BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-08 9:20 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

February 8-9
Ann-Marie - Cherrylake Farms 10k
Curtis - Dallas Hot Chocolate 15k (pacer)
Nancy - Dr. Seuss on the Loose 5K @ Ft. Gordon on Saturday

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

This was a different experience.  I though there would be a big group that would form and run in a pack like marathon training groups or cross country team works outs.  Instead there were two guys that lines up with me in the coral at the start.  They were it for the first 2 miles then when we hit the first hill at mile 3 and I slowed down to maintain an even effort they plowed ahead and I never saw them again.  There wee two or three other people that ran a mile or two with me along the way but everyone was running their own race.  One lady that ran with me was running really  steady.  She didn't need a pacer but just happened to be going at the same pace as me.  When we got to the second hill at mile 6 she also got ahead of me but I didn't slow down and much on that hill and tried to stay will the speed of everyone around me feeling that pushing a little harder up the hill and relaxing a little more going down the hills was more natural  for people and so keeping with the flow would probably be better that strictly sticking with my race plan.  Coming down the hill I didn't was about 40 feet behind that lady so I paced off her for a few miles. I got 10-15 seconds behind so I caught back up with her and she was surprised to see be and about jumped out her skin thinking that she fades and was falling behind her pace.  There was an older gray haired guy that was keeping up with me when I was falling 10-15 seconds behind pace.  He told me that his goal was to stick right with me and finish not a second ahead or a second behind the 8:00 minute pace.  Well...when I started to make up for the 15 seconds I was behind I lost him.  He was 3 minutes behind me at the finish and felt bad because he was possibly the one person I really could have help on the run today but because my assignment was to stay on pace and not to be a domestic for individuals I could hold back to work with him.  So...I felt like I just ran a race by myself, but I did what I was supposed to do and got a free race entry and and tee shirt.  :-)

2020-02-08 9:39 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My first time in the water for exactly two months! Two weeks out due to cold/sinus infection in December and then restricted since surgery at end of year to get the metalwork out of my elbow. (Yes, of course, I got clearance to swim yesterday so I was in the water today. Would have gone yesterday but needed to finish up some things at work.)

Not very fit, obviously, but happy to report that I swam 1800 yards and NOTHING HURT! My stroke felt pretty normal (was also able to do breast and back normally and made a pain-free but very awkward attempt at fly with fins) and I was able to breathe to both sides. (I have been breathing almost entirely to my left, which is normally not my dominant side, for the past year, except for some limited bilateral breathing with the fins.) I have a long way to go with gaining back strength and fitness, but it was a great relief. The swim probably isn't my strongest event (often my swim and run are the same place in my AG, but I think that's because fewer people in my AG are strong swimmers; at least in the US, most come from a run or bike background), but it's always been my favorite part of most races, especially iron distance. It's also a sanity thing for me--after a day of little people always needing my attention, it's a relief to put my head in the water and enjoy the quiet!

