BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-07 11:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Bike - 45m - 9.17mi - 12.22mph

Swim - 1200yds - 2m 25s pace

It was a dreary, grey morning.  Made it hard to get motivated to go into the Y.  I sat in the truck for about 10 minutes while I finished a coffee that I didn't even like/want.  Once I finally went in, got changed, and got to the 2nd floor I had to wait almost 30 minutes to get one of the Expresso bikes.

Finally got on the bike and decided I was really going to try to hold back in that Zone 2 (111-127).  By dropping my gears down 2-3 under where I would normally be I was able to keep my cadence up around 70 (avg=68, max=83) and still keep my HR mostly in the teens (AHR=113, MHR=124).  I could probably have filled my water bottle back up by wringing out my sweatshirt and headband.  I have to say that I did find the hill climbs less tiring at the higher cadence.  Should I try to keep it around 70 in the future?  Undecided, but I think I will play around with the higher cadence/lower gears for a week or two and see how it goes.  I know that I really hate the hills on the Lumberjack course, where I have traditionally dropped my cadence down to 30 or less and had to MASH my pedals up the hill.  I have to believe it would be better to spin them faster and experience lighter effort, if possible.  BTW, actual spinning, not in my future.  I can't find shoes to fit my 13EEEE feet, unless I go custom and $650-$900 for shoes is NOT in the budget.

One good thing about the grey morning and impending snow storm, there were plenty of lanes open in the pool.  I got right in and started my swim, 4x300 w/60s rests.  I didn't think that I really wanted to do a swim today, especially after that bike.  But coming back in at 3 o'clock was really not likely to happen.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that my tired post-bike pace still averaged 2:25.

Weight: 364

Edited by leatherneckpa 2020-02-07 11:29 AM

2020-02-07 11:43 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

It was a dreary, grey morning.  Made it hard to get motivated to go into the Y.  I sat in the truck for about 10 minutes while I finished a coffee that I didn't even like/want.  Once I finally went in, got changed, and got to the 2nd floor I had to wait almost 30 minutes to get one of the Expresso bikes.

Finally got on the bike and decided I was really going to try to hold back in that Zone 2 (111-127).  By dropping my gears down 2-3 under where I would normally be I was able to keep my cadence up around 70 (avg=68, max=83) and still keep my HR mostly in the teens (AHR=113, MHR=124).  I could probably have filled my water bottle back up by wringing out my sweatshirt and headband.  I have to say that I did find the hill climbs less tiring at the higher cadence.  Should I try to keep it around 70 in the future?  Undecided, but I think I will play around with the higher cadence/lower gears for a week or two and see how it goes.  I know that I really hate the hills on the Lumberjack course, where I have traditionally dropped my cadence down to 30 or less and had to MASH my pedals up the hill.  I have to believe it would be better to spin them faster and experience lighter effort, if possible.  BTW, actual spinning, not in my future.  I can't find shoes to fit my 13EEEE feet, unless I go custom and $650-$900 for shoes is NOT in the budget.

One good thing about the grey morning and impending snow storm, there were plenty of lanes open in the pool.  I got right in and started my swim, 4x300 w/60s rests.  I didn't think that I really wanted to do a swim today, especially after that bike.  But coming back in at 3 o'clock was really not likely to happen.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that my tired post-bike pace still averaged 2:25.

Nice workouts! For much of my last few IM or HIM training plans i had a swim right after at least 2 of my run workouts. It was hard to get tot the pool, but i was always glad i did as i think the swim helped with recovery a bit. So, doing your swim after the bike may have been doubly beneficial-time saving and recovery !

2020-02-07 11:46 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Non-triathlon related post.  Today our local news station reported someone found a 15 foot dead python in the woods in York county (just SW of me).  Uh, yeah...pythons cannot survive PA winters - this isn't Florida!  Which is a good thing, FL has more than it's share of pythons these days.  As much as I feel bad for the dead snake here, I had to half chuckle thinking, "What knucklehead really thought this creature could survive outside here?!"  They would've been better off taking it to a local zoo or reptile house, at least the snake would've lived.  Imagine coming across that thing while MTB or trail running?!

