BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-08-02 12:56 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

August 4-5
Ann-Marie - Lake Logan Half on Saturday
Lisa - Lake Logan Half on Saturday
Janyne - Lake Logan Half on Saturday
Justin - IM Boulder 70.3 on Saturday
Stacey - Truth or Consequences Trail 25k on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

What a solid bunch of races! All of you racers have a great time. PS. I put a good word in for the weather on Saturday around here for you Lake Loganers.

2018-08-02 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

August 4-5

Is anyone else racing?

Awesome!!! Have fun y'all.

My first thought for Stacey's race was "hey, what's she doing in NM?" (we actually have a city named Truth or Consequences)

2018-08-02 6:16 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by rrrunner

Racing Manatees!!!

August 4-5

Is anyone else racing?

Awesome!!! Have fun y'all.

My first thought for Stacey's race was "hey, what's she doing in NM?" (we actually have a city named Truth or Consequences)

Manatees all set to dominate Lake Logan! Good luck to all racers.
2018-08-02 8:20 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Pic of my bike (Red Rover) after the race on Sunday. I took Rover to the bike doctor today and the verdict is no fractures (cracks in carbon or broken screws); just displaced aerobars. He said they usually see this after a strong impact such as hitting or being hit by a car, crashing into something while on a hitch, or perhaps hitting the mother of all potholes, and that it was probably not something that would happen when loading or unloading a bike in a car. Screws were not loose, but the bars seemed to have been forcibly jerked downward with full tension still on the screws.

We don't have a hitch and Rover was always in my sight on the way back, so he couldn't have been hit or tampered with, unless I guess if a 300 pound dude sat on him in transition. My guess is this happened sometime late in the race (there were definitely some patches of rough road) and the bars gradually got displaced. I do remember thinking in the final 5-6 miles that the bike felt a bit off; at the time I thought it might be a slow leak in the back tire. But my tires were normal after the race. Probably in a weird position and it just felt wrong somehow.

Just amazing that I may have ridden several miles in a race with the bike like this and not really noticed. Anyway, Rover has been repaired and supposedly is all well and better. Not sure I trust this bike for it not to happen again, though.

(IMG_20180729_190700604.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20180729_190700604.jpg (4674KB - 4 downloads)
2018-08-02 8:40 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

August 4-5

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Racers!
2018-08-02 8:42 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by JBacarella It is official, I signed up for Ironman Lake Placid, July 28, 2019!

YAY!!!!  I love, love, love this course and this area.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  A challenging course for sure but so dang beautiful.  With any luck, I'll be back to my usual schedule of being in LP in July for the 140.6.  If so, for sure we'll have to meet up.  

We are really looking forward to it. We have never been there, but by all accounts it's beautiful. You will have to give me some helpful hints.

I will gladly share hints, tips, suggestions with you whenever you like!

What is the deal with accommodations in Lake Placid? There is nothing on the IM site. Do I have to do it the old fashioned way and figure it out myself?

2018-08-02 8:47 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Pic of my bike (Red Rover) after the race on Sunday. I took Rover to the bike doctor today and the verdict is no fractures (cracks in carbon or broken screws); just displaced aerobars. He said they usually see this after a strong impact such as hitting or being hit by a car, crashing into something while on a hitch, or perhaps hitting the mother of all potholes, and that it was probably not something that would happen when loading or unloading a bike in a car. Screws were not loose, but the bars seemed to have been forcibly jerked downward with full tension still on the screws.

We don't have a hitch and Rover was always in my sight on the way back, so he couldn't have been hit or tampered with, unless I guess if a 300 pound dude sat on him in transition. My guess is this happened sometime late in the race (there were definitely some patches of rough road) and the bars gradually got displaced. I do remember thinking in the final 5-6 miles that the bike felt a bit off; at the time I thought it might be a slow leak in the back tire. But my tires were normal after the race. Probably in a weird position and it just felt wrong somehow.

Just amazing that I may have ridden several miles in a race with the bike like this and not really noticed. Anyway, Rover has been repaired and supposedly is all well and better. Not sure I trust this bike for it not to happen again, though.

