BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-08-30 12:50 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh Talk to me about strength work you all do, or do not do. And specific excercises or routines you find help your SBR?

Robin, I mostly follow a core routine right now.  Planks and pushups and stuff.  I also spend quality time stretching and foam rolling during the same time slot.  My current training plan also has me doing some run plyometrics once a week.  And I'm supposed to be doing wall squats but I keep on forgetting :-(

Thanks. For the first time in a couple of years, i am healed from injuries and surgeries and am eager to start some strenght work. Esp core.

2019-08-30 4:02 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by ceilidh Talk to me about strength work you all do, or do not do. And specific excercises or routines you find help your SBR?

Robin, I mostly follow a core routine right now.  Planks and pushups and stuff.  I also spend quality time stretching and foam rolling during the same time slot.  My current training plan also has me doing some run plyometrics once a week.  And I'm supposed to be doing wall squats but I keep on forgetting :-(

Thanks. For the first time in a couple of years, i am healed from injuries and surgeries and am eager to start some strenght work. Esp core.

I do core routines and legs routines. These are my specific exercises:

1. Core:
- regular planks
- side planks (on elbows and on straight arms)
- plank to balance (works both - core and balance!)
- reverse plank (at some point I will do those with one leg up, but it's so hard!!)
- "Superman"
- "scissors"
- weight twists (I do not use weights, I only move "empty" hands)
- leg lifts
- push-ups, pull-ups (many variations: knee to cheast, etc...)
- inverted row (I can do this one at home because my daughter has gymnastic bar)
- at the end of each core workout I try to do bridge and hand stand. My bridge is very weak and my hand stand is non-existent... But getting there

2. Legs:
- lunges
- Bulgarian lunges
- squats
- leg lifts to the side
- "clams"
- bridges (great for hamstring!)
- deadlifts

2019-08-30 4:19 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

August 31-September 1

Is anyone racing?

Happy Labor Day weekend to all the US-based Manatees.

Hurricane Dorian, head to the fishes thoughts heading to the Caribbean.  You are not welcomed in FL or GA or SC or NC!

Yes, please stay safe to all manatees but especially those under threat of Dorian.

2019-09-01 8:34 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

August 31-September 1

Is anyone racing?

Happy Labor Day weekend to all the US-based Manatees.

Hurricane Dorian, head to the fishes thoughts heading to the Caribbean.  You are not welcomed in FL or GA or SC or NC!

Yes, please stay safe to all manatees but especially those under threat of Dorian.

our Bahama friends are getting pummeled, fla, Ga and SC areas are under mandatory evacuations. Be safe all.
2019-09-03 10:46 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Stay safe everyone!!!
2019-09-03 1:48 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83 Stay safe everyone!!!

Agree! I hope you are all where you need to be to stay safe! 

2019-09-03 2:08 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey Manatees - i think it's been a while since i posted. Today is the first day of school and Felicity is in Grade 1! We've had a good summer but no racing for me. My intention of doing a triathlon didn't happen but i am gearing up for a Fall half marathon and enjoying cooler temperatures around here. It's been a good summer. We did a big road trip to Canada's east coast. Visited family in Nova Scotia and then we went to PEI

I did sign up for Mont Tremblant 70.3 for next year!! It's one week after my 40th birthday. So i have to get my plan and such in order. Thinking I'll use the Fink intermediate plan (for 70.3 not full) but would love if you have plans or online coaches that are good - i have lots of time to look into it. 

As for strength training i've started doing the 21 Day Fix workouts from Beachbody because i definitely felt like i was losing strength and I love the rotation of 30-minute workouts. There's pilates which is always good for injury prevention, core work, but also plylo work. So, i keep doing those and i am feeling stronger ... i am not a coach and have no financial incentive to recommend them :P

2019-09-03 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

When i was not training for longer course tris, i was very good about going to the gym 3 times a week or so where i did full body work outs. For me, core and hamstring exercises are important. But, once i started in with IM and HIM races my gym workouts became a thing of the past. Now I try to do yoga multiple days a week, but only in 15 minute bursts bc otherwise i want to slam my head into the wall I've been pretty bad about doing it lately, so am signing up for a 30 day challenge which starts next week. Hoping that will get me back in the swing of things.

