BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-03-12 10:18 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hi Manatees! It's still quite frozen here but we are hearing the birds chirping and it seems we are moving to spring! It's very exciting! 

Karen, glad to hear you're healing - even though it is a slow process, 

I had my half marathon not last weekend but the one before that. Did i post an update to the group already?? Anyway, it went well and it was the 'nicest' weather we had for any long run this season - it was sunny with low wind. The snow was cleared. I had a goal to see if i could break two hours and i did. I cam in slightly  better than my half last spring at 1:58:55. I am very happy with this - i had some good mental toughness talks with myself to get the last 5k or so done. But i slowed some but hung on pretty well.

I don't have any other races on the schedule at the moment. I do wonder what will be next but March and April will be a bit quieter. My DH is going to China for work for over two weeks at the end of the month so i just have to keep things going. And, in keeping with the JoGo I really need to focus in on my weight a bit. It's not crazy or anything but it's crazy to keep doing the same things and expect to get a different result. Isn't that the saying? Anyway, starting the strength regimen at home and focusing some on eating. 

I hope you are all doing well. Manatee meet ups sound very exciting!

I imagine things will be a bit crazy with two little ones and Darren out of town!

2019-03-12 10:41 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Lady Manatees who wear DeSoto 400 shorts, when they changed to the newer (with tie) model, did you need to go down a size. I need to order at least one pair of shorts and I hate having to return them and there are no local DeSoto retailers here.

Thanks!

2019-03-12 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Hi Manatees! It's still quite frozen here but we are hearing the birds chirping and it seems we are moving to spring! It's very exciting! 

I had my half marathon not last weekend but the one before that. Did i post an update to the group already?? Anyway, it went well and it was the 'nicest' weather we had for any long run this season - it was sunny with low wind. The snow was cleared. I had a goal to see if i could break two hours and i did. I cam in slightly  better than my half last spring at 1:58:55. I am very happy with this - i had some good mental toughness talks with myself to get the last 5k or so done. But i slowed some but hung on pretty well.

I don't have any other races on the schedule at the moment. I do wonder what will be next but March and April will be a bit quieter. My DH is going to China for work for over two weeks at the end of the month so i just have to keep things going. And, in keeping with the JoGo I really need to focus in on my weight a bit. It's not crazy or anything but it's crazy to keep doing the same things and expect to get a different result. Isn't that the saying? Anyway, starting the strength regimen at home and focusing some on eating. 

I imagine things will be a bit crazy with two little ones and Darren out of town!

It is definitely hectic. Thankfully, my mom will come and stay for about a week which really helps. Also my telework option helps a ton as well. When i don't have to commute to the office i can manage the pick ups/drop offs/ suppers, etc much more easily.  I am also doing meal prep for the freezer next weekend to get ready! 

Thankfully, this trip is only once  a year or even every other year. It really makes me appreciate how much he does and i am in total awe of the single parents who do it 24/7. 

2019-03-12 10:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I'm wondering if we need a new JoGo challenge for spring. What do you think?
2019-03-13 7:12 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by StaceyKI'm wondering if we need a new JoGo challenge for spring. What do you think?
YES!!!!!!!
2019-03-13 7:15 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

It is definitely hectic. Thankfully, my mom will come and stay for about a week which really helps. Also my telework option helps a ton as well. When i don't have to commute to the office i can manage the pick ups/drop offs/ suppers, etc much more easily.  I am also doing meal prep for the freezer next weekend to get ready! 

Thankfully, this trip is only once  a year or even every other year. It really makes me appreciate how much he does and i am in total awe of the single parents who do it 24/7. 

I, too am amazed by single parents, especially ones that add in a hobby or school in addition.

2019-03-13 7:18 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by StaceyKI'm wondering if we need a new JoGo challenge for spring. What do you think?
YES!!!!!!!

What challenge categories? Same as last time or a different focus with race season coming up for many of the Manatees?

How long? 21 days? One month? Longer?

2019-03-13 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Who here use the paid version of Strava. I like me some pretty charts but I'm not sure that It's worth ~$50/year to me. I'm not using a paid version of TP any longer. I do use the free Strava too, Elevate.

2019-03-13 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations on meeting your time goal! Is that a PR? The last few miles of any race can be tough; I usually have a good talking to with myself and remind myself that the faster I run the faster it will be over! 

2019-03-13 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Who here use the paid version of Strava. I like me some pretty charts but I'm not sure that It's worth ~$50/year to me. I'm not using a paid version of TP any longer. I do use the free Strava too, Elevate.