I didn't read your post before looking at the picture and thought you had a hyper-aggressive aero position

2018-08-02 10:09 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

August 4-5

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, racers! Have a blast and smile for those cameras!

(should someone call ahead and warn the Lake Logan area that the Manatees will be in town?)
2018-08-03 4:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

August 4-5

Is anyone else racing?

GO RACERS!

My run is actually on Saturday (my mistake) and cause I'm a chicken I'm only doing the 10k. The thought of nearly 900 meters (nearly 3,000') of elevation gain was too much for me to cope with, especially when some of the hills are almost vertical

Edited by StaceyK 2018-08-03 4:30 AM
2018-08-03 7:44 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Pic of my bike (Red Rover) after the race on Sunday. I took Rover to the bike doctor today and the verdict is no fractures (cracks in carbon or broken screws); just displaced aerobars. He said they usually see this after a strong impact such as hitting or being hit by a car, crashing into something while on a hitch, or perhaps hitting the mother of all potholes, and that it was probably not something that would happen when loading or unloading a bike in a car. Screws were not loose, but the bars seemed to have been forcibly jerked downward with full tension still on the screws. We don't have a hitch and Rover was always in my sight on the way back, so he couldn't have been hit or tampered with, unless I guess if a 300 pound dude sat on him in transition. My guess is this happened sometime late in the race (there were definitely some patches of rough road) and the bars gradually got displaced. I do remember thinking in the final 5-6 miles that the bike felt a bit off; at the time I thought it might be a slow leak in the back tire. But my tires were normal after the race. Probably in a weird position and it just felt wrong somehow. Just amazing that I may have ridden several miles in a race with the bike like this and not really noticed. Anyway, Rover has been repaired and supposedly is all well and better. Not sure I trust this bike for it not to happen again, though.

I am amazed that you didn't notice that more!

2018-08-04 5:49 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Apparently the going rate for car lockouts on a Saturday at high noon is $130 if the only thing you carry on you are your keys and a credit card OR $50 if you have cold, hard cash.

Had a nice 2 hour transition between my bike and run 'brick.'

2018-08-04 6:30 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Good reason to have AAA membership! (Though I guess you'd have to run with your card and a phone.)
2018-08-05 10:25 AM
in reply to: #5232372

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I have a different roadside assistance (we have an RV and AAA for RVs isn't superior) and the card was in my wallet at home. I just have to go through the reimbursement process.

I was also on the Army base, so getting a locksmith onto base takes a bit of time.
2018-08-06 8:50 AM

User image

I guess this was the weekend of bike issues. After about 25 miles of averaging close to 25 mph (fast for me), I got a rear flat. It's been a couple years since I've changed one but given I was in the middle of nowhere and I had a replacement kit, I gave it a shot. After about 15 minutes I successfully (or so I thought) changed the tire and was back up and running again. I was determined not to let this ruin my race and my next 15 miles were back at 25 mph. As I'm flying down a hill I feel my rear tire swaying from side to side and something didn't feel right. I pull over to check it out and again my rear tire i's flat. Argh! I had 1 CO2 left and tried to fill it but no luck. I wound up walking about a mile until I found a cop who called a support guy who eventually came and helped me out. The whole ordeal cost me about an hour, and a blister from walking in my bike shoes! I was completely demoralized at this point but still decided to do the run so I could get my finishers medal. Very frustrating day all around but I'm not sure there was anything I could have done differently to prevent this. Sorry for the long post but hopefully all of you both carry a flat kit and know how to change a tire on the fly. I know I'll be practicing!

