BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-08-07 12:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
So I finally did a race report for my July Marathon today.

I'm not sure why I haven't done it sooner. But anyway its here http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... if anyone wants to read it not that there is anything much interesting in it.

(I cant seem to shorten the link - sorry)

Edited by StaceyK 2017-08-07 12:56 AM

2017-08-07 6:58 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

August 5-6

Robin - Boulder 70.3 on Saturday
Janyne - Lake Logan Half on Saturday
Ann-Marie - CNC Mountain ride on Saturday
Ann-Marie Lake Logan International on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Manatee Administrivia: Look for a new thread on Monday, August 7th.

Also, I'll try to post a longer list of Healing Up Manatees at the end of each month.

Race well, everyone!

Might there be a manatee meetup at Lake Logan? I see different days for the races, so my guess is  "no".

It was looking good for a while there but, well, notsomuch.  When we were all working on our racing plans for the year, at one point we had three Manatees listing the Lake Logan Half but things changed. Maybe next year!

2017-08-07 7:00 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Blanda

Racing Manatees!!!

August 5-6

Robin - Boulder 70.3 on Saturday
Janyne - Lake Logan Half on Saturday
Ann-Marie - CNC Mountain ride on Saturday
Ann-Marie Lake Logan International on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Manatee Administrivia: Look for a new thread on Monday, August 7th.

Also, I'll try to post a longer list of Healing Up Manatees at the end of each month.

Race well, everyone!

Might there be a manatee meetup at Lake Logan? I see different days for the races, so my guess is  "no".

Woo hoooo! Go, Manatees, gooooo!! I swam yesterday! I plan to bike this weekend. Still lifting all the things. 8/12 can't come soon enough. My body is so done. I'm reminded daily of all my 45 years of life right now. TGIF!!

Taper time, right ;-)

2017-08-07 7:21 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Race was delayed by 30 minutes because traffic was so bad no one could get to the Rez. I was there because we know parking and traffic can be bad race mornings, so we got there at 5 even though transition didn't open until 5:30. We still had to sit in traffic! My swim went well. It was very congested and I found myself swimming around people so I couldn't get kicked again. I got out of the water, got my bike, and was starving. I wanted to eat everything in my bento box. I usually wait at least 20 minutes into the bike before I eat, but I couldn't wait. When breakfast is at 3:45 and your pre-race snack is 60 minutes before what your start time should have been, ya get hungry when you have to wait 30 more minutes. I started cramping at about mile 10. Continued to eat, drink, and take BASE Salt. There was a head wind, I was hungry, but I was having a blast!! I willed away the cramping refocusing, telling others they were doing awesome, and thanking the volunteers and police officers working. Oh, and talking to a lot of cows and horses. I of course had to talk to Winston the pig who lives in a house on the course. He comes when you call him! Got off the bike, had to use the litter box, and got ready for the run. About 5 minutes into the run the cramping returned in my left leg, from calf to my glutes and quads. I refused to walk so I did my ignore mode. Walked the first aid station, ate a GU, took some BASE Salt, and Gatorade. I had my Sippy Cup (That's what my coach and I call my hand held water bottle) so I could drink throughout when needed. Started to run and my right leg cramped. Tried to ignore. It went away with more base salt. Few minutes later, the left cramped again. By the time I got to mile 3.8 both were cramping. Three of my training buddies who weren't racing were there and they gave me encouragement but all the sudden I was on the ground. I got up, fell again, and the next thing I know I was in a police car. So, I had my first Did Not Fail. I was so embarrassed at the time, but no longer. I didn't stop because I couldn't take it. My body made me stop. There will be more races. So if I ran only 3.8 miles, why do my legs feel worse now then they did after IM Boulder?

I am so sorry to hear that your day did not go as planned. {{hugs}}

2017-08-07 7:23 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Oh, ouch! I feel your pain with the cramping. That is exactly what I was afraid would happen to me in the final three miles of CDA 70.3. Even in the last 100 or 200m to the finish line, I wasn't entirely sure I wouldn't end up on the ground or in a police car. (I guess, being a downhill finish, I could have rolled the final bit if allowed to, if it came to that!) Hope you can get to the bottom of what caused the cramping--I still haven't. The usual suspects (heat, dehydration, electrolytes) don't seem to be true in my case as it has only happened in cool races, never with training or racing in the tropics. Guessing in your case it might be something fuel-related--low blood sugar, maybe? Or overcooking the bike leg, given the limited amount of fuel in the system? Was it hot/humid? No shame--some days, the body just says, "No!" for whatever reason. You kept going until it just refused. That even happens (quite often, actually) to the pros at Kona. On a normal day, we'd just call in sick, or bag the planned workout or hike or whatever, and rest up on the couch. I think we all have those days--it's just that for athletes, sometimes they unfortunately coincide with a race.