I don't use the paid version of Strava as I'm not sure what benefit it would provide, so I too would love to know if anyone uses it and what they get from it. I still use the paid version of TP. I'm not sure why though. 

2019-03-13 8:43 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

Expanding on the Strava/TP topic - anyone use best bike split? It has a free and paid version.  I've just signed up for the free version, but may sign  up for tat least the free version. It looks really cool for races - from the website : Our math and physics engine takes your power datacourse info, and race day conditions to predict your race performance and create the perfect power plan so you can hit your best bike split ever.

I've put in my information for the Choo 70.3 course and it has created a plan to follow for each part of the bike course.  i've also downloaded the Choo course and I should be able to load that into TP or trainer road or garmin and then train on the course from my trainer. You can supposedly trim the course profile to just the sections you want too. That part may be in the paid version as I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet.

2019-03-13 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I don't use the paid version of Strava as I'm not sure what benefit it would provide, so I too would love to know if anyone uses it and what they get from it. I still use the paid version of TP. I'm not sure why though. 

Hmm. Now that I have to explain it, I think I just saved $50.

The training pack gives you filtered leader boards (which is nice if you run the same segments a lot and want to compare to others but if you just want to compare to yourself, that's in the free version). It also has race analysis and pace analysis which I guess could be interesting but honestly, I get that elsewhere.

The analysis pack has more features that could be useful -- Relative Effort, Workout Analysis, Heart Rate Analysis, Power Analysis
Fitness & Freshness. Again, this is all stuff that I could get elsewhere but it might be convenient to be able to look at it in Strava. 

Each pack is $24. I have no need for the Safety pack. Personal heatmaps would be cool but I don't have plans to use Beacon so I had already eliminated this one. (If you get all three -- training, analysis, and safety -- it's $60/yr)

For the sake of comparison, I priced out TP and it's $95/yr with the 20% discount that I could find. If I were uber into the analysis, it might be worth it but my training plan is in Final Surge now so it gets clunky really fast. I'm going to continue to use FS and Strava, I don't know that I want to add another log right now.

2019-03-13 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Expanding on the Strava/TP topic - anyone use best bike split? It has a free and paid version.  I've just signed up for the free version, but may sign  up for tat least the free version. It looks really cool for races - from the website : Our math and physics engine takes your power datacourse info, and race day conditions to predict your race performance and create the perfect power plan so you can hit your best bike split ever.

I've put in my information for the Choo 70.3 course and it has created a plan to follow for each part of the bike course.  i've also downloaded the Choo course and I should be able to load that into TP or trainer road or garmin and then train on the course from my trainer. You can supposedly trim the course profile to just the sections you want too. That part may be in the paid version as I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet.

I think that it's good if you are doing IM branded events because they already have the proper course in there. I also got a little bit lost in there. But yes, it can be good for setting your target watts for events.

2019-03-13 9:20 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

OK, manatees, it's time for a 'for fun' question which came to me while running a couple weeks ago:

What amount of money that you find in the street would be 'the line' where you thought about turning it in to someone (like the police, assuming there is no one around who has obviously lost the cash)?

Would it make a difference if you found it in town (populated area) or running a rural road or not heavily used trail?  For instance, $50 in town might be a bit different than $50 on a road with houses few and far between.

No, I didn't find any cash recently but I always keep my eyes peeled for change (and nails, metal, etc., I pick them up so cars don't get damaged) and this thought crossed my mind.  I've found a $20 bill on a fund-raiser bike ride out in the middle of nowhere with no one around and picked it up and kept it, otherwise my findings have all been $5 or less and usually change, not bills, but there have been a few.

2019-03-13 9:29 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

OK, manatees, it's time for a 'for fun' question which came to me while running a couple weeks ago:

What amount of money that you find in the street would be 'the line' where you thought about turning it in to someone (like the police, assuming there is no one around who has obviously lost the cash)?

Would it make a difference if you found it in town (populated area) or running a rural road or not heavily used trail?  For instance, $50 in town might be a bit different than $50 on a road with houses few and far between.

No, I didn't find any cash recently but I always keep my eyes peeled for change (and nails, metal, etc., I pick them up so cars don't get damaged) and this thought crossed my mind.  I've found a $20 bill on a fund-raiser bike ride out in the middle of nowhere with no one around and picked it up and kept it, otherwise my findings have all been $5 or less and usually change, not bills, but there have been a few.

