BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-20 9:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by amd723

I picked up my gravel bike yesterday -yay me! But now i need to put a couple of water bottle cages and bento box on it. So, question for the pod (especially the gravel riding group) do you have a favorite doesn't launch the bottle cage? Bonus points if it doesn't cost a lot! What about bento box, what do you use? TIA.

Yeah for new bike!!!! Now you can have fun equipping it!
For bottle cages, I really like the type where you can grab the bottle from the side, it's much safer than trying to slide it down from the top. Specialized makes a good one and I have never lost a bottle.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/zee-cage-ii--right/p/172378?color=...

I also have bottle cages on my fork mounts so that I can carry 4 bottles of water/sports drink, so that I don't need to wear a camelback (not using them in the pic below).

Also, to carry tools, I have a rear-mounted bottle cage and use the little kegs. They stay put and are actually hard to pull free. One keg holds a multi-tool, tire levers, misc. tools, CO2. The other keg holds a spare tube. I run tubeless but it's good to carry all that stuff "just in case".

For the bento box, I like the "Lunch box" made by Planet Bike. It will hold a lot of stuff and is easy to open and close while riding.
https://www.planetbike.com/store/lunch-box-bike-bag.html

Attaching a pic of my setup...

Edited by abake 2020-02-20 9:04 AM

(Landrun100_2019_781.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Landrun100_2019_781.jpg (1723KB - 9 downloads)

2020-02-20 9:07 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

I picked up my gravel bike yesterday -yay me! But now i need to put a couple of water bottle cages and bento box on it. So, question for the pod (especially the gravel riding group) do you have a favorite doesn't launch the bottle cage? Bonus points if it doesn't cost a lot! What about bento box, what do you use? TIA.

You could also use your hydration vest. Just saying.

I could and i may short term, but i really dislike wearing them as it is soooo humid here that anything extra on my body makes things even yuckier!

You may also dislike drinking gritty water ;-) I know when I ride in Umstead, water bottles end up covered in grit, including the parts that you drink from. That being said, water bottles would certainly be easier to refill at aid stations. I'll shut up now and await response from our gravel and mtb contingent.

2020-02-20 9:11 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Walk - 30m - 1.50 miles - 20m /Mi
Apparently I should not have done a walking workout this morning. I built, busted, and drained ANOTHER blister directly inside the one from Monday. This one was smaller, only the size of a quarter. Fortunately this is my last walking workout until Tuesday. 5 days ought to be enough time to wait, right?

And I found a use for a treadmill. By setting the speed on 3mph I was able to maintain a steady, easy pace for this recovery workout. I know I can't force myself to walk that pace doing laps in the gym.  I slip into the "gotta go faster" mindset.

• Weight: 363
2020-02-20 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I could and i may short term, but i really dislike wearing them as it is soooo humid here that anything extra on my body makes things even yuckier!

You may also dislike drinking gritty water ;-) I know when I ride in Umstead, water bottles end up covered in grit, including the parts that you drink from. That being said, water bottles would certainly be easier to refill at aid stations. I'll shut up now and await response from our gravel and mtb contingent.

That's a good point about drinking gritty water. Camelbak came out with a line of water bottles recently that have a little cap that you can cover the spout with --- I have a couple of these but haven't really tested them out much.
https://www.camelbak.com/en/bottles/R02048--Podium_Dirt_21_2019?colo...
2020-02-20 9:29 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Walk - 30m - 1.50 miles - 20m /Mi
Apparently I should not have done a walking workout this morning. I built, busted, and drained ANOTHER blister directly inside the one from Monday. This one was smaller, only the size of a quarter. Fortunately this is my last walking workout until Tuesday. 5 days ought to be enough time to wait, right?

And I found a use for a treadmill. By setting the speed on 3mph I was able to maintain a steady, easy pace for this recovery workout. I know I can't force myself to walk that pace doing laps in the gym.  I slip into the "gotta go faster" mindset.

• Weight: 363

Ouch on the blisters, especially blister-upon-blister
2020-02-20 9:37 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake

Yeah for new bike!!!! Now you can have fun equipping it! For bottle cages, I really like the type where you can grab the bottle from the side, it's much safer than trying to slide it down from the top. Specialized makes a good one and I have never lost a bottle. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/zee-cage-ii--right/p/172378?color=... I also have bottle cages on my fork mounts so that I can carry 4 bottles of water/sports drink, so that I don't need to wear a camelback (not using them in the pic below). Also, to carry tools, I have a rear-mounted bottle cage and use the little kegs. They stay put and are actually hard to pull free. One keg holds a multi-tool, tire levers, misc. tools, CO2. The other keg holds a spare tube. I run tubeless but it's good to carry all that stuff "just in case". For the bento box, I like the "Lunch box" made by Planet Bike. It will hold a lot of stuff and is easy to open and close while riding. https://www.planetbike.com/store/lunch-box-bike-bag.htmlAttaching a pic of my setup...

Thanks for all the info! So, just how do you carry that couch?

2020-02-20 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Doh, i hadn't considered that point! 