As for time management, yes, it is a struggle. I find that for me the early morning before work is the best time to get it done, at least for bike and run. I have things set up so I can do those at home, and just get up early, usually 4:30-5 AM. I call it the early shift! It just takes discipline, commitment, getting into a routine, and going to bed early enough. It is hard at first, especially for a former night owl like me, but after a few weeks, I'm so tired I'm ready to check out by 8:30! Afternoons/ evenings are much more unpredictable, and it's hard to do a quality run or ride when my job has me on my feet almost all day. I only swim after work as that's when I have pool access--the closest pool opens too late to make it a viable before-work option when I factor in time needed to shower, drive to gym and work, eat breakfast, etc.
2020-02-09 7:32 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerMy first time in the water for exactly two months! Two weeks out due to cold/sinus infection in December and then restricted since surgery at end of year to get the metalwork out of my elbow. (Yes, of course, I got clearance to swim yesterday so I was in the water today. Would have gone yesterday but needed to finish up some things at work.) Not very fit, obviously, but happy to report that I swam 1800 yards and NOTHING HURT! My stroke felt pretty normal (was also able to do breast and back normally and made a pain-free but very awkward attempt at fly with fins) and I was able to breathe to both sides. (I have been breathing almost entirely to my left, which is normally not my dominant side, for the past year, except for some limited bilateral breathing with the fins.) I have a long way to go with gaining back strength and fitness, but it was a great relief. The swim probably isn't my strongest event (often my swim and run are the same place in my AG, but I think that's because fewer people in my AG are strong swimmers; at least in the US, most come from a run or bike background), but it's always been my favorite part of most races, especially iron distance. It's also a sanity thing for me--after a day of little people always needing my attention, it's a relief to put my head in the water and enjoy the quiet!As for time management, yes, it is a struggle. I find that for me the early morning before work is the best time to get it done, at least for bike and run. I have things set up so I can do those at home, and just get up early, usually 4:30-5 AM. I call it the early shift! It just takes discipline, commitment, getting into a routine, and going to bed early enough. It is hard at first, especially for a former night owl like me, but after a few weeks, I'm so tired I'm ready to check out by 8:30! Afternoons/ evenings are much more unpredictable, and it's hard to do a quality run or ride when my job has me on my feet almost all day. I only swim after work as that's when I have pool access--the closest pool opens too late to make it a viable before-work option when I factor in time needed to shower, drive to gym and work, eat breakfast, etc.
this is wonderful that you are back in the water and nothing hurt!
2020-02-09 8:11 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Hot RunnerMy first time in the water for exactly two months! Two weeks out due to cold/sinus infection in December and then restricted since surgery at end of year to get the metalwork out of my elbow. (Yes, of course, I got clearance to swim yesterday so I was in the water today. Would have gone yesterday but needed to finish up some things at work.) Not very fit, obviously, but happy to report that I swam 1800 yards and NOTHING HURT! My stroke felt pretty normal (was also able to do breast and back normally and made a pain-free but very awkward attempt at fly with fins) and I was able to breathe to both sides. (I have been breathing almost entirely to my left, which is normally not my dominant side, for the past year, except for some limited bilateral breathing with the fins.) I have a long way to go with gaining back strength and fitness, but it was a great relief. The swim probably isn't my strongest event (often my swim and run are the same place in my AG, but I think that's because fewer people in my AG are strong swimmers; at least in the US, most come from a run or bike background), but it's always been my favorite part of most races, especially iron distance. It's also a sanity thing for me--after a day of little people always needing my attention, it's a relief to put my head in the water and enjoy the quiet!As for time management, yes, it is a struggle. I find that for me the early morning before work is the best time to get it done, at least for bike and run. I have things set up so I can do those at home, and just get up early, usually 4:30-5 AM. I call it the early shift! It just takes discipline, commitment, getting into a routine, and going to bed early enough. It is hard at first, especially for a former night owl like me, but after a few weeks, I'm so tired I'm ready to check out by 8:30! Afternoons/ evenings are much more unpredictable, and it's hard to do a quality run or ride when my job has me on my feet almost all day. I only swim after work as that's when I have pool access--the closest pool opens too late to make it a viable before-work option when I factor in time needed to shower, drive to gym and work, eat breakfast, etc.
this is wonderful that you are back in the water and nothing hurt!

Ditto that!! You've had quite the year. It's got to feel good to do something that you enjoy that you weren't able to for quite some time.
2020-02-09 12:15 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

The East half of the gym had two dozen pre-teens that were playing while parents were working out.  Screaming, running wildly about, kicking balls with absolutely no aiming at all, and dragging each other around on floor scooters.  The West half of the gym had teenagers playing two half-court basketball games, and not caring about anything/anyone but their games.  Was actually yelled at to "stay the hell out of the way" by one rude little bugger.  Three laps was all I could handle of this environment, was literally dodging stuff more than I was walking.  Tried to go upstairs but every single Dreadmill was in use.

Settled for 15 minutes in the sauna and called it a day.  Thankfully Saturdays are "bonus workouts" in my schedule so I didn't really miss anything.

You get an A for effort.

The people supervising the gym get a lesser grade.

2020-02-09 3:34 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Racing Manatees!!!

February 8-9

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

This was a different experience.  I though there would be a big group that would form and run in a pack like marathon training groups or cross country team works outs.  Instead there were two guys that lines up with me in the coral at the start.  They were it for the first 2 miles then when we hit the first hill at mile 3 and I slowed down to maintain an even effort they plowed ahead and I never saw them again.  There wee two or three other people that ran a mile or two with me along the way but everyone was running their own race.  One lady that ran with me was running really  steady.  She didn't need a pacer but just happened to be going at the same pace as me.  When we got to the second hill at mile 6 she also got ahead of me but I didn't slow down and much on that hill and tried to stay will the speed of everyone around me feeling that pushing a little harder up the hill and relaxing a little more going down the hills was more natural  for people and so keeping with the flow would probably be better that strictly sticking with my race plan.  Coming down the hill I didn't was about 40 feet behind that lady so I paced off her for a few miles. I got 10-15 seconds behind so I caught back up with her and she was surprised to see be and about jumped out her skin thinking that she fades and was falling behind her pace.  There was an older gray haired guy that was keeping up with me when I was falling 10-15 seconds behind pace.  He told me that his goal was to stick right with me and finish not a second ahead or a second behind the 8:00 minute pace.  Well...when I started to make up for the 15 seconds I was behind I lost him.  He was 3 minutes behind me at the finish and felt bad because he was possibly the one person I really could have help on the run today but because my assignment was to stay on pace and not to be a domestic for individuals I could hold back to work with him.  So...I felt like I just ran a race by myself, but I did what I was supposed to do and got a free race entry and and tee shirt.  :-)

