Other Resources 2021 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page

of 49

2021-07-22 4:12 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by JBacarella I've finished my adventure in tubeless tires. The most important thing I learned was it was messy, or I am messy, but I kind on knew that. Putting a tube into the tubeless wasn't bad. Just like putting a tube in a tube tire, only with messy sealant. I didn't end up riding on. I did buy the bacon tool and plugged the hole. I think that was really nifty, and easier than my imagination thought. I did decide to buy a new tire. I hope the weather lets me ride tomorrow. The toughest part of putting a new tubeless tire on was getting it to set. The biggest problem was the baby compressor I have does not really have the umph to push the air into the tire to get it to set. I ended up driving to the gas station and using their compressor. It popped right into place with a more powerful air compressor. I also bought the injector to put the sealant into the tire, instead of trying the leave a bead open and pour it in method. I predicted the mess I would make conducting that would be impressive. The injector worked perfectly and cleaned up easily. I will see the final results tomorrow. Putting the tubeless tire on the rim was not as bad as I expected. The plastic tire lever snapped it right onto the rim.
I hope you find tubeless to be worth the extra hassle and effort.

2021-07-22 5:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
This is the confession portion of my story. I tried to filled the old one with the compressed fix-a-flat. It continued to leak. I don't know why I did this, but I then decided to take the core out of the presta valve. The fix-a-flat shot out like Old Faithful. I of course performed this feat in my basement. Nothing in my basement went without fix-a-flat (including me) on it.

Edited by JBacarella 2021-07-22 5:46 PM
2021-07-22 5:52 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by JBacarella I've finished my adventure in tubeless tires. The most important thing I learned was it was messy, or I am messy, but I kind on knew that. Putting a tube into the tubeless wasn't bad. Just like putting a tube in a tube tire, only with messy sealant. I didn't end up riding on. I did buy the bacon tool and plugged the hole. I think that was really nifty, and easier than my imagination thought. I did decide to buy a new tire. I hope the weather lets me ride tomorrow. The toughest part of putting a new tubeless tire on was getting it to set. The biggest problem was the baby compressor I have does not really have the umph to push the air into the tire to get it to set. I ended up driving to the gas station and using their compressor. It popped right into place with a more powerful air compressor. I also bought the injector to put the sealant into the tire, instead of trying the leave a bead open and pour it in method. I predicted the mess I would make conducting that would be impressive. The injector worked perfectly and cleaned up easily. I will see the final results tomorrow. Putting the tubeless tire on the rim was not as bad as I expected. The plastic tire lever snapped it right onto the rim.

This story makes me nervous to have to do anything with my tubeless tires!!

2021-07-23 8:18 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk anyone racing LP this weekend? Or spectating? I'll be there to support my cousin so let me know! Yeah yeah you can give me crap for being MIA when I get back
I'll be there spectating!

sent you my number - text if you want to meet up on game day!!
2021-07-23 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 24-25
Anne - Dust Bowl 100 (IN) on Saturday
Robin K-C - Tri Boulder on Saturday
Karen - IM 70.3 Oregon on Sunday

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Congratulations to Lisa on completing her radiation treatments. Recover well and stay healthy.

2021-07-23 12:29 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Kevin had a flat on Sunday.  He got out his bacon and bacon fork and shoved it in the problem area.  He used his hand pump to put in some air and was able to ride back to he car without any further issues.  He did end up tossing that tire.  It was worn out and he was trying to get it to last a few more weeks.  He's going to do a big bike service in August (it's on the mechanic's schedule, the parts have been ordered, etc. I'm sure it will be $$$) before his trip to Utah in September.  Anyway, he was pleased that the bacon got him back to the car.

He did not replace the tire himself.  He brought the wheel with the "bacon" tire and an old but still usable tire to the mechanic and had Matt fix it for him.

Re: valve core, someone in my house may have accidentally unscrewed his valve core instead of the valve stem.  Fortunately, he was at home when it happened so it was a matter of just pumping the tire back up.  Oh, I think that more sealant was added as well since the core was out anyway.

2021-07-23 1:11 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Kevin had a flat on Sunday.  He got out his bacon and bacon fork and shoved it in the problem area.  He used his hand pump to put in some air and was able to ride back to he car without any further issues.  He did end up tossing that tire.  It was worn out and he was trying to get it to last a few more weeks.  He's going to do a big bike service in August (it's on the mechanic's schedule, the parts have been ordered, etc. I'm sure it will be $$$) before his trip to Utah in September.  Anyway, he was pleased that the bacon got him back to the car.

He did not replace the tire himself.  He brought the wheel with the "bacon" tire and an old but still usable tire to the mechanic and had Matt fix it for him.

Re: valve core, someone in my house may have accidentally unscrewed his valve core instead of the valve stem.  Fortunately, he was at home when it happened so it was a matter of just pumping the tire back up.  Oh, I think that more sealant was added as well since the core was out anyway.

These types of stories were why I was willing to try tubeless to begin with. Still don't want to use all the tools I bought in just in case

2021-07-23 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

These types of stories were why I was willing to try tubeless to begin with. Still don't want to use all the tools I bought in just in case

Kevin was super happy to be able to ride back to the car!

2021-07-23 8:46 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto

Hey Manatees! New developments over here - i just registered for Muskoka 70.3 which is now a go in Ontario after Tremblant was cancelled for September. I now have 5 weeks to go to get myself in in HIM shape which actually isn't too crazy - I just haven't swum in some time since i live in the land of lockdown which turns out to be good since we have very high vaccination rate. 

What a crazy year!!!

2021-07-24 4:21 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey Manatees! New developments over here - i just registered for Muskoka 70.3 which is now a go in Ontario after Tremblant was cancelled for September. I now have 5 weeks to go to get myself in in HIM shape which actually isn't too crazy - I just haven't swum in some time since i live in the land of lockdown which turns out to be good since we have very high vaccination rate. 

What a crazy year!!!

Woo Hoo! Glad you get to race!

Canada is doing a really good job with the vaccines. I am jealous!!

2021-07-24 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

It looks like Lake Placid is on for one more year.  AFter that who knows.

New Thread
Other Resources 2021 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 49