2019-09-03 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey Manatees - i think it's been a while since i posted. Today is the first day of school and Felicity is in Grade 1! We've had a good summer but no racing for me. My intention of doing a triathlon didn't happen but i am gearing up for a Fall half marathon and enjoying cooler temperatures around here. It's been a good summer. We did a big road trip to Canada's east coast. Visited family in Nova Scotia and then we went to PEI

I did sign up for Mont Tremblant 70.3 for next year!! It's one week after my 40th birthday. So i have to get my plan and such in order. Thinking I'll use the Fink intermediate plan (for 70.3 not full) but would love if you have plans or online coaches that are good - i have lots of time to look into it. 

As for strength training i've started doing the 21 Day Fix workouts from Beachbody because i definitely felt like i was losing strength and I love the rotation of 30-minute workouts. There's pilates which is always good for injury prevention, core work, but also plylo work. So, i keep doing those and i am feeling stronger ... i am not a coach and have no financial incentive to recommend them :P

Woo Hoo! I've heard nothing but good things about this race! I have never used a coach, but rather use various on-line plans eg, Endurance Nation 70.3 (ask Janyne how she liked them as she used them recently and more indepth), Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 (for 70.3), and  Siri Lindley's IM . I think they are all good and pretty similar- at least the 70.3 plans.  I am mildly considering getting a coach for Choo 70.3. If i do it will probably be Sara McLarty with swim like a pro .   She is local and has a very active tri club, so that may make things easy for me. Plus, she was the fastest female swimmer in triathlon for years and gives great swim lessons; i really need to up my swim game. 

I know lots of people use and like the Fink program, so i'm sure you wouldn't go wrong using it either.

2019-09-04 8:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Woo Hoo! I've heard nothing but good things about this race! I have never used a coach, but rather use various on-line plans eg, Endurance Nation 70.3 (ask Janyne how she liked them as she used them recently and more indepth), Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 (for 70.3), and  Siri Lindley's IM . I think they are all good and pretty similar- at least the 70.3 plans.  I am mildly considering getting a coach for Choo 70.3. If i do it will probably be Sara McLarty with swim like a pro .   She is local and has a very active tri club, so that may make things easy for me. Plus, she was the fastest female swimmer in triathlon for years and gives great swim lessons; i really need to up my swim game. 

I know lots of people use and like the Fink program, so i'm sure you wouldn't go wrong using it either.

I know that you did the Condo Hustle to get your accommodations for Tremblant all set.

I'll echo Ann-Marie's comments. A lot of people have success with 80/20 and the Fink plans.  I believe that Adam and Robin are both using Fink now.  If you go the coach route, you might consider PBM coaching (www.pbmcoaching.com/coaches/).  I think that Anne and Randee have both used them.  Don't forget the BT plans either.  I think that Karen is using them at the moment.

Endurance Nation is kind of in the middle -- not a plan "just a plan" but also not a coach.  You use their plans and are more or less self coached but also have the resources of other team members and you can schedule calls with Coach Patrick (within reason).  I like the team.  I enjoy the plans.  I am not having my best/fastest season ever.  After last year (with a coach), when I hated most of my training and was nearing the end of my rope, just enjoying my hobby again is a good thing.  Coach Patrick hasn't made me cry once.  Coach Jackie had me crying weekly. (I won't be recommending her to you for MT70.3).  Anyway, EN is what BT could have been. 

Maybe Karen, Adam, Randee, and Anne could chime in?

Jen, do you have a bike trainer?  Do you have a power meter?  Some plans might be easier to work with than others depending on your equipment.