I never thought about the race from the point of view of pacer..hey, the grey haired guy did just fine. For comparison, I would have to be on a bicycle to keep an 8 minute pace.

2020-02-10 4:46 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by ceilidh

The East half of the gym had two dozen pre-teens that were playing while parents were working out.  Screaming, running wildly about, kicking balls with absolutely no aiming at all, and dragging each other around on floor scooters.  The West half of the gym had teenagers playing two half-court basketball games, and not caring about anything/anyone but their games.  Was actually yelled at to "stay the hell out of the way" by one rude little bugger.  Three laps was all I could handle of this environment, was literally dodging stuff more than I was walking.  Tried to go upstairs but every single Dreadmill was in use.

Settled for 15 minutes in the sauna and called it a day.  Thankfully Saturdays are "bonus workouts" in my schedule so I didn't really miss anything.

i avoid any public gym/poolmon the weekends to avoid vermin. Yes, I said it: vermin!

Oh that's nonsense, sounds like the LA Fitness pool where I used to swim.
2020-02-10 4:48 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by alaskatri

Totally random and off topic. My wife informed me last night our dryer quit working. We've had a number of things break in this house since moving in (just bought it last April). Figured we'd just go buy a new dryer today and not mess with this one. Well I am one to tinker with everything, so I spent last night figuring out how dryers work, and more importantly, how they break. I figured out all the most likely culprits, and in about an hour I had the entire dryer taken apart because the switches and fuses I needed to check were all inside under the drum. I checked everything I could with electrical meter and everything checked out fine. Found a website that said I should also check the timer, so I went through that and determined it was "bad." I took it apart to try to clean it up and make it work, and it looked completely fine inside, but still was not giving me the readings that said it was ok. I was baffled. Then as I tried to turn the knob once again, I realized the timer wasn't turning. Turns out the damn knob was cracked on the back, and not turning the dryer on. $5 part and would have taken about 30 seconds to change out. Instead, I'll be putting my dryer back together today.

Sometimes in life we spend a lot of time chasing solutions, but overlook the most basic and easiest solution of all.

That's fantastic!!
2020-02-10 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 8-9

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Nice job! You held your pace and finished when you were supposed to and got a free entry to boot. 

2020-02-10 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner My first time in the water for exactly two months! Two weeks out due to cold/sinus infection in December and then restricted since surgery at end of year to get the metalwork out of my elbow. (Yes, of course, I got clearance to swim yesterday so I was in the water today. Would have gone yesterday but needed to finish up some things at work.)

Not very fit, obviously, but happy to report that I swam 1800 yards and NOTHING HURT! My stroke felt pretty normal (was also able to do breast and back normally and made a pain-free but very awkward attempt at fly with fins) and I was able to breathe to both sides. (I have been breathing almost entirely to my left, which is normally not my dominant side, for the past year, except for some limited bilateral breathing with the fins.) I have a long way to go with gaining back strength and fitness, but it was a great relief. The swim probably isn't my strongest event (often my swim and run are the same place in my AG, but I think that's because fewer people in my AG are strong swimmers; at least in the US, most come from a run or bike background), but it's always been my favorite part of most races, especially iron distance. It's also a sanity thing for me--after a day of little people always needing my attention, it's a relief to put my head in the water and enjoy the quiet!

As for time management, yes, it is a struggle. I find that for me the early morning before work is the best time to get it done, at least for bike and run. I have things set up so I can do those at home, and just get up early, usually 4:30-5 AM. I call it the early shift! It just takes discipline, commitment, getting into a routine, and going to bed early enough. It is hard at first, especially for a former night owl like me, but after a few weeks, I'm so tired I'm ready to check out by 8:30! Afternoons/ evenings are much more unpredictable, and it's hard to do a quality run or ride when my job has me on my feet almost all day. I only swim after work as that's when I have pool access--the closest pool opens too late to make it a viable before-work option when I factor in time needed to shower, drive to gym and work, eat breakfast, etc.

