BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-08-10 9:50 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Does anyone have experience with Bike box's for airline travel? It looks like my choices are $30.00 or $400.00. I'm sort of confused are concerned.

2019-08-11 6:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Does anyone have experience with Bike box's for airline travel? It looks like my choices are $30.00 or $400.00. I'm sort of confused are concerned.

Is there an area bike shop (or club) that you can rent/borrow from?  The other option is to use something like Tri Bike Transport but you'd still have to get your bike from your house to Fraser, MI and it would still cost you $360.  But your bike would stay fully assembled the entire time.

Kevin is planning to borrow this one for our trip to Utah this fall:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-accessories/bike-travel-cases/thule-roundtrip-transition-_-1683469

Edited to make Thule link clickable.

Edited by jmkizer 2019-08-11 6:56 AM
2019-08-11 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would assume the $30 would be for the shop to give you a cardboard bike box for transport. They actually work pretty well in most situations if properly packed, protect the bike as well or better than soft-sided and semi-rigid cases, are way lighter than hard cases, and require less disassembly than some cases. Often you can re-use them several times as well.

The drawbacks are that they can be very awkward to lug around compared to a wheeled bike case, and they aren't at all waterproof.
For years before I got a bike case, I traveled with my bike in a cardboard bike box, including several trips between Vietnam and the US, and a World Championship in Australia. It didn't look too classy, but whatever. Only had one issue, which was when the box became so wet being loaded off a ferry and into a taxi in a monsoon downpour that it disintegrated at the airport. Luckily one of the airlines, or maybe the luggage service center (this was Singapore) had some bike boxes in stock and I was able to get a new one and repack it before check-in. (You also need to travel with tape and scissors as well as tools.)

$400 will get you a nice case. Probably worth it if you plan to do a lot of air travel with an expensive carbon fiber bike. If not, the cardboard box route might work better. There are also some compromises--one of my friends in Vietnam had something like a cardboard bike box, but waterproof, that cost maybe $150. Can't remember the brand name. I've seen it in the back of Triathlon magazine.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-08-11 8:38 AM
2019-08-12 8:21 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by cdban66

Simple and functional:

I can't see close enough. Do those adjust to pivot in or out? I have seen some that do. The problem I had with my former tri bike is that I have to have my arms more in a V-shape because of my neck and shoulder surgeries.

No, unfortunately, there is no ability to pivot. How much twist are you going to need?

2019-08-12 9:54 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Do any of our Floridians have recommendations for where to stay in Miami and Orlando? My husband and parents are making the trek to MiamiMan in early November, and stopping by Orlando for a couple days after the race. I have no real idea what good and/or bad neighborhoods are in either of these places.

Miami:
The race site is Zoo Miami, but is it better to stay closer to the beach for my family? I'm willing to drive 30ish minutes on race morning if it means they're staying somewhere pleasant. We're hoping to do an airbnb or vrbo for this, so we all stay in one place that has a nice kitchen.

Orlando:
My mom and I are VERY EXCITED to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Any experience with staying onsite? Open to hotels or a vacation home situation here. We have cars, so transportation to the parks is not a problem if it is better to stay a little further away.

Thanks, all! xoxo
2019-08-12 3:13 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Atlantia

Orlando:
My mom and I are VERY EXCITED to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Any experience with staying onsite? Open to hotels or a vacation home situation here. We have cars, so transportation to the parks is not a problem if it is better to stay a little further away.

Thanks, all! xoxo

It's not cheap but we love Sapphire Falls on site - it's just a boat ride to the park and you get early admin when staying on site. If you have Costco you can see if there are deals on their travel site (prices are usually the same but they throw in like $100 costco cards etc). If you want to save, stay off site (and pay to park) but if you want to live it up stay onsite (and pay to park at the hotel LOL).

I consider myself a Disney/Universal expert on the topic of "visiting the park without kids." LOL

2019-08-13 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia Do any of our Floridians have recommendations for where to stay in Miami and Orlando? My husband and parents are making the trek to MiamiMan in early November, and stopping by Orlando for a couple days after the race. I have no real idea what good and/or bad neighborhoods are in either of these places. Miami: The race site is Zoo Miami, but is it better to stay closer to the beach for my family? I'm willing to drive 30ish minutes on race morning if it means they're staying somewhere pleasant. We're hoping to do an airbnb or vrbo for this, so we all stay in one place that has a nice kitchen. Orlando: My mom and I are VERY EXCITED to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Any experience with staying onsite? Open to hotels or a vacation home situation here. We have cars, so transportation to the parks is not a problem if it is better to stay a little further away. Thanks, all! xoxo

I would stay close to the beach for your miamiman race. There really is nothing to do (other than the zoo) around the race site and it isn't bad coming in from that distance race morning. In fact, when i did Miamiman I stayed in the Ft Lauderdale area at my family's house and made the hour trip without issue. Pay attention to the parking directions they give you though as while there is enough parking, there is some technique involved in getting everyone parked!

