BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-08-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Are we interested in doing a virtual race or not?  I don't want to waste time pursuing it if the group is lacking motivation. 

2016-08-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

Darren is 565k into his ride.  He's approaching the first checkpoint at Puy de Dôme, France.

What an incredible, impressive undertaking, I'm glad he's making good progress so far.

Agreed, Darren is a beast. Keep after it!!!

I'm not sure if he is checking too often, but he has been posting pics on FB: https://www.facebook.com/darren.richards.58

Go Darren go!! (I can't see pics as not on facebook so if anyone can post them that would be great!)
2016-08-01 1:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hi all,
I'm Mary and came from Poland 13 years ago (my Polish name is Marysia). I am a single mom to two awesome children (my son Mikolaj is 8 and my daughter Zosia is 6), we also have two cool cats (one is very introvert and the other one a total opposite, still - they love each other).
As if working full time, taking care of the kids, and training, was not enough, I also study psychology (XXS part time), but that's more as a hobby, and not necessarily career requirement.
This is my second year of triathlons: I've done several sprints and am now training for my first Oly. Running is my strongest, although, I hate running (sort of). I love biking. Swimming is my weakest, but mostly because of mental aspects. Because of that, I would like to challenge myself and one day swim 10 km.
I absolutely love hiking and camping, and am very glad that my kids enjoy it too

Edited by marysia83 2016-08-01 1:02 PM
2016-08-01 1:01 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado

Are we interested in doing a virtual race or not?  I don't want to waste time pursuing it if the group is lacking motivation. 

I love the idea (because I love cool ideas), but I realized I am not quite sure how virtual races look like...
2016-08-01 1:01 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by melbo55

Darren is 565k into his ride.  He's approaching the first checkpoint at Puy de Dôme, France.

What an incredible, impressive undertaking, I'm glad he's making good progress so far.

Agreed, Darren is a beast. Keep after it!!!

I'm not sure if he is checking too often, but he has been posting pics on FB: https://www.facebook.com/darren.richards.58

Go Darren go!! (I can't see pics as not on facebook so if anyone can post them that would be great!)

Try this URL.  I was able to view without logging in so I *think* that it'll work.

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/tcrno4s111

2016-08-01 1:03 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Katy, Texas
I'm Sean, this is my 2nd year in tri and second year as a manatee. I'm 35 and have a wonderful wife and two crazy boys - Carson (6) & Cooper (4). I love biking, hate swimming and am starting to love running. I did an IM this year, but am now focused on shorter distances (up to HIM) and getting faster.

2016-08-01 1:04 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
That worked! Thanks!

Edit: That is awesome!! Looks like the adventure of a lifetime!!!

Edited by Jet Black 2016-08-01 1:06 PM
2016-08-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

I love the idea (because I love cool ideas), but I realized I am not quite sure how virtual races look like...

OK, this is what I told the folks at Racery.

We are interested in a virtual race for triathletes.  We were thinking something like Appalachian Trail, which we saw is already mapped out, or Pacific Crest.  The only tricky thing is that because we are triathletes we'd like to have a formula with swim/bike/run equivalencies.  For example 1 bike mile might = 3 run miles and 1 swim mile might be = 3 run miles -- whatever seems fair.  We do not anticipate a large group of people.  We'd like to direct money towards a charity of our choosing. 

Follow up question for the group, what is the charity of our choosing?

2016-08-01 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

We are interested in a virtual race for triathletes.  We were thinking something like Appalachian Trail, which we saw is already mapped out, or Pacific Crest.  The only tricky thing is that because we are triathletes we'd like to have a formula with swim/bike/run equivalencies.  For example 1 bike mile might = 3 run miles and 1 swim mile might be = 3 run miles -- whatever seems fair.  We do not anticipate a large group of people.  We'd like to direct money towards a charity of our choosing. 

If we can't help his family directly then I'd like to help kick cancer's azz

2016-08-01 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I finally finished month end reports and made my way to the new thread...

Hi, I'm TJ, I have done triathlons up to and including HIM. Right now I am mostly run focused and am training for my second ultra marathon, a 50 miler. On my recovery days I am enjoying training for a metric century ride with Mary S. Swimming I could live without, can you tell?

I live near Albuquerque, NM with my husband and one of our adult sons and, as of next week, a nephew-in-law (is that a thing?)  I also have one more son who is proudly serving our country. In addition we have 3 dogs (GSHP, Australian Kelpie, Pit Bull mix) and two cats (both long haired calicos).

2016-08-01 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Agreed.

This is what Racery came back with for cost:

Normally there is a minimum $300 setup fee for a custom race and then $3 - $6 per racer at signup for tech and support -- depending on the duration of the race! We have a Pacific Crest trail route that's ~200 miles long that I could set you up with to cut down on the setup cost. It's not Google Street View optimized though.

I think that we can do a free version of the Appalachian Trail though.  If we do that, we'd just have a suggested donation in Steve's name to [insert charity here].

Thoughts?

P.S.  Free race is limited to 40 participants.

Edited by jmkizer 2016-08-01 1:46 PM

2016-08-01 1:52 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Agreed.

Normally there is a minimum $300 setup fee for a custom race and then $3 - $6 per racer at signup for tech and support -- depending on the duration of the race! We have a Pacific Crest trail route that's ~200 miles long that I could set you up with to cut down on the setup cost. It's not Google Street View optimized though.

I think that we can do a free version of the Appalachian Trail though.  If we do that, we'd just have a suggested donation in Steve's name to [insert charity here].