What Karen said.

2017-08-07 8:05 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Oh, ouch! I feel your pain with the cramping. That is exactly what I was afraid would happen to me in the final three miles of CDA 70.3. Even in the last 100 or 200m to the finish line, I wasn't entirely sure I wouldn't end up on the ground or in a police car. (I guess, being a downhill finish, I could have rolled the final bit if allowed to, if it came to that!) Hope you can get to the bottom of what caused the cramping--I still haven't. The usual suspects (heat, dehydration, electrolytes) don't seem to be true in my case as it has only happened in cool races, never with training or racing in the tropics. Guessing in your case it might be something fuel-related--low blood sugar, maybe? Or overcooking the bike leg, given the limited amount of fuel in the system? Was it hot/humid? No shame--some days, the body just says, "No!" for whatever reason. You kept going until it just refused. That even happens (quite often, actually) to the pros at Kona. On a normal day, we'd just call in sick, or bag the planned workout or hike or whatever, and rest up on the couch. I think we all have those days--it's just that for athletes, sometimes they unfortunately coincide with a race.

What Karen said.

I have the feeling a few more people should stop than the amount who do. When out in the middle of a race, it is MUCH harder to stop than appreciated with all the encouragements and social pressures to keep going.

2017-08-07 9:58 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jmkizer Manatee Administrivia: Look for a new thread on Monday, August 7th.
Yay does that mean that winter is nearly over for me???? I so hope so cause I am really struggling with it. My motivation for everything has gone. I really think that I need some sunshine, the last couple of weeks here has been really cold (for us) and wet and I am just so very over it. The maximum temp at our place the other day was 10*C (so 50) and the minimum was 2 (so 35). I know for many of you that isn't cold but for here it is. That on top of the sun not rising until after 7am for the last couple of months has just really gotten to me. I struggle with it every winter but it seems worse this year - maybe it isn't but it feels like it is now. I do ok during the day at work and have actually been the most productive that I have been in a while, but outside of work I just cant seem to get myself to do anything. I drag myself up in the mornings in time to feed the dogs and go to work and then when I get home I basically make tea and then sit in front of the TV. I also eat A LOT of bad food. It is starting to really depress me, which makes me eat worse, which means that I have put on even more weight which makes me feel even worse. I know that the remedy for most of it is to get up and run and I want to but I just cant seem to make myself do it. Someone has suggested to me to take vitamin D tablets so I think that I will look into that. Maybe the long term solution is to move to the tropics where they get better sunlight during the winter, but I'm not sure that I could cope with the humidity and the dogs definitely wont cope so that option is out. Sorry to whine because I know that many of you are facing far greater problems at the moment but i just need to get it out of my head and here is a safe place to do that.

Oh, Stacey...(((hugs)))  Seasonal depression really gets me, too.  Hoping the hours of daylight soon get longer and the temps warm up for you.

2017-08-07 10:00 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo Race was delayed by 30 minutes because traffic was so bad no one could get to the Rez. I was there because we know parking and traffic can be bad race mornings, so we got there at 5 even though transition didn't open until 5:30. We still had to sit in traffic! My swim went well. It was very congested and I found myself swimming around people so I couldn't get kicked again. I got out of the water, got my bike, and was starving. I wanted to eat everything in my bento box. I usually wait at least 20 minutes into the bike before I eat, but I couldn't wait. When breakfast is at 3:45 and your pre-race snack is 60 minutes before what your start time should have been, ya get hungry when you have to wait 30 more minutes. I started cramping at about mile 10. Continued to eat, drink, and take BASE Salt. There was a head wind, I was hungry, but I was having a blast!! I willed away the cramping refocusing, telling others they were doing awesome, and thanking the volunteers and police officers working. Oh, and talking to a lot of cows and horses. I of course had to talk to Winston the pig who lives in a house on the course. He comes when you call him! Got off the bike, had to use the litter box, and got ready for the run. About 5 minutes into the run the cramping returned in my left leg, from calf to my glutes and quads. I refused to walk so I did my ignore mode. Walked the first aid station, ate a GU, took some BASE Salt, and Gatorade. I had my Sippy Cup (That's what my coach and I call my hand held water bottle) so I could drink throughout when needed. Started to run and my right leg cramped. Tried to ignore. It went away with more base salt. Few minutes later, the left cramped again. By the time I got to mile 3.8 both were cramping. Three of my training buddies who weren't racing were there and they gave me encouragement but all the sudden I was on the ground. I got up, fell again, and the next thing I know I was in a police car. So, I had my first Did Not Fail. I was so embarrassed at the time, but no longer. I didn't stop because I couldn't take it. My body made me stop. There will be more races. So if I ran only 3.8 miles, why do my legs feel worse now then they did after IM Boulder?