In Orlando, i would stay at one of the Universal hotels. They have quite a few with various price points. I think that all, except maybe Cabana Bay and Sapphire Falls offer a free express pass- but i'd double check this since as an Orlando resident I never go to the parks!!  They just opened a new more budget friendly hotel at Universal called Endless Summer. I don't think it is actually in the park, but rather right next to it. There are also a number of hotels right outside the park - unlike Disney Universal didn't buy a bunch of land around their park to keep businesses a safe distance away!, so you can also look at places like Hyatt House, Double Tree, or Holiday Inn.

2019-08-13 12:30 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Orlando:

Thanks, all! xoxo

It's not cheap but we love Sapphire Falls on site - it's just a boat ride to the park and you get early admin when staying on site. If you have Costco you can see if there are deals on their travel site (prices are usually the same but they throw in like $100 costco cards etc). If you want to save, stay off site (and pay to park) but if you want to live it up stay onsite (and pay to park at the hotel LOL).

I consider myself a Disney/Universal expert on the topic of "visiting the park without kids." LOL

Thanks for the recommendation. My parents are FL residents now, so I guess they get some kind of discounts?
2019-08-13 12:31 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Atlantia Do any of our Floridians have recommendations for where to stay in Miami and Orlando? My husband and parents are making the trek to MiamiMan in early November, and stopping by Orlando for a couple days after the race. I have no real idea what good and/or bad neighborhoods are in either of these places. Miami: The race site is Zoo Miami, but is it better to stay closer to the beach for my family? I'm willing to drive 30ish minutes on race morning if it means they're staying somewhere pleasant. We're hoping to do an airbnb or vrbo for this, so we all stay in one place that has a nice kitchen. Orlando: My mom and I are VERY EXCITED to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Any experience with staying onsite? Open to hotels or a vacation home situation here. We have cars, so transportation to the parks is not a problem if it is better to stay a little further away. Thanks, all! xoxo

I would stay close to the beach for your miamiman race. There really is nothing to do (other than the zoo) around the race site and it isn't bad coming in from that distance race morning. In fact, when i did Miamiman I stayed in the Ft Lauderdale area at my family's house and made the hour trip without issue. Pay attention to the parking directions they give you though as while there is enough parking, there is some technique involved in getting everyone parked!

In Orlando, i would stay at one of the Universal hotels. They have quite a few with various price points. I think that all, except maybe Cabana Bay and Sapphire Falls offer a free express pass- but i'd double check this since as an Orlando resident I never go to the parks!!  They just opened a new more budget friendly hotel at Universal called Endless Summer. I don't think it is actually in the park, but rather right next to it. There are also a number of hotels right outside the park - unlike Disney Universal didn't buy a bunch of land around their park to keep businesses a safe distance away!, so you can also look at places like Hyatt House, Double Tree, or Holiday Inn.

Any specific kind of beach recommendations? My parents are in their 70s, and live in Pensacola, so they like a more calm beach atmosphere. I don't want to traumatize them with excessive noise and people, haha!
2019-08-13 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Any specific kind of beach recommendations? My parents are in their 70s, and live in Pensacola, so they like a more calm beach atmosphere. I don't want to traumatize them with excessive noise and people, haha!

stay away from south beac then! Maybe look around the coconut grove area.

2019-08-13 3:46 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

POL post!

Dang I've missed you all! I just skimmed the last few pages to see what y'all have been up to. I wish I'd been keeping up via email! That cherry juice conversation would have been super helpful. While we've been trying to get the house ready so sell DH has been off work with acute sciatica. Lots of ups and downs in the group that I missed as well

We found a house near Canyon Lake north of San Antonio   I'm hoping we won't have too long between closings because DH will be in a hotel with the funny farm  while I'm away at training

I am ready for life to chill the heck out so I have time to keep up with this group again!

2019-08-13 9:38 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Would also like life to chill the heck out. Just a pre-emptive proof of life here--I will probably be dropping off the radar after tomorrow for a week or two as we are moving to Oregon Thursday/Friday and then need to get Wifi going in the new house. Plus, just a little busy with unpacking 60-odd boxes plus trying to get my classroom ready for the new year. Crazy times!

No real news here except that for some reason since four weeks ago, I have developed the ability to swim 2K in a lake in my wetsuit without the fins in a reasonable facsimile of actual swimming. (Discovered this when I forgot my fins last night.) Neither completely pain-free nor fast, but I think I would not utterly humiliate myself in a race (at least up to HIM distance) and/or fail to make a time cut-off. Irrelevant I guess as not racing any tris this year, but a relief to know.

