BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-09-29 8:32 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
It was (barely) wetsuit legal when 70.3 Worlds were held there. I think the water was 76? Pros were not allowed wetsuits but AG athletes were. It was so warm even I considered just wearing a speed suit; ended up wearing my sleeveless shortie since I was sick and figured I needed all the help I could get.

Just be glad swim is not (mostly) upriver like it was that year. To date, that is my slowest HIM length swim ever. Even compared to swimming with 1 1/2 functional arms!

2019-09-30 9:15 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk in other news, have you all been following IM Maryland? OMG some of the jellyfish pics!!! I hope no one gets stung too badly. btw, that's why I don't do ocean swims

My friend was there in a support capacity (she was supposed to race but bailed a few weeks ago, wisely it seemed with the jellies and heat) and sent me pictures of the jellyfish, they looked plentiful and awful!!

2019-09-30 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by glfprncs Augusta 70.3 (and CHOO) are gonna be hot ones again! Augusta not wetsuit legal again & temps in the upper 90s. Had my last big brick yesterday for LOU (yay for no more gazillion hour bike rides on the surface of the sun!). The water in Louisville is also hot and full of that toxic algae. Nothing stressful about that, right? My AC unit died Friday. It was 89 degrees inside my house yesterday. Fortunately, got a name of an HVAC guy who is out if town, but told me where to find his hidden shop key so I could borrow a portable AC unit. Bedroom is now a freezer, but it's lovely. Heading downtown in a bit to ring my cowbell, toot my Vevusala horn & see if I can get a selfie with Lionel Sanders. ??

I heard the TN river is 82*, so i'm sure there were a lot of people freaking out that they couldn't (and shouldn't with that temp) wear a wet suit in Chattanooga! Certainly a hot swim, but at least they got to swim unlike Janyne, Lisa, and me last year!

I hope the toxic algae is gone by your race date - the Ohio river doesn't need any extra help being gross

Can't imagine not having a working a/c in this weather.

I heard that they really shut down the dam and it was 5 minutes slower than usual.

I don't know why every year people seem to think, "This is the year that Chattanooga will be wetsuit legal."

Yeah swim times don't look fast. I just keep thinking "this is the year choo weather won't be hotter than hell!"

Did you see that they put "cooling buses" on the bike course?!

2019-09-30 10:39 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Augusta 70.3 (and CHOO) are gonna be hot ones again! Augusta not wetsuit legal again & temps in the upper 90s. Had my last big brick yesterday for LOU (yay for no more gazillion hour bike rides on the surface of the sun!). The water in Louisville is also hot and full of that toxic algae. Nothing stressful about that, right? My AC unit died Friday. It was 89 degrees inside my house yesterday. Fortunately, got a name of an HVAC guy who is out if town, but told me where to find his hidden shop key so I could borrow a portable AC unit. Bedroom is now a freezer, but it's lovely. Heading downtown in a bit to ring my cowbell, toot my Vevusala horn & see if I can get a selfie with Lionel Sanders. ??

I heard the TN river is 82*, so i'm sure there were a lot of people freaking out that they couldn't (and shouldn't with that temp) wear a wet suit in Chattanooga! Certainly a hot swim, but at least they got to swim unlike Janyne, Lisa, and me last year!

I hope the toxic algae is gone by your race date - the Ohio river doesn't need any extra help being gross

I heard that they really shut down the dam and it was 5 minutes slower than usual.

I don't know why every year people seem to think, "This is the year that Chattanooga will be wetsuit legal."

Yeah swim times don't look fast. I just keep thinking "this is the year choo weather won't be hotter than hell!"

I saw talk of them pre-race, but haven't seen any FB chatter about them post.

2019-09-30 10:43 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I saw talk of them pre-race, but haven't seen any FB chatter about them post.

It's also mentioned in this article.

Athletes and Ironman officials knew Sunday would be unseasonable warm, and everyone was doing their best to keep themselves and others cool throughout the day.

"I think we're having a great day," said Keats McGonigal, senior regional director for Ironman. "Obviously, it's hot out here, but most of the athletes are heeding the warnings and taking it a little bit easier. In these conditions, it's a hard day, but most of the athletes are ready."

As soon it became clear that the that the warm weather would be a factor on race day McGonigal said his team and local volunteer organizers began working to address the conditions and keep the athletes safe.

"We put some buses out (on the bike course) with air conditioning, so that athletes could jump on them cool down and then keep going," McGonigal said. "That's not something that we usually do. We also added some misting water stations on the run course.

"We saw this coming, and we're doing our best to manage it and manage the athletes as best we can."

Despite several reports of athletes dropping out of the race because of the warm weather and seeking attention for heat stress, there was no indication of any serious medical emergencies associated with the race.

2019-09-30 11:49 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Zealios fans, it looks like there is a 40% off end of season sale going on right now. If you are having problem getting a discount code, PM me.