Wow, what a tough day dealing first with traffic and a race delay followed by the hunger and cramping and police car ride.  Sorry things didn't go as you hoped but glad people were there to help you when things went sideways.  Take care, rest, hydrate, and come back to fight again another day!

2017-08-07 10:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Ah, this getting older business is for the birds!  My ice hockey team played in the Hockey Fights MS Tournament we play in each year and oof, my body was reminding me that hockey is not swimming, biking or running!  Feeling a bit rough today but actually a little better than I was last evening.  But it was all so very worth it, getting to play the sport I love with my friends I love, all for a good cause.  

One of my teammates won the main raffle prize, a tricked out Zamboni cooler! https://c3customcoolers.com/products/zamboni-zrc-blu001 It is remote controlled, has Bluetooth enabled speakers (also has USB and another jack), LED headlights.  Friggin' sweet is what it is!  We played Iggy Azalea's 'Black Widow' as we drove it out of the locker room and into the lobby!  For those not in the know, my team is the Black Widows.

Edited to add: no, we didn't win the tournament, we got 4th out of 6 teams in our division.  That's not important, we won the Zamboni cooler!  We also racked up some of the other raffle prizes, I think 5 people including myself won items.

Edited by melbo55 2017-08-07 10:20 AM
2017-08-08 12:46 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

General catch-up

It's taking longer that we anticiapated for the new thread to come to life. Sorry 'bout that.

Robin, what are you hearing about the future of IM Boulder? I've seen that the full is on the chopping block?

Kirsten, same question but for Whistler. They signed some contract extension, didn't they? Was a distance specified?

If the above is true, it makes me even angrier that IM purchased and destroyed Vineman and B2B. :-(

2017-08-08 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Proof of life post...

Things still crazy out here. Two weeks of work stuff put a hurt on my training. After a bad ride on Saturday I started to question my ability to finish IMChoo within the time limit. I considered either rolling to IMLou or dropping altogether. Talked with DH, talked with Coach. Going to stick with Choo.

DH has the unpleasant task of putting down one of my kitties today  She's been with us for 15 years but it's time. I think DS1's girlfriend's daughter will take it hardest tho.

2017-08-08 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

General catch-up

It's taking longer that we anticiapated for the new thread to come to life. Sorry 'bout that.

Robin, what are you hearing about the future of IM Boulder? I've seen that the full is on the chopping block?

Kirsten, same question but for Whistler. They signed some contract extension, didn't they? Was a distance specified?

If the above is true, it makes me even angrier that IM purchased and destroyed Vineman and B2B. :-(

I'm not sure how popular Lake Logan is. Could it be on the radar for the IM world domination as well? Or is it too small?

2017-08-08 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

General catch-up

I'm not sure how popular Lake Logan is. Could it be on the radar for the IM world domination as well? Or is it too small?

Too small. Although, they could buy it, move it, rename it a la Santa Rosa. I don't think they'd bother though.

Robin P can confirm but I understand that Lake Lure/Asheville had a very strong IM proposal but Choo got it.

2017-08-08 2:03 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Proof of life post...

Things still crazy out here. Two weeks of work stuff put a hurt on my training. After a bad ride on Saturday I started to question my ability to finish IMChoo within the time limit. I considered either rolling to IMLou or dropping altogether. Talked with DH, talked with Coach. Going to stick with Choo.

DH has the unpleasant task of putting down one of my kitties today  She's been with us for 15 years but it's time. I think DS1's girlfriend's daughter will take it hardest tho.

I am so sorry to hear about your kittie. {{hugs}}

Bad rides happen and questioning yourself during training happens. Hang in there!

2017-08-08 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Proof of life post...

So sorry about your kitty!  No matter the age, it is always a miserable thing to do

Also sorry you have had a tough time getting your training in; hope work eases up for you.  

2017-08-08 2:22 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

BAck from my smoky mountain traincation - it was great, coming home to this heat and humidity, not so much!

My plan had been to do some runs, swims and paddle boarding before riding one of the Cycle NOrth Carolina rides Saturday and then doing the Lake Logan Oly Sunday, then more running and other activities mainly involving breweries.  However, on the Saturday ride I had bike tire issues - flatted 2x and found my rear tire wall was in pretty bad shape - tube poking through in one spot!, and other areas ready to go; so I had to regroup.  I ride 650s and Bryson City bike stores did not carry any, so the race was off as I did not feel safe racing on it.  

So, instead of the triathlon; after climbing 4k feet over 46 miles during the ride, I ended up at an evening 8k race with a few other friends . It was interesting running after doing the most climbing I have ever done in my life!! Nice small race, so I managed to win my AG

Then Sunday I made my own triathlon with one of the friends who also bailed on the tri in solidarity with me! Since I was worried about the tire, another friend was SAG support and followed us as we rode our bike - 2200 feet of climbing over 17 mies, then ran 5ish miles of trails and then swam about 1k. So, not really an oly, but still pretty good!! Then there was quality brewery time!!