On a more positive note, Boulder is a beautiful city and it's a great race. I highly recommend putting it on your to do list! I know I'll be back
2018-08-06 9:25 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TXTriRook I guess this was the weekend of bike issues. After about 25 miles of averaging close to 25 mph (fast for me), I got a rear flat. It's been a couple years since I've changed one but given I was in the middle of nowhere and I had a replacement kit, I gave it a shot. After about 15 minutes I successfully (or so I thought) changed the tire and was back up and running again. I was determined not to let this ruin my race and my next 15 miles were back at 25 mph. As I'm flying down a hill I feel my rear tire swaying from side to side and something didn't feel right. I pull over to check it out and again my rear tire i's flat. Argh! I had 1 CO2 left and tried to fill it but no luck. I wound up walking about a mile until I found a cop who called a support guy who eventually came and helped me out. The whole ordeal cost me about an hour, and a blister from walking in my bike shoes! I was completely demoralized at this point but still decided to do the run so I could get my finishers medal. Very frustrating day all around but I'm not sure there was anything I could have done differently to prevent this. Sorry for the long post but hopefully all of you both carry a flat kit and know how to change a tire on the fly. I know I'll be practicing! On a more positive note, Boulder is a beautiful city and it's a great race. I highly recommend putting it on your to do list! I know I'll be back

WOW, no bueno on the flat! Sorry it took so long for support, that's one of my race nightmares!

2018-08-06 9:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by TXTriRook

I guess this was the weekend of bike issues. After about 25 miles of averaging close to 25 mph (fast for me), I got a rear flat. It's been a couple years since I've changed one but given I was in the middle of nowhere and I had a replacement kit, I gave it a shot. After about 15 minutes I successfully (or so I thought) changed the tire and was back up and running again. I was determined not to let this ruin my race and my next 15 miles were back at 25 mph. As I'm flying down a hill I feel my rear tire swaying from side to side and something didn't feel right. I pull over to check it out and again my rear tire i's flat. Argh! I had 1 CO2 left and tried to fill it but no luck. I wound up walking about a mile until I found a cop who called a support guy who eventually came and helped me out. The whole ordeal cost me about an hour, and a blister from walking in my bike shoes! I was completely demoralized at this point but still decided to do the run so I could get my finishers medal. Very frustrating day all around but I'm not sure there was anything I could have done differently to prevent this. Sorry for the long post but hopefully all of you both carry a flat kit and know how to change a tire on the fly. I know I'll be practicing!

On a more positive note, Boulder is a beautiful city and it's a great race. I highly recommend putting it on your to do list! I know I'll be back

Argh. That sucks! You had a really good pace going too.

Looking forward to some race reports soon. I saw some results over on Strava. that Lake Logan bike looks like no joke.

Edited by awm007 2018-08-06 9:50 AM

2018-08-06 9:53 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

How are the other Lake Logan peeps feeling today? 

My race report is up - here if anyone is interested

2018-08-06 10:10 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella It is official, I signed up for Ironman Lake Placid, July 28, 2019!

YAY!!!!  I love, love, love this course and this area.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  A challenging course for sure but so dang beautiful.  With any luck, I'll be back to my usual schedule of being in LP in July for the 140.6.  If so, for sure we'll have to meet up.  

We are really looking forward to it. We have never been there, but by all accounts it's beautiful. You will have to give me some helpful hints.

I will gladly share hints, tips, suggestions with you whenever you like!

What is the deal with accommodations in Lake Placid? There is nothing on the IM site. Do I have to do it the old fashioned way and figure it out myself?
Hmmm, that is indeed strange.  There are a good number of hotels right in town on Main Street, though they are likely charging top dollar.  We've most often rented a house through VRBO but have also stayed in Saranac Lake once or twice (maybe 15 minutes away from Lake Placid).  Again, the homeowners know they can up the charge and demand x amount of minimum nights like the hotels do, so many take advantage of that but there are still some relative deals to be had.  If camping is your thing, there is a KOA near the Whiteface area.

2018-08-06 10:17 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hmmm, that is indeed strange.  There are a good number of hotels right in town on Main Street, though they are likely charging top dollar.  We've most often rented a house through VRBO but have also stayed in Saranac Lake once or twice (maybe 15 minutes away from Lake Placid).  Again, the homeowners know they can up the charge and demand x amount of minimum nights like the hotels do, so many take advantage of that but there are still some relative deals to be had.  If camping is your thing, there is a KOA near the Whiteface area.