I always pick up coins, even pennies. We have coins jar and once it's filled to the top, we will cash it. It's a big jar and we've been collecting it for years, so that's going to be exciting when we find out how much there is inside... (maybe we're rich and we have no idea... )

Back to you question, I think if I found a hundred dollars bill, I would keep it. There is no way I would find an owner - unless I saw it dropped from somebody's pocket. Obviously, if I ask around or return it to police, chances are they would keep it to themselves.
If I found a bag with thousands and thousands of dollars I think I would turn it in, as I would be paranoid it belongs to some mafia, and they saw me taking it, and will come and kill my whole family.....

By the way, I absolutely love all the reflections and crazy thoughts we have during runs
2019-03-13 9:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

I always pick up coins, even pennies. We have coins jar and once it's filled to the top, we will cash it. It's a big jar and we've been collecting it for years, so that's going to be exciting when we find out how much there is inside... (maybe we're rich and we have no idea... )

Back to you question, I think if I found a hundred dollars bill, I would keep it. There is no way I would find an owner - unless I saw it dropped from somebody's pocket. Obviously, if I ask around or return it to police, chances are they would keep it to themselves. If I found a bag with thousands and thousands of dollars I think I would turn it in, as I would be paranoid it belongs to some mafia, and they saw me taking it, and will come and kill my whole family..... By the way, I absolutely love all the reflections and crazy thoughts we have during runs

I agree with Mary G's statement, unless it was pretty obvious who dropped it, I'd probably just call it found money. If I had a clear idea who dropped it from either what I saw or the location, I would return it.

Last year, Jackie was waiting in line for a post-race massage. $1/min, cash only. She had a $20 bill. While she was sitting and waiting, it dropped right next to her and someone tried to take it. In that case, it was probably pretty obvious.

I've turned in credit cards before. I haven't found any significant cash recently. I found $1 bill a few weeks ago and used it to tip a barrista later that day.

ETA to fix attribution

Edited by jmkizer 2019-03-13 9:51 AM

2019-03-13 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Back to you question, I think if I found a hundred dollars bill, I would keep it. There is no way I would find an owner - unless I saw it dropped from somebody's pocket. Obviously, if I ask around or return it to police, chances are they would keep it to themselves. If I found a bag with thousands and thousands of dollars I think I would turn it in, as I would be paranoid it belongs to some mafia, and they saw me taking it, and will come and kill my whole family..... By the way, I absolutely love all the reflections and crazy thoughts we have during runs

I agree with Mary G's statement, unless it was pretty obvious who dropped it, I'd probably just call it found money. If I had a clear idea who dropped it from either what I saw or the location, I would return it.

Last year, Jackie was waiting in line for a post-race massage. $1/min, cash only. She had a $20 bill. While she was sitting and waiting, it dropped right next to her and someone tried to take it. In that case, it was probably pretty obvious.

I've turned in credit cards before. I haven't found any significant cash recently. I found $1 bill a few weeks ago and used it to tip a barrista later that day.

ETA to fix attribution

What is this "cash" you're speaking of?
For real though, I think $150 sounds about right. I don't know that many people who carry large amounts of cash, and if they do its in a wallet or something where that much would probably be the most to fall on to the ground.
Anything that comes in a metal briefcase gets reported to the police. :D
2019-03-13 10:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm not lucky like that. I have once in my life found anything over $1. In college, my running partner and I found $50 on the street a few days before Thanksgiving. We did let the police know, but no one reported it missing so we kept it. We used it to splurge on a fancy Thanksgiving buffet since neither of us could get home for the holiday. These days....dunno...maybe I'd draw the line at $100. Inflation! BTW despite all my other crappy luck I have found more $ this week than any other time since college. 47 cents and counting--a quarter, two dimes, two pennies, all in separate finds! Maybe it could pay for one of my stitches or something.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-03-13 10:14 AM
2019-03-13 10:14 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'm not lucky like that. I have once in my life found anything over $1. In college, my running partner and I found $50 on the street a few days before Thanksgiving. We did let the police know but no one reported it missing so we kept it. We used it to splurge on a fancy Thanksgiving buffet since neither of us could get home for the holiday. These days....dunno...maybe I'd draw the line at $100. Inflation! BTW despite all my other crappy luck I have found more $ this week since college. 47 cents and counting! Maybe it could pay for one of my stitches or something.

Yeah, usually I'm excited if I find something like a quarter. The $1 bill was a big win for me!