Thoughts?

why don't we do something less formal like pick a weekend and have everyone go "race" a 5K and we'll pick an "entrance fee" that we can just cut checks and send to a cancer charity?

either that or dedicate a race (or portion of a race) we have on our calendars already.
2016-08-01 3:16 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I like this line of thinking.

2016-08-01 5:21 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think the more that goes to charity directly and the less to organizational overhead, the better. I could dedicate Worlds-not sure how that would work financially, but that is probably my only upcoming race for the next few months.

Another option (that would probably have to be later in the year) could be via the Terry Fox runs. We have one here every year in November; is that the case elsewhere in the world? That allows one to make a dedicated donation to cancer research, and races also have various setups to honor a cancer victim (or a survivor). Our former head of school died of cancer several years ago, and our school made big donations and got school team shirts printed to honor him; some of us still do the race every year in the shirts. It's a huge race (20,000 people, most of whom walk on corporate groups). When I do it, I try to run at the front (most years I can run myself into the top 6-10--running talent's that thin around here!) wearing the shirt so it's more visible. Then we have big groups who run together as well MOP and BOP. Charles was an athlete himself (NCAA swimmer) and a big supporter of my early efforts in tri, so I think he would have liked that.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-08-01 5:25 PM
2016-08-01 11:06 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Agreed.

Thoughts?

why don't we do something less formal like pick a weekend and have everyone go "race" a 5K and we'll pick an "entrance fee" that we can just cut checks and send to a cancer charity?

either that or dedicate a race (or portion of a race) we have on our calendars already.
I really like the virtual race idea.

We have this thing here called ozvirtualracing.com I think that there are a couple of USA sites like this. Each month Oz Virtual Racing has "events" that are dedicated to specific charities. The entry fee is normally $25 and you can choose a distance from 1-200km, you can do it all at once or it can be cumulative over the month. Each entrant gets a medal and the proceeds go to the designated charity for that run. there is almost always at least one cancer related run held a month - the one for August is for brain cancer. The only thing is that I do not know how much of the entry fee goes to the charity - they say that they aim for between 70-80% of their profit to go to the charity, but it does specifically say profit not entry fee.

Maybe we can find something like this that is already set up in the USA so that there is less work involved in the admin side of it.

2016-08-01 11:10 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi I'm Stacey, a wouldbe couldbe triathlete from Western Australia. Meaning I would be if I could get off my lazy butt and train. I generally do a few races each year and come last or there abouts. I would do much better if I could master the training motivation (or even just slightly improve it). I'm married to Phil and we are crazy Mastiff breeding dog people. No puppies this year though

2016-08-02 12:29 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Yay less than 2 pages for me to figure out a new thread!  It's a holiday here today, so I give myself some slack.

Kirsten, lifelong athlete, runner since 2009, triathlon since 2011.  Two time IM finisher.  But I like all the distances for different reasons.  Right now I am trying to get re-motivated to train regularly.  Currently mostly running, although I did swim today for the first time in 3 weeks.  SO and I live near Vancouver Canada with 3 dogs and 2 cats. 

2016-08-02 12:34 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

RE the virtual race, I am up for anything.  I have done the Terry Fox run before so that would work, but would also do a Manatee specific  I am not much on the organizing though, so just need someone to tell me where to sign up/show up.

2016-08-02 5:22 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Expert
Illinois
HI, I'm Anne. Hailing from Central Illinois, I've been around BT since 2008 but only joined the Manatees this year. I enjoy cycling and am getting starting to get into gravel grinding. One IM under the belt but no tris this year. I stay busy with my job in the marketing department of a civil engineering firm, and with my 3 cats and Steve, my significant other.
2016-08-02 6:48 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It looks like Darren is just outside of Poisson.  I think that he spent longer than he originally anticipated in Vichy but he's on the move now!

2016-08-02 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

For those of you who do masters swim, what is the normal schedule?  What I mean is, are the sessions scheduled for an hour?  75 minutes?  90 minutes?

2016-08-02 7:25 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Morning.

I am Robin, an adult-onset athlete wannabe. I recently took early retirement from working with the NC EPA. I live with hubbie, the best dog in the universe and 3 cats. I have done several sprints and olympic distances and keep trying for a HIM but seem to find injuries easily. If I would ever actually get 100% (or even 70%) motivated for consistent training, things could be different.

2016-08-02 7:26 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am up for any of the virtual race ideas. The charity... Kicking cancer's to the curb would be grand!

2016-08-02 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
RE Master's swimming: With the group I train with sometimes in Oregon, it depends on the practice time/day. There are longer practices early AM (6:00-7:30) on weekday mornings, and on Saturdays from 7-8:30. There are also shorter noon sessions (60 minutes) on most weekdays. People attend different ones depending on their work schedules and training goals.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-08-02 7:32 AM
2016-08-02 7:39 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner RE Master's swimming: With the group I train with sometimes in Oregon, it depends on the practice time/day. There are longer practices early AM (6:00-7:30) on weekday mornings, and on Saturdays from 7-8:30. There are also shorter noon sessions (60 minutes) on most weekdays. People attend different ones depending on their work schedules and training goals.

Thanks!  My masters group has mostly 75 minute morning sessions but that group is going away at the end of the month. A new group is taking over but not on the days that I want to swim.  Anyway, I may rearrange the schedule and go with the new group at my current pool or try one of two other masters groups that might be a good fit.  Both of those groups -- RSA and YOTA -- have one hour sessions though.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.