The AirBnB I rented for Chattanooga definitely did this. Required a 5-night minimum for both 70.3 and 140.6 weekends. Still WAY cheaper and WAY more comfortable than hotel rooms though, at least from my perspective. It's ending up being something like $60 per person per night for a huge house less than 2 miles from the race site. Plus, we will cook family dinners and be able to hang out in a big living room, outdoor deck, etc. Can you tell I'm excited? 

2018-08-06 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Apparently the going rate for car lockouts on a Saturday at high noon is $130 if the only thing you carry on you are your keys and a credit card OR $50 if you have cold, hard cash. Had a nice 2 hour transition between my bike and run 'brick.'

Some people will do anything to try to get out of a run! :-)

Glad that you got it worked out.

2018-08-06 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by TXTriRook I guess this was the weekend of bike issues. After about 25 miles of averaging close to 25 mph (fast for me), I got a rear flat. It's been a couple years since I've changed one but given I was in the middle of nowhere and I had a replacement kit, I gave it a shot. After about 15 minutes I successfully (or so I thought) changed the tire and was back up and running again. I was determined not to let this ruin my race and my next 15 miles were back at 25 mph. As I'm flying down a hill I feel my rear tire swaying from side to side and something didn't feel right. I pull over to check it out and again my rear tire i's flat. Argh! I had 1 CO2 left and tried to fill it but no luck. I wound up walking about a mile until I found a cop who called a support guy who eventually came and helped me out. The whole ordeal cost me about an hour, and a blister from walking in my bike shoes! I was completely demoralized at this point but still decided to do the run so I could get my finishers medal. Very frustrating day all around but I'm not sure there was anything I could have done differently to prevent this. Sorry for the long post but hopefully all of you both carry a flat kit and know how to change a tire on the fly. I know I'll be practicing! On a more positive note, Boulder is a beautiful city and it's a great race. I highly recommend putting it on your to do list! I know I'll be back

WOW, no bueno on the flat! Sorry it took so long for support, that's one of my race nightmares!

I think that's one of most people's race nightmares!

I guess you'll just have to go back next year.

2018-08-06 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

How are the other Lake Logan peeps feeling today? 

My race report is up - here if anyone is interested

I felt better yesterday than I do today. This morning I woke up tired and cranky :-(

2018-08-06 12:29 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I am always that way. The second and sometimes the third day after is way worse than the first. I always feel cranky and achy like I am coming down with the flu. Then I start feeling better. Hang in there. Eat a lot and get lots of sleep if you can!
2018-08-06 3:34 PM

User image

Expert

The AirBnB I rented for Chattanooga definitely did this. Required a 5-night minimum for both 70.3 and 140.6 weekends. Still WAY cheaper and WAY more comfortable than hotel rooms though, at least from my perspective. It's ending up being something like $60 per person per night for a huge house less than 2 miles from the race site. Plus, we will cook family dinners and be able to hang out in a big living room, outdoor deck, etc. Can you tell I'm excited? 

I put on my big boy pants and figured it out (got info from a lady my wife met the first time a raced at Louisville. Have i mentioned Michelle always makes friends at my races.) and booked a hotel for way too much money.

My older kids do AirBnB, we have never tried it. We are trying the Couch Surfing App. for the first time this weekend. We have a kid staying with us who is taking a kite boarding camp. So, if you don't hear from me by next Monday, I was hacked to pieces by a serial killer. Other than that, it should be fun. We supposedly have one of the top kite boarding spots, I don't have an opinion, but there are a lot of them.
2018-08-06 5:19 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I put on my big boy pants and figured it out (got info from a lady my wife met the first time a raced at Louisville. Have i mentioned Michelle always makes friends at my races.) and booked a hotel for way too much money. My older kids do AirBnB, we have never tried it. We are trying the Couch Surfing App. for the first time this weekend. We have a kid staying with us who is taking a kite boarding camp. So, if you don't hear from me by next Monday, I was hacked to pieces by a serial killer. Other than that, it should be fun. We supposedly have one of the top kite boarding spots, I don't have an opinion, but there are a lot of them.

I feel like I do that for every race! Gotta keep the sherpas happy, right?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13488 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27208 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis