minutes isn't ridiculously short for masters.  It may be that I can get to the pool a few minutes early to add some time as well.  Thanks for your help!

Janyne, curious what your swim sets look like? You have the distances logged, but there isn't any time or intensity to it other than the overall. Trying to help you relax some on the time/distance part of it.

I'm a BOP swimmer.  Well, on a good day I might make it to the back of the middle.  I feel like I need a longer time to get any kind of distance in.

I was thinking a description like this:

Masters
750 ch (400 swim / 200 pull / 50 k / 50 bk / 50 fly dr)
3 x 200 pull (2:50)
8 x 100 (1:30) odd: 50 tr / 50 bu, even: 25 tr / 50 bu / 25!
R1:00
12 x 50 (1:00) odd: k/!, even: !/ez
50 ez (1:00)
200 k brkn x25 R10
250 c/d

Somehow got into the faster group tonight, but held on well. Saw 2:30 on the 200's and 1:15-16 on the 100's. Even better considering the skill aspect of them is a bit slower than just swimming.

Leave intervals included, a little description of how things went, as best I understood how to describe. DIdn't know on the later parts, other than yes, did it. 

2016-08-02 4:07 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Another:

Masters
400 swim / 200 pull / 100 k
2 x following:
-200 d/s (3:00)
-4 x 100 desc (1:40)
-4 x 50 desc (:55)
-4 x 15!/10 ez (:30)
200 c/d

Shorter, easier swim. Likely due to much of the team going to a meet this weekend. Fit well with what I needed though. Change of pace without continuous strong effort. Gave me a chance to open up the stroke more. 100's were 1:18, 1:16, 1:12, 1:12 and then 1:17, 1:15, 1:11, 1:11. 50's went from :38 to 35. Kind of got stuck at that pace, but was good to be able to reach it.

2016-08-02 4:25 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by marysia83 As some of you know, I will be in Washington from Saturday 8/6 to Wednesday 8/10 (with arrival and departure in Baltimore). Let me know if anyone is close and have time to meet for a quick coffee, beer, lunch, or just to say hi I believe I'm meeting with Laura on Sunday morning, and Melanie and Janyne are racing that weekend (no worries, I will come for this conference next year!). If you've ever been to Washington and have some places and things to recommend, please tell me. Or the places/things that are completely not worth anyone's time. I am also looking for bike/run trail and bike rental place. And plan to swim at YMCA (since I have their membership). I hope to have fun )))) (between some not always exciting conferences and lectures...)

I love DC!  So many neat things to see and do, so many wonderful restaurants and eateries.  

Things to see: naturally, the monuments and memorials.  They are very emotionally moving and beautifully done and make me very proud to live in this country.  

If you have time to utilize it, I think you can buy a ticket with one of the tourist bus lines and they'll take you on a tour around town explaining historical areas, monuments, places of interest, etc. and I think some let you get  off at various points to look around, then reboard a different bus with the same line when it comes by later.

The Smithsonian Institutes are great also but require more time and you won't see them all.  Maybe pick one or two to try to see.

There's the National Zoo, too, but I haven't been there for quite a few years and can't fairly critique it.

Food:  too many places to mention that are good, but if you have the inclination, check out the Ethiopian restaurant called Etete. I've eaten at that one and had very good food, although I'm sure there are other good ones. DC has one of the largest, if not THE largest Ethiopian population outside of Ethiopia, or so I was told when I was there.

Good pizza and Italian food: Pi Pizzeria.  Wow, so good and it's in a cool old haberdasherie.

Hank's Oyster Bar has yummy oysters and other eats.

I need to stop, I'm drooling!

Thank you!!!! We will have a bus tour included with our registration, so at least the monuments and some most important spots will be covered. I have also looked at few very interesting places in Baltimore and maybe check them out, since I will be there Saturday morning anyway. It looks like there is a lot of things I could do with my kids, so I will leave those for next year (the conference provides childcare and am planning to take mine sweethearts next year. Especially since my son is a huge fan of Abraham Lincoln). I will definitely check out the dinning places. Thank you!!!! How far do you leave from there?

