United States
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 52m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my shake-off-the-cobwebs race to start the year - and a great way to get in a long run on the way to the half marathon next month. The big story leading up to the race was weather. A 7-day rain system was moving in, and it was shaping up to be very wet. Miraculously, it was just a little bit of drizzle and stayed fairly dry, albeit cold under 50 degrees, but counting my lucky stars that it wasn't the downpour all day that was predicted.

5 a.m. alarm, left the house at 5:35 to get on the first Sunday train at 6:01. Made my way to Centinneal Park and to the Atlanta Tri Club tent for a group photo. I chatted a little bit with Stephanie, a gal who did IMChatt last year, but no one else was very interested in talking to me. Did gear check and very reluctancly took off my hoodie, trying to remember that if it did pour down rain, I would really want that dry sweatshirt afterwards. Brrrrr.

I was dressed in capri leggins and a long-sleeved top. Definitely could have, and shoudl have, worn full length pants. Off to the coralls to wait - to my surprise, this was a really big race! I had no idea this many people would be here, which made it really fun.

Event warmup:

Light stretching.
Run
  • 1h 52m 2s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 12m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I couldn't wait to start running because I was so cold. I kept telling myself that my high sweat rate would warm me up soon enough, but I kind of wished I had more layers on at the beginning. The first few miles were net downhill and super fun. Lots of people and some good tunes in my ear buds. I did warm up after the first couple of miles.

The hills began and like I've done in the past, made a big effort to run at least halfway up before walking. Some of the shorter ones I ran all the way up and felt really good about that. My bluetooth ear buds died very early in mile 3 (I've already ordered some better quality ones!) so that was disappointing, but I actually enjoyed the quiet after that.

My left IT band was talking to me early and through most of the race. I thought it might turn into an issue, but it was just a bit of an annoyance and not full blown.

Aid stations were serving Nuun instead of Gatorade, so that was different. I didn't hate it like some of the alternative sports drinks out there, but I was hoping for a bit of real sugar. In the last couple of aid stations, I got my sugar! They were handing out marshmallows and candy hearts - and the marshmallows hit the spot. I gotta remember that for races - do they melt?!

When I hit the last mile, something very random popped into my head. I remembered years ago when I trained with a group for the Prairie Fire Marathon, the girls I ran with would always use the last mile as a "mile of gratitude." And we would go around the group and say what we were grateful for that week. So for this last mile, I prayed, I thanked the universe and I had my own "mile of gratitude," something that I'd forgotten about from so many years ago.

Crossed the finish line feeling really great and ready for my hot chocolate.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Bee-lined to the finishers mug area, where I got the package that the whole race sells itself on. A super cute carrying bowl that had a cup of hot chocolate, warm chocolate fondue with marshmallows, prezels, banana and a gluten free Honey Stinger waffle. I took it to the empty ATC tent and enjoyed it so much.

Then I got cold - really, really cold. Went to gear check to get my dry sweatshirt and mapped myself to the nearest MARTA station and walked about half a mile there, getting colder and colder. What I should have done was go to one of the other 2 stations that were a tiny bit further away so I wouldn't have had to transfer lines. Because I had to wait 20 minutes for the first train, go one station, then wait another 20 minutes to transfer. I was a freaking ice cube.

I finally made it home at 11:30 a.m., took a hot bath (that still didn't warm me up), cranked the furnace in my house, put on all the sweats and curled up with Ellie Mae under an electric blanket. Finally warm.

Event comments:

This is a super fun race that delivers on the hot chocolate at the finish line! Very organized and lots of people - I loved it!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2018-12-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:02 | 9.3 miles | 12m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-02-17 6:35 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Hot Chocolate 15K - Atlanta

2019-02-18 8:52 AM
in reply to: #5255572

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Hot Chocolate 15K - Atlanta

Marshmallows!  Hot chocolate!  Chocolate fondue with yummy dipping items!  Congrats on having a good race despite the weather and turning yourself into an icicle on the way home.  I love the mile of gratitude, very nice!

2019-02-18 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I’m happy you had such an enjoyable race and that the really yucky weather didn’t materialize! I need to run one of these chocolate races!!

2019-02-18 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Congratulations, I hope you are staying warm and dry.

2019-02-18 9:52 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Sounds like it was a good time!

2019-02-19 4:54 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Expert
Illinois
Solid race!!! Congratulations, and you look like you're having fun in the pictures! It also looks very, very cold!

2019-02-20 1:56 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Great job on the race - and a nice thing to remember and do at the end of the race with the gratitude! 

2019-02-22 8:25 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It sounds like a super fun race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hot Chocolate 15K - Atlanta Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hot Chocolate 15k - Denver