ETA follow up question

Edited by jmkizer 2019-09-04 8:34 AM
2019-09-04 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

In other news, both Ann-Marie and I are signed up for the Sufferfest yoga challenge that starts next week.  Is anyone else interested in joining us?

https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/the-sufferfest-blog/join-the-30-day-power-up-yoga-challenge

(You'd need a subscription to The Sufferfest and a Mac/Windows/iOS device to install the app on. $12.99/mo or $99/yr)

2019-09-04 9:16 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Awesome that you signed up for the 70.3 - I've also heard good things about that race.

Janyne is right - I've used the Fink 70.3 plan 4 times now. I've never hired a coach (see my previous comment about how cheap I am) so I can't speak to the differences. I have purchased and considered plans in Friel's Training Bible book but ended up not using them. Here's some notes about each:

The Friel plans were very detailed and honestly, confusing. Each day has several codes that you have to go and decipher. I ended up making an extensive spreadsheet with lookup tables to do that for me as it was quite the hassle. There were also something like 9 distinct levels of strenuousness you could go for. It also had 3 days of swimming.

The Fink book had a few notable features: It uses time based training instead of distance based training. I find "run 2 hours" to be less stressful than "run 12 miles" even if it works out to be about the same. The time based training allows you to plan your day a bit better. The Fink plan only includes 3 levels (just finish, moderate, and competitive) - I've done the moderate each time. The Fink plan on has 2 days of swimming which was a big plus for me given that the pool has a longer gear up and drive requirement than bike or run (plus I needed most work on the bike, not the swim). The Fink plan is also really simple with a regular routine - long bike on Sat (with short brick run of 15 minutes), long run Sunday, 2 rest days, etc. It was very easy for me to block my calendar to train with that type of regularity.

That's a quick run-down of what I see as the difference in these two plans. If you are highly competitive and would like more swimming, the Friel might make sense. It might be better for actual fitness for all I know, but I didn't like the complexity, the extra swimming, and the minimal rest time. The Fink book is really simple, uses heart rate and time based training.

Adam
2019-09-04 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I know that you did the Condo Hustle to get your accommodations for Tremblant all set.

I'll echo Ann-Marie's comments. A lot of people have success with 80/20 and the Fink plans.  I believe that Adam and Robin are both using Fink now.  If you go the coach route, you might consider PBM coaching (www.pbmcoaching.com/coaches/).  I think that Anne and Randee have both used them.  Don't forget the BT plans either.  I think that Karen is using them at the moment.

Endurance Nation is kind of in the middle -- not a plan "just a plan" but also not a coach.  You use their plans and are more or less self coached but also have the resources of other team members and you can schedule calls with Coach Patrick (within reason).  I like the team.  I enjoy the plans.  I am not having my best/fastest season ever.  After last year (with a coach), when I hated most of my training and was nearing the end of my rope, just enjoying my hobby again is a good thing.  Coach Patrick hasn't made me cry once.  Coach Jackie had me crying weekly. (I won't be recommending her to you for MT70.3).  Anyway, EN is what BT could have been. 

Jen, do you have a bike trainer?  Do you have a power meter?  Some plans might be easier to work with than others depending on your equipment.

ETA follow up question

interesting, do you attribute that to EN , to a different mind set this season, to your body needing rest, to...?

2019-09-04 10:55 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

ETA follow up question

interesting, do you attribute that to EN , to a different mind set this season, to your body needing rest, to...?

I think it could be mind set or even age.  If I compare my times with previous years, I am slower.  If I compare my placements with previous years, I am about the same.  Who knows?  I feel like I completely blew up at Myrtle Beach but that was back spasms. I definitely think that was just a "thing."  Chattanooga went pretty well.

2019-09-04 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

ETA follow up question

I think it could be mind set or even age.  If I compare my times with previous years, I am slower.  If I compare my placements with previous years, I am about the same.  Who knows?  I feel like I completely blew up at Myrtle Beach but that was back spasms. I definitely think that was just a "thing."  Chattanooga went pretty well.

I super appreciate all of the thoughts on this! I do like the Fink plan for simplicity - i am signed up twice a week tri club swim so that takes care of itself. I guess, I do have to think about my goals. Right now they are pretty loose - i just want to be able to get through training, feeling strong and ready to race. Going to Janyne's point about it being enjoyable - if i am going to take away some family time it needs to be worth it for my mental health as well - a PR alone is not worth it. Anyway, some food for thought for me too. 