Eh, about 2.5 hours from DC, about 1.5 from Baltimore.  I'd totally drive down to meet you if I didn't have my hockey tournament this weekend!

2016-08-02 4:32 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

In important tech news I will no longer have to use the blue jean runner guy emoji!

Ha ha, good!

2016-08-02 9:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I'm Jim. I live in rural NE Michigan in a resort town (Kid Rock and Chris Chelios came to town this weekend). I'm married (23 years this month) and we have 4 children 3 girls and a boy. The two oldest girls are in college and the younger two are in high school. 3 out of 4 have tried triathlon one does not understand why anyone would run without a ball. We also have 2 dogs, our daughter's 17 year old cat died last Wednesday, so we are down one. I am also responsible for my elderly parents, my mom is in the final stages of Alzheimer's and my Dad lives with us, but recently had an issue with congestive heart failure, and in doing cardiac rehab. I work as an attorney and I'm on our local school board.
I've done several sprints, a couple of Olympic, and 5 half IM races. I am prepping to do IM Louisville on October 9th, It will be my first iron distance race, but that's how I do 50 haha. Swimming is my biggest issue. We don't have an easily accessible pool, so I am mostly limited to Lake Huron and waiting for the temp to hit 50 F. I also run, it's been my go to stress release, since college, but I never ran a until I was 40. I did take 15 years off from all things exercise, until I had "the physical" and was 30 lbs overweight and everything that was supposed to be low was high and everything that was supposed to be high was low. That spurred 10 years of healthier living, exercise and my unpatented "don't eat like a pig diet." It's simple eat what you want, just don't eat like a pig. ie. 2 pieces of pizza instead of 1/2 + large.

P.S. I'm a lawyer, so sometimes I struggle with brief.haha

Edited by JBacarella 2016-08-02 9:11 PM

2016-08-02 10:03 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
wow im behind - At a cottage for the week so updates are sporadic. Plan is to run each day, didnt even bring a bike, swimming in the lake but certainly not "training swimming". Relaxing more than anything else.

mini Bio

Dave - signed up for the Muskoka 70.3 promptly after running my first 5km running race.(It was a year out and I did do other tris before that one) Have also done sprints and Olys but have only done Xterras for the past few years. Currently not training for a 160km gravel race 11 days away. Toying with doing a 50km trail run in the fall. I subscribe to "Total Aversion Swimming" although I am 100% happy in the water and can swim - just slowly. Whitewater kayaking, snowboarding and offroad motorcycling are the other sports I am equally "Okay" at.

virtual race - Iike the idea of picking a weekend and everyone do something plus make a donation. Maybe we could do a 5km run as it is accessible to everyone??
2016-08-02 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Are we interested in doing a virtual race or not?  I don't want to waste time pursuing it if the group is lacking motivation. 

I would participate
2016-08-03 4:48 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey manatees! We had a holiday yesterday so today is my monday. Also an even shorter week because I am going away for a long weekend with my mom and sisters to Mont Tremblant! It will be nice to go and not race but it is such an awesome place and my IM was such a great day ... i'll definitely run some of the run course.

Nutrition Question for you: 

Anyway, a question for you all - i am feeling quite fatigued. In the past i've had issues with my B12 levels which after last test late last year were okay. I was reading an article off a FB feed and it might have been one of the running sites but it suggested that an overall lack of protein may contribute to a feeling of fatigue. I have been tracking my calories on Myfitnesspal (and don't worry i get more than enough calories) but I do see that often i am a little short on protein. I've never worried about macros and mostly try to eat 'well' by cooking and using lots of fruits and veggies. Anyway, this is getting long but is there a benefit to upping my protein? What strategies would be best? Or should i just go for a blood panel from my dr?

Virtual race: 

I am in for whatever as well. If it makes sense to use the group site that's good with me. Terry Fox runs are incredibly popular here and would be easy for me to do in the Fall as that is when most of those are. I was just thinking that we'd designate a day - we'd all commit to what we wanted to do - (sport, distance, etc) and we would do in the name of Steve with a donation for it ... 

I agree. A cancer charity is best. 

