BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-15 4:57 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm
Originally posted by awm007

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by abake Just curious, how many of you are on Zwift?

Me!!! I'll be there bright and early on Wednesday :-)

Adam is in there too. Who else?

I stand by my intention to only ride outside, so I still do not own a trainer. Thus, no Zwifting.

I'm too cheap and I live in an area that *should* allow for year round riding outside.

I live in the same type of area, but time constraints do not allow me to ride outside all the time my plan has me riding, so i do the trainer thing during the week and ride outside on the weekend (except for the last few weeks).  No zwifting for me though, I made the switch to the sufferfest. 

Zwift has been a game changer for me. I don't have a power meter but my cheapish trainer allows Zwift to compute power. Between knowing my power output (which needs serious work!) and the engaging environment, it's made an enormous difference in my desire to ride inside (particularly when using the workouts). I still greatly prefer outside for long rides, but for doing speed/power work, I get a much better workout via Zwift.

(PS - this site is a great way to find workouts )
edit: added link above

Thanks for the link to all things Zwift. Agree that it's been a game changer. I think we would all prefer to ride outside but living in Illinois in the winter makes that impractical. Getting feedback on power, heart rate, etc. opened my eyes to how little effort I had been putting into my trainer workouts, before the smart trainer.

2019-01-15 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I stand by my intention to only ride outside, so I still do not own a trainer. Thus, no Zwifting.

I'm too cheap and I live in an area that *should* allow for year round riding outside.

I live in the same type of area, but time constraints do not allow me to ride outside all the time my plan has me riding, so i do the trainer thing during the week and ride outside on the weekend (except for the last few weeks).  No zwifting for me though, I made the switch to the sufferfest. 

Zwift has been a game changer for me. I don't have a power meter but my cheapish trainer allows Zwift to compute power. Between knowing my power output (which needs serious work!) and the engaging environment, it's made an enormous difference in my desire to ride inside (particularly when using the workouts). I still greatly prefer outside for long rides, but for doing speed/power work, I get a much better workout via Zwift. (PS - this site is a great way to find workouts ) edit: added link above

Coach P says that he gets a lot better compliance when folks use Zwift ;-)

So far, I like it a lot. For winter rides that are affected by lack of light, bad road conditions, and cold, I've found this to be a great option. I have not strong desire to ride indoors more than 60-90 minutes -- I have a friend that does Zwift centuries and I'm not getting that just yet!

2019-01-15 7:50 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner No Zwift for me. I just don't get into VR stuff (assuming that's what it is). Plus I am embarrassed at how sucky my power numbers are. (Yes, I know I am light weight and it doesn't look that bad as watts/kilo, but still....My 5 minute power is probably what Ryf, or maybe even Rinny, holds for the entire IM. Or maybe less....) I ride outside when I can (NOT in Idaho winter--I just don't enjoy riding when temps for most of the ride dip below 50 or so. Yes, I know I am a wimp.) and for serious power work and cold weather, I am on my trainer doing my coach's workouts with a power meter. I love watching videos of scenic rides in Europe. I have hiked or biked in some of these places and sometimes almost manage to convince myself I am riding there rather than in our spare bedroom.

What's cool is that you can set your power numbers but it's really done as watts/kg. If your watt/kg is higher than another riders, you pass them.

2019-01-15 7:51 AM
in reply to: BIGGODlilme

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BIGGODlilme Awesome thanks, I am brand new to strava and it may take a back seat to studying at this point

Just tell Strava and Garmin (assuming that you have a Garmin watch?) to talk and it'll work in the background.

2019-01-15 8:07 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I have been thinking of getting kettle bells for home so that I can do a functional strength routine with goblet squats and single leg deadlifts and stuff. I was going through my notes to see what weight that I need to get and I ran across a note title MANATEE GOALS 2014.

I'll post it later but in the meantime, what are your goals for 2019?