Unfortunately said ability doesn't appear to translate at all to swimming with neither wetsuit nor fins in a pool. I did 3 X 200 today and was DYING. Not really sure why, just felt/looked like fish right before they go belly-up. OMG I am now one of those triathletes who will panic if wetsuits aren't allowed. It never made much difference to me before; now it does.
2019-08-14 5:00 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Would also like life to chill the heck out. Just a pre-emptive proof of life here--I will probably be dropping off the radar after tomorrow for a week or two as we are moving to Oregon Thursday/Friday and then need to get Wifi going in the new house. Plus, just a little busy with unpacking 60-odd boxes plus trying to get my classroom ready for the new year. Crazy times!

safe travels!
2019-08-14 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

POL post!

Dang I've missed you all! I just skimmed the last few pages to see what y'all have been up to. I wish I'd been keeping up via email! That cherry juice conversation would have been super helpful. While we've been trying to get the house ready so sell DH has been off work with acute sciatica. Lots of ups and downs in the group that I missed as well

We found a house near Canyon Lake north of San Antonio   I'm hoping we won't have too long between closings because DH will be in a hotel with the funny farm  while I'm away at training

I am ready for life to chill the heck out so I have time to keep up with this group again!

Thanks so much for checking in! I'm sure that life has been a whirlwind for you with worth and selling/buying houses and moving and a new job...

I'm so sorry that Mr. TJ has been down for the count. I've been down that sciatica path and it was not fun.

It's great that you found a house. Sending closing coordination zen your way.

You're still coming to Land and Sky with us, right?

2019-08-14 6:38 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Would also like life to chill the heck out. Just a pre-emptive proof of life here--I will probably be dropping off the radar after tomorrow for a week or two as we are moving to Oregon Thursday/Friday and then need to get Wifi going in the new house. Plus, just a little busy with unpacking 60-odd boxes plus trying to get my classroom ready for the new year. Crazy times! No real news here except that for some reason since four weeks ago, I have developed the ability to swim 2K in a lake in my wetsuit without the fins in a reasonable facsimile of actual swimming. (Discovered this when I forgot my fins last night.) Neither completely pain-free nor fast, but I think I would not utterly humiliate myself in a race (at least up to HIM distance) and/or fail to make a time cut-off. Irrelevant I guess as not racing any tris this year, but a relief to know. Unfortunately said ability doesn't appear to translate at all to swimming with neither wetsuit nor fins in a pool. I did 3 X 200 today and was DYING. Not really sure why, just felt/looked like fish right before they go belly-up. OMG I am now one of those triathletes who will panic if wetsuits aren't allowed. It never made much difference to me before; now it does.

Safe travels! I hope that your move and new house and new job all go well for you.

It's great that you are seeing some improvement! Hopefully more improvements are just around the corner!

2019-08-14 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Maybe look around the coconut grove area.

Second person I've heard that from now, so I will check it out. Thanks!

2019-08-14 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723 Maybe look around the coconut grove area.
Second person I've heard that from now, so I will check it out. Thanks!

I love the Manatees! We are spread out enough and have enough of a variety of experiences that we can get pointers on so many things!

2019-08-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

POL post!

Thanks so much for checking in! I'm sure that life has been a whirlwind for you with worth and selling/buying houses and moving and a new job...

I'm so sorry that Mr. TJ has been down for the count. I've been down that sciatica path and it was not fun.

Absolutely. Once we're "settled" in SA I'll get working on travel plans for that

2019-08-14 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

POL post!

Absolutely. Once we're "settled" in SA I'll get working on travel plans for that

Great!

2019-08-15 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
It's official, because I paid money. I am registered for IM Florida.

Also, buying a hard case for the bike. This racation might become a thing.
Frasier Bikes is 3 hours away, so race transport will be difficult. Plus I carry tools and do most of my own work because the LBS is 11/2 hours away. I learned the value of carrying tools when I needed to make a repair and I found myself at Walgreens at 11:00 PM buying a cheap socket screwdriver and borrowing a box cutter to make the repair. The store let me keep the box cutter (not sure if a scared them or just looked pathetic),

Edited by JBacarella 2019-08-15 7:32 PM
2019-08-16 10:05 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!! 

August 17-18
Anne - Steamboat Springs gravel ride
Randee - IM Mont Tremblant on Sunday (1051)

August 15 is Mary G's birthday
August 16 is Karen's birthday

Is anyone else racing?

2019-08-16 1:08 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Go racers!!!
2019-08-16 1:49 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!! 

August 17-18

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Racers!

Happy Birthday Mary and Karen
2019-08-16 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!! 

August 17-18

Is anyone else racing?

Have fun racers! Happy bday Mary and Karen!!

2019-08-16 3:34 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Racing Manatees!!! 

August 17-18

Is anyone else racing?

Have fun racers! Happy bday Mary and Karen!!

Yes, happy birthday Mary and Karen and good luck racers!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107