If total calories are adequate (was going to suggest that but you said it's not an issue), I would also look at iron levels, particularly if you are vegetarian or eat little to no red meat. Another thing would be healthy fat intake--I notice my energy levels are steadier when I'm getting a bit more than most people. It slows the rate at which you absorb carbs, which makes the energy you take in last longer--particularly useful if you are prone to swings in energy/blood sugar levels.
2016-08-03 5:25 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
I'm really enjoying the little introductions that everyone is posting. Is it possible to collect these in one thread and post it as a sticky?
2016-08-03 6:08 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Darren is on the move.  He is approaching Cormondreche, Switzerland as he is going around Lac de Neuchatel.  The tracker is guestimating his arrival at check point 2 in 24 hours.

2016-08-03 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

From the responses, it sounds like 60 minutes isn't ridiculously short for masters.  It may be that I can get to the pool a few minutes early to add some time as well.  Thanks for your help!

Janyne, curious what your swim sets look like? You have the distances logged, but there isn't any time or intensity to it other than the overall. Trying to help you relax some on the time/distance part of it.

I'm a BOP swimmer.  Well, on a good day I might make it to the back of the middle.  I feel like I need a longer time to get any kind of distance in.

Masters
200 k brkn x25 R10
250 c/d

Somehow got into the faster group tonight, but held on well. Saw 2:30 on the 200's and 1:15-16 on the 100's. Even better considering the skill aspect of them is a bit slower than just swimming.

Leave intervals included, a little description of how things went, as best I understood how to describe. DIdn't know on the later parts, other than yes, did it. 

Well, the thing is, my lane does recovery time between sets (not on 1:00 or on 2:00 or whatever, more like)  I'll try to be better at adding that into my logs.  I'd be happy to share the Garmin files, such that they are.  I'm not sure that they will tell us anything that we don't already know, though.  I'm told that my technique is pretty good but that hasn't translated into anything in terms of speed improvements.  Maybe I need to get together a set of swim specific strength stuff to work on? 

2016-08-03 6:40 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Randee, could you take the lead on this?  Maybe Karen or Jen could help if we want to do the Terry Fox runs?  I guess the main things that we need right now is a charity and a target event.  I suppose we could do "for Steve" shirts and put them on Cafepress or something.  Take a post "race" photo with it and post it on social media.  Dunno.

2016-08-03 6:45 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Haha!  Love it!

2016-08-03 7:07 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake I'm really enjoying the little introductions that everyone is posting. Is it possible to collect these in one thread and post it as a sticky?

Good idea!  I added them to the first post in this thread.

2016-08-03 7:47 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Better late than never, I'm Judi.  My current situation is "retired" from multipart because of perpetual injuries and work sucking my will to live.  I have done mostly sprint and olympic distance races since 2008. Prior to all the injuries I loved running 10K and HM distance.  Did one full marathon which most of the long time Manatees remember as a complete disaster.  I'm married, have two daughters known as Thing One and Miss Thing....they are in their 20's but the names have stuck.  I have three fur baby cats, Mocha the old man is a tuxedo kitty.  Snickers is my calico and Mishka is a little dilute tortie we just adopted in June.  

2016-08-03 7:56 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi Everyone! 

Mini bio: I I am Jen, living in Toronto, Canada - married with a 3-year old daughter and a 12-year old chocolate lab.  Got into running through my local running shop in 2005. Loved it. Started with 10k and worked to the marathon. Had no idea what the legs of a tri were when i met my now husband in a marathon training group. I couldn't swim but saw him do Ironman Canada in 2007 and figured i could give it a go. Two problems: no bike and I couldn't swim. At all. The bike was easy to remedy but I took swim lessons and just kept going and going until i could do a try a tri. It was total panic. Anyway, keeping at it i've been able to get to the HIM distance (4 now complete) and an IM 2012. I am still thrilled nearly 4 years later. 

Life is super busy at the moment - we're planning a huge home reno so although i love tri i am not really racing this year.  I am still training - swimming with a tri club and trying to stay consistent and a relative level of fitness. 