This Florida girl wasn't sure how I'd do riding in the mountains, but I think I did well and have more confidence that I will be able to tackle Louisville!

2017-08-08 2:23 PM

User image

Master

General catch-up

3 year extension for both distances I think.  I am wondering if they will change the bike course though because Pemberton (town north of Whistler) is not happy.  Bike course goes through there (30 mile out and back), they don't get any benefit, and they are basically held hostage for the day as the highway is closed.  time will tell. 

2017-08-08 2:24 PM

User image

Master

Proof of life post...

Sorry about your kitty

2017-08-08 2:40 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

BAck from my smoky mountain traincation - it was great, coming home to this heat and humidity, not so much!

My plan had been to do some runs, swims and paddle boarding before riding one of the Cycle NOrth Carolina rides Saturday and then doing the Lake Logan Oly Sunday, then more running and other activities mainly involving breweries.  However, on the Saturday ride I had bike tire issues - flatted 2x and found my rear tire wall was in pretty bad shape - tube poking through in one spot!, and other areas ready to go; so I had to regroup.  I ride 650s and Bryson City bike stores did not carry any, so the race was off as I did not feel safe racing on it.  

So, instead of the triathlon; after climbing 4k feet over 46 miles during the ride, I ended up at an evening 8k race with a few other friends . It was interesting running after doing the most climbing I have ever done in my life!! Nice small race, so I managed to win my AG

Then Sunday I made my own triathlon with one of the friends who also bailed on the tri in solidarity with me! Since I was worried about the tire, another friend was SAG support and followed us as we rode our bike - 2200 feet of climbing over 17 mies, then ran 5ish miles of trails and then swam about 1k. So, not really an oly, but still pretty good!! Then there was quality brewery time!!

This Florida girl wasn't sure how I'd do riding in the mountains, but I think I did well and have more confidence that I will be able to tackle Louisville!

I'm so glad to hear that both of your rides went well! (stoopid tires aside)

Let me also point out for the others that with the Cycle NC mountain ride in town, there was extra bike shop support in Bryson City (Motion Makers from Asheville and Cycling Spoken Here from Cary usually support the rides).

2017-08-08 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723

I'm so glad to hear that both of your rides went well! (stoopid tires aside)

Let me also point out for the others that with the Cycle NC mountain ride in town, there was extra bike shop support in Bryson City (Motion Makers from Asheville and Cycling Spoken Here from Cary usually support the rides).

Yes,I think motion makers were the SAG people and mechanics at home base. They were great, just didn't bring 650s!
2017-08-08 3:48 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Proof of life post...

You have to do well at IMCHOO - I'm counting on you to give me the lowdown (and Janyne of course) for 18!

Sorry about your kitty RIP.

2017-08-08 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Proof of life post...

Great to hear from you TJ. I'm sorry about your kittie.
2017-08-08 7:28 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

TJ - You'll be fine. Set aside the negative and KNOW that you will do awesome. I'm sorry to see of your kittie.

Hands - Even though it wasn't the weekend you had planned, it looks like you made the most of it. Beer, what more do you need?

Melanie - It sure looks like y'all had a good weekend of hockey. Congrats on the cool cooler.

Karen - I rode this weekend with the HydraQuiver and I was reminded how bad it is in aero. The whole pack sits up pretty high on your back and my helmet kept bumping into the bottle. The Double Barrel might be better, but I'm just not sure it checks off all the boxes in your needs list. That said, I don't think the thing can be beat for long runs, especially if you are heading away from civilization.

2017-08-09 3:50 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It does sound like it would be more suited to running than biking. At any rate, I don't think I'm planning any 3+ hour rides in the industrial park anytime soon. There are a few local athletes who do IM training on the roads, but no desire to do that. Pretty much when it gets past three hours, I'd rather split the ride between indoors and out if weather allows. That allows me to replenish water and get out of the heat for the last half of the ride, plus break up the monotony--neither the industrial park nor the trainer is exactly thrill a minute. In fact, NONE of my training here is in particularly awe-inspiring surroundings, particularly now with the water running.

I guess I have a high tolerance for tedium--maybe as a result of being in some kind of endurance sports since age 10. I just focus on the workout and/or get lost in my own head, plus have videos and music for amusement on the trainer. Most of my job involves dealing with different personalities all day and having to think on my feet a lot, so it's kind of a relief to NOT have to interact with others, pay much attention to my surroundings, or think really hard about anything but the current part of the workout --hard to explain, but training is sort of my version of meditation. Meditation for hyperactive people, maybe!
2017-08-09 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102