People who release non-native animals into the wild should be flogged! 

2020-02-07 12:04 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by amd723

Better yet ,,,,, release THEM into the wild, like in Alaska somewhere!

2020-02-07 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by amd723     Nice workouts! For much of my last few IM or HIM training plans i had a swim right after at least 2 of my run workouts. It was hard to get tot the pool, but i was always glad i did as i think the swim helped with recovery a bit. So, doing your swim after the bike may have been doubly beneficial-time saving and recovery !

Feedback like this, from people whose race reports have me in awe fells great.  Thank you.  I usually find it easier to go to the pool afterward than I did today.  After all, it is my comfort zone.

2020-02-07 12:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

So, I have officially peeked at everyone's training logs now. All I can say is, WOW!  There are some awesome people in this group.

I think some folks may have gotten the wrong idea.  I do not possess the audacity to compare myself to any of you.  I'm way to big and way too new to real exercise for that.  My goal was to see if I was putting together a program that would actually have me ready for my Lumberjack Sprint in August.  So I was kind of looking to see if I was putting in enough time/miles/yards.   And then I started seeing all these 70.3 and IM finishers (many of you MULTIPLE times).  Sometimes it makes me feel like a poser, makes me wonder what the heck I could contribute to such a group.

Anyway, from what I am seeing, I THINK I might actually be on the right track.  I don't know how some of you manage to do all the training you are doing and still have time for a job and family.  I couldn't do it until after I retired.  I know when I was working in the prisons, and later when I was teaching, I never seemed to have the time for what I am doing now.  In fact, this weekend will be the first time that Cindy and I are going to actually spend some time on advance meal prep.  And I want to move toward menu planning too.  Having a slow-cooker going on her late night (Friday) so something is ready when we finally get to the house (around 7pm) would be nice.  Cooking up something nice on the weekend that will have leftovers during the week would help too.

2020-02-07 12:52 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

So, I have officially peeked at everyone's training logs now. All I can say is, WOW!  There are some awesome people in this group.

I think some folks may have gotten the wrong idea.  I do not possess the audacity to compare myself to any of you.  I'm way to big and way too new to real exercise for that.

This is a great group as everyone is very supportive. Like you, I'm way bigger than your "average" triathlete, and I've never done a triathlon. I am new to the sport and am looking forward to doing an aquabike this year. You have the right idea, don't compare yourself to the rest; compare yourself to where you were in the past. Are you getting fitter? Losing weight? Both of those things are my measures of success. 

My goal was to see if I was putting together a program that would actually have me ready for my Lumberjack Sprint in August.  So I was kind of looking to see if I was putting in enough time/miles/yards.   And then I started seeing all these 70.3 and IM finishers (many of you MULTIPLE times).  Sometimes it makes me feel like a poser, makes me wonder what the heck I could contribute to such a group.

Anyway, from what I am seeing, I THINK I might actually be on the right track.  I don't know how some of you manage to do all the training you are doing and still have time for a job and family.  I couldn't do it until after I retired.  I know when I was working in the prisons, and later when I was teaching, I never seemed to have the time for what I am doing now.  In fact, this weekend will be the first time that Cindy and I are going to actually spend some time on advance meal prep.  And I want to move toward menu planning too.  Having a slow-cooker going on her late night (Friday) so something is ready when we finally get to the house (around 7pm) would be nice.  Cooking up something nice on the weekend that will have leftovers during the week would help too.

Some of us are still working on the time management issues! 

Tom

2020-02-07 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Interval Timer Apps?