2016-08-03 8:17 AM

Master
Northern IL

Masters
200 k brkn x25 R10
250 c/d

Well, the thing is, my lane does recovery time between sets (not on 1:00 or on 2:00 or whatever, more like)  I'll try to be better at adding that into my logs.  I'd be happy to share the Garmin files, such that they are.  I'm not sure that they will tell us anything that we don't already know, though.  I'm told that my technique is pretty good but that hasn't translated into anything in terms of speed improvements.  Maybe I need to get together a set of swim specific strength stuff to work on?

We did have a lane that operated like what you described. Think the first one that had leave intervals was about 1:50-1:55/100, and then anyone slower would be in the one lane with recovery times, doing the best they could figure with the swim time. So with that, keep track of what you know. I would have put the 200's down as 2:30 R20, for example (I did hit all of them right at 2:30). The 100's would have been 1:15-1:16 R15. The 100's descending maybe like 1:18 to 1:12 R15 (it's about). A key note there is that I actually did start a little slower than the average and ended up a bit faster with some in between (even though it wasn't perfect) as opposed to the even pacing of the other 100's set. I'm putting my trust in the coach for the set design (she does want us to get faster), and then working with her in how to execute it. Making sure I understand how to do so.

While doing this, keep in mind that tracking this information is more for your benefit than it is for the rest of us to follow along. A lot of people at masters didn't really track things by writing them down as such (or at all), but they knew what they should be doing in the set, so they were aware of the execution part. It's this awareness that you want to have. If I was getting stuck at say 1:14 or higher, I'd take a look at why. Maybe just tired that day, or maybe I started doing something funny with the increased effort. I would also know there is something going on if was swimming the 200's at say 2:38 instead of 2:30.

2016-08-03 8:40 AM

Master
Northern IL

Think this is more of an environmental/cultural/mentality thing that can help lead to more & better learning.

2016-08-03 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Think this is more of an environmental/cultural/mentality thing that can help lead to more & better learning.

I appreciate that.  I suspect that I need more help than writing things down.  I do track things with the watch and if it says hard/moderate/easy or descending or whatever, act accordingly.

2016-08-03 10:13 AM

User image

Following up from an earlier post, I went for a private swim lesson and it was great!! Surprisingly I was doing a lot less wrong than I thought (thanks YouTube!) but one thing I would have never caught on my own was that my left hand was entering the water way too close to my head which was severely limiting my left hand pull. My "coach/instructor" gave me a few drills to work on my reach and although I'm not sure I believe him, at the end of the lesson he said I was swimming 1:20s which I pre-lesson couldn't swim even on my best day. Now comes the hard part, not falling back into bad form and sticking with it

2016-08-03 10:14 AM

Master
Northern IL

I appreciate that.  I suspect that I need more help than writing things down.  I do track things with the watch and if it says hard/moderate/easy or descending or whatever, act accordingly.

Swimming isn't necessarily complicated, but there are dozens upon dozens of little touches that can add in to make a big difference.

2016-08-03 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I am so behind! I'm having a tough week, with my grandma in hospital, and myself not feeling well, either.

MINI BIO: I'm Laura! After dipping my toe into triathlon off and on starting in 2004, this is my first real entire season. I love to swim and am a cycling scaredy cat. Married to J, my Giraffe, so named because of his long legs. I have an insane sweet tooth, love Star Trek way too much, and have recently embraced lentils. Still saying no to kale.
2016-08-03 10:38 AM

User image

Hi, I'm Tom, I live near Manchester in England and it is my first year doing or trying to do triathlons! I am 39 married with two kids 3 and 6 and they are all amazing! I did my first sprint in May but car crash and illness has delayed the progress since then but back training again now. I love all the training so far but then the distances are still pretty small and can't wait now to do my next one!
2016-08-03 10:42 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Atlantia I am so behind! I'm having a tough week, with my grandma in hospital, and myself not feeling well, either. MINI BIO: I'm Laura! After dipping my toe into triathlon off and on starting in 2004, this is my first real entire season. I love to swim and am a cycling scaredy cat. Married to J, my Giraffe, so named because of his long legs. I have an insane sweet tooth, love Star Trek way too much, and have recently embraced lentils. Still saying no to kale.
\

I'm with you there!!!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.