I do have a trainer but not a power meter - a smart trainer could be in my future but maybe not - i haven't been on my bike in a while so just getting in any time will be good. The good news is that we will soon have a dedicated workout room in our house :D I am so lucky! 

2019-09-04 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

In other news, both Ann-Marie and I are signed up for the Sufferfest yoga challenge that starts next week.  Is anyone else interested in joining us?

https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/the-sufferfest-blog/join-the-30-day-power-up-yoga-challenge

(You'd need a subscription to The Sufferfest and a Mac/Windows/iOS device to install the app on. $12.99/mo or $99/yr)

I would love to but they don't do android systems

2019-09-04 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

I would love to but they don't do android systems

Yeah, they are working on that. It was a hold up for me for a while too. I am using the household iPad for it now.

2019-09-04 2:43 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

ETA follow up question

I super appreciate all of the thoughts on this! I do like the Fink plan for simplicity - i am signed up twice a week tri club swim so that takes care of itself. I guess, I do have to think about my goals. Right now they are pretty loose - i just want to be able to get through training, feeling strong and ready to race. Going to Janyne's point about it being enjoyable - if i am going to take away some family time it needs to be worth it for my mental health as well - a PR alone is not worth it. Anyway, some food for thought for me too. 

I do have a trainer but not a power meter - a smart trainer could be in my future but maybe not - i haven't been on my bike in a while so just getting in any time will be good. The good news is that we will soon have a dedicated workout room in our house :D I am so lucky! 

Having a dedicated workout room is fantastic!

2019-09-05 4:46 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Glad to hear all Manatees are staying safe from Dorian.
On the subject of coaching, I used the Fink plan as well for a half, and it worked very well. For IM, I used a Training Peaks coach. It was a bit of a splurge, but it was money well spent. Having a "real" person to bounce things off, get feedback, encouragement and sometimes tough love made the training more enjoyable and held me accountable.
2019-09-05 7:33 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake Glad to hear all Manatees are staying safe from Dorian. On the subject of coaching, I used the Fink plan as well for a half, and it worked very well. For IM, I used a Training Peaks coach. It was a bit of a splurge, but it was money well spent. Having a "real" person to bounce things off, get feedback, encouragement and sometimes tough love made the training more enjoyable and held me accountable.

Anne, was she with PBM Coaching or am I remembering that wrong?  Would you recommend that coach to Jen or any of the other Manatees?

2019-09-05 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Originally posted by abake Glad to hear all Manatees are staying safe from Dorian. On the subject of coaching, I used the Fink plan as well for a half, and it worked very well. For IM, I used a Training Peaks coach. It was a bit of a splurge, but it was money well spent. Having a "real" person to bounce things off, get feedback, encouragement and sometimes tough love made the training more enjoyable and held me accountable.

Anne, was she with PBM Coaching or am I remembering that wrong?  Would you recommend that coach to Jen or any of the other Manatees?

You are correct, my coach was Carrie McCusker with PBM Coaching. I would definitely recommend her.

2019-09-05 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Relay Talk

OK, Manatees, where are we with the shirts? Are we doing them?  Did we select a design?

2019-09-05 3:42 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Relay Talk

OK, Manatees, where are we with the shirts? Are we doing them?  Did we select a design?

I don't think we got far with them, but I favor having shirts!

2019-09-06 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Relay Talk

OK, I'll make three designs and put it to a vote.

Next question, do we want everyday shirts (think cotton blend) or performance type fabric?  In other words, do we plan to run in them or use them more for the team photo?

2019-09-06 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Relay Talk

OK, I'll make three designs and put it to a vote.

Next question, do we want everyday shirts (think cotton blend) or performance type fabric?  In other words, do we plan to run in them or use them more for the team photo?

Question 1 - Performance Fabric or Cotton Blend?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107