On 2/17 I plan to start a Walk:Jog interval program, probably starting with a 9:1 ratio.  I have enough weeks between now and August to increase my Jog intervals by only 1 minute every Base cycle.  I will supposedly be able to jog an entire 5k for the Lumberjack.

Is anybody using an app they would recommend so I don't have to watch my watch?  I use my iPhone, earbuds, and Sirius XM to avoid boredom while doing my laps and it's important that this app runs in the background, w/o interfering with the music.

2020-02-07 1:34 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66

Non-triathlon related post.  Today our local news station reported someone found a 15 foot dead python in the woods in York county (just SW of me).  Uh, yeah...pythons cannot survive PA winters - this isn't Florida!  Which is a good thing, FL has more than it's share of pythons these days.  As much as I feel bad for the dead snake here, I had to half chuckle thinking, "What knucklehead really thought this creature could survive outside here?!"  They would've been better off taking it to a local zoo or reptile house, at least the snake would've lived.  Imagine coming across that thing while MTB or trail running?!

Python removal is kind of a big deal among a certain kind of Floridian. Here's a little info from the SFWMD:

Python Elimination Program
The South Florida Water Management District Governing Board is taking aggressive action to protect the Everglades and eliminate invasive pythons from its public lands. Starting in March 2017, the Python Elimination Program incentivizes a limited number of public-spirited individuals to humanely euthanize these destructive snakes, which have become an apex predator in the Everglades. The program provides access to python removal agents on designated SFWMD lands in Miami-Dade, Broward, Collier, Hendry and Palm Beach counties.Each python removal agent was provided with procedural instruction and field identification guides. Access has been given to SFWMD lands in Miami-Dade, Broward, Collier and Palm Beach counties. Python removal agents will be paid:

• A minimum wage hourly rate up to 10 hours daily. Time spent searching for pythons on SFWMD lands must be verified by a GPS tracking app installed on each python removal agent's iOS or Android mobile device.
  • An additional incentive payment of $50 for each python measuring up to 4 feet plus an extra $25 for each foot measured above 4 feet. In the example below, an 8-foot python would pay out $150.
  • An additional $200 for each eliminated python found guarding "nests" with eggs.

So, your 15 footer would be worth $325 if found in the Everglades. 

$325, wow!!  Python-catching sounds like a decent side hustle for those so motivated (and brave!)  Didn't they just hold the python-catching version of the Super Bowl?  I seemed to recall they bagged 80 snakes in that effort.

2020-02-07 1:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

I think some folks may have gotten the wrong idea.  I do not possess the audacity to compare myself to any of you.  I'm way to big and way too new to real exercise for that.

This is a great group as everyone is very supportive. Like you, I'm way bigger than your "average" triathlete, and I've never done a triathlon. I am new to the sport and am looking forward to doing an aquabike this year. You have the right idea, don't compare yourself to the rest; compare yourself to where you were in the past. Are you getting fitter? Losing weight? Both of those things are my measures of success. 

My goal was to see if I was putting together a program that would actually have me ready for my Lumberjack Sprint in August.  So I was kind of looking to see if I was putting in enough time/miles/yards.   And then I started seeing all these 70.3 and IM finishers (many of you MULTIPLE times).  Sometimes it makes me feel like a poser, makes me wonder what the heck I could contribute to such a group.

Tom

Tom has the right idea, Mike.  You simply cannot compare yourself to others, ever.  If I did that, I'd quit.  There are so many people faster and fitter (and thinner) than I.  I race/train because 1) it's good for me mentally and physically  2) there are some lurking bad genetics I am working to keep at bay (heart disease, diabetes, high BP, cholesterol problems, etc).  I may not look the most fit but I have 'great numbers' (BP, chol, etc) and want to keep it that way.  3) I've met some great people and great friends through training, events, and this group.  I'd have never met the Manatees (and some other really awesome people) if not for triathlon.

Have I finished HIMs?  Yup.  Was it fast?  Nope.  But I crossed the finish line.  We do the best with the hand we've been dealt and try to make improvements to that hand if we can.