I'm so glad that you were able to get back in the pool and that the hardware removal in December has at least lead to pain free swimming in February.  Onward!

2020-02-10 7:30 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

A few pages ago Janyne asked questions about how gravel rides compare with road rides in terms of speed etc. I had and have no insight into that, but this podcast by Hunter Allen looks to answer that and other questions. It popped up in my email this morning. I haven't listened to it (yet) but the purported topics include how power is different b/w gravel and road, how does cadence compare, how should roadies travel from gravel etc.  Seems like an interesting podcast, especially for those of us thinking about making a move to gravel.

OK, I listened to this podcast yesterday and I need some clarification.  Do we need to test for a Gravel FTP?  I know some people who have an indoor FTP and and outdoor one or a tri bike one and a road bike one.  In mean, your TSS would be off if you used your road FTP, right?  And did Hunter Allen sort of suggest finding a 20 minute gravel hill and going all out on it to do this test?

2020-02-10 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

A few pages ago Janyne asked questions about how gravel rides compare with road rides in terms of speed etc. I had and have no insight into that, but this podcast by Hunter Allen looks to answer that and other questions. It popped up in my email this morning. I haven't listened to it (yet) but the purported topics include how power is different b/w gravel and road, how does cadence compare, how should roadies travel from gravel etc.  Seems like an interesting podcast, especially for those of us thinking about making a move to gravel.

OK, I listened to this podcast yesterday and I need some clarification.  Do we need to test for a Gravel FTP?  I know some people who have an indoor FTP and and outdoor one or a tri bike one and a road bike one.  In mean, your TSS would be off if you used your road FTP, right?  And did Hunter Allen sort of suggest finding a 20 minute gravel hill and going all out on it to do this test?

All good questions to which I have no answers since I haven't listened to the podcast yet!

2020-02-10 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Those are good questions --- I had time to listen to about half the podcast but what I came away with was that power numbers for gravel are going to be lower than road cycling, which correlates with my experience. Again, because of the variability in the gravel courses, I'm not sure it's really an apples to apples comparison.
2020-02-10 8:53 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

All good questions to which I have no answers since I haven't listened to the podcast yet!

I'll be interested what you have to say about it after listening to the interview.

FasCat Coaching seems to have a somewhat different take:

Ideally you want your FTP test to be as smooth as possible to get your most accurate threshold power. For the 20 minute test you need to use actual power average.

Sometime when riding is rougher and more inconsistent such a mountain biking it is important to also gage effort by looking at your heart rate. This is good for when power jumps around more whirl your heart rate stays more consistent and indicates the effort a bit better.

For efforts 60 minutes long you can use your normalized power for your FTP. So say you do a long gravel group ride, race or simulation ride and you come out with a higher norm power. At this point you could probably use this as your FTP.

Then again, I'm not sure that Training Peaks will let you have multiple power zone settings 

2020-02-10 9:06 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

Those are good questions --- I had time to listen to about half the podcast but what I came away with was that power numbers for gravel are going to be lower than road cycling, which correlates with my experience. Again, because of the variability in the gravel courses, I'm not sure it's really an apples to apples comparison.

Yeah, he mentioned the testing stuff during the camp discussion. I think that with the numbers being different (road vs gravel), he was trying to say "don't cry when you see your numbers don't match."

2020-02-10 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy JoGo Update Day!

2020-02-10 9:44 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Pennsylvania

Ugh. Nothing more, just ugh.

2020-02-10 9:46 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by alaskatri Totally random and off topic. My wife informed me last night our dryer quit working. We've had a number of things break in this house since moving in (just bought it last April). Figured we'd just go buy a new dryer today and not mess with this one. Well I am one to tinker with everything, so I spent last night figuring out how dryers work, and more importantly, how they break. I figured out all the most likely culprits, and in about an hour I had the entire dryer taken apart because the switches and fuses I needed to check were all inside under the drum. I checked everything I could with electrical meter and everything checked out fine. Found a website that said I should also check the timer, so I went through that and determined it was "bad." I took it apart to try to clean it up and make it work, and it looked completely fine inside, but still was not giving me the readings that said it was ok. I was baffled. Then as I tried to turn the knob once again, I realized the timer wasn't turning. Turns out the damn knob was cracked on the back, and not turning the dryer on. $5 part and would have taken about 30 seconds to change out. Instead, I'll be putting my dryer back together today. Sometimes in life we spend a lot of time chasing solutions, but overlook the most basic and easiest solution of all.