2019-01-15 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Zwift has been a game changer for me. I don't have a power meter but my cheapish trainer allows Zwift to compute power. Between knowing my power output (which needs serious work!) and the engaging environment, it's made an enormous difference in my desire to ride inside (particularly when using the workouts). I still greatly prefer outside for long rides, but for doing speed/power work, I get a much better workout via Zwift. (PS - this site is a great way to find workouts ) edit: added link above

Coach P says that he gets a lot better compliance when folks use Zwift ;-)

So far, I like it a lot. For winter rides that are affected by lack of light, bad road conditions, and cold, I've found this to be a great option. I have not strong desire to ride indoors more than 60-90 minutes -- I have a friend that does Zwift centuries and I'm not getting that just yet!

On rare occasions (like hurricanes)  i've had to do a 2+ hour ride on the trainer and want to poke my eyes out! Like you, 60-90 minutes is about the most i find reasonable on a trainer.

2019-01-15 8:31 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

PSA, cycle-wiz is going out of business, so has some pretty good on-line sales right now. Plus, when you go to the site a discount spin wheel pops up that gives you a chance to get even more off your order ( i got another 15%). But,  the extra discount is only good for 20 minutes! That's pretty clever on their part (though not clever enough to keep them in business )

2019-01-15 8:44 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Thanks for the link to all things Zwift. Agree that it's been a game changer. I think we would all prefer to ride outside but living in Illinois in the winter makes that impractical. Getting feedback on power, heart rate, etc. opened my eyes to how little effort I had been putting into my trainer workouts, before the smart trainer.

This was me too. I could see power on my trainer's app before, but it wasn't until I saw tons of people whizzing by me in Zwift that I realized how slack I had been. Knowing the norms of what others are doing is a great motivator to step it up.

Also, Janyne, I've noticed that the watts per kg is not exactly a perfect predictor of speed on Zwift. There seems to be some small effect of equipment or something else. I've noticed that by riding a tri bike in Zwift, I seem to be able to pass some people running the same or slightly higher watts/kg. Sometimes others running a lower watt/kg will pass me. Kinda cool that it takes that into account (except when you are the one getting passed).

Yup, outside is way better, but after eating it on an icy bridge a couple of years ago, the trainer sounds pretty good when it's nasty out.
2019-01-15 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi Team! Happy Tuesday? I don't know ... anyway, just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the challenge. The weight one is what i need. I've watching the scale needle up and doing minor things but not consistently. Having the weekly weigh in seems to be motivating. I had a smoothie already and have logged my food. Right direction! 

Also, i hope you are all faring okay with winter. I saw Chris' post about it being 'Florida cold' there. Ha! We've had a relatively mild winter here so far. It's cold but we haven't had any snow stick yet. But this weekend looks very cold with the potential of a snowstorm so i am strategizing my 16k (10 mile) long run. I may just move it to Friday (I have the day off with my daughter) to avoid the weather ... i just can't quite wrap my head around -15C on Sunday ... no no no no. I may be Canadian but just no. 

Also, we booked a ski vacation to Mont Tremblant. I have never actually been in winter - i did the IM there. It's such a lovely place. Not much of a skiier but i'll give it a go. It will also be very cold ... but maybe going to Spa Scandinave will warm me up. 

2019-01-15 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi Team! Happy Tuesday? I don't know ... anyway, just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the challenge. The weight one is what i need. I've watching the scale needle up and doing minor things but not consistently. Having the weekly weigh in seems to be motivating. I had a smoothie already and have logged my food. Right direction! 

Also, i hope you are all faring okay with winter. I saw Chris' post about it being 'Florida cold' there. Ha! We've had a relatively mild winter here so far. It's cold but we haven't had any snow stick yet. But this weekend looks very cold with the potential of a snowstorm so i am strategizing my 16k (10 mile) long run. I may just move it to Friday (I have the day off with my daughter) to avoid the weather ... i just can't quite wrap my head around -15C on Sunday ... no no no no. I may be Canadian but just no. 

Also, we booked a ski vacation to Mont Tremblant. I have never actually been in winter - i did the IM there. It's such a lovely place. Not much of a skiier but i'll give it a go. It will also be very cold ... but maybe going to Spa Scandinave will warm me up. 

2019-01-15 9:01 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Wait! North Carolina has had snow stick and Toronto hasn't?! What's up with that! And yes, next Monday and Tuesday are gonna be super cold here (for us). Next Tuesday's track workout looks like it could be one of my five coldest runs!