2019-03-13 10:51 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Orlando

I always pick up coins, even pennies. We have coins jar and once it's filled to the top, we will cash it. It's a big jar and we've been collecting it for years, so that's going to be exciting when we find out how much there is inside... (maybe we're rich and we have no idea... ) Back to you question, I think if I found a hundred dollars bill, I would keep it. There is no way I would find an owner - unless I saw it dropped from somebody's pocket. Obviously, if I ask around or return it to police, chances are they would keep it to themselves. If I found a bag with thousands and thousands of dollars I think I would turn it in, as I would be paranoid it belongs to some mafia, and they saw me taking it, and will come and kill my whole family..... By the way, I absolutely love all the reflections and crazy thoughts we have during runs

Hahaha, that is pretty cynical of you!! I know each jurisdictions has laws regarding found/lost property, so if you turned in found $$ and no one claimed it in whatever time frame your state law provides, the $$ is yours.  If you are worried about the police keeping it, make sure you get some sort of receipt  I've found as much as $20 and have kept it (no one around, so no way to give it back to anyone). I'm not sure what my line for turning it to the police is, but i won't argue with $150.  It always amazes me when you see video of people going crazy scooping up cash that has fallen out of an armored car and claiming it is their cash b/c they picked it up! No, no it's not. There is a readily identifiable owner, it's not yours, turn it in!! 

2019-03-13 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

ETA to fix attribution

That type of thing makes me nuts! 

2019-03-13 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hmm. Now that I have to explain it, I think I just saved $50.

The training pack gives you filtered leader boards (which is nice if you run the same segments a lot and want to compare to others but if you just want to compare to yourself, that's in the free version). It also has race analysis and pace analysis which I guess could be interesting but honestly, I get that elsewhere.

The analysis pack has more features that could be useful -- Relative Effort, Workout Analysis, Heart Rate Analysis, Power Analysis
Fitness & Freshness. Again, this is all stuff that I could get elsewhere but it might be convenient to be able to look at it in Strava. 

Each pack is $24. I have no need for the Safety pack. Personal heatmaps would be cool but I don't have plans to use Beacon so I had already eliminated this one. (If you get all three -- training, analysis, and safety -- it's $60/yr)

For the sake of comparison, I priced out TP and it's $95/yr with the 20% discount that I could find. If I were uber into the analysis, it might be worth it but my training plan is in Final Surge now so it gets clunky really fast. I'm going to continue to use FS and Strava, I don't know that I want to add another log right now.

I need to check out final surge. 

2019-03-13 11:06 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I always pick up coins, even pennies. We have coins jar and once it's filled to the top, we will cash it. It's a big jar and we've been collecting it for years, so that's going to be exciting when we find out how much there is inside... (maybe we're rich and we have no idea... ) Back to you question, I think if I found a hundred dollars bill, I would keep it. There is no way I would find an owner - unless I saw it dropped from somebody's pocket. Obviously, if I ask around or return it to police, chances are they would keep it to themselves. If I found a bag with thousands and thousands of dollars I think I would turn it in, as I would be paranoid it belongs to some mafia, and they saw me taking it, and will come and kill my whole family..... By the way, I absolutely love all the reflections and crazy thoughts we have during runs

Hahaha, that is pretty cynical of you!! I know each jurisdictions has laws regarding found/lost property, so if you turned in found $$ and no one claimed it in whatever time frame your state law provides, the $$ is yours.  If you are worried about the police keeping it, make sure you get some sort of receipt  I've found as much as $20 and have kept it (no one around, so no way to give it back to anyone). I'm not sure what my line for turning it to the police is, but i won't argue with $150.  It always amazes me when you see video of people going crazy scooping up cash that has fallen out of an armored car and claiming it is their cash b/c they picked it up! No, no it's not. There is a readily identifiable owner, it's not yours, turn it in!! 

Oh... I had no idea there was such law
2019-03-13 11:59 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Orlando

Oh... I had no idea there was such law
That’s ok, I have an advantage over you since I’m an attorney for a law enforcement agency
2019-03-13 12:29 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Re: found money - have found $5 or $10 once on my way home from a run and no one was around. I looked but kept it. Felt conflicted about using it. It was right outside a large apartment building on the way to a subway stop so many people stop through there. I think it's different if it was with a wallet or something else identifiable. 

Another time i picked up $40 on the street someone had clear dropped after going to the ATM - there was a receipt but no name and it wasn't close to the bank. It was a dark wet night early in november or something like that - I suppose i could have done all the leg work to take it to that bank later but i donated it to charity. I very purposely didn't spend it. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107