2020-02-20 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Yeah for new bike!!!! Now you can have fun equipping it! For bottle cages, I really like the type where you can grab the bottle from the side, it's much safer than trying to slide it down from the top. Specialized makes a good one and I have never lost a bottle. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/zee-cage-ii--right/p/172378?color=... I also have bottle cages on my fork mounts so that I can carry 4 bottles of water/sports drink, so that I don't need to wear a camelback (not using them in the pic below). Also, to carry tools, I have a rear-mounted bottle cage and use the little kegs. They stay put and are actually hard to pull free. One keg holds a multi-tool, tire levers, misc. tools, CO2. The other keg holds a spare tube. I run tubeless but it's good to carry all that stuff "just in case". For the bento box, I like the "Lunch box" made by Planet Bike. It will hold a lot of stuff and is easy to open and close while riding. https://www.planetbike.com/store/lunch-box-bike-bag.htmlAttaching a pic of my setup...

LOL it would take a pretty substantial bento box to haul that around!
2020-02-20 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

LOL it would take a pretty substantial bento box to haul that around!

I thought that was what Steve was for!

2020-02-20 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

thought that was what Steve was for!

LOL he would get the supportive spouse award for sure!
2020-02-20 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

That couch pic is an example of well earned bragging rights!!! #chasethechaise Well done Anne, that is one of the cooler items I have seen. I am trying to replicate that with something else at Piggy's at our world renowned, unofficial SAG and party stop. We have upped our game the past two years with a live band in the woods one year and the addition of a variety of adult beverages. We only pulled off the band for one year, as the land manager claims to have received complaints (from who, the pigs?) and put the end to that Tomfoolery.

Rumor has it that a certain chaise is being retired????

Edited by cdban66 2020-02-20 12:55 PM

2020-02-20 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I've done both vest and bottles at different times. Bottles are fine if you have mastered the "Squeeze and squirt" method. I haven't. My current setup is minimal, so a single old school aluminum cage works fine for me. I have a medium Topeak bag that I switch between the road and gravel bikes at the moment, with tubes, CO2, ID, boot, cash, and tire levers. My preferred setup would be a seat bag as above along with four bottles as Anne mentioned. I do have a fanny pack that has made it's way into the rotation. It carries a LOT of stuff inside (phone, small first aid kit, Go-Pro, windbreaker and lights if necessary, etc) and has two side holders for bottles. I can go 3 deep on bottles and two of them stay relatively clean.

I will give a shoutout to the vest. I use a cheap Amazon running vest, which has a 2 liter bladder in it and a ton of front pockets for gels, handkerchief, tools, etc. It is much easier to drink from for me, but it is also hotter on my back, so it is a no go for long distance in the summer. Or this week.

2020-02-20 1:04 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by cdban66

That couch pic is an example of well earned bragging rights!!! #chasethechaise Well done Anne, that is one of the cooler items I have seen. I am trying to replicate that with something else at Piggy's at our world renowned, unofficial SAG and party stop. We have upped our game the past two years with a live band in the woods one year and the addition of a variety of adult beverages. We only pulled off the band for one year, as the land manager claims to have received complaints (from who, the pigs?) and put the end to that Tomfoolery.

Yes, I received an email that the Salsa Chaise was being retired. I was pretty sad about that but understand the reasons behind discontinuing the program.
I saw one event (can't recall where) that had a toilet you could sit on and get your picture taken.
Love the "band in the woods" theme! As I'll be retired next year and we are entertaining the idea of wintering in Florida, it's very possible that Steve and I could take in the glory of Piggy's Revenge.
So I'm going to be shameless and post my other Chaise pic - the first was at Land Run 2019. This was from Dirty Kanza in 2018, mile 180.

(chasiedirtykanza_591.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
chasiedirtykanza_591.jpg (4265KB - 4 downloads)
2020-02-21 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by cdban66

Yes, I received an email that the Salsa Chaise was being retired. I was pretty sad about that but understand the reasons behind discontinuing the program. I saw one event (can't recall where) that had a toilet you could sit on and get your picture taken. Love the "band in the woods" theme! As I'll be retired next year and we are entertaining the idea of wintering in Florida, it's very possible that Steve and I could take in the glory of Piggy's Revenge. So I'm going to be shameless and post my other Chaise pic - the first was at Land Run 2019. This was from Dirty Kanza in 2018, mile 180.
I love this photo ao much. Hey, of you do piggy's, Jim and I will come down and volunteer. That is my hometown. And Chris and his amazing wife are fun folk.

Edited by ceilidh 2020-02-21 9:15 AM
2020-02-21 5:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 22-23
Nancy - Augusta University 10K on Saturday
Jim, Ann-Marie. Janyne - Tour of Sufferlandria (wraps up on Sunday!)

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

2020-02-21 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

February 22-23

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Go Nancy! Survive the ToS 3!

2020-02-22 6:34 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

February 22-23

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Go Nancy! Survive the ToS 3!

Run Nancy, Run!Pedal hard ToSers..I am doing stage 9. If my internet and computer hold up
2020-02-22 12:46 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
The coldest day of the year? Of course it's 10k morning. I know 25 degrees is warm for many of you, but I live in SC and don't own the layers I had while living in Ohio & Utah.