2019-09-30 8:45 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk in other news, have you all been following IM Maryland? OMG some of the jellyfish pics!!! I hope no one gets stung too badly. btw, that's why I don't do ocean swims

My friend was there in a support capacity (she was supposed to race but bailed a few weeks ago, wisely it seemed with the jellies and heat) and sent me pictures of the jellyfish, they looked plentiful and awful!!

I have a friend who did IM Maryland this weekend. She put a picture up of her face that has marks from one ear to the next from stings. She said she put Vaseline on her face like they suggested, but that it did her no good. She said she cried for the first half of the bike because it hurt so bad.
2019-10-01 6:16 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo

I have a friend who did IM Maryland this weekend. She put a picture up of her face that has marks from one ear to the next from stings. She said she put Vaseline on her face like they suggested, but that it did her no good. She said she cried for the first half of the bike because it hurt so bad.

Oh! How miserable!

2019-10-01 6:29 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

That does not sound like fun!

2019-10-01 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh the up side, I've read several comments about Chattanooga being a great host city and the race director doing a great job keeping the aid stations stocked and keeping athletes out of the med tents.

2019-10-01 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I ran across this offer from Zipp when I was over on Slowtwitch and I wanted to mention it here.  You can trade in any wheels in your garage for money towards Zipp wheels. I'm not going to take advantage of this offer but I can certainly see where it could come in handy if you are changing from rim brakes to disc brakes. I know that I have like four wheel sets in my garage from various bikes that have come in and out of our household. If my next road bike has disc brakes, which I am thinking that it will, that's a whole lotta wheels that are good for nothing.  The wheels are worth next to nothing on Craigslist, etc. (I've tried to sell them, honest!) and they have just become backup/trainer wheels.

Anyway, if you have extra wheels in your garage *and* you are in the market for some Zipps, here you go.

2019-10-01 9:52 PM

User image

Expert

Oh the up side, I've read several comments about Chattanooga being a great host city and the race director doing a great job keeping the aid stations stocked and keeping athletes out of the med tents.

Jellyfish freak me out more than anything else in the ocean. When I was in boot camp they let us swim in the ocean one day. A guy was stung in the eye by one and his entire face swelled up. It was one of the freakiest things I've ever seen, and I've had to view murder scenes.
2019-10-01 9:54 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Since my salt swimming is limited to the day the guy got stung in the face by a Jellyfish and a 500 yard ows in the York river (it is actually brackish) what do I need to know about ocean swimming?
2019-10-02 5:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by JBacarellaSince my salt swimming is limited to the day the guy got stung in the face by a Jellyfish and a 500 yard ows in the York river (it is actually brackish) what do I need to know about ocean swimming?
I suppose since I grew up a few miles from the ocean and spent many days playing in it, I am a much bigger fan of swimming in it than lakes and rivers! Of course,Now that I live in the center of the state my ows are more lake swims and since it is Florida that means gators and murky water. I’ll take the ocean and it’s creatures over lakes any day! I will say that for races, however, If the ocean is rough I’d rather have a lake or river .
2019-10-02 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Since my salt swimming is limited to the day the guy got stung in the face by a Jellyfish and a 500 yard ows in the York river (it is actually brackish) what do I need to know about ocean swimming?

Rinse off before the bike if you can. For many, the saltwater causes more chafing issues than fresh water.

Practice bilateral breathing.  If there are waves coming from one side, it's helpful to be able to breath from the other side.

Sighting should be the same as on Lake Huron -- you can see more from the top than the bottom ;-)

I believe that the Gulf is likely to be calm that time of year. You'll do great!

2019-10-02 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Since my salt swimming is limited to the day the guy got stung in the face by a Jellyfish and a 500 yard ows in the York river (it is actually brackish) what do I need to know about ocean swimming?

Rinse off before the bike if you can. For many, the saltwater causes more chafing issues than fresh water.

Practice bilateral breathing.  If there are waves coming from one side, it's helpful to be able to breath from the other side.

Sighting should be the same as on Lake Huron -- you can see more from the top than the bottom ;-)

I believe that the Gulf is likely to be calm that time of year. You'll do great!

ooh, i had forgotten for a minute that Jim was doing IM Florida! Yes, if they have fresh water for you to rinse off a bit in, do it. I've never had an issue with the salt, but know some are more sensitive. Another thing, salt water in the mouth makes for a great taste :0 I don't know anyway to avoid getting some in your mouth, even with a calm gulf, but just don't swallow a ton and you'll be fine! They will probably have water for you as you come out of the water, use it to rinse out your mouth.

2019-10-02 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

ooh, i had forgotten for a minute that Jim was doing IM Florida! Yes, if they have fresh water for you to rinse off a bit in, do it. I've never had an issue with the salt, but know some are more sensitive. Another thing, salt water in the mouth makes for a great taste :0 I don't know anyway to avoid getting some in your mouth, even with a calm gulf, but just don't swallow a ton and you'll be fine! They will probably have water for you as you come out of the water, use it to rinse out your mouth.