2019-01-15 9:31 AM

User image

Wait! North Carolina has had snow stick and Toronto hasn't?! What's up with that! And yes, next Monday and Tuesday are gonna be super cold here (for us). Next Tuesday's track workout looks like it could be one of my five coldest runs!

Friday gave us our second snow of the year. In Denver. Everyone has gotten snow but us. I want a snow day!!
2019-01-15 9:42 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
I just did the TR Ramp test after being on a bike twice since October. It wasn't pretty.
2019-01-15 9:43 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
I got everything done in terms of challenges yesterday but didn't get a chance to log. Will try to get it done today (work computer doesn't like the spreadsheet)
2019-01-15 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It'll be Florida cold here on Monday as well. I need long pants.

2019-01-15 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

True story! Cold but totally secure footing out there. Weird. Is it even January?? I can't tell. LOL!

2019-01-15 10:31 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Ha! the indignity!

2019-01-15 10:59 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Ha! the indignity!

not.... not... NOT... l-l-l-l-l-long PANTS!!!! OH NO!

2019-01-15 11:12 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh

Ha! the indignity!

I have a few friends that are recent transplants to the area. They consistently spout about selling all of their long pants, cold weather, yada, yada, yada. One of them showed up last week in long pants. Florida cold, it's a real thing.

2019-01-15 11:28 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Ha! the indignity!

I have a few friends that are recent transplants to the area. They consistently spout about selling all of their long pants, cold weather, yada, yada, yada. One of them showed up last week in long pants. Florida cold, it's a real thing.

Oh, I remember. It is sometimes the whiplash that gets you when it goes from 80s to 40s overnight.

2019-01-15 12:14 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Re: Smart Trainer conversation

I'm more of a Trainer Road gal. I tried Zwift for a few weeks, but since I'm 100% not a competitive person, the "group" aspect just made me feel really bad about myself. I know I'm a slower cyclist and don't need to be reminded of it by "real people" zipping by me on the screen. It's the same feeling I got when I tried a spin class where they projected your power score on a big screen real-time and rank you with everyone else in the class. My very first class I came in dead last out of everyone in the room. I was so embarrassed and never went back. Not motivating for me in the least, but I definitely see the appeal for that type of training environment if you are wired to be competitive.

2019-01-15 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ha! the indignity!

And, Florida 40's is colder than 40's most everywhere else b/c the humidity makes everything worse! 

2019-01-15 12:52 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by lisac957

I'm more of a Trainer Road gal. I tried Zwift for a few weeks, but since I'm 100% not a competitive person, the "group" aspect just made me feel really bad about myself. I know I'm a slower cyclist and don't need to be reminded of it by "real people" zipping by me on the screen. It's the same feeling I got when I tried a spin class where they projected your power score on a big screen real-time and rank you with everyone else in the class. My very first class I came in dead last out of everyone in the room. I was so embarrassed and never went back. Not motivating for me in the least, but I definitely see the appeal for that type of training environment if you are wired to be competitive.

that is why i am leaning towards sufferfest. I dont need any more reminders of how slow i am.
2019-01-15 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

that is why i am leaning towards sufferfest. I dont need any more reminders of how slow i am.

As mentioned about 4,000 post ago  I used to do Zwift, now i'm doing sufferfest. I've also done TR and Rouvy. I still have my TR account and will do a workout there from time to time, but am really liking sufferfest. There is no group event (other than the tour of sufferlandia) that i've found, so nothing to keep you engaged in that manner, but right now, for me, i find that sufferfest pushes me harder than any of the other platforms. The workouts are no joke! I did like Zwift, just find that i do better with sufferfest right now. As my mother would say, "that's what makes horse races!' (differences of opinion). 

2019-01-15 1:28 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I haven't been doing any group rides or anything. I just made my workout using the intervals that I was given (for example: 4 x 4 min @ 110% FTP,  remainder at something that I don't remember right now). The main reason that I picked Zwift over the others is I'd need a new computer for them and I could just get an Apple TV for Zwift.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107