I like that you and Cindy are looking to do more advanced meal planning and prepping.  I can say that definitely helps me stay on track with not eating dumb (less nutritional) stuff.  

Edited by melbo55 2020-02-07 1:50 PM
2020-02-07 1:48 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by cdban66

Python removal is kind of a big deal among a certain kind of Floridian. Here's a little info from the SFWMD:

Python Elimination Program
The South Florida Water Management District Governing Board is taking aggressive action to protect the Everglades and eliminate invasive pythons from its public lands. Starting in March 2017, the Python Elimination Program incentivizes a limited number of public-spirited individuals to humanely euthanize these destructive snakes, which have become an apex predator in the Everglades. The program provides access to python removal agents on designated SFWMD lands in Miami-Dade, Broward, Collier, Hendry and Palm Beach counties.Each python removal agent was provided with procedural instruction and field identification guides. Access has been given to SFWMD lands in Miami-Dade, Broward, Collier and Palm Beach counties. Python removal agents will be paid:

• A minimum wage hourly rate up to 10 hours daily. Time spent searching for pythons on SFWMD lands must be verified by a GPS tracking app installed on each python removal agent's iOS or Android mobile device.
  • An additional incentive payment of $50 for each python measuring up to 4 feet plus an extra $25 for each foot measured above 4 feet. In the example below, an 8-foot python would pay out $150.
  • An additional $200 for each eliminated python found guarding "nests" with eggs.

So, your 15 footer would be worth $325 if found in the Everglades. 

i am awfully glad that when I was a kid running around like a wild thing through the swamps and wetlands of Florida, the pythons were not a problem..i would poop a brick if i saw an 8 foot or greater snake. (Except indego snakes, those i jnew and loved).

2020-02-07 1:50 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Yes to this.
2020-02-07 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I don't have any advice about cadence but wanted to say way to gut it out and make yourself do the work --- I remember more than once driving to the pool in nasty weather and finding an excuse to just turn around and go home because it was just too crappy of a day to walk across the parking lot.
2020-02-07 1:52 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Living in the land of hills, i have found that spinning up hills is the way to go. Though, do as i say, not as i do..i always end up mashing in a higher gear, even when I start lower. Practice!
2020-02-07 3:12 PM

Better yet ,,,,, release THEM into the wild, like in Alaska somewhere!

Easy now, we don't want y'alls undesirables up here either!!!
2020-02-07 4:16 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 8-9
Ann-Marie - Cherrylake Farms 10k
Curtis - Dallas Hot Chocolate 15k (pacer)
Nancy - Dr. Seuss on the Loose 5K @ Ft. Gordon on Saturday

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

2020-02-07 4:36 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Sadly, I won't be racing my 5k.

Alert!! Anyone sensitive to women's specific anatomy & health, scroll on!

I had my annual gyn appt on Thursday & was reminded that my IUD had been in for 5 years & needed removed and replaced. My uterus was pretty ticked off at the experience and the thought of running (Let alone running a hard 5k aiming for a PR) and jostling my very sensitive uterus in the morning sounds like no fun.

I'll be swimming instead, and my uterus will be much happier.
2020-02-07 4:47 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

February 8-9

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Looks like Curtis is the only one racing since i am bailing on my race do to my sister and BIL visiting. So, gooo Curtis!

2020-02-07 5:37 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Sadly, I won't be racing my 5k. Alert!! Anyone sensitive to women's specific anatomy & health, scroll on! I had my annual gyn appt on Thursday & was reminded that my IUD had been in for 5 years & needed removed and replaced. My uterus was pretty ticked off at the experience and the thought of running (Let alone running a hard 5k aiming for a PR) and jostling my very sensitive uterus in the morning sounds like no fun. I'll be swimming instead, and my uterus will be much happier.

Nancy, I'm sorry to hear about the discomfort but glad that it's been taken care of.  