But now you are an expert on dryer parts?   Trying to find a silver lining for you.    Kudos to you for undertaking the task yourself!

2020-02-10 9:50 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

February 8-9

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Great job!  Pacing sounds stressful and ditto to what Robin said - a bicycle would be needed to keep that pace!

2020-02-10 9:51 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner My first time in the water for exactly two months! Two weeks out due to cold/sinus infection in December and then restricted since surgery at end of year to get the metalwork out of my elbow. (Yes, of course, I got clearance to swim yesterday so I was in the water today. Would have gone yesterday but needed to finish up some things at work.) Not very fit, obviously, but happy to report that I swam 1800 yards and NOTHING HURT! My stroke felt pretty normal (was also able to do breast and back normally and made a pain-free but very awkward attempt at fly with fins) and I was able to breathe to both sides. (I have been breathing almost entirely to my left, which is normally not my dominant side, for the past year, except for some limited bilateral breathing with the fins.) I have a long way to go with gaining back strength and fitness, but it was a great relief. The swim probably isn't my strongest event (often my swim and run are the same place in my AG, but I think that's because fewer people in my AG are strong swimmers; at least in the US, most come from a run or bike background), but it's always been my favorite part of most races, especially iron distance. It's also a sanity thing for me--after a day of little people always needing my attention, it's a relief to put my head in the water and enjoy the quiet! As for time management, yes, it is a struggle. I find that for me the early morning before work is the best time to get it done, at least for bike and run. I have things set up so I can do those at home, and just get up early, usually 4:30-5 AM. I call it the early shift! It just takes discipline, commitment, getting into a routine, and going to bed early enough. It is hard at first, especially for a former night owl like me, but after a few weeks, I'm so tired I'm ready to check out by 8:30! Afternoons/ evenings are much more unpredictable, and it's hard to do a quality run or ride when my job has me on my feet almost all day. I only swim after work as that's when I have pool access--the closest pool opens too late to make it a viable before-work option when I factor in time needed to shower, drive to gym and work, eat breakfast, etc.

Hip-hip-hooray!!  Wow, 1800 yards for the first time back is great!  So glad you were able to do what you set out to do without pain and without any major changes to your stroke.

2020-02-10 10:32 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Jason, sympathies and respect brother.  I've fought with more washers and dryers than I care to remember.  I've usually won, but it is NOT something I enjoy.  In fact, last time I didn't even bother, just talked DW into buying a  new dryer.

Karen, welcome back to the water!  Nice first return!

Curtis, I can't imagine pacing an 8 min mile.  To be honest, I hadn't even heard of pacers before this year.  My idea of pacing is to encourage the last person back to not let me pass them!

2020-02-10 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Walk - 45m - 2.53 miles - 17m 47s /Mi
Well, I finished. That's about all that can be said for it. Wasn't really feeling all that motivated, definitely wasn't burning up the track. Even the music couldn't keep me from checking my timer and wishing it was over already.  Found out today that the city actually plows the River Walk clean all winter.  Might have to think about going there when I start my Walk/Jog interval training.

Swim - 34m 30s - 1500.00 yards - 02m 17s /100 yards
Now, the swim was a whole different story. Wasn't really expecting much, considering how the walk felt. My goal today was to really concentrate on a good extension, catch, pull, push, and roll for breath. Was pleasantly surprised when I finished and finally checked splits. Could see right away that I was coming in under 2:20. Sitting here now and doing the math it turns out I was actually averaging 2:17. That's nice for a session where I wasn't paying any attention to the times.
  • Weight: 365 (up 1lb, as usual on Monday)
2020-02-10 12:51 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Ok fellow Manatees, I've got a question for you! 

For those of you who bike on a trainer, is there any way to track the time and "distance"? I know the smartphone apps use GPS (Strava, etc.) Is there where I should invest in a rear wheel sensor bike computer? 

2020-02-10 4:42 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

For those of you who bike on a trainer, is there any way to track the time and "distance"? I know the smartphone apps use GPS (Strava, etc.) Is there where I should invest in a rear wheel sensor bike computer? 

I use a Garmin speed and cadence sensor to track on the trainer. They are about $60 on Amazon. Easy to use.
2020-02-10 5:49 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by UberClydesdale

I have a cateye sped cadence sensor. I gor it for about 30 bucks on line.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127