Ah! Good point! I know the first time that I did a saltwater swim, I had to eat or drink something pretty quickly to get the taste out of my mouth.  It didn't really bother me after that so YMMV.  I'd plan to swish your mouth on the way to T1.

2019-10-02 8:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Ah! Good point! I know the first time that I did a saltwater swim, I had to eat or drink something pretty quickly to get the taste out of my mouth.  It didn't really bother me after that so YMMV.  I'd plan to swish your mouth on the way to T1.

Thanks. It was super easy for me to convince Michelle (actually she convinced me) to go to Florida on Tuesday before the race. I'm hoping I can make both of their scheduled OWS practices, plus do some on my own. I hate the taste of salt water! I'm glad to hear they normally have warm water to rise with. I will have some gum in T1 bag, just in case. I never thought of salt and chafing!
We bought a used kids wet suit once from ocean people, and it turned to dust before the summer was over. I plan on washing mine in warm soapy water after the race. Is there anything else about gear care I should know?
The one familiar thing is sighting. It feels weird when I swim someplace and not only can you see the other side, but you can actually swim to it.

Edited by JBacarella 2019-10-02 8:20 AM
2019-10-02 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Thanks. It was super easy for me to convince Michelle (actually she convinced me) to go to Florida on Tuesday before the race. I'm hoping I can make both of their scheduled OWS practices, plus do some on my own. I hate the taste of salt water! I'm glad to hear they normally have warm water to rise with. I will have some gum in T1 bag, just in case. I never thought of salt and chafing! We bought a used kids wet suit once from ocean people, and it turned to dust before the summer was over. I plan on washing mine in warm soapy water after the race. Is there anything else about gear care I should know? The one familiar thing is sighting. It feels weird when I swim someplace and not only can you see the other side, but you can actually swim to it.

I'm glad to hear that Michelle is willing to take one for the team and get you to Florida early!

Most of the time when I have done a saltwater swim, there are showers between the swim exit and T1.  I don't see anything on the course maps.  I'm pretty sure that Anne has done IMFL.  I'll ping her and see if she has any intel.

2019-10-02 9:15 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hey friends! Checking in after the weekend - Augusta 70.3 was a rough one with the head index at 99 degrees when I finished. I had a great swim and bike, so there's that! My race report is up if anyone is interested 

2019-10-02 9:17 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Hey friends! Checking in after the weekend - Augusta 70.3 was a rough one with the head index at 99 degrees when I finished. I had a great swim and bike, so there's that! My race report is up if anyone is interested 

Awesome job! I know a lot of people who just melted on the run.

Would you recommend this event to out of towners?

2019-10-02 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Thanks. It was super easy for me to convince Michelle (actually she convinced me) to go to Florida on Tuesday before the race. I'm hoping I can make both of their scheduled OWS practices, plus do some on my own. I hate the taste of salt water! I'm glad to hear they normally have warm water to rise with. I will have some gum in T1 bag, just in case. I never thought of salt and chafing! We bought a used kids wet suit once from ocean people, and it turned to dust before the summer was over. I plan on washing mine in warm soapy water after the race. Is there anything else about gear care I should know? The one familiar thing is sighting. It feels weird when I swim someplace and not only can you see the other side, but you can actually swim to it.

I'm glad to hear that Michelle is willing to take one for the team and get you to Florida early!

Most of the time when I have done a saltwater swim, there are showers between the swim exit and T1.  I don't see anything on the course maps.  I'm pretty sure that Anne has done IMFL.  I'll ping her and see if she has any intel.

I volunteered at swim exit there. They have showers that you run through (or walk through) after the wetsuit stripping and on the not so sandy spot. I dont know if there was any drinking water. The swim the year Ann did it had BIG waves.
2019-10-02 9:21 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by lisac957

Awesome job! I know a lot of people who just melted on the run.

Would you recommend this event to out of towners?

way to go! It was a byach of a day, weather wise.
2019-10-02 9:22 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

I volunteered at swim exit there. They have showers that you run through (or walk through) after the wetsuit stripping and on the not so sandy spot. I dont know if there was any drinking water. The swim the year Ann did it had BIG waves.

Thanks for the shower intel.

Fingers crossed for flat water in PCB on November 2nd.  We'll be talking about you in our van!

2019-10-02 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Originally posted by ceilidh

Thanks for the shower intel.

Fingers crossed for flat water in PCB on November 2nd.  We'll be talking about you in our van!

When I did IMFL in 2015, there were showers after the ocean swim (and Robin and Laura (StartingtoTri) were volunteering as wetsuit strippers so that was awesome!). I had tossed a tiny bottle of Listerine in my T1 bag and actually remembered to rinse my mouth with it to get the salt water taste out. I read about that somewhere and it was a tip that served me well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107