Seriously, though, once I'm 5 min in, I really enjoy cold weather runs.

My goal was under 59 min. Well, in typical Augusta, GA fashion, the course didn't measure 10k. In fact, we were 1/2 mile short. The last 10k I did was almost 1/2 mile long. I met the goal (actually pleased with my 9:17 pace considering 2 years ago I was struggling to get near a 10 min/mile.) & would've easily hit the real goal had it been an actual 10k vs 9.2k.

I think what I'm most proud of is my ability to be able to "suffer" a bit when the effort started to get hard without backing off the pace.

Now that I've written it, what an odd proud moment that seems to the non-runner/non-triathlete. LOL.
2020-02-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs The coldest day of the year? Of course it's 10k morning. I know 25 degrees is warm for many of you, but I live in SC and don't own the layers I had while living in Ohio & Utah. Seriously, though, once I'm 5 min in, I really enjoy cold weather runs. My goal was under 59 min. Well, in typical Augusta, GA fashion, the course didn't measure 10k. In fact, we were 1/2 mile short. The last 10k I did was almost 1/2 mile long. I met the goal (actually pleased with my 9:17 pace considering 2 years ago I was struggling to get near a 10 min/mile.) & would've easily hit the real goal had it been an actual 10k vs 9.2k. I think what I'm most proud of is my ability to be able to "suffer" a bit when the effort started to get hard without backing off the pace. Now that I've written it, what an odd proud moment that seems to the non-runner/non-triathlete. LOL.

congratulations! How frustrating to have a mismeasured course though. Great improvement over 2 years too!!

2020-02-22 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs The coldest day of the year? Of course it's 10k morning. I know 25 degrees is warm for many of you, but I live in SC and don't own the layers I had while living in Ohio & Utah. Seriously, though, once I'm 5 min in, I really enjoy cold weather runs. My goal was under 59 min. Well, in typical Augusta, GA fashion, the course didn't measure 10k. In fact, we were 1/2 mile short. The last 10k I did was almost 1/2 mile long. I met the goal (actually pleased with my 9:17 pace considering 2 years ago I was struggling to get near a 10 min/mile.) & would've easily hit the real goal had it been an actual 10k vs 9.2k. I think what I'm most proud of is my ability to be able to "suffer" a bit when the effort started to get hard without backing off the pace. Now that I've written it, what an odd proud moment that seems to the non-runner/non-triathlete. LOL.

Thanks for representing the Manatees so well! 

P.S. She wore her shirt!!!

2020-02-23 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by glfprncs

The coldest day of the year? Of course it's 10k morning. I know 25 degrees is warm for many of you, but I live in SC and don't own the layers I had while living in Ohio & Utah.

My goal was under 59 min. Well, in typical Augusta, GA fashion, the course didn't measure 10k. In fact, we were 1/2 mile short. The last 10k I did was almost 1/2 mile long. I met the goal (actually pleased with my 9:17 pace considering 2 years ago I was struggling to get near a 10 min/mile.) & would've easily hit the real goal had it been an actual 10k vs 9.2k.

I think what I'm most proud of is my ability to be able to "suffer" a bit when the effort started to get hard without backing off the pace.

Now that I've written it, what an odd proud moment that seems to the non-runner/non-triathlete. LOL.

Congratulations, especially on your perseverance in gutting out the tough times in the race!

2020-02-23 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by glfprncs

Congratulations! Great improvement. The question that always strikes me, is with the technology we've had since the 1930's how do you miss the mark on the course by 1/2? It shouldn't but that stuff drives me crazy.
Even though I live in cold weather, I hate running in anything below freezing, not as much as I hate running in the heat.
2020-02-23 11:37 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

The first ride with the new gravel bike is in the books! What a fun bike!! While its rider isn't fast, the bike is and is super comfortable - at least for the 15-mile maiden ride. I forgot to put the water bottle in the cage, so I can't say whether or not a gritty drink will be an issue  The trail was around a lake with typical Florida scenery of lots of gators, birds of all variety, and vegetation you don't get elsewhere. The part i rode was dead flat, but there is a section that has hills, so that's on tap for my next outing. I think this is going to be a lot of fun!

2020-02-23 2:43 PM
in reply to: #5267493

User image

John

The course actually wasn't mismarked. There was a 1/4 out and back in mile 2; however, there was miscommunication between the RD and the individuals manning the beginning of the out & back (there was also a turn after the out & back). Many runners questioned them about the out & back and they said, "No. You just turn here."

The worst part is that as a fast 10k, many were planning to use it as a Peachtree Road Race qualifier, but because it was only 9.2k, they can no longer use it.

There was also a train that stopped a bunch of 1:45-1:50 half marathon runners & took 8 minutes to navigate through the crossing. The RD pulls permits and the train engineers are aware. They're supposed to hold outside of town until a set time, but this one must've missed the memo.
2020-02-23 2:45 PM
in reply to: #5267516

User image

Oh, and so many people were complaining about the cold. All it took for me to zip it was a memory of a 15 mile training run in GA in August when it was 101 + humidity.

I'll take that 26 degree running day, thank you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127