2020-02-07 5:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 8-9

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Looks like Curtis is the only one racing since i am bailing on my race do to my sister and BIL visiting. So, gooo Curtis!

Have a great weekend!

2020-02-07 8:31 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Tom

Tom and Mike, I don't have much to add to this except that this is where I wish BT had a thumbs up or like button. I just want you both to know that you are on the tight path. As we often say in our family, life is not a sprint, it is a marathon. The changes you are making are going to take your lives to a better place, but you have to play the long game with this. Push yourself on occasion, back off on occasion, but smile through all those occasions, because you have to enjoy it to do it. And it looks to me like you are enjoying it!

2020-02-08 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

The East half of the gym had two dozen pre-teens that were playing while parents were working out.  Screaming, running wildly about, kicking balls with absolutely no aiming at all, and dragging each other around on floor scooters.  The West half of the gym had teenagers playing two half-court basketball games, and not caring about anything/anyone but their games.  Was actually yelled at to "stay the hell out of the way" by one rude little bugger.  Three laps was all I could handle of this environment, was literally dodging stuff more than I was walking.  Tried to go upstairs but every single Dreadmill was in use.

Settled for 15 minutes in the sauna and called it a day.  Thankfully Saturdays are "bonus workouts" in my schedule so I didn't really miss anything.

2020-02-08 1:02 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

The East half of the gym had two dozen pre-teens that were playing while parents were working out.  Screaming, running wildly about, kicking balls with absolutely no aiming at all, and dragging each other around on floor scooters.  The West half of the gym had teenagers playing two half-court basketball games, and not caring about anything/anyone but their games.  Was actually yelled at to "stay the hell out of the way" by one rude little bugger.  Three laps was all I could handle of this environment, was literally dodging stuff more than I was walking.  Tried to go upstairs but every single Dreadmill was in use.

Settled for 15 minutes in the sauna and called it a day.  Thankfully Saturdays are "bonus workouts" in my schedule so I didn't really miss anything.

i avoid any public gym/poolmon the weekends to avoid vermin. Yes, I said it: vermin!
2020-02-08 2:44 PM

Totally random and off topic. My wife informed me last night our dryer quit working. We've had a number of things break in this house since moving in (just bought it last April). Figured we'd just go buy a new dryer today and not mess with this one. Well I am one to tinker with everything, so I spent last night figuring out how dryers work, and more importantly, how they break. I figured out all the most likely culprits, and in about an hour I had the entire dryer taken apart because the switches and fuses I needed to check were all inside under the drum. I checked everything I could with electrical meter and everything checked out fine. Found a website that said I should also check the timer, so I went through that and determined it was "bad." I took it apart to try to clean it up and make it work, and it looked completely fine inside, but still was not giving me the readings that said it was ok. I was baffled. Then as I tried to turn the knob once again, I realized the timer wasn't turning. Turns out the damn knob was cracked on the back, and not turning the dryer on. $5 part and would have taken about 30 seconds to change out. Instead, I'll be putting my dryer back together today.

Sometimes in life we spend a lot of time chasing solutions, but overlook the most basic and easiest solution of all.
2020-02-08 8:29 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Cypress, Texas

This is my first week back in the water since Lake Logan last August

Since that time, I acquired a Garmin 945. I have to say, that it's a little strange to get heart rate data from my swims!

RIP Garmin Swim watch.

Last week was my first time back in the Water since August too.  I got a FitBit for Christmas that is swim approved. I put it in swim mode to test it out.  I didn't get my heart rate.  I didn't expect much from the FitBit so I wasn't too surprised or disappointed. I was surprised to see that it counted my laps for me though. I have been counting laps  manually for 5 years.  It was nice to see that the fit bit came up with the 70 laps because that I was I had.  I set the lap distance to odd distance length of the pool I swim in so next time in the water